9 replies to this topic

TomSahz
  • TomSahz
  • Master

• PipPipPipPip
  • posts 2,915

Posted 07 October 2010 - 12:43 PM

Hi everyone,

Its been impossible not to notice the support for the idea of excluding particular stores from showing up in product lists. After discussing several ideas with the pricespy team there seems to be a viable option possible.

Instead of the priespy user blacklisting or excluding a store to hide their prices, how about a 'favourite store' feature in which the user is able to mark certain stores as their favourites? That way there could be an option to have items inside product lists show the lowest price from among your favourite stores instead of the actual lowest price accross all stores.

For example a sony walkman in my product list is stocked by Store Y at $50 and Store Z for $60. If Store Z was marked as a favourite store then the lowest price would show up in the product list as $60.

I believe that an idea like this would give the user another option available when deciding on pricing and what to buy and add to pricespy's functionality in facilitating that need.

Please give your feedback on this proposal. Do you like it? Are there any ways to improve it? Any other information that needs to be considered?

LinuxUser
  • LinuxUser
  • PriceSpy

• posts 9,021

Posted 07 October 2010 - 02:08 PM

I think that sounds like a good idea.

Recommended Power Supplies Recommended review sites Why stores shouldn't be removed RAM voltage

i5 7400, Gigabyte GA-B250M-D3H, 16 GB DDR4, integrated graphics, Adata XPG SX8200 480 GB (NVMe), 3x Kingston SSDNow KC380 120 GB, Corsair MX100 128 GB, Spinpoint F3 1TB HDD, DVD writer, all inside a wood case I built, Dell U2412M 24", U2311H 23" IPS and Philips 150B4 15" monitors, wood-bodied mouse, Dvorak keyboard, openSUSE Tumbleweed, Windows 8.1 Pro in a VB VM inside Linux

I may occasionally give advice regarding (consumer) law, but it is only my opinion based on my reading – I am not a lawyer.

Romans 3:23; 6:23; 5:8; 10:9-10,13

rusticdog
  • rusticdog
  • Rookie

• posts 5

Posted 07 October 2010 - 02:27 PM

I'd probably still be in favour of blacklisting personally.

But then I want to shunt certain stores out of view due to their bad or non existent rating, so equally I could benefit if there was a way that stores with a chosen rating were automatically favourited. So for example if I could set against my profile to only show stores with 7 stars or higher, then that would manage my favourites for me and I could achieve the same result than if I were to just blacklist a bunch of stores.

You could probably argue this isn't necessarily fair to new stores, but I doubt there is that many people that would use the feature for it to matter.

LinuxUser
  • LinuxUser
  • PriceSpy

• posts 9,021

Posted 07 October 2010 - 02:40 PM

Maybe having both would be better?

Recommended Power Supplies Recommended review sites Why stores shouldn't be removed RAM voltage

i5 7400, Gigabyte GA-B250M-D3H, 16 GB DDR4, integrated graphics, Adata XPG SX8200 480 GB (NVMe), 3x Kingston SSDNow KC380 120 GB, Corsair MX100 128 GB, Spinpoint F3 1TB HDD, DVD writer, all inside a wood case I built, Dell U2412M 24", U2311H 23" IPS and Philips 150B4 15" monitors, wood-bodied mouse, Dvorak keyboard, openSUSE Tumbleweed, Windows 8.1 Pro in a VB VM inside Linux

I may occasionally give advice regarding (consumer) law, but it is only my opinion based on my reading – I am not a lawyer.

Romans 3:23; 6:23; 5:8; 10:9-10,13

rusticdog
  • rusticdog
  • Rookie

• posts 5

Posted 07 October 2010 - 03:06 PM

Maybe having both would be better?

Yeah I think even with a favourite system, people will still want to blacklist certain stores, even if they did carry a solid reputation.

DividingByZero
  • DividingByZero

• PipPip
  • posts 185

Posted 07 October 2010 - 03:52 PM

I would love to have both but would be happy with either blacklisting or favouriting.

Favouriting would be the best way for me as there are fewer stores that I'd want to add to favourites than there are stores I'd want to blacklist.

TomSahz
  • TomSahz
  • Master

• PipPipPipPip
  • posts 2,915

Posted 07 October 2010 - 04:20 PM

Yeah I think even with a favourite system, people will still want to blacklist certain stores, even if they did carry a solid reputation.

Basically the idea with favouriting is that users are able to narrow down which stores they see prices from as a sort of first round of price comparison, and they can then compare the best price of favoured stores to those of the entire store pool to see if there is a significant difference that might cause them to perhaps try a new store. Im aware that people will already have views of stores but its been discussed and it seems that blacklisting is not likely to be implemented because of the messy nature of what it entails. There could be dishonesty etc which the favouriting system eliminates, in my eyes anyway.

I would love to have both but would be happy with either blacklisting or favouriting.

Favouriting would be the best way for me as there are fewer stores that I'd want to add to favourites than there are stores I'd want to blacklist.

Yes this is another reason why i think favouriting has the advantage over blacklisting, its far easier to favourite the stores you already like and perhaps add new ones in the future. It means you can pretty much just ignore the stores you dont want to deal with completely without making an effort to do so.

Keep the feedback coming in.

TomSahz
  • TomSahz
  • Master

• PipPipPipPip
  • posts 2,915

Posted 07 October 2010 - 04:31 PM

But then I want to shunt certain stores out of view due to their bad or non existent rating

I think it would be a little unfair to exclude stores without a rating.

There are many stores without ratings for whatever reason. Perhaps someone had a good experience and therefore didnt come on to post a negative review. In my experience, people are more likely to make the effort to complain than to praise a store. I dont think thats a bad thing, just generally how it works because its easy to forget a smooth transaction but hard to forget a bad one.

chris cobzaru
  • chris cobzaru
  • Wannabe

• Pip
  • posts 19

Posted 26 September 2012 - 08:17 PM

I would agree with having the all the stores here and everybody share their experience rather than taking them off, you find them on the net and get into trouble without any warning

Outlander_04
  • Outlander_04
  • Apprentice

• PipPipPip
  • posts 553

Posted 27 September 2012 - 12:07 AM

Dont you just get a favorites list by selecting the stores you want prices from when you search ?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users