Photo

Top end smartphone choice ($1200 or under)

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

KrazyKap
  • KrazyKap
  • Veteran

• PipPipPipPip
  • posts 1,604

Posted 12 October 2019 - 11:51 AM

Hi all!

I've just flown in from the UK, and I'm soon buying myself a new phone, had been considering the Asus Zenfone 6, which from all the reviews looked to be the best in its price bracket at under 600 GBP for the top spec model, but the market is different here...

The huge battery is a draw, pretty much top end specs across the board and even has a headphone jack, but availability and unfamiliarity with all the phone retailers has me questioning everything.

The last high-end smartphone I bought was the LG G6 and it was great for the price (360 GBP Oct 2017), and had essentially everything I needed, but I kind of destroyed it...

Just need a little point in the right direction!

Cheers

My Rig: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv | Phanteks PH-TC12DX | i5 4670K | Asus Z97M-Plus | EVGA GTX 970 | 16GB Patriot RAM | Silverstone Strider Plus

Peripherals: AOC 12367Fh + LG Flatron 21.5" | AT-M50X + Samson Go Mic | CM Storm Quick Fire Pro - Cherry MX Red | Roccat Kone Pure

LinuxUser
  • LinuxUser
  • PriceSpy

• posts 9,005

Posted 12 October 2019 - 07:55 PM

Which aspect is the most troubling? Stores or phones? I'm not much help on the latter, unfortunately.

With regards to stores, I'd strongly recommend you stay very far away from Supero (they're absolute scum), preferably avoid Mobile Station too, and otherwise you shouldn't be too bad.

Recommended Power Supplies Recommended review sites Why stores shouldn't be removed RAM voltage

i5 7400, Gigabyte GA-B250M-D3H, 16 GB DDR4, integrated graphics, Adata XPG SX8200 480 GB (NVMe), 3x Kingston SSDNow KC380 120 GB, Corsair MX100 128 GB, Spinpoint F3 1TB HDD, DVD writer, all inside a wood case I built, Dell U2412M 24", U2311H 23" IPS and Philips 150B4 15" monitors, wood-bodied mouse, Dvorak keyboard, openSUSE Tumbleweed, Windows 8.1 Pro in a VB VM inside Linux

I may occasionally give advice regarding (consumer) law, but it is only my opinion based on my reading – I am not a lawyer.

Romans 3:23; 6:23; 5:8; 10:9-10,13

KrazyKap
  • KrazyKap
  • Veteran

• PipPipPipPip
  • posts 1,604

Posted 12 October 2019 - 08:07 PM

Cheers I'll keep that in mind.

In terms of the stores, there's such a variation in prices on some models, it's hard to be confident in them.

When it comes to phone choice, I've trawled through reviews and benchmarks and comparisons for hours and I feel like there's really not much in it except for a few key differences at the top end.

I'm also hoping to find some confidence that spending the extra ~$500 over something like a Xiaomi Mi 9 or similiar will be worth it. Got until Thursday to decide either way.

My Rig: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv | Phanteks PH-TC12DX | i5 4670K | Asus Z97M-Plus | EVGA GTX 970 | 16GB Patriot RAM | Silverstone Strider Plus

Peripherals: AOC 12367Fh + LG Flatron 21.5" | AT-M50X + Samson Go Mic | CM Storm Quick Fire Pro - Cherry MX Red | Roccat Kone Pure

Sury
  • Sury
  • Amateur

• PipPip
  • posts 61

Posted 13 October 2019 - 10:07 AM

If you can hold out till Labour Weekend, then I am sure there will be sales from the likes of PB Tech,Noel Leeming etc... can save a bit of money.
Black Friday sales are 5-6weeks away as well.

You missed PBTech's phone sale by 2weeks... they actually had very decent sales on phones.. picked up a S10 for my sister for $899.

I would recommend sticking with the bigger stores.. you may need to pay a bit extra but at least you know they won't muck you around with shipping delays, returns or RMAs.

Edited by Sury, 13 October 2019 - 10:16 AM.

Corsair 750D | Asus Z97 Deluxe(NFC & WLC) | Intel i7 4690K | Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB DDR3 | Gigabyte G1 980TI | Samsung 840 256GB | Samsung 850 Evo 500GB | WD Blue 1TB | Sound Blaster Z | Corsair AX1200i | Noiseblocker BlackSilent Pro Fans
Custom Water Cooled: EK GPU Block | Koolance 380i CPU Block | Bitspower Fittings | Bitspower 150 Upgrade Kit | Bitspower D5 Mod Top | Bitspower D5 Mod Kit | SwifTech D5 Pump | PrimoChill Compression Fittings | Primochill PETG Tubing

LinuxUser
  • LinuxUser
  • PriceSpy

• posts 9,005

Posted 15 October 2019 - 09:06 AM

Cheers I'll keep that in mind.

In terms of the stores, there's such a variation in prices on some models, it's hard to be confident in them.

When it comes to phone choice, I've trawled through reviews and benchmarks and comparisons for hours and I feel like there's really not much in it except for a few key differences at the top end.

I'm also hoping to find some confidence that spending the extra ~$500 over something like a Xiaomi Mi 9 or similiar will be worth it. Got until Thursday to decide either way.

Yeah, there really isn't much between the various different top-end phones. And there isn't a huge difference between them and something mid-range either – mostly faster processors which are of minimal use, and potentially actual downsides.

The thing I'd be looking for in a phone is support for LineageOS or similar. That way you can keep getting upgrades long after the original manufacturer stops supporting it. For instance, my old LG G2 (passed on to someone else now) is on the latest version of Android, and regularly has updates available.

• fstan likes this

Recommended Power Supplies Recommended review sites Why stores shouldn't be removed RAM voltage

i5 7400, Gigabyte GA-B250M-D3H, 16 GB DDR4, integrated graphics, Adata XPG SX8200 480 GB (NVMe), 3x Kingston SSDNow KC380 120 GB, Corsair MX100 128 GB, Spinpoint F3 1TB HDD, DVD writer, all inside a wood case I built, Dell U2412M 24", U2311H 23" IPS and Philips 150B4 15" monitors, wood-bodied mouse, Dvorak keyboard, openSUSE Tumbleweed, Windows 8.1 Pro in a VB VM inside Linux

I may occasionally give advice regarding (consumer) law, but it is only my opinion based on my reading – I am not a lawyer.

Romans 3:23; 6:23; 5:8; 10:9-10,13

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users