9 replies to this topic

the_tick
  • the_tick
  • Rookie

• posts 5

Posted 04 October 2015 - 07:32 AM

Morning,

Just a quick couple of questions.

My girlfriend and I have just bought a new house, it is new and has never been hooked up to internet before. As it is in a new sub division there is only fiber available to the house.

My gf's parent recently had fiber hooked up and I was wondering how the setup is inside the house. The way it looks to me is that its fiber all the way from the street to a box inside the house, from that it goes to a wireless router (Vodafone) via a RJ-45 lead.

My first question is what is a typical setup? As i have described above could that Vodafone router be substituted for any other router as the actual connecting to the ISP is made at the previous box? Or is that box just to convert from a fiber signal to a RJ-45 that the Vodafone router can take.

I also need to choose who to go with for my new connection I like the sound of Bigpipe but would need to provide my own router. What would people recommend? Or is there a ISP someone would recommend that provides the router. I would be happy to sign up for a 12month contract but would prefer Bigpipe if possible.

Cheers,

Mike

Unregistered43663
  • Unregistered43663
  • Addicted

• PipPipPipPip
  • posts 1,057

Posted 04 October 2015 - 07:53 AM

Congratulations on the new house!

A typical setup: the fiber on the street going to an ONT (Optical network termination) which converts fiber to a rj45. You can use any router from here that has vlan tagging. That's my understanding at least.
My Pooter: Core i5-3570k 4.4GHz || Asus Z77 Sabertooth || 2x Asus GTX 670 DC2-4GD5 4Gb 1.15GHz SLI || Kingston Genesis 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1866MHz CL9 1.65V (1.5V) || 120GB OCZ Vertex 4 || Silverstone Strider 750W ST75F 80+ Gold || Corsair 600T Silver Edition || Windows 8 Pro with Media Center 64-bit || Hyper 212 Evo || Silverstone 120mm Air Penetrator Blue LED CPU Cooler Fans || NZXT Blue LED Lighting ||

the_tick
  • the_tick
  • Rookie

• posts 5

Posted 04 October 2015 - 08:59 AM

Oh ok so it doesn't need to be a special fiber router or anything? Do you know if that ONT is supplied by Chorus or by the ISP? 

Unregistered43663
  • Unregistered43663
  • Addicted

• PipPipPipPip
  • posts 1,057

Posted 04 October 2015 - 11:52 AM

The ONT is usually the fiber provider. As far as I remember, the fiber provider's obligation extends just to the ONT. It's usually installed in a convenient location outside your house, so generally next to your electricity meter/mains box.

To answer the router question, no not really. It just needs to at least have VLAN tagging so old routers won't cut it. But most modern routers will be fine. I'm sure someone can recommend you a router on the forum here as I don't really keep up with the consumer side of routers any more.
  • TomSahz likes this
My Pooter: Core i5-3570k 4.4GHz || Asus Z77 Sabertooth || 2x Asus GTX 670 DC2-4GD5 4Gb 1.15GHz SLI || Kingston Genesis 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1866MHz CL9 1.65V (1.5V) || 120GB OCZ Vertex 4 || Silverstone Strider 750W ST75F 80+ Gold || Corsair 600T Silver Edition || Windows 8 Pro with Media Center 64-bit || Hyper 212 Evo || Silverstone 120mm Air Penetrator Blue LED CPU Cooler Fans || NZXT Blue LED Lighting ||

19th
  • 19th
  • Apprentice

• PipPipPip
  • posts 644

Posted 04 October 2015 - 01:04 PM

What router you can use depends on the ISP. Not all ISPs use VLAN tagging. Pretty sure MyRepublic don't.

Chorus install the ONT as part of the fiber installation.

I think both Vodafone and Telecom use some iteration of the Huawei HG659, which looks pretty decent on paper, but I don't actually have any experience with it.

Snap (now 2degrees) and Orcon both use the FritzBox 7490 for their fiber which I have (I'm with Orcon on Gigabit), it's a pretty decent router, don't have any major complaints about it other than it's ugly as fuuu.

I think most ISPs only give you the better routers if you're on a 100mbit or faster connection, they seem to give you cheapies on the 30mbit connections.

• TomSahz likes this

la102
  • la102
  • Amateur

• PipPip
  • posts 70

Posted 04 October 2015 - 01:40 PM

grab a netgear R8000 bro, it's insane and has VLAN tagging in a new firmware update

nutellaaero
  • nutellaaero
  • Wannabe

• Pip
  • posts 19

Posted 05 October 2015 - 12:29 PM

I have to agree that the fritzbox is one of the better isp provided routers I've had but the downside is it's really really really ugly. It has decent customization options and comes with 2.4ghz and 5 ghz network with good range and stability. In fact, it's more stable than my WRT1900AC which is quite sad, since I paid for that one and it has random crash issues.

• 19th likes this

andynz
  • andynz
  • Wannabe

• Pip
  • posts 24

Posted 05 October 2015 - 02:14 PM

I think both Vodafone and Telecom use some iteration of the Huawei HG659, which looks pretty decent on paper, but I don't actually have any experience with it.

I have used the Vodafone HG659 with VDSL and can report that it is rubbish. Almost unusable with multiple clients accessing at the same time and requires frequent restarts. Google "vodafone HG659 wifi" and you'll find numerous reports along the same lines. Recommend disabling WiFi and using a decent router as an access point if you're stuck with one of these lemons.

• 19th likes this

19th
  • 19th
  • Apprentice

• PipPipPip
  • posts 644

Posted 05 October 2015 - 02:58 PM

I have to agree that the fritzbox is one of the better isp provided routers I've had but the downside is it's really really really ugly. It has decent customization options and comes with 2.4ghz and 5 ghz network with good range and stability. In fact, it's more stable than my WRT1900AC which is quite sad, since I paid for that one and it has random crash issues.

Yeah, think your experience with it is pretty similar to mine. It's been solid for the time I've had it, only wish the 5GHz AC had a bit more range, but not sure how possible that is. I think external aerials are the way to go really.

I have used the Vodafone HG659 with VDSL and can report that it is rubbish. Almost unusable with multiple clients accessing at the same time and requires frequent restarts. Google "vodafone HG659 wifi" and you'll find numerous reports along the same lines. Recommend disabling WiFi and using a decent router as an access point if you're stuck with one of these lemons.

Not too surprised about that, bit disappointing though.

OP I reckon you would be best going for either 2degrees, Orcon or Bigpipe. There have been a lot of posts on GP about poor internet performance (micro-outages, int. bandwidth and whatnot) from 2degrees since they took over snap, but it doesn't seem to be affecting everyone.

I'm with Orcon and have been happy with them, I would personally go with them unless you plan to buy your own router, then go BigPipe if you have access to them.

The FritzBox is definitely a solid, good performing router, with a lot of features. I have mine running NAS and it works great. It's far from the best router out there but it definitely competes well with routers in the $200+ range.

• TomSahz likes this

andytheape
  • andytheape

• PipPip
  • posts 144

Posted 05 October 2015 - 09:55 PM

Ive found MyRepublic really good although I think they have dropped some of their deals and the general price has gone up a bit (we got first 3months free + reasonable router + lower price + no contract) but i found them very helpful when i had an issue which i think was caused by my messing with the connection somehow and using a router they didnt supply.

You can still get $20 playtech credit when joining and lower prices for signing up for longer.

I use Netgear R6300V2 with a 3tb external HDD plugged into it which works pretty great overall. Anyone looking for a new router they seem so much cheaper in the US if you wait for one to come up in a deal.

• TomSahz likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users