44 replies to this topic

JoshHunter
  • JoshHunter
  • Master

• PipPipPipPip
  • posts 3,782

Posted 01 July 2014 - 01:47 PM

The room is rather cold :P

11 Degrees minimum is interesting. You'd probably want to run that test for an hour to find at which temperature it stabilises and then let it cool off to find the idle or normal temp.

I'm making the assumption you're running it fan less?

CBF.

I have a 500RPM fan running next to the heatsink just while I make sure everything's sweet, I'll remove it shortly.
  • MassaHarri and LinuxUser like this

JoshHunter
  • JoshHunter
  • Master

• PipPipPipPip
  • posts 3,782

Posted 22 July 2014 - 11:01 PM

Um so photo's haven't happened yet. My room is really dark! I promise there will be some soon. I've also started snipping my heatsink fins with some wire cutters xD I'll be able to get a picture of that tomorrow as it's slightly easier to move into the sun that my PC :D
  • LinuxUser and KrazyKap like this

JoshHunter
  • JoshHunter
  • Master

• PipPipPipPip
  • posts 3,782

Posted 02 August 2014 - 06:00 PM

Finished! Massive thank you to Scrypt for importing my MK-26! There will be photo's as soon as the sun's shining brightly enough ^_^
  • TomSahz, LinuxUser, jtchal and 1 other like this

JoshHunter
  • JoshHunter
  • Master

• PipPipPipPip
  • posts 3,782

Posted 03 August 2014 - 01:11 PM

Picture time finally.

Pretty motherboard:

Posted Image

Damn it, my big ass heatsink blocks the top PCI-E slot:

Posted Image

A badly-lit working machine without a graphics card:

Posted Image

Another shot of a badly-lit working machine without a graphics card. I really need to work on my photography:

Posted Image

.... I forgot to take pictures of my heatsink when I cut it back with a pair of these and sanded it a little. I did a terrible job but it worked a treat. I really should get a picture of it though, it's pretty ghetto and great. I'll see how I feel later in the week, I run out of Coollaboratory Liquid Pro so I don't really wanna take the heatsink off again.

Finished:

Posted Image

All the dust are belong to:

Posted Image

This one does it a little more justice:

Posted Image

Shiny heatsinky goodness:

Posted Image

Thanks Seasonic, sleeving cables sucks and hurts my fingers:

Posted Image

Until next time!
  • TomSahz, LinuxUser, S0up2up and 5 others like this

jtchal
  • jtchal
  • Addicted

• PipPipPipPip
  • posts 1,125

Posted 03 August 2014 - 04:00 PM

Awesome man, great to finally see your rig! Are you 100% happy with everything or are you going to be changing things?

- Battlelog -
 | Corsair AX650 | InWin 904 | Corsair H100i | And not much else at the moment...

Word Of Madness
  • Word Of Madness
  • Veteran

• PipPipPipPip
  • posts 2,186

Posted 03 August 2014 - 04:22 PM

Nice! What are the black and purple sleeved cables? Just the leftover front panel connectors from Mofo's build?
|| Big Bear || Viceroy || Viceroy Build Log || Peripherals ||
|| Steam ||
|| My name does not have an "L" in it ||

JoshHunter
  • JoshHunter
  • Master

• PipPipPipPip
  • posts 3,782

Posted 03 August 2014 - 06:46 PM

Awesome man, great to finally see your rig! Are you 100% happy with everything or are you going to be changing things?

I'm pretty happy with it aye :D I'm sorta keen for a wee light strip or something so it looks nicer when it's dark but it's super quick and super quiet. I can definitely improve the cable management too so I'll get to that properly some time. I have some little clips and stuff left over from past builds so I should be able to do a decent job. I also wouldn't mind fixing that lil' scratch on the front. Lastly, I have about 40°C to spare on both my chips so if I require so more grunt I could easily get a higher clocked i5 or a beastier GPU in there. Max temps on Fallout 3 (it's the gruntiest thing I play right now) are about 48°C. I'll run some benches on some more demanding software this week and post the results. I could possibly do a better job of my heatsink too, I just realised that I could get a picture of it just by removing my GPU, so I'll try do that this week.

Edit: And maybe I could do something about all the dust!

Nice! What are the black and purple sleeved cables? Just the leftover front panel connectors from Mofo's build?

Yeah just front panel connectors from Mofo's last build. They're pretty nicely done, and look a hell of a lot better than the stock ones.

tehkhop
  • tehkhop
  • Veteran

• PipPipPipPip
  • posts 1,511

Posted 03 August 2014 - 06:53 PM

That heatsink is massive O_O.

Give your case a dusting :D
  • jonovw likes this
Computers: Sirius | HP 650 15" Celeron Laptop
Mobile Devices: OnePlus One 64GB | iPad Mini 16GB White | Cheap 10.1" Android Tablet | HP Touchpad
Stuff Ralph54 owes me: 1GB Black USB Stick | SATA 3 cable | IDE/SATA to USB | 8GB Black USB Stick

JoshHunter
  • JoshHunter
  • Master

• PipPipPipPip
  • posts 3,782

Posted 03 August 2014 - 07:08 PM

That heatsink is massive O_O.

Give your case a dusting :D

Indeed. To both of your statements.

TomSahz
  • TomSahz
  • Master

• PipPipPipPip
  • posts 2,903

Posted 04 August 2014 - 09:46 AM

Max temps on Fallout 3 (it's the gruntiest thing I play right now) are about 48°C.

Wow thats awesome, I would have expected at least high 50's.

JoshHunter
  • JoshHunter
  • Master

• PipPipPipPip
  • posts 3,782

Posted 04 August 2014 - 10:16 AM

Dunedin man! Overclockers'/passive-builders' haven :)
  • TomSahz and LinuxUser like this

JoshHunter
  • JoshHunter
  • Master

• PipPipPipPip
  • posts 3,782

Posted 07 August 2014 - 11:26 PM

Annd 50°C max on my GPU playing Borderlands 2 at 1080P with 4xAA. 46°C on the CPU. This has been an enormous success!
  • TomSahz, LinuxUser, tehkhop and 1 other like this

MassaHarri
  • MassaHarri
  • Apprentice

• PipPipPip
  • posts 930

Posted 08 August 2014 - 08:05 AM

Have you tried going fanless without the noctuas? What speed or voltage do they run at at the moment?

Have you done temp comparisons with and without the side panel yet?
  • LinuxUser likes this

JoshHunter
  • JoshHunter
  • Master

• PipPipPipPip
  • posts 3,782

Posted 08 August 2014 - 01:42 PM

I haven't. Although I ultimately only bought the Noctuas as a contingency plan. They're so quiet though :P I planned to just hold onto the Noctuas until such a time where it got hotter like in Summer. The bottom fan will be a little bit of a pain to remove but I could easily remove the top one, I guess I can just unplug them though lol. I actually couldn't tell you what voltage they're running on, I think they both have ULNA's attached (resistor cables) so they'd be doing something between 5-7V so i'd estimate ~600RPM.

Nah I haven't. I wouldn't ever use it without the side panel so the data is meaningless to me. And the dust would be very real.
  • TomSahz, MassaHarri and LinuxUser like this

LinuxUser
  • LinuxUser
  • PriceSpy

• posts 8,999

Posted 08 August 2014 - 09:00 PM

I think it is a good idea to try it with the fans unplugged. The fans being installed shouldn't mess up the airflow too much...
  • MassaHarri likes this

Recommended Power Supplies Recommended review sites Why stores shouldn't be removed RAM voltage

i5 7400, Gigabyte GA-B250M-D3H, 16 GB DDR4, integrated graphics, Adata XPG SX8200 480 GB (NVMe), 3x Kingston SSDNow KC380 120 GB, Corsair MX100 128 GB, Spinpoint F3 1TB HDD, DVD writer, all inside a wood case I built, Dell U2412M 24", U2311H 23" IPS and Philips 150B4 15" monitors, wood-bodied mouse, Dvorak keyboard, openSUSE Tumbleweed, Windows 8.1 Pro in a VB VM inside Linux

I may occasionally give advice regarding (consumer) law, but it is only my opinion based on my reading – I am not a lawyer.

Romans 3:23; 6:23; 5:8; 10:9-10,13

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users