• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

Scrypt
  • Scrypt
  • Addicted

• PipPipPipPip
  • posts 1,017

Posted 30 October 2013 - 07:59 PM

I could think of a better name for this rant, but it would consist mostly of censorship. Let’s start from the beginning.

On Saturday I received, courtesy of CL's 10th, a 240GB SSD for Octanol, my current PS3 project. But today, I decided on scrapping the project, as the need for it really wasn’t there; but I still wanted the hard drive upgrade, as my current OEM 120GB HDD was full. So before I could move all my game data from the HDD, I had to install the latest update. The update data, downloaded via the internet connection, had corrupted mid-installation, meaning a manual installation via USB had to overwrite the corrupted data.

I decided to hook up the PS3 HDD to my computer to move the files to an external hard drive, so the files can then be moved directly to the SSD in the PS3 via USB. But the computer wouldn’t recognise the HDD as a storage space. So I had no choice but to unplug the HDD, reinstall it to the PS3, then download the update data onto a flash drive.

Midway through the download, the computer had Win8’s version of a BSOD (the blue screen with the :’( face), stating a “driver-power-failure” message. All the resulting reboots lead to the Automatic Repair, where nothing can be fixed initially, and options like System Refresh, System Image Reload, and Safe Mode won’t work. The only option I haven’t tried is a full System Restore, wiping the entire drive, which I don’t want to do.

So now I have no computer to do work on, no PS3 to play games when my computer doesn’t work, and yet another $200 OS that doesn’t work, not to mention the fact that I couldn’t reactivate the edition I’m using after I changed motherboards, when the whole reason for getting the OEM was for the Personal Use License allowing for reactivations after hardware changes.

So, I need options, before I start, yet again, rebuilding my system. For now, I may use the 240GB SSD and install Ubuntu, just until this load of so-and-so gets sorted.

PriceSpyNZ's Official Procractinator - bask in the never-updating BST Thread 'CERULEAN': Aerocool DS200 | Corsair TX650v2 | Asus P8Z68-V Pro/GEN3 | Intel Core i7 2600K @4GHz | Antec Kuhler 920 | Corsair Vengeance 4x4GB DDR3 @1600MHz | EVGA GeForce GTX 680 4GB | Crucial M500 240GB SSD + 4x WD Caviar Black 640GB HDD (RAID 0) | Windows 10 Pro  Dell Ultrasharp 29" 2560x1080 + 24" 1920x1080 | AAudio Technica ATH-M70X Headphones + Asus Xonar U7 | Logitech G910v2 Orion Spectrum | Logitech G900 Chaos Spectrum  + Logitech G640 | Samsung Galalxy S8 || 'CERULEAN' || 'SNOW WHITE' || ----- || BUY/SELL/TRADE THREAD ||

LinuxUser
  • LinuxUser
  • PriceSpy

• posts 9,005

Posted 30 October 2013 - 08:23 PM

You do need to come up with a better name, but as I can't think of anything I'll leave it for now.

Yeah, put Linux on the SSD (or a memory stick) to boot the PC to do whatever you need to get it going again, and also so you've got your own machine to use for the internet and such. Don't necessarily go for Ubuntu unless you specifically want that – try Linux Mint or openSUSE.

Did you register the Personal Use Licence thing? Did you try activating by phone?

The computer possibly doesn't recognise the HDD because the PS3 probably uses a file system Windows doesn't support.

If System Refresh and so on don't work, then it is Windows being stupid – that basically reinstalls Windows without removing your stuff (and leaves your programs intact too?).

Recommended Power Supplies Recommended review sites Why stores shouldn't be removed RAM voltage

i5 7400, Gigabyte GA-B250M-D3H, 16 GB DDR4, integrated graphics, Adata XPG SX8200 480 GB (NVMe), 3x Kingston SSDNow KC380 120 GB, Corsair MX100 128 GB, Spinpoint F3 1TB HDD, DVD writer, all inside a wood case I built, Dell U2412M 24", U2311H 23" IPS and Philips 150B4 15" monitors, wood-bodied mouse, Dvorak keyboard, openSUSE Tumbleweed, Windows 8.1 Pro in a VB VM inside Linux

I may occasionally give advice regarding (consumer) law, but it is only my opinion based on my reading – I am not a lawyer.

Romans 3:23; 6:23; 5:8; 10:9-10,13

MassaHarri
  • MassaHarri
  • Apprentice

• PipPipPip
  • posts 930

Posted 30 October 2013 - 08:40 PM

One word and a number : Windows 7

Windows 8 is still a pile of potatoes

Republican
  • Republican
  • Apprentice

• PipPipPip
  • posts 316

Posted 30 October 2013 - 08:53 PM

Ps3 hard drive is encrypted per console, so you need to be under 3.55 to jailbreak it and you could ftp it.

I got the boot loop with windows 8 on my first 4 hours so I switched back to windows 7, that's why I can't recommended it, atlease with 7 you can skip that step.

You need to becareful updating ps3 firmware as you are flashing it, you don't want a corrupted nand, md5 check it also.

Scrypt
  • Scrypt
  • Addicted

• PipPipPipPip
  • posts 1,017

Posted 30 October 2013 - 09:08 PM

You do need to come up with a better name, but as I can't think of anything I'll leave it for now.

Yeah, put Linux on the SSD (or a memory stick) to boot the PC to do whatever you need to get it going again, and also so you've got your own machine to use for the internet and such. Don't necessarily go for Ubuntu unless you specifically want that – try Linux Mint or openSUSE.

Did you register the Personal Use Licence thing? Did you try activating by phone?

The computer possibly doesn't recognise the HDD because the PS3 probably uses a file system Windows doesn't support.

If System Refresh and so on don't work, then it is Windows being stupid – that basically reinstalls Windows without removing your stuff (and leaves your programs intact too?).

Fixed the name, hope that's better. ----- I just need a temporary OS that works, and since Ubuntu is one of the most known Linux OS, I might as well give that a try. ----- It's registered, and activating it by phone is just horrible. I'm not spending half an hour on the phone trying to key in codes, just to be sent to a help desk. I've done that enough times with other things. ----- The file system is different, but it doesn't even identify it as an unusable storage drive, just as a peripheral device. And since the update got corrupt, I have on other way of checking the contents of the drive. ----- Personally, I don't know how Safe Mode would not work. It just went straight into AutoRepair.

One word and a number : Windows 7

Windows 8 is still a pile of potatoes

Win8 is a great OS, but when it comes to system configuration and debugging, it's terrible, as it gives the user very little control on what it does. The 99% of the time it works, it beats Win7, no complaints.

Ps3 hard drive is encrypted per console, so you need to be under 3.55 to jailbreak it and you could ftp it.

I got the boot loop with windows 8 on my first 4 hours so I switched back to windows 7, that's why I can't recommended it, atlease with 7 you can skip that step.

You need to becareful updating ps3 firmware as you are flashing it, you don't want a corrupted nand, md5 check it also.

Then you can only move stuff from the PS3 via USB storage, which doesn't work during update mode, which my HDD is locked on until the update can complete itself without corrupting. ----- As I've said, Win8's drawbacks are the more technical side of the OS, as in config and debug. ----- I haven't flashed my SSD yet, and I don't plan to until all this is sorted out. As far as I care, it's as much of a reason to get another PS3, like I had originally planned. I just wanted to try something new, and it fell back on me. Oh well, I should get over it and move on.

PriceSpyNZ's Official Procractinator - bask in the never-updating BST Thread 'CERULEAN': Aerocool DS200 | Corsair TX650v2 | Asus P8Z68-V Pro/GEN3 | Intel Core i7 2600K @4GHz | Antec Kuhler 920 | Corsair Vengeance 4x4GB DDR3 @1600MHz | EVGA GeForce GTX 680 4GB | Crucial M500 240GB SSD + 4x WD Caviar Black 640GB HDD (RAID 0) | Windows 10 Pro  Dell Ultrasharp 29" 2560x1080 + 24" 1920x1080 | AAudio Technica ATH-M70X Headphones + Asus Xonar U7 | Logitech G910v2 Orion Spectrum | Logitech G900 Chaos Spectrum  + Logitech G640 | Samsung Galalxy S8 || 'CERULEAN' || 'SNOW WHITE' || ----- || BUY/SELL/TRADE THREAD ||

MassaHarri
  • MassaHarri
  • Apprentice

• PipPipPip
  • posts 930

Posted 30 October 2013 - 09:13 PM

The 99% of the time it works, it beats Win7, no complaints.

99% of the time it works every time :lol:

I think i missed the point of what you wanted to do... You were wanting to use a SSD in a PS3? Why? Or because you can?

Republican
  • Republican
  • Apprentice

• PipPipPip
  • posts 316

Posted 30 October 2013 - 09:23 PM

you probably have a plus account, because some save files are copy write protected or only work with the original console, this was one reason why i didnt put alot of time into ps3 i couldn't backup my save file.

is it worth getting another ps3 when ps4 is due ?, i would wait it they would drop further, i went half on one when noel lemming had a sale at the show grounds, 200$ for the slim 12gb, just need to put a hdd in it.

from what i read, ps3 doesnt really benefit from SSD apart from GT5, skyrim and a few other games that loads off the hdd, many are still bottleneck at the bluray drive and it also has a SATA150 controller (150MB/s), since new ssd have their own TRIM management you dont need to worry about that part.

Scrypt
  • Scrypt
  • Addicted

• PipPipPipPip
  • posts 1,017

Posted 30 October 2013 - 10:20 PM

99% of the time it works every time :lol:

I think i missed the point of what you wanted to do... You were wanting to use a SSD in a PS3? Why? Or because you can?

https://pricespy.co....?showtopic=2927 I needed the space, as I want to get GT6 and finish getting all the BF3 DLC, and I've ran out. Also wanted to attempt watercooling, so a playstation is a less expensive option for testing my skills.

you probably have a plus account, because some save files are copy write protected or only work with the original console, this was one reason why i didnt put alot of time into ps3 i couldn't backup my save file.

is it worth getting another ps3 when ps4 is due ?, i would wait it they would drop further, i went half on one when noel lemming had a sale at the show grounds, 200$ for the slim 12gb, just need to put a hdd in it.

from what i read, ps3 doesnt really benefit from SSD apart from GT5, skyrim and a few other games that loads off the hdd, many are still bottleneck at the bluray drive and it also has a SATA150 controller (150MB/s), since new ssd have their own TRIM management you dont need to worry about that part.

I don't have PSPlus, and I want GT6 (not on PS4, as GT7 comes out in two years).

I've got Ubuntu at the moment, I may experiment with more distros, like OpenSUSE and Mint, like LinuxUser has suggested. Lets just say my mood has inversed, and I may decide to leave the Windows race for the time being. If I can get my PS3 issue sorted, I'll move onto getting this computer sorted. I've enjoyed GT5 so much, I may have to leave GT6 out, to my dismay, and just avoid consoles. Sort of in a state of flux, so I'm gonna sleep on it.

EDIT: OMFG!!!!! THE FORMATTING WORKS!!!!! IS IT FIREFOX OR UBUNTU????? :D :D :D :D :D

Word Of Madness
  • Word Of Madness
  • Veteran

• PipPipPipPip
  • posts 2,186

Posted 30 October 2013 - 11:06 PM

Mint is nice. It's based on Ubuntu, and is what a lot of 'purists' think the more recent versions of Ubuntu should have been. I use the Cinnamon UI, it looks pretty good and is quite intuitive for a Windows user. I haven't tried the other UIs, I just went with that because it was developed by the same people who made Mint, so I figured it'd be a good match.

The only other distros I've tried are an older version of Ubuntu (2005-6ish?) and Ubuntu 13.04 with whatever UI they came with, and Fedora with Gnome. Wasn't a big fan of any of them.
  • TomSahz likes this
|| Big Bear || Viceroy || Viceroy Build Log || Peripherals ||
|| Steam ||
|| My name does not have an "L" in it ||

tbonesteak
  • tbonesteak
  • Apprentice

• PipPipPip
  • posts 328

Posted 31 October 2013 - 12:27 AM

Get Kali Linux it's probably the best Linux distro I've used due to what it includes xD
  • eliongater likes this

i7 7700k Delid @ 5ghz | GTX 1070 | 16gb DDR4 2400 | Gigabyte Z270-HD3 | 250gb Samsung M.2 | OCZ ZX 850W | Be Quiet! Dark Base Pro 900 | BenQ 24'' 144hz + BenQ 24'' 4k

LinuxUser
  • LinuxUser
  • PriceSpy

• posts 9,005

Posted 31 October 2013 - 08:50 AM

The software a distro comes with (or even its desktop environment) doesn't actually matter. What matters are things like YaST in openSUSE or Unity in Ubuntu – the things that are distro-specific. The rest can be changed very easily.

Recommended Power Supplies Recommended review sites Why stores shouldn't be removed RAM voltage

i5 7400, Gigabyte GA-B250M-D3H, 16 GB DDR4, integrated graphics, Adata XPG SX8200 480 GB (NVMe), 3x Kingston SSDNow KC380 120 GB, Corsair MX100 128 GB, Spinpoint F3 1TB HDD, DVD writer, all inside a wood case I built, Dell U2412M 24", U2311H 23" IPS and Philips 150B4 15" monitors, wood-bodied mouse, Dvorak keyboard, openSUSE Tumbleweed, Windows 8.1 Pro in a VB VM inside Linux

I may occasionally give advice regarding (consumer) law, but it is only my opinion based on my reading – I am not a lawyer.

Word Of Madness
  • Word Of Madness
  • Veteran

• PipPipPipPip
  • posts 2,186

Posted 31 October 2013 - 10:52 AM

It's still nice to have a bunch of stuff ready to go.
  • eliongater likes this
|| Big Bear || Viceroy || Viceroy Build Log || Peripherals ||
|| Steam ||
|| My name does not have an "L" in it ||

MassaHarri
  • MassaHarri
  • Apprentice

• PipPipPip
  • posts 930

Posted 31 October 2013 - 06:04 PM

https://pricespy.co....?showtopic=2927 I needed the space, as I want to get GT6 and finish getting all the BF3 DLC, and I've ran out.

You needed the space? there are 2.5" hard drives for that... i wouldn't waste a SSD performance in a PS3 - but i'm probably missing something. I quickly skimmed over the topic :P

An even less expensive option to test your watercooling skills is an old p4 or something. $30 or so will get you something :D Hell...i might even do that myself for giggles. i have many computers i'd be more than happy to blow up so i can put it to rest. I still have two p4 waterblocks as well...and one AMD. Back when you really had to work for your overclocks. :ph34r:
  • LinuxUser likes this

Scrypt
  • Scrypt
  • Addicted

• PipPipPipPip
  • posts 1,017

Posted 31 October 2013 - 06:34 PM

You needed the space? there are 2.5" hard drives for that... i wouldn't waste a SSD performance in a PS3 - but i'm probably missing something. I quickly skimmed over the topic :P

An even less expensive option to test your watercooling skills is an old p4 or something. $30 or so will get you something :D Hell...i might even do that myself for giggles. i have many computers i'd be more than happy to blow up so i can put it to rest. I still have two p4 waterblocks as well...and one AMD. Back when you really had to work for your overclocks. :ph34r:

I just wanted to try out an SSD to see if it was faster. If there was little difference in speeds, then I would get a new 2.5" HDD, then format the SSD and use it as a Game Boot Drive for Resolve.

I have a Socket775 Pentium, but that isn't worth the time. I only need to use it to move files from an old IDE drive to SATA/USB drives...one hit with my 4TB HDD and both the Pentium and the IDE HDD go into storage with my even older Celeron from 2005. I'd rather watercool my 3570K if I go Haswell-E next year. If.

Scrypt
  • Scrypt
  • Addicted

• PipPipPipPip
  • posts 1,017

Posted 31 October 2013 - 09:40 PM

Went to speedtest my internet... http://www.speedtest...sult/3069248816

Posted Image

What a joke, it's usually 10-15 times faster than this. Don't know if this is Ubuntu or just Telecom giving us the piss. Any ideas?

Unregistered43663
  • Unregistered43663
  • Addicted

• PipPipPipPip
  • posts 1,057

Posted 31 October 2013 - 09:41 PM

Have you tried turning it off and on?
  • MassaHarri and Jaysan_Theta like this
My Pooter: Core i5-3570k 4.4GHz || Asus Z77 Sabertooth || 2x Asus GTX 670 DC2-4GD5 4Gb 1.15GHz SLI || Kingston Genesis 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1866MHz CL9 1.65V (1.5V) || 120GB OCZ Vertex 4 || Silverstone Strider 750W ST75F 80+ Gold || Corsair 600T Silver Edition || Windows 8 Pro with Media Center 64-bit || Hyper 212 Evo || Silverstone 120mm Air Penetrator Blue LED CPU Cooler Fans || NZXT Blue LED Lighting ||

KrazyKap
  • KrazyKap
  • Veteran

• PipPipPipPip
  • posts 1,604

Posted 31 October 2013 - 09:41 PM

Telecom giving us the piss

My Rig: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv | Phanteks PH-TC12DX | i5 4670K | Asus Z97M-Plus | EVGA GTX 970 | 16GB Patriot RAM | Silverstone Strider Plus

Peripherals: AOC 12367Fh + LG Flatron 21.5" | AT-M50X + Samson Go Mic | CM Storm Quick Fire Pro - Cherry MX Red | Roccat Kone Pure

Scrypt
  • Scrypt
  • Addicted

• PipPipPipPip
  • posts 1,017

Posted 31 October 2013 - 09:43 PM

Have you tried turning it off and on?

Router, Computer, Both? I'll try tomorrow, it's time to sleep... :wacko:

This

KrazyKap
  • KrazyKap
  • Veteran

• PipPipPipPip
  • posts 1,604

Posted 31 October 2013 - 09:45 PM

Unless you're using wireless and forgot to plug the antenna in for some reason (I would never do such a thing XD)
  • LinuxUser likes this

My Rig: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv | Phanteks PH-TC12DX | i5 4670K | Asus Z97M-Plus | EVGA GTX 970 | 16GB Patriot RAM | Silverstone Strider Plus

Peripherals: AOC 12367Fh + LG Flatron 21.5" | AT-M50X + Samson Go Mic | CM Storm Quick Fire Pro - Cherry MX Red | Roccat Kone Pure

MassaHarri
  • MassaHarri
  • Apprentice

• PipPipPip
  • posts 930

Posted 31 October 2013 - 09:47 PM

both the Pentium and the IDE HDD go into storage with my even older Celeron from 2005

Throw that stuff away or put it on Trademe for $1. I'm talking from experience here :lol: Don't keep that stuff or you'll start hoarding computers like me.

Scrypt
  • Scrypt
  • Addicted

• PipPipPipPip
  • posts 1,017

Posted 31 October 2013 - 09:47 PM

Unless you're using wireless and forgot to plug the antenna in for some reason (I would never do such a thing XD)

Both antennae on my wifi card are plugged in. I'll use wired since I don't have a PS3 at the moment... :ph34r: ...since my PS3's wifi is crap.

KrazyKap
  • KrazyKap
  • Veteran

• PipPipPipPip
  • posts 1,604

Posted 31 October 2013 - 09:48 PM

Throw that stuff away or put it on Trademe for $1. I'm talking from experience here :lol: Don't keep that stuff or you'll start hoarding computers like me.

Or making wall art :L

KrazyKap
  • KrazyKap
  • Veteran

• PipPipPipPip
  • posts 1,604

Posted 31 October 2013 - 09:53 PM

This is my speedtest at school, except it is shared between 1000s of nodes, as any device can be configured for it, and there is school-wide coverage. Also, uses a login system, which seems broken, because you're supposed to stay logged in for 480 minutes, but it randomly kicks you off all the time (maybe user limit or something weird. Uses Dell's SonicWall)

http://www.speedtest...sult/3069269429

Posted Image

Scrypt
  • Scrypt
  • Addicted

• PipPipPipPip
  • posts 1,017

Posted 31 October 2013 - 09:54 PM

Both antennae on my wifi card are plugged in. I'll use wired since I don't have a PS3 at the moment... :ph34r: ...since my PS3's wifi is crap.

Sweet success... http://www.speedtest...sult/3069271336

Posted Image

Good enough, guess I'll have to use ethernet for the time being, Ubuntu must hate my wifi card. :unsure:

I'll consider it. :rolleyes:
  • KrazyKap likes this

eliongater
  • eliongater
  • Veteran

• PipPipPipPip
  • posts 2,181

Posted 01 November 2013 - 07:18 AM

This is my speedtest at school, except it is shared between 1000s of nodes, as any device can be configured for it, and there is school-wide coverage. Also, uses a login system, which seems broken, because you're supposed to stay logged in for 480 minutes, but it randomly kicks you off all the time (maybe user limit or something weird. Uses Dell's SonicWall)

http://www.speedtest...sult/3069269429

Posted Image

Not that PITA sonic wall, we have that at school, it's better to use mobile data than it...
  • KrazyKap likes this
Steam Battlelog Raptr 404 So many Pixels so little Time: i5-3570k | Maximus V Gene | Sapphire 7950 Vapor-X | 8gb samsung | QNIX QX2710

Tom's DinDin Place™.

LinuxUser
  • LinuxUser
  • PriceSpy

• posts 9,005

Posted 01 November 2013 - 08:35 AM

Sweet success... http://www.speedtest...sult/3069271336

Good enough, guess I'll have to use ethernet for the time being, Ubuntu must hate my wifi card. :unsure:

I'll consider it. :rolleyes:

Very possible. What card is it?
  • eliongater likes this

Scrypt
  • Scrypt
  • Addicted

• PipPipPipPip
  • posts 1,017

Posted 01 November 2013 - 05:06 PM

Very possible. What card is it?

Asus PCE-N15.

Decided that I'm going to save up for either a new system for multi-booting, or live with it for a while longer and get my HTPC sorted. Just depends how much more my mum can tolerate paying the Sky bill before she gives up and moves to Freeview... :unsure:

LinuxUser
  • LinuxUser
  • PriceSpy

• posts 9,005

Posted 01 November 2013 - 08:47 PM

Asus PCE-N15.

Decided that I'm going to save up for either a new system for multi-booting, or live with it for a while longer and get my HTPC sorted. Just depends how much more my mum can tolerate paying the Sky bill before she gives up and moves to Freeview... :unsure:

Hmm, I can't find it on a list I'd expect it to appear on. The list must be out of date or something... But I wouldn't be surprised if the drivers are only beta quality, hence the poor performance.

Scrypt
  • Scrypt
  • Addicted

• PipPipPipPip
  • posts 1,017

Posted 05 November 2013 - 07:56 PM

Okay, I've given up and have tried to reinstall Windows, but it won't let me through Recovery, as you need a 8.1 install media for 8.1, and I have an 8.0 install media. All I need to do is format the drive in Ubuntu, then reinstall it using my USB install media, and hope my OEM code works, or I'll have to get a new one. If so, I'll get a new 120GB SSD at the same time. The more the merrier... :ph34r: Shall hopefully update when I get a good (or bad) result.
  • TomSahz likes this

LinuxUser
  • LinuxUser
  • PriceSpy

• posts 9,005

Posted 05 November 2013 - 08:21 PM

Back up your activation files, then you won't need to reactivate at all.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users