109 replies to this topic

Word Of Madness
  • Word Of Madness
  • Veteran

• PipPipPipPip
  • posts 2,186

Posted 15 September 2013 - 02:23 AM

Viceroy

A small form factor computer designed to be used for home theatre and couch gaming in the vein of consoles. Its small form factor, combined with the handles on my case of choice, give it greater ease of portability than the 500R used in Cronus, making it more suitable for LAN events.

The aim is to have the computer be attractive both inside and out, but not be ostentatious or gaudy. It should also run quietly while still maintaining low temperatures despite overclocking.

I initially had a name scheme going based upon Greek mythology, with this rig being given the name of the Titan Hyperion, and my main PC being the Titan Cronus. After realising everyone seems to like Greek mythology, I've gone for something a little different, another of my interests, music. This rig will be named after Cloudkicker's piece, Viceroy. A viceroy is a regal who runs a country/state/city as a representative of the monarch. Hopefully this PC will 'rule' my living room, and being my second PC, and sharing several similarities with my current one, the representative part fits too.

I'm not going to go about editing names throughout the thread. Hyperion = Viceroy, and Cronus = Big Bear.

Current Parts:

Case: Bitfenix Prodigy. I like the look of this case, however, I'll be making some minor modifications. While it isn't the smallest possible form factor, it's one of the smaller cases that meets my requirements. Purchased from Computer Lounge for $93 incl. shipping.

PSU: Silverstone ST60F-PS. A fully modular power supply with more than enough power for my needs, and it's only 140mm long, ensuring it fits easily within the prodigy without needing to put harsh bends on cables. Purchased from Techworld for $163 incl. shipping. Should arrive early next week.

Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-I Deluxe. A fantastic motherboard. It offers great overclocking potential, has plenty of room between the CPU socket and PCI-E slot for large air coolers, looks great, and has on-board WiFi (I won't be able to get a wired connection). Purchased from Scypt for $160 incl. shipping.

CPU: Intel i5 3570k. Nothing to say really, you all know it goes with this CPU. Purchased in a bundle.

RAM: 2x4GB 1600MHz Corsair Vengeance Low Profile (Black). Again, nothing really needs to be said here. I pulled this out of Cronus and have replaced it with 1866MHz Vengeance that I purchased in a bundle.

Graphics Card: I'm currently undecided. I have an old 560Ti that would suit my needs for the time being, but is a little behind what I would consider ideal (660Ti/7870 or higher). I have an HD7970 that I purchased as part of a bundle, but it's overkill for my needs, so I'll likely sell it and find a suitable replacement card. If I can't sell for a decent price, then I'll be using it in this rig.

SSD: Samsung 830. Windows drive for fast booting. Purchased as part of a bundle.

HDD: WD Blue 1TB. Main storage drive. Purchased from Playtech for $88 including shipping.

Total cost so far - $1464. The sale of the HD7970 should put me nearer $1000.

That will get a fully functioning PC. However, it doesn't fulfill all of my requirements. I intend to sleeve the PSU. What I'll most likely be doing is buying Silverstone's sleeved Molex and SATA cables, since they look troublesome to sleeve well, and buying MDPC gear for the CPU, VGA and 24-pin cables. It'll cost me just over $100 all up.

I also need a CPU cooler. I've got a few options on the cards. Initially I wanted a Prolimatech Genesis Black or Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2, but it's going to be too expensive, so I've dropped that idea. I was looking towards the standard Prolimatech Genesis instead, which Scott from Techworld thinks he can get in at the end of the month for around $105. I've also got my eyes on a cheap H100. I could put that in the new build, or put it in Cronus and use the Hyper212Evo for Hyperion. If I do the latter I'll most likely buy new fans for it to jazz it up a little.

On the subject of fans, I also intend to buy a 230mm Spectre Pro, along with a fan controller of some sort.

Finally, I'll also be picking up an LED strip or two. These will connect to the fan controller so they can be switched on and off easily.
  • TomSahz, LinuxUser, tehkhop and 1 other like this
|| Big Bear || Viceroy || Viceroy Build Log || Peripherals ||
|| Steam ||
|| My name does not have an "L" in it ||

Word Of Madness
  • Word Of Madness
  • Veteran

• PipPipPipPip
  • posts 2,186

Posted 15 September 2013 - 02:32 AM

The family so far:

Posted Image

Posted Image
  • LinuxUser, JoshHunter, ryanc1256 and 1 other like this
|| Steam ||

tehkhop
  • tehkhop
  • Veteran

• PipPipPipPip
  • posts 1,511

Posted 15 September 2013 - 07:11 AM

Looking great so far, but install the WiFi card onto your Mobo ASAP, Ralph54 Broke his. :S

Edit: Looks like the mITX boards have them preinstalled.
Computers: Sirius | HP 650 15" Celeron Laptop
Mobile Devices: OnePlus One 64GB | iPad Mini 16GB White | Cheap 10.1" Android Tablet | HP Touchpad
Stuff Ralph54 owes me: 1GB Black USB Stick | SATA 3 cable | IDE/SATA to USB | 8GB Black USB Stick

Word Of Madness
  • Word Of Madness
  • Veteran

• PipPipPipPip
  • posts 2,186

Posted 15 September 2013 - 12:50 PM

If it didn't come pre-installed then Scrypt fitted it.

As you can see, I've removed the bottom 'handles' from the Prodigy. With them on, it didn't sit very securely where I'm going to be putting it. I quite like the look of the case with them removed too. I'll be purchasing some case feet to attach to the bottom. I may also find some black plastic that I can cut to size and attach below the side panel to fill the empty space the 'handles' once occupied.
|| Steam ||

TomSahz
  • TomSahz
  • Master

• PipPipPipPip
  • posts 2,903

Posted 15 September 2013 - 02:17 PM

Nice! I want to try something like this down the line for my next rig, a silent, mATX, watercooled beast inside something like the 350D.

Word Of Madness
  • Word Of Madness
  • Veteran

• PipPipPipPip
  • posts 2,186

Posted 15 September 2013 - 02:25 PM

I was really tempted to go down the WC route, but it puts the price up and adds weight to the case, making it harder to transport, which was one the reasons for going SFF in the first place. The 350D is a very nice case, just too big for what I'm after.
|| Steam ||

Scrypt
  • Scrypt
  • Addicted

• PipPipPipPip
  • posts 1,017

Posted 15 September 2013 - 04:02 PM

If it didn't come pre-installed then Scrypt fitted it.

Most, if not all mITX boards now have pre-installed WiFi cards. Just keep the antennae at least a metre from the access point to avoid Bingitis <_< Also is that a PS3 in a custom case? Or some form of modern art? :D

PriceSpyNZ's Official Procractinator - bask in the never-updating BST Thread 'CERULEAN': Aerocool DS200 | Corsair TX650v2 | Asus P8Z68-V Pro/GEN3 | Intel Core i7 2600K @4GHz | Antec Kuhler 920 | Corsair Vengeance 4x4GB DDR3 @1600MHz | EVGA GeForce GTX 680 4GB | Crucial M500 240GB SSD + 4x WD Caviar Black 640GB HDD (RAID 0) | Windows 10 Pro  Dell Ultrasharp 29" 2560x1080 + 24" 1920x1080 | AAudio Technica ATH-M70X Headphones + Asus Xonar U7 | Logitech G910v2 Orion Spectrum | Logitech G900 Chaos Spectrum  + Logitech G640 | Samsung Galalxy S8 || 'CERULEAN' || 'SNOW WHITE' || ----- || BUY/SELL/TRADE THREAD ||

Word Of Madness
  • Word Of Madness
  • Veteran

• PipPipPipPip
  • posts 2,186

Posted 15 September 2013 - 04:07 PM

Also is that a PS3 in a custom case? Or some form of modern art? :D

Where? I don't own a PS3, but there's an Xbox 360 sticking one of its hips out in the first shot. You're not talking about the turntable are you? :P
|| Steam ||

Scrypt
  • Scrypt
  • Addicted

• PipPipPipPip
  • posts 1,017

Posted 15 September 2013 - 04:12 PM

Where? I don't own a PS3, but there's an Xbox 360 sticking one of its hips out in the first shot. You're not talking about the turntable are you? :P

Ah that's what it was... :rolleyes: ...noice. Also those XB360s have lovely hips, am I right? :lol:

PriceSpyNZ's Official Procractinator - bask in the never-updating BST Thread 'CERULEAN': Aerocool DS200 | Corsair TX650v2 | Asus P8Z68-V Pro/GEN3 | Intel Core i7 2600K @4GHz | Antec Kuhler 920 | Corsair Vengeance 4x4GB DDR3 @1600MHz | EVGA GeForce GTX 680 4GB | Crucial M500 240GB SSD + 4x WD Caviar Black 640GB HDD (RAID 0) | Windows 10 Pro  Dell Ultrasharp 29" 2560x1080 + 24" 1920x1080 | AAudio Technica ATH-M70X Headphones + Asus Xonar U7 | Logitech G910v2 Orion Spectrum | Logitech G900 Chaos Spectrum  + Logitech G640 | Samsung Galalxy S8 || 'CERULEAN' || 'SNOW WHITE' || ----- || BUY/SELL/TRADE THREAD ||

TomSahz
  • TomSahz
  • Master

• PipPipPipPip
  • posts 2,903

Posted 16 September 2013 - 08:47 AM

I was really tempted to go down the WC route, but it puts the price up and adds weight to the case, making it harder to transport, which was one the reasons for going SFF in the first place. The 350D is a very nice case, just too big for what I'm after.

Yeah thats true, something I didn't think about. Hmm.

LinuxUser
  • LinuxUser
  • PriceSpy

• posts 9,005

Posted 16 September 2013 - 09:51 AM

Sounds like a nice build!

Recommended Power Supplies Recommended review sites Why stores shouldn't be removed RAM voltage

i5 7400, Gigabyte GA-B250M-D3H, 16 GB DDR4, integrated graphics, Adata XPG SX8200 480 GB (NVMe), 3x Kingston SSDNow KC380 120 GB, Corsair MX100 128 GB, Spinpoint F3 1TB HDD, DVD writer, all inside a wood case I built, Dell U2412M 24", U2311H 23" IPS and Philips 150B4 15" monitors, wood-bodied mouse, Dvorak keyboard, openSUSE Tumbleweed, Windows 8.1 Pro in a VB VM inside Linux

I may occasionally give advice regarding (consumer) law, but it is only my opinion based on my reading – I am not a lawyer.

Romans 3:23; 6:23; 5:8; 10:9-10,13

Word Of Madness
  • Word Of Madness
  • Veteran

• PipPipPipPip
  • posts 2,186

Posted 26 September 2013 - 02:55 AM

I've hooked everything up and have a functional PC.
It's just a slight mess in there at the moment.

Posted Image

I don't think I can be bothered sleeving the cables myself. I've tried a few different hand crafted tools to remove the pins, but I'm not having any luck doing it easily. I got some success with flattened and filed paperclips, but overall it feels like too much hassle for the end result, and it'll cost more too. It also looks problematic to sleeve things with multiple cables going in an out of one point, like SATA, Molex and the 6 + 6 + 2 pin VGA cables. I'm just going to grab Silverstone's pre-sleeved ones from FrozenCPU, along with some case feet.

I'm also trying to decide on a CPU cooler for it. I like the Prolimatech Genesis, but because it doesn't come with fans, it quickly becomes rather expensive, at around $135. For around that amount I can get something beastly like a Phanteks PH-TC-14PE shipped from Amazon. I could also go a little cheaper and get their PH-TC-12DX for $100. The 14 would be black, and the 12 would be blue.

The other options I was considering were the Cooler Master GeminII M4, or the Scythe Big Shuriken 2. Which come in at $55 and $70 respectively. They're a lot cheaper, but also a lot less interesting. They are however. more interesting than the typical 'rectangular block of metal' tower heatsinks that I'm looking to avoid. If anyone has any ideas or suggestions, I'd love to hear them.

I've opted to use my 560 for this rig and sell off the 7970. It's only on a 1366x768 TV, and the performance was acceptable in 1080P anyway.

I ended up grabbing the cheap H100, and I've stuck it in this rig and joined the 5.0GHz club for a few hours before taking it back down to 4.5GHz to avoid unnecessary stress and heat on the CPU for minimal performance gains. The interior of the case looks significantly nicer than it did with the Hyper 212 in there.

Posted Image

And I put some records on for my buddy Scrypt.

Posted Image

Posted Image
  • TomSahz, 19th, tehkhop and 1 other like this
|| Steam ||

Word Of Madness
  • Word Of Madness
  • Veteran

• PipPipPipPip
  • posts 2,186

Posted 12 October 2013 - 02:42 AM

I've ordered a Phanteks PH-TC12DX CPU cooler in black from Amazon along with some shiny new headphones. I wanted a blue one, but it was going to take an extra few weeks to ship for some reason.

The Bitfenix supplier for NZ is rubbish, so my window side panel doesn't come in until the end of October, and I can't get a 230mm Spectre pro fan unless I pay Techworld a little extra for the one(s) he had to import himself.

For the cables, I'm probably going to put an order in with ModDiy, since they've got some sleeve that I think looks good. I've tried doing the sleeving myself on some spare cables, and I don't know if I could be bothered to do the whole PSU. ModDiy also have a few other extra that I want at a good price, so even though the sleeved cables are fairly expensive, it doesn't end up much higher than buying Silverstone's plain black ones when it's all added up.

Any help deciding on which sleeve pattern to go with? At the moment the build is black and white apart from the motherboard, which has a dash of blue. I'm trying to work out whether to ignore the motherboard and go with more black and white, or include some more blue.

http://www.moddiy.co...ort=bestselling

I'm not sure how metallic the silver strands in the sleeve are. If they reflect well, it could look pretty sweet when I get some LED lightning in there.
  • TomSahz likes this
|| Steam ||

BKNZ
  • BKNZ

• PipPip
  • posts 218

Posted 12 October 2013 - 07:50 AM

Nice setup, I'm enjoying how you managed to not turn it horrible looking which happens with a lot of those asus blue heat sink boards, seems to be some sort of trend...

Are you planning to install SteamOS onto it? Would make an epic steam box.

KrazyKap
  • KrazyKap
  • Veteran

• PipPipPipPip
  • posts 1,604

Posted 12 October 2013 - 01:31 PM

Hmm, all I paid to sleeve my power supply was about $20 for paracord which was more than enough, and some heatshrink for stuff like sata power connectors. Sleeving isn't the easiest thing but it can be satisfying when you get good results. Personally, I'd buy two (or more) lots of plain colours, 100 feet off ebay or amazon is like NZD $10 shipped, and have a pattern, like black with highlights or something.

Out of your choices, I think a bit of each blue/black and silver/black could look cool, otherwise, just the blue/black would be my pick :)

*Also, grab 4mm paracord, and 6mm heatshrink

My Rig: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv | Phanteks PH-TC12DX | i5 4670K | Asus Z97M-Plus | EVGA GTX 970 | 16GB Patriot RAM | Silverstone Strider Plus

Peripherals: AOC 12367Fh + LG Flatron 21.5" | AT-M50X + Samson Go Mic | CM Storm Quick Fire Pro - Cherry MX Red | Roccat Kone Pure

JoshHunter
  • JoshHunter
  • Master

• PipPipPipPip
  • posts 3,782

Posted 12 October 2013 - 02:00 PM

What volts did it do 5 giggles at?

Word Of Madness
  • Word Of Madness
  • Veteran

• PipPipPipPip
  • posts 2,186

Posted 12 October 2013 - 08:55 PM

Nice setup, I'm enjoying how you managed to not turn it horrible looking which happens with a lot of those asus blue heat sink boards, seems to be some sort of trend...

Are you planning to install SteamOS onto it? Would make an epic steam box.

Cheers, I just need a nicer PSU for the old dog Cronus to make it look a little nicer.

Hyperion will be running Windows 8 and SteamOS. I'll most likely be needing features and games that aren't available on Linux, but would prefer to run a Linux OS where possible, and SteamOS sounds like a good option for the gaming and media side of things.

Hmm, all I paid to sleeve my power supply was about $20 for paracord which was more than enough, and some heatshrink for stuff like sata power connectors. Sleeving isn't the easiest thing but it can be satisfying when you get good results. Personally, I'd buy two (or more) lots of plain colours, 100 feet off ebay or amazon is like NZD $10 shipped, and have a pattern, like black with highlights or something.

Out of your choices, I think a bit of each blue/black and silver/black could look cool, otherwise, just the blue/black would be my pick :)

*Also, grab 4mm paracord, and 6mm heatshrink

I find paracord ugly. If I was buying sleeve, I'd be getting MDPC. I had enough trouble just removing a few pins from one of my spare VGA cables, I don't think I'm cut out for this sleeving business. And those are the easy cables, getting nice daisy chain SATA and Molex cables look incredibly difficult. If I did sleeve my own, I'd probably end up buying Silverstone's sleeved ones, then just sleeving the 20+4pin, 6+2 pins and 4+4pins, I calculated it out a while ago, and It'd cost me around $95 to do so. I'd much rather do that than pay $30 or so for paracord.

I'll have to look at the pin-outs for my PSU to see if pattern cables of varying colours are a possibility, I know some PSUs have cables that need to cross to get to the right pin in the connector, so they'd look a bit silly with multiple sleeve colours, which is why I was looking at something with the pattern on the sleeve itself.

What volts did it do 5 giggles at?

1.385V. I really needed to pump up the voltage to take it from 4.9 to 5 and keep it stable. I'm a little uneasy about such having voltage on the CPU for any longer that running a few benchmarks for fun, so I took it back down to 4.5GHz, which it does at 1.160V
  • KrazyKap likes this
|| Steam ||

BKNZ
  • BKNZ

• PipPip
  • posts 218

Posted 12 October 2013 - 09:12 PM

Cheers, I just need a nicer PSU for the old dog Cronus to make it look a little nicer.

Hyperion will be running Windows 8 and SteamOS. I'll most likely be needing features and games that aren't available on Linux, but would prefer to run a Linux OS where possible, and SteamOS sounds like a good option for the gaming and media side.

Sounds great, was thinking of possibly doing a similiar thing but I'm leaning towards doing a dedicated steam box, all boils down to the performance gains mantle and SteamOS are going to give...

Word Of Madness
  • Word Of Madness
  • Veteran

• PipPipPipPip
  • posts 2,186

Posted 15 October 2013 - 04:03 PM

Screw it, I'll sleeve it myself. I've got plenty of time on my hands and need a little project. I just need to decide what colours to go for, and then I'll place an order at MDPC. At this stage I'm thinking white, with blue and black highlights/accents.
  • KrazyKap likes this
|| Steam ||

Word Of Madness
  • Word Of Madness
  • Veteran

• PipPipPipPip
  • posts 2,186

Posted 15 October 2013 - 05:44 PM

I'm sleeving a 24pin motherboard cable, and an 8pin CPU cable, both 550mm, along with a 550mm 8pin VGA cable than has a 150mm 6pin extension. I'm looking at grabbing 40m of sleeve, and 3m of heatshrink. Does that sound about right, or have I made an oversight somewhere?
  • KrazyKap likes this
|| Steam ||

ArchSerpo
  • ArchSerpo
  • Addicted

• PipPipPipPip
  • posts 1,279

Posted 15 October 2013 - 06:16 PM

How did you remove the handles? Looks sweet like that, pretty much a cheaper Phenom with an ODD slot. Also case feet, where did you get them and how'd you stick them on? I didn't think it had slots for them

http://www.overclock...rodigy-handles/

Are you planning to do some DIY dust filters on the front and left side?

Word Of Madness
  • Word Of Madness
  • Veteran

• PipPipPipPip
  • posts 2,186

Posted 15 October 2013 - 06:26 PM

I'm not really a fan of the Phenom. The angle on the front of the case and the vent/gaps around the side throw it off for me. The handles just unscrew and pop off. I haven't got case feet yet. The ideal ones are from FrozenCPU in the US, but I'd need to buy a few other nick nacks to make the shipping worth it. There's also some at ModDiy if I end up getting some off their stuff too. If Neither of those place have stuff I want, then I'll get them from QuietPC (DiceCustoms ordered some from them, so I'm curious to see what he thinks of them when they arrive).
Some of the feet can be screwed on, but I'll just be using some sort of 3M adhesive, some of them come it pre-applied.

The front of the case is intended to be a 230mm fan, so it'll be a little difficult to get a premade fan filter. I may look at purchasing some cheap foam/mesh stuff and using it. I'll be replacing the vents on the other side panel with a windowed side panel when it arrives.
|| Steam ||

KrazyKap
  • KrazyKap
  • Veteran

• PipPipPipPip
  • posts 1,604

Posted 15 October 2013 - 06:26 PM

I'm sleeving a 24pin motherboard cable, and an 8pin CPU cable, both 550mm, along with a 550mm 8pin VGA cable than has a 150mm 6pin extension. I'm looking at grabbing 40m of sleeve, and 3m of heatshrink. Does that sound about right, or have I made an oversight somewhere?

Sounds right to me, if just doing those cables. Can't wait to see how it goes :D
  • Word Of Madness likes this

My Rig: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv | Phanteks PH-TC12DX | i5 4670K | Asus Z97M-Plus | EVGA GTX 970 | 16GB Patriot RAM | Silverstone Strider Plus

Peripherals: AOC 12367Fh + LG Flatron 21.5" | AT-M50X + Samson Go Mic | CM Storm Quick Fire Pro - Cherry MX Red | Roccat Kone Pure

Word Of Madness
  • Word Of Madness
  • Veteran

• PipPipPipPip
  • posts 2,186

Posted 15 October 2013 - 06:37 PM

Sweet. SATA looks pretty hard to do. Molex looks challenging, but not as difficult, but it's going to hidden away anyway, so it's not a big deal. By my calculations, I should be able to do my molex and SATA power cables too with those lengths, but I wouldn't be leaving any room for mistakes, so I might have a try at doing them if the rest of the cables go well, if not I might use the extra sleeve to do IO or fan cables. They're already completely black though, so they look all right.
  • KrazyKap likes this
|| Steam ||

JoshHunter
  • JoshHunter
  • Master

• PipPipPipPip
  • posts 3,782

Posted 15 October 2013 - 06:39 PM

I like the Phenom but the 5.25" bay confuses me...

Word Of Madness
  • Word Of Madness
  • Veteran

• PipPipPipPip
  • posts 2,186

Posted 15 October 2013 - 06:47 PM

I like the Phenom but the 5.25" bay confuses me...

They just copy-pasted the Prodigy. It's still got the slots where the handles/legs/feet fit screw onto the sides. The Phenom is just a Prodigy with a new front and top panel and the handles removed.
|| Steam ||

JoshHunter
  • JoshHunter
  • Master

• PipPipPipPip
  • posts 3,782

Posted 15 October 2013 - 06:58 PM

Yeah but it looks way cleaner and less ricey.
  • S0up2up likes this

eliongater
  • eliongater
  • Veteran

• PipPipPipPip
  • posts 2,181

Posted 15 October 2013 - 09:20 PM

Yeah but it looks way cleaner and less ricey.

Rice?

I'm not really a fan of the Phenom. The angle on the front of the case and the vent/gaps around the side throw it off for me. The handles just unscrew and pop off. I haven't got case feet yet. The ideal ones are from FrozenCPU in the US, but I'd need to buy a few other nick nacks to make the shipping worth it. There's also some at ModDiy if I end up getting some off their stuff too. If Neither of those place have stuff I want, then I'll get them from QuietPC (DiceCustoms ordered some from them, so I'm curious to see what he thinks of them when they arrive).
Some of the feet can be screwed on, but I'll just be using some sort of 3M adhesive, some of them come it pre-applied.

The front of the case is intended to be a 230mm fan, so it'll be a little difficult to get a premade fan filter. I may look at purchasing some cheap foam/mesh stuff and using it. I'll be replacing the vents on the other side panel with a windowed side panel when it arrives.

Try decimiflex
Steam Battlelog Raptr 404 So many Pixels so little Time: i5-3570k | Maximus V Gene | Sapphire 7950 Vapor-X | 8gb samsung | QNIX QX2710

Tom's DinDin Place™.

KrazyKap
  • KrazyKap
  • Veteran

• PipPipPipPip
  • posts 1,604

Posted 15 October 2013 - 09:31 PM

Rice?

I believe it's a term used in the automotive hobby area most commonly :P
  • JoshHunter, S0up2up and Unregistered43663 like this

JoshHunter
  • JoshHunter
  • Master

• PipPipPipPip
  • posts 3,782

Posted 15 October 2013 - 09:48 PM

I believe it's a term used in the automotive hobby area most commonly :P

Usually in regards to Hondas with crystal taillights, body kits and big bore exhausts. It basically means gamer-ey.
  • S0up2up likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users