Why stores shouldn't ever be removed

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

LinuxUser
  • LinuxUser
  • PriceSpy

• posts 8,995

Posted 23 January 2012 - 11:10 AM

Which would you prefer for a (very) bad store: for them to have bad reviews and possibly have warning (like OC Zone had before they went out of business), or to not be listed at all so that you can't find out how bad they are (unless you look hard)?

Yes, I know you'll tell me that having a bad store listed will encourage people to purchase from them (seeing they find them, and see a good price) and that they won't see the bad reviews, but I disagree: the star rating is very obvious, and if there is a warning it is extremely obvious. The chances of missing them are very small. If people choose to ignore the rating, then I honestly don't see that they can complain about bad service.

As for adding a warning, there needs to be real evidence. One person cannot provide that, otherwise a bad store could "provide" made-up evidence about a good store. There must be many reliable reports of problems before anything can happen along those lines.

In the end, if a store is left there, we might have 1% that purchase anyway (whether by missing the rating, or ignoring it), 60% that decide to go elsewhere, and 39% that had no intention of going there or never found them. If they aren't listed, we might have 90% that didn't find them, but you'll probably find that the majority of the remaining 10% will purchase there because they don't know better – so 7% get ripped off, while only 3% decide not to purchase.

Edited by LinuxUser, 05 July 2013 - 11:42 AM.
Fixed spelling, added third paragraph

Recommended Power Supplies Recommended review sites Why stores shouldn't be removed RAM voltage

i5 7400, Gigabyte GA-B250M-D3H, 16 GB DDR4, integrated graphics, Adata XPG SX8200 480 GB (NVMe), 3x Kingston SSDNow KC380 120 GB, Corsair MX100 128 GB, Spinpoint F3 1TB HDD, DVD writer, all inside a wood case I built, Dell U2412M 24", U2311H 23" IPS and Philips 150B4 15" monitors, wood-bodied mouse, Dvorak keyboard, openSUSE Tumbleweed, Windows 8.1 Pro in a VB VM inside Linux

I may occasionally give advice regarding (consumer) law, but it is only my opinion based on my reading – I am not a lawyer.

Romans 3:23; 6:23; 5:8; 10:9-10,13

MaikeruTech
  • MaikeruTech
  • Wannabe

• Pip
  • posts 24

Posted 23 January 2012 - 12:16 PM

I tend to always agree with this kind of logic - Consider if a persons criminal record could just be wiped away, or if the reviews for a movie would just be removed if they were in total so appalling.

The star rating provided by user feedback on pricespy is a powerful disincentive for most buyers, however its pretty difficult to dissuade the people that generally get caught by these shoddy stores (e.g. First time buyers, buyers heavily constrained by price). However they do go a long way to protecting the majority. I have had close calls before, but never really had one of these full on 0 star experiences with a store yet, but I know they would be physically and mentally draining to anyone - always is when someone has your money then folds their hands.

LinuxUser
  • LinuxUser
  • PriceSpy

• posts 8,995

Posted 23 January 2012 - 01:34 PM

It's more like another country saying they're not going to supply any criminal record as long as they don't advertise the existance of the other country.

I understand people thinking they should be removed, but I decided I didn't want to have to repeat it every time it comes up – hence the sticky.

Recommended Power Supplies Recommended review sites Why stores shouldn't be removed RAM voltage

i5 7400, Gigabyte GA-B250M-D3H, 16 GB DDR4, integrated graphics, Adata XPG SX8200 480 GB (NVMe), 3x Kingston SSDNow KC380 120 GB, Corsair MX100 128 GB, Spinpoint F3 1TB HDD, DVD writer, all inside a wood case I built, Dell U2412M 24", U2311H 23" IPS and Philips 150B4 15" monitors, wood-bodied mouse, Dvorak keyboard, openSUSE Tumbleweed, Windows 8.1 Pro in a VB VM inside Linux

I may occasionally give advice regarding (consumer) law, but it is only my opinion based on my reading – I am not a lawyer.

KingSwize
  • KingSwize

• PipPip
  • posts 126

Posted 24 January 2012 - 11:34 AM

I 100% agree with you LinuxUser. They should stay there and be recorded as being a bad company. Adverting that they are a bad company.

TomSahz
  • TomSahz
  • Master

• PipPipPipPip
  • posts 2,902

Posted 25 January 2012 - 08:22 AM

I also think this issue highlights the lack of buyer research that is being done (/isnt being done) by people that use dodgy stores. Surely if you're going to make a significant purchase then you would want to investigate all your options as thoroughly as possible. Just looking at the star rating is not usually good enough as there is the possibility of planted reviews so its best to read the reviews and store threads here and on other forums.
  • LinuxUser and Unregistered43663 like this

nofxnz
  • nofxnz
  • Rookie

• posts 3

Posted 27 January 2012 - 04:33 PM

Ok I agree we only have ourself to blame for not researching a company better, but maybe you should make a way of making the name/link to company turn a different colour like red to warn people after a certin amount of orders go real bad.
  • Fogofwar likes this

LinuxUser
  • LinuxUser
  • PriceSpy

• posts 8,995

Posted 27 January 2012 - 05:12 PM

Well, theoretically the star rating is plenty obvious but something like that is probably a good idea – it just makes it even more obvious. Suggest it in the suggestions sticky in the feedback forum so it gets seen – it probably wouldn't here by the people that need to see any suggestions.

Edited by LinuxUser, 27 January 2012 - 05:13 PM.

TomSahz
  • TomSahz
  • Master

• PipPipPipPip
  • posts 2,902

Posted 27 January 2012 - 05:28 PM

@nofxnz

I wasnt really suggesting its all the buyers fault, because the star rating can be misleading if there are planted reviews (which we do our best to investigate). I see that you have had problems with Tech Brands Pacific. I have notified Pricespy admins of the thread and I have been reassured they are in the process of investigating the company (Which also has a Swedish division).

pricespynz_sales
  • pricespynz_sales
  • Rookie

• posts 0

Posted 30 January 2012 - 10:22 PM

Hi Guys, A good thread to have.

With regards to stores which the consumer feel are a "bad store" it is PriceSpy's philosophy to show the consumer the full picture when making a purchase from a listed store on our website. Whether it be a good store or a bad store that is for the consumer to decide. And so providing as much possible information about a store is vital.
The idea of having a different colour for a store that is supposedly bad is not likely to happen. The reason being is that then PriceSpy are saying to the consumer that this store is bad. It is not the role of PriceSpy to judge stores as not all peoples opinions of a particular store are the same. I believe the star review system and forum feedback is enough for the consumer to be able to make a buying decision.

Tech Brands: As Tomshaz mentioned. The store is under investigation, we are aware that the is an unfortunate circumstance with the store that has lead to orders not going out. We have made the store inactive on PriceSpy so non of their pricing will be listed at this stage.
As for the people who have made a purchase and no product has been received, we ask that you follow the law procedures.

Huitzilo
  • Huitzilo
  • Rookie

• posts 3

Posted 31 January 2012 - 01:32 AM

First point, I am appreciative of the star system and believe in what pricespynz_sales has stated.

Secondly, I dont think the star or comments section would have mattered with reference to the Tech brands situation.I think the situation with Techbrands was more of a matter of bad-timing and I dont think any warnings would have assisted that much. For example when I made my purchase with Technbrands, the Director was still alive and the ratings were still reasonably good. However with the Director passing on around the time I made my order (late November) and sales had been already placed on the site for Xmas specials, and with Xmas fast approaching, the seasonal influx would have meant a higher volume of customers made purchases all around the same 2 - 3 week period. Comments of a majority of the problems seem to have all been generated around the same period so by the time word had gotten out, and the star system began to trend downwards, for most of us it was too late.

With that said, I've had no issue with the star system or comments. I've used pricespy as my guide for many good purchasing experiences, thus my reasoning in support of what pricespynz_sales has said. The Techbrands situation was of misfortune, bad timing, and just one of those situations that happens out of the blue now and then.

Regards

LinuxUser
  • LinuxUser
  • PriceSpy

• posts 8,995

Posted 31 January 2012 - 07:18 AM

Hi Guys, A good thread to have.

With regards to stores which the consumer feel are a "bad store" it is PriceSpy's philosophy to show the consumer the full picture when making a purchase from a listed store on our website. Whether it be a good store or a bad store that is for the consumer to decide. And so providing as much possible information about a store is vital.
The idea of having a different colour for a store that is supposedly bad is not likely to happen. The reason being is that then PriceSpy are saying to the consumer that this store is bad. It is not the role of PriceSpy to judge stores as not all peoples opinions of a particular store are the same. I believe the star review system and forum feedback is enough for the consumer to be able to make a buying decision.

Tech Brands: As Tomshaz mentioned. The store is under investigation, we are aware that the is an unfortunate circumstance with the store that has lead to orders not going out. We have made the store inactive on PriceSpy so non of their pricing will be listed at this stage.
As for the people who have made a purchase and no product has been received, we ask that you follow the law procedures.

Yes, I agree. The colour suggestion (at least for my part) was more to clearly highlight that the rating was very poor, rather than that the store was actually bad, but you are right – it would be PriceSpy saying that the store was bad.

chris cobzaru
  • chris cobzaru
  • Wannabe

• Pip
  • posts 19

Posted 28 August 2012 - 07:51 PM

Problem is you don't verify the users, owners or shop workers rate themselfs, and the star rating changes. I do not create many IDs as they do see Challange Mobiles shop...

LinuxUser
  • LinuxUser
  • PriceSpy

• posts 8,995

Posted 28 August 2012 - 09:03 PM

The thing is you can't really ensure that they don't rate themselves without causing major problems for other users. Those reviews will be investigated and dealt with as appropriate.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users