5 replies to this topic

TomSahz
  • TomSahz
  • Master

• PipPipPipPip
  • posts 2,903

Posted 21 November 2010 - 09:08 AM

Hi guys,

I was given the canon 550D as an early xmas present by my father and I'm absolutely stoked with it. I was aiming to enter the world of DSLR with the 450D but am even more excited that I get to use the newer model.

Its really easy to use. So far, Ive stuck with the mode presets (Auto, No flash, Portrait, Landscape etc) but I hope to soon be tuning individual settings depending on the situation. I recently went on a trip with my gf to Rangitoto Island, a volcano in the Hauraki Gulf and took the camera along with me. The image quality is absolutely phenomenal. Close up shots are bathed in detail, Ive never experienced such great qualtiy in a camera.

Does anyone else own a 550D? Perhaps we could get a photography thread going in which we post some of our shots for critique?

krishant007
  • krishant007

• PipPip
  • posts 219

Posted 21 November 2010 - 09:31 AM

hey tomsahz, i just got the 550d 2 days ago. still havnt taken a pic with it. im just reading the manual and will learn what all the dials and nobs mean before i start going hardout. from what i have read and seen, it is indeed one of the best entry level dslrs.

i just ordered the 8gb transcend class 10 card for it so waiting for that to come in. got a nice lowepro case for it.

il post something up when i take a picture. btw, do you know of any photography clubs in auckland?

TomSahz
  • TomSahz
  • Master

• PipPipPipPip
  • posts 2,903

Posted 21 November 2010 - 10:48 AM

Good idea, Ill probably read the entire manual through in the coming days too. I read through the first parts about setting it up and how to shoot etc, but I havnt looked at the advanced section yet.

Did you get the kit with the 18-55 lens too?

Im probably going to look at buying a fixed 50mm lens for $150, and then hopefully some time in the future the macro lens I want ($800). You'll definitely be pleased with it, its a great camera. Im using an 8Gb Sandisk card with it at the moment.

No im not aware of any photography clubs in Auckland. Might consider doing that too, I guess you would learn a whole heap of things that you wouldnt have access to otherwise.

krishant007
  • krishant007

• PipPip
  • posts 219

Posted 21 November 2010 - 03:51 PM

i got the twin lens kit from Expert infotech. not really thinking about other lenses atm since im just starting off. thinking of making it a long term hobby so will get new ones when i find that the current dont fulfill the needs.. lol

im just reading online guides and tips atm and taking it from there.. take a look at http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/

this is where i saw some advice on gadgets and stuff and would be a good place to ask any questions.

TomSahz
  • TomSahz
  • Master

• PipPipPipPip
  • posts 2,903

Posted 22 November 2010 - 02:16 PM

Yeah good idea to take things slow and learn how to operate it etc. I wont be doing any lens buying for quite some time, just like to talk about it haha. Everything i've read said that kit lenses are usually really poor and its better to buy a cheap fixed 50mm lens and learn how to compose photos without relying on a zoom function.

Great site is photo.net. They have a central 'learning' page here that has links to articles that cover everything. From portrait/landscape/macro technique to equipment, starting out and inspiration. Theres also really great guides for composing images well and getting the most out of your equipment. You can also upload photos for critique but I think you have to be a paid member. Plenty of free help and advice in the forums though, from professionals in the business to amateur photographers trying to help others out.

Once I transfer the pics I took to the PC ill upload a couple, really impressed with the imaage quality so far :(

spiderm0nkey
  • spiderm0nkey
  • Amateur

• PipPip
  • posts 66

Posted 22 November 2010 - 09:38 PM

Yeah good idea to take things slow and learn how to operate it etc. I wont be doing any lens buying for quite some time, just like to talk about it haha. Everything i've read said that kit lenses are usually really poor and its better to buy a cheap fixed 50mm lens and learn how to compose photos without relying on a zoom function.

Great site is photo.net. They have a central 'learning' page here that has links to articles that cover everything. From portrait/landscape/macro technique to equipment, starting out and inspiration. Theres also really great guides for composing images well and getting the most out of your equipment. You can also upload photos for critique but I think you have to be a paid member. Plenty of free help and advice in the forums though, from professionals in the business to amateur photographers trying to help others out.

Once I transfer the pics I took to the PC ill upload a couple, really impressed with the imaage quality so far B)

The kit lenses themselves are worth a few hundred each, so not too shabby. I've got the 50mm lens that you're talking about (it's the cheapest lens around brand new haha) and really enjoy it. Has lovely colours and is nice and crisp. Only bought it to keep me going until I could afford a better lens (bought a 1000D body to replace my dying Nikon D100 for $300 off a friend) but will end up keeping it for a little while longer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users