• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

KaZi61
  • KaZi61

• PipPip
  • posts 118

Posted 04 December 2014 - 01:37 PM

Hi guys,

Since I'm actually starting to earn money from photography I thought I can't keep sharing a camera between my family and its better I get my own. I was looking at the Sony a6000 and Fuji x-e1. Both seem to be compact (relative to DSLR) and are capable of taking quality shots. My budget is $1000 and I would like that to include a lens. I thought about just saving for the Sony alpha 7 but the lens cost will be too high. Need it to do good video too!

So I was wondering if anyone has any experience with mirrorless cameras and could share some advice.

The reason I want a mirrorless camera is that I prefer to have something light when I travel, which I plan to do a lot of in the next few years!

Cheers!

tehkhop
  • tehkhop
  • Veteran

• PipPipPipPip
  • posts 1,511

Posted 04 December 2014 - 02:28 PM

Hi guys,

Since I'm actually starting to earn money from photography I thought I can't keep sharing a camera between my family and its better I get my own. I was looking at the Sony a6000 and Fuji x-e1. Both seem to be compact (relative to DSLR) and are capable of taking quality shots. My budget is $1000 and I would like that to include a lens. I thought about just saving for the Sony alpha 7 but the lens cost will be too high. Need it to do good video too!

So I was wondering if anyone has any experience with mirrorless cameras and could share some advice.

The reason I want a mirrorless camera is that I prefer to have something light when I travel, which I plan to do a lot of in the next few years!

Cheers!

First of all, whats the camera you're using at the moment?
Second, are you sure you want mirrorless?

Mirrorless won't be suitable for any fast moving subjects, and not as suitable for low light as DSLRs would be.

You need to decide also for the future, would you plan on having a mirrorless camera as your second, or primary camera?
If it were to be your second camera, then I'd definitely recommend going the Sony route, as they have many lens adapters, so you could share lenses easily.

I would say the a6000 would be your best bet, however, you should also consider going MFT and getting some bright glass, however I'm not sure what to recommend.

Also, how are you making money off your photography? Because I'm really struggling with that.
  • LinuxUser and KaZi61 like this
Computers: Sirius | HP 650 15" Celeron Laptop
Mobile Devices: OnePlus One 64GB | iPad Mini 16GB White | Cheap 10.1" Android Tablet | HP Touchpad
Stuff Ralph54 owes me: 1GB Black USB Stick | SATA 3 cable | IDE/SATA to USB | 8GB Black USB Stick

krishant007
  • krishant007

• PipPip
  • posts 219

Posted 04 December 2014 - 02:41 PM

Ahh the mirrorless topic. I have recently answered this question for myself. I sold my Canon 550D dslr with lenses and bought a mirrorless. I found it too much of a hassle to carry around all my camera equipment - it just was not feasible everytime especially when travelling.

I was in the same shoes as you midway through this year when I was considering between A6000, Panasonic GX7 and Olympus OMD M10. I went into the camera store and had a feel and play with all 3. The Pana GX7 feels the best in hand no question! The A6000 is the biggest of the lot and had the best feature set. The M10 was kinda in between them both, felt ok in hand, had a decent spec sheet and was quite new (released this year).

My main selling point for the one I got was the sensor. I wanted to get a micro 4/3 sensor since there are more 3rd party lenses available for me to purchase. I can use Pana lenses on Olympus cameras and vice versa. I would have gone with the A6000, but I swung around to the M10. I did not go with GX7 (although it was really solid) because it was released in 2012 and it did not have a few features that I wanted (wifi being one of them - yes I have used it and I cannot get a camera without it anymore). It is handy to have for taking selfies (view finder on your phone!!), transferring photos to your tablet etc.

But to the question of why a mirrorless - I wanted a lighter camera to carry around, I didnt want to haul all my camera equipment on each trip. So I went with mirrorless. I recently tried to do some night photography with long exposure time, but my mirrorless couldnt do it. It just was not focusing and that is when it failed me. So if you are into night photography, mirrorless wont cut it.

I havent done much fast action shots so cannot comment on this, but my mirrorless can capture decent fast paced shots so no biggie on that.

Between the 2 you got, I have heard good things about the Fuji but I haven't done much research on that one. I know the A6000 is quite solid so it is worth it.
In the end, it comes down to what you will use it for. If you are just the occasional snapper, you will be fine with something like the RX100 even. But if you want interchangeable lenses, mirrorless is a good step.
  • TomSahz, LinuxUser and KaZi61 like this

KaZi61
  • KaZi61

• PipPip
  • posts 118

Posted 04 December 2014 - 03:51 PM

First of all, whats the camera you're using at the moment?
Second, are you sure you want mirrorless?
Mirrorless won't be suitable for any fast moving subjects, and not as suitable for low light as DSLRs would be.
You need to decide also for the future, would you plan on having a mirrorless camera as your second, or primary camera?
If it were to be your second camera, then I'd definitely recommend going the Sony route, as they have many lens adapters, so you could share lenses easily.

Current I am using a 60D that is shared between me and my uncle. I only like to take it when I have a job to do!
I am pretty set on mirrorless, reason being my friend has the X-pro1 and its been able to keep up really well with my 60d when we go out shooting. I never noticed low light being an issue to be honest. He's actually going to let me borrow it for a while to see how I like it. This would be my primary camera unless I needed to bring the 60D in to play. I'm fortunate enough to have that as an option should I need a better primary camera.

Lens adapters sound good though, +1 for Sony!

With regards to how I make money, I primarily do graphic design and have branched out from there. Also I should mention by making money I mean less than 10k. I'm actually a student!

Ahh the mirrorless topic. I have recently answered this question for myself. I sold my Canon 550D dslr with lenses and bought a mirrorless. I found it too much of a hassle to carry around all my camera equipment - it just was not feasible everytime especially when travelling.

Thanks for the advice, I'm curious to see how the a6000 does in low light. From some reviews I read it was judged as quite good. I have to do a bunch of glow in the dark stuff for work so its quite important to me.

For now I wont be looking into micro 4/3 as I want to try stick with large sensors, but will look into more should I need to consider it!

Thanks for the advice!!

tehkhop
  • tehkhop
  • Veteran

• PipPipPipPip
  • posts 1,511

Posted 04 December 2014 - 04:42 PM

Current I am using a 60D that is shared between me and my uncle. I only like to take it when I have a job to do!
I am pretty set on mirrorless, reason being my friend has the X-pro1 and its been able to keep up really well with my 60d when we go out shooting. I never noticed low light being an issue to be honest. He's actually going to let me borrow it for a while to see how I like it. This would be my primary camera unless I needed to bring the 60D in to play. I'm fortunate enough to have that as an option should I need a better primary camera.

Lens adapters sound good though, +1 for Sony!

With regards to how I make money, I primarily do graphic design and have branched out from there. Also I should mention by making money I mean less than 10k. I'm actually a student!

Fair enough, it'll be good to see what your experiences are!

But how do you make your money? I'm making money, also less than 10k. Less than 10k cents. Seriously I'm just selling prints and making next to nothing.
Computers: Sirius | HP 650 15" Celeron Laptop
Mobile Devices: OnePlus One 64GB | iPad Mini 16GB White | Cheap 10.1" Android Tablet | HP Touchpad
Stuff Ralph54 owes me: 1GB Black USB Stick | SATA 3 cable | IDE/SATA to USB | 8GB Black USB Stick

KaZi61
  • KaZi61

• PipPip
  • posts 118

Posted 04 December 2014 - 05:21 PM

Fair enough, it'll be good to see what your experiences are!

But how do you make your money? I'm making money, also less than 10k. Less than 10k cents. Seriously I'm just selling prints and making next to nothing.

Product photography ! Fun and easy once you get the hang of it.
I thought about applying to do some weddings & events but so much competition. So I work for free for friends and then they refer me to other people which will lead to odd jobs here and there. I think the most ideal situation is to have clients that you have a constant work flow with.

Good luck!
  • tehkhop likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users