• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

lazeraptor
  • lazeraptor
  • Apprentice

• PipPipPip
  • posts 349

Posted 06 July 2011 - 04:31 PM

Hi, looking for some advice on a cheap camera. Will be using it for taking photos of things for trademe auctions, parties etc. Not really into photography enough to justify spending very much. I won't be using it to record video or anythig like that. Looking to spend $130 including a case and sd card. Case + SD card comes to about $20. So either looking at something that comes as a bundle at $130 or something that doesn't at ~$110.

Some cameras I was looking at:
- http://dicksmith.co....l-camera-silver

- http://www.bondandbo...prod107349.html

A whole bunch on sale at JB: http://www.jbhifi.co...ameras/compact/

What is a good brand to go for? I'd preferably want something that doesn't kill batteries too quickly...

LinuxUser
  • LinuxUser
  • PriceSpy

• posts 9,005

Posted 06 July 2011 - 05:04 PM

Canon are good, but some of their models (at least in the past) would cease to recognize well charged batteries as such.

Recommended Power Supplies Recommended review sites Why stores shouldn't be removed RAM voltage

i5 7400, Gigabyte GA-B250M-D3H, 16 GB DDR4, integrated graphics, Adata XPG SX8200 480 GB (NVMe), 3x Kingston SSDNow KC380 120 GB, Corsair MX100 128 GB, Spinpoint F3 1TB HDD, DVD writer, all inside a wood case I built, Dell U2412M 24", U2311H 23" IPS and Philips 150B4 15" monitors, wood-bodied mouse, Dvorak keyboard, openSUSE Tumbleweed, Windows 8.1 Pro in a VB VM inside Linux

I may occasionally give advice regarding (consumer) law, but it is only my opinion based on my reading – I am not a lawyer.

Romans 3:23; 6:23; 5:8; 10:9-10,13

hodgeman
  • hodgeman

• PipPip
  • posts 101

Posted 07 July 2011 - 03:21 PM

Get the highest optical zoom you can for your price range.

I've had a fujifilm that was good on batteries, but it had trouble with movement/action and a panasonic lumix that wasnt as good on battery life and to take a nice clean picture I'd have to be extremely steady, both descent cameras/brands on the cheap.

lazeraptor
  • lazeraptor
  • Apprentice

• PipPipPip
  • posts 349

Posted 08 July 2011 - 02:20 PM

What is the consensus on battery type? Would something with an inbuilt li-ion battery or one where you use AA be better. Looking at the Olympus with inbuilt battery just so I won't need to keep replacing the batteries or buy a rechargable set. Only worry about the inbuild battery is that it will slowly hold less and less charge, and may be expensive to replace.

LinuxUser
  • LinuxUser
  • PriceSpy

• posts 9,005

Posted 11 July 2011 - 04:02 PM

Pretty much all batteries deteriorate over time, but I would say that the Li-Ion batteries are still plug in but specific to that, or that family of, camera(s). Also, you don't necessarily want to have to buy a second proprietary battery just so you can keep taking photos once one has run out.

Recommended Power Supplies Recommended review sites Why stores shouldn't be removed RAM voltage

i5 7400, Gigabyte GA-B250M-D3H, 16 GB DDR4, integrated graphics, Adata XPG SX8200 480 GB (NVMe), 3x Kingston SSDNow KC380 120 GB, Corsair MX100 128 GB, Spinpoint F3 1TB HDD, DVD writer, all inside a wood case I built, Dell U2412M 24", U2311H 23" IPS and Philips 150B4 15" monitors, wood-bodied mouse, Dvorak keyboard, openSUSE Tumbleweed, Windows 8.1 Pro in a VB VM inside Linux

I may occasionally give advice regarding (consumer) law, but it is only my opinion based on my reading – I am not a lawyer.

Romans 3:23; 6:23; 5:8; 10:9-10,13

AzzaKon
  • AzzaKon
  • Amateur

• PipPip
  • posts 61

Posted 11 July 2011 - 07:56 PM

My partner and I purchased a panasonic lumix dmc-fp1 as an emergency camera for our rushed holiday to wellington after the earthquake, https://pricespy.co....ct.php?p=563031 . for 149 bucks with a pack of accessorys like a mini tripod, carry case, and the 4gb card.

I cannot flaw the thing, does what it needs to very well, the auto mode switching works (mostly) as you'd expect it to, battery lasts for ages, and the photos come out crisp.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users