Any experience with Gadgets Online NZ?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

throwawayaccount
  • throwawayaccount
  • Rookie

• posts 1

Posted 30 July 2016 - 05:39 PM

I am buying an s7 edge which is very expensive and I don't want to have any negative experiences with it. I have researched the shop and have not found any negative reviews which seems odd and they are based in Auckland with a dodgy looking shop. So has anyone had any experience with Gadgets Online NZ and what was it like? Thanks. ( I am posting this because the safe shops like PB Tech are 400 dollars more expensive.... )

TomSahz
  • TomSahz
  • Master

• PipPipPipPip
  • posts 2,903

Posted 30 July 2016 - 07:13 PM

No experiences with them but Expert Infotech has a pretty good reputation and looks to be cheaper?

lvmarv
  • lvmarv
  • Apprentice

• PipPipPip
  • posts 637

Posted 30 July 2016 - 07:15 PM

You get what you pay for, which i'm guessing is zero after sales support, and by the look of the website a 1 year RTB warranty. I would generally pay the extra to get a device from an authorised and/or reputable stockist so you get the proper 2 year warranty that Samsung offers in NZ, and the knowledge that potential issues will get looked after properly and to a high standard. That's just me though. 

i5 4670K | Asus Maximus VII Ranger Z97 | 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 1866mhz DDR3 | eVGA GTX980Ti SC | Samsung 840 Pro 250GB | Seagate Barracuda 1TB | Corsair HX1050W | Corsair 600T

Ryzen 5 2600X | Gigabyte GA-AX370-Gaming 5 | 16GB Kingston Hyper X Predator 3200mhz DDR4 | eVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3 | Samsung 970 Evo 500GB | Samsung 850 Evo 1TB | eVGA Supernova G2 750W | Silverstone PM01 Case

LinuxUser
  • LinuxUser
  • PriceSpy

• posts 8,999

Posted 30 July 2016 - 09:06 PM

I don't know. Their reviews look pretty good, but they're only relating to purchases – I'd expect them to look reasonable for anything other than a very bad store. I wouldn't assume reviews are fake just because there's no negative ones. Their website is to a lesser standard than I'd like (particularly the English, e.g. in the T&Cs), but that doesn't say anything at all about how good they are.

I'd probably agree with Tom and try Expert Infotech. However, I am less convinced as to their reputation. In the past it was quite bad, but things seem to have improved since then. Although on reading their reviews, they're still not actually that great – it seems that plenty of issue come up, but they sort things out pretty well once they see reviews complaining about it (I can't say that it is definitely because of the reviews, but that is what the reviews seem to imply).

You get what you pay for, which i'm guessing is zero after sales support, and by the look of the website a 1 year RTB warranty. I would generally pay the extra to get a device from an authorised and/or reputable stockist so you get the proper 2 year warranty that Samsung offers in NZ, and the knowledge that potential issues will get looked after properly and to a high standard. That's just me though. 

The warranty under the Consumer Guarantees Act is almost certainly at least the two years that the manufacturer gives, although it could well take the Disputes Tribunal to get them to comply (which is pretty common, unfortunately). But I agree with you anyway – not having the hassle of having to force them to honour the CGA is worth a fair bit.

(I intended to post this an hour and a half ago, but then the forum wasn't working...)

Recommended Power Supplies Recommended review sites Why stores shouldn't be removed RAM voltage

i5 7400, Gigabyte GA-B250M-D3H, 16 GB DDR4, integrated graphics, Adata XPG SX8200 480 GB (NVMe), 3x Kingston SSDNow KC380 120 GB, Corsair MX100 128 GB, Spinpoint F3 1TB HDD, DVD writer, all inside a wood case I built, Dell U2412M 24", U2311H 23" IPS and Philips 150B4 15" monitors, wood-bodied mouse, Dvorak keyboard, openSUSE Tumbleweed, Windows 8.1 Pro in a VB VM inside Linux

I may occasionally give advice regarding (consumer) law, but it is only my opinion based on my reading – I am not a lawyer.

Romans 3:23; 6:23; 5:8; 10:9-10,13

throwawayaccount
  • throwawayaccount
  • Rookie

• posts 1

Posted 30 July 2016 - 09:47 PM

No experiences with them but Expert Infotech has a pretty good reputation and looks to be cheaper?

Thanks for the recommendation, I hadn't heard of them before and they look good. 

I would like to buy from an authorised reseller but they are almost 50% more expensive, and Expert Infotech which TomSahz recommended looked good so I think I'll go with them. 

I don't know. Their reviews look pretty good, but they're only relating to purchases – I'd expect them to look reasonable for anything other than a very bad store. I wouldn't assume reviews are fake just because there's no negative ones. Their website is to a lesser standard than I'd like (particularly the English, e.g. in the T&Cs), but that doesn't say anything at all about how good they are.

I'd probably agree with Tom and try Expert Infotech. However, I am less convinced as to their reputation. In the past it was quite bad, but things seem to have improved since then. Although on reading their reviews, they're still not actually that great – it seems that plenty of issue come up, but they sort things out pretty well once they see reviews complaining about it (I can't say that it is definitely because of the reviews, but that is what the reviews seem to imply).

The warranty under the Consumer Guarantees Act is almost certainly at least the two years that the manufacturer gives, although it could well take the Disputes Tribunal to get them to comply (which is pretty common, unfortunately). But I agree with you anyway – not having the hassle of having to force them to honour the CGA is worth a fair bit.

(I intended to post this an hour and a half ago, but then the forum wasn't working...)

Thanks for the reply, I think I will go with Expert Infotech. As long as the customer service isn't like other shops (Supero had some shocking reviews) and they sort the issues then I think it is worth saving the four hundred dollars. 

leoli1992
  • leoli1992

• PipPip
  • posts 157

Posted 31 July 2016 - 12:51 AM

I bought a Sony Xperia Z from them back in 2013, still working good, no issues.

i5 4570 | Noctua U12S | Gigabyte Sniper B5 | Ballistix Tracer 8GB | Asus GTX970 Strix| 840 Pro 128GB | Seagate SSHD 2TB | Corsair RM450 | Phantom530 | Samsung S34E790C | Mionix Castor | Razer Mamba 5G Wireless | Das Keyboard 4 | Leopold FC900R Red |  Razer Invicta | Puretrak talent | Steelseries 9H Na'Vi | Sennheiser HD598 | Audio Technica ESW990H & MSR7

TomSahz
  • TomSahz
  • Master

• PipPipPipPip
  • posts 2,903

Posted 31 July 2016 - 11:02 AM

Thanks for the recommendation, I hadn't heard of them before and they look good.

I wouldn't call it a recommendation, just pointing out that they are cheaper and their reviews seem to be ok. My personal experience with stores listed on PS have led me to only use a handful of stores that I personally trust through past experience with them. They are often a bit more expensive, but like lvmarv said, you generally get what you pay for. Thats not to say there aren't any great stores at the cheaper end, but it always pays to be cautious.

• LinuxUser likes this

jaqqour
  • jaqqour
  • Amateur

• PipPip
  • posts 54

Posted 02 August 2016 - 01:14 PM

Brought a $50 Spigen case for my Galaxy S5 from them earlier this year. It arrived within a few days and had certificate of authenticity. Not as high value item as you are looking to buy, but my experience with them was fine.

• TomSahz likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users