• This topic is locked This topic is locked
231 replies to this topic

Syzorr
  • Syzorr

• PipPip
  • posts 103

Posted 15 July 2013 - 05:30 PM

Hi,

Just have been looking in to these guys as they are currently advertising selling tablets at (up to) $100 under competition. Been doing some research in to them after some email discussion with their help desk (they have no contact number in NZ or AUS)

From all my research it looks like they source from multiple overseas locations (explaining their $78.95 shipping cost) and that often the goods don't arrive in good condition (or even in sealed packaging). Looking at the Australian reviews (http://www.productre...-australia.html) for the site, the only "excellent" reviews are made by users that registered *that* day and have only posted a single review each time.

Color me *very* skeptical. What I am wanting to know is, how is it best to bring attention to this so that shoppers are aware?
  • TomSahz, Unregistered43663, jaqqour and 1 other like this

TomSahz
  • TomSahz
  • Master

• PipPipPipPip
  • posts 2,903

Posted 15 July 2013 - 07:05 PM

By doing what you've just done and making a thread in the forums :)

Their star rating on here reflects the 3 very poor reviews they have already received so don't worry about it too much. If people do any looking they will learn to avoid them.
  • Unregistered43663 and stan_doc like this

LinuxUser
  • LinuxUser
  • PriceSpy

• posts 8,999

Posted 15 July 2013 - 09:00 PM

Yeah, I agree they are very dubious.
  • stan_doc likes this

Recommended Power Supplies Recommended review sites Why stores shouldn't be removed RAM voltage

i5 7400, Gigabyte GA-B250M-D3H, 16 GB DDR4, integrated graphics, Adata XPG SX8200 480 GB (NVMe), 3x Kingston SSDNow KC380 120 GB, Corsair MX100 128 GB, Spinpoint F3 1TB HDD, DVD writer, all inside a wood case I built, Dell U2412M 24", U2311H 23" IPS and Philips 150B4 15" monitors, wood-bodied mouse, Dvorak keyboard, openSUSE Tumbleweed, Windows 8.1 Pro in a VB VM inside Linux

I may occasionally give advice regarding (consumer) law, but it is only my opinion based on my reading – I am not a lawyer.

Romans 3:23; 6:23; 5:8; 10:9-10,13

BecexTechconz
  • BecexTechconz
  • Amateur

• posts 51

Posted 17 July 2013 - 08:24 PM

Hi Guys

My name is Andrew BXT NZ. Please allow me to join the discussion :)

We source all the goods from local model and international model and kept these at our int warehouse whilst having a local presence to support customer to ensure we get the best possible prices with local support/warranty.

The downside is though shipping may be costly. However, we are confident that you are still getting the bargain despite of shipping fees(final cost). Feel free to check and compare. We are also happy to price match others whenever possible.

As for productreview, you may also sort from 1 star rating posters and you will find that most of them only left the negative feedback and never logged back in. Not many customers are active in review site as generally people tends not to leave any feedback.

We have been actively conducting survey and asked all customers to provide their feedback regardless positive or negative. Approximately around 5% of them are willing to provide the feedbacks.

Some other third party survey websites:
http://www.womo.com....alia-Docklands/
http://www.shopperap.../becextech.com/

p.s: As for Pricespy rating, 2 have been removed and one last review has been reported. The problem is mainly because of discrepancy on prices. It has been explained that "Our prices are updated daily to ensure the possible low price as possible. There was a slight delay when Pricespy fetched the prices as they do not update the prices real time". By now, it should had been fixed. If not, please do let me know and i will manually fix this

Cheers
Andrew

Unregistered43663
  • Unregistered43663
  • Addicted

• PipPipPipPip
  • posts 1,057

Posted 17 July 2013 - 09:06 PM

Pricespy is a very powerful source for computer parts in New Zealand, so it was a wise move to create a forum account. It's really important to maintain a relationship with the community as it gives a good example of the after sale support. Computer Lounge can be seen around here and they won store of the year for 2012.

Community feedback can be lackluster too. It's a blessing and a curse. sometimes it can be justified, sometimes it can ruin business.
  • LinuxUser, S0up2up and jaqqour like this
My Pooter: Core i5-3570k 4.4GHz || Asus Z77 Sabertooth || 2x Asus GTX 670 DC2-4GD5 4Gb 1.15GHz SLI || Kingston Genesis 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1866MHz CL9 1.65V (1.5V) || 120GB OCZ Vertex 4 || Silverstone Strider 750W ST75F 80+ Gold || Corsair 600T Silver Edition || Windows 8 Pro with Media Center 64-bit || Hyper 212 Evo || Silverstone 120mm Air Penetrator Blue LED CPU Cooler Fans || NZXT Blue LED Lighting ||

BecexTechconz
  • BecexTechconz
  • Amateur

• posts 51

Posted 17 July 2013 - 11:46 PM

Hey SqueedilySpoot

Thanks for your feedback

Sorry for the stupid question, but If you can please re-direct me how to 'create a forum account' then we would be gladly to do it

Cheers
Andrew

Unregistered43663
  • Unregistered43663
  • Addicted

• PipPipPipPip
  • posts 1,057

Posted 18 July 2013 - 12:02 AM

You've already done it!

No worries
My Pooter: Core i5-3570k 4.4GHz || Asus Z77 Sabertooth || 2x Asus GTX 670 DC2-4GD5 4Gb 1.15GHz SLI || Kingston Genesis 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1866MHz CL9 1.65V (1.5V) || 120GB OCZ Vertex 4 || Silverstone Strider 750W ST75F 80+ Gold || Corsair 600T Silver Edition || Windows 8 Pro with Media Center 64-bit || Hyper 212 Evo || Silverstone 120mm Air Penetrator Blue LED CPU Cooler Fans || NZXT Blue LED Lighting ||

andrewcarterit
  • andrewcarterit
  • Rookie

• posts 6

Posted 19 July 2013 - 03:28 PM

Hi there

Only reason there price is cheaper because their price does not include GST and they send goods from overseas, so customer have to pay Import fee + GST/TAX to Customs New Zealand.

Check on their following T/C Page, clearly says

https://www.becextec...4.html?CDpath=0

"the website shall be exclusive of all costs of carriage and applicable import Tax and duty unless otherwise stated which the buyer might pay."

By the time you add import fee + GST / TAX price will work out lot more expensive.

Please check on following Custom website about duty applicable.

http://www.whatsmyduty.org.nz/

It's very misleading for user, user may not be aware of additional duty and taxes... I email Pricespy but no reply.

Cheers

Syzorr
  • Syzorr

• PipPip
  • posts 103

Posted 19 July 2013 - 05:05 PM

This is one of the things that really shines through.

They are offering minimal savings while putting all the risk on the consumer and providing minimal contact details. I honestly cannot state the last time I saw a shop *without* a contact phone number. It is all well and good that they have an active internet presence that shows up to attempt to dispell any issues the moment anything negative is mentioned - but that is hardly the point. They *shouldn't* have to show up - they should just simply provide good service like many other providers (such as Computer Lounge and KTech) already do and consumers should be warned that buying through them carries significant risks for them.

Are there any rules about retailers appearing on Pricespy who are clearly importing the products to the country as they are ordered and placing the risk on the consumer? In this situation it would seem that they aren't providing a local NZ service so much as operating a store front in NZ from Australia.

BecexTechconz
  • BecexTechconz
  • Amateur

• posts 51

Posted 19 July 2013 - 05:17 PM

Hey andrewcarterit

Thanks for your post and the link provided

We are international company, HQ in Au and have with local presence as advised on my previously post. The import fees was specified on our Tcs. You may try to work out the final price and we are happy to price match or go even lower whenever possible

All the purchases cannot be proceeded until the buyer actually read the Terms and condition of sale as we believe this is what they should know.

Cheers
Andrew

BecexTechconz
  • BecexTechconz
  • Amateur

• posts 51

Posted 19 July 2013 - 05:41 PM

Hi Syzorr

Rest assured that it will comes with local NZ warranty. Before we expand to NZ market, we have done all our infrastructure right. We are not looking for quick sale and leave customers in dark. We have been around for 7 years in Australia and takes us about 10 - 12 months to setup our operation in NZ before we launch our 'sister' website.

We will make sure we will provide the same local service like we do to our Australian customers.

As far as for service concerned(whether it's pre, post sales), i can assure you we do provide a good service. If you are in the market for something, you can buy from us and post your
super honest experience here in forum. You have my word.

Of course, don't just take our word, you may check our customers feedback below:

http://www.shopperap...w.becextech.com
http://www.womow.com...alia-Docklands/
http://www.productre...-australia.html
http://www.getprice....h-Australia.htm

Ktech and Computer Lounge are decent stores that are specialized with local computer stuffs. They have the stocks locally and shipped the goods to customer.
They will have no drama if they do this right(which they did)

With us though, it's totally difference concept. Simply saying We cut the middle-man and bring this direct from overseas so sometimes there is a lot of confusion. In Australia, we were one of the pioneer who did this.

We need somebody in place to clarify these(which is why i'm here). Perhaps if you think to have rep in public forum is not a good idea then we will not have rep later on in the future.

Last but not least, our warranty is local and if you wish to know our local repair agent, please PM me :)

Cheers
Andrew

LinuxUser
  • LinuxUser
  • PriceSpy

• posts 8,999

Posted 19 July 2013 - 06:23 PM

Hi there Only reason there price is cheaper because their price does not include GST and they send goods from overseas, so customer have to pay Import fee + GST/TAX to Customs New Zealand. Check on their following T/C Page, clearly says https://www.becextec...4.html?CDpath=0 "the website shall be exclusive of all costs of carriage and applicable import Tax and duty unless otherwise stated which the buyer might pay." By the time you add import fee + GST / TAX price will work out lot more expensive. Please check on following Custom website about duty applicable. http://www.whatsmyduty.org.nz/ It's very misleading for user, user may not be aware of additional duty and taxes... I email Pricespy but no reply. Cheers

That is to be expected with places shipping direct from overseas. Not all of them are like that, but many are.

This is one of the things that really shines through. They are offering minimal savings while putting all the risk on the consumer and providing minimal contact details. I honestly cannot state the last time I saw a shop *without* a contact phone number. It is all well and good that they have an active internet presence that shows up to attempt to dispell any issues the moment anything negative is mentioned - but that is hardly the point. They *shouldn't* have to show up - they should just simply provide good service like many other providers (such as Computer Lounge and KTech) already do and consumers should be warned that buying through them carries significant risks for them. Are there any rules about retailers appearing on Pricespy who are clearly importing the products to the country as they are ordered and placing the risk on the consumer? In this situation it would seem that they aren't providing a local NZ service so much as operating a store front in NZ from Australia.

No, because there's nothing wrong with that. And just because they are importing direct to the customer as ordered doesn't legally give any risk to the customer – they are still responsible under the Fair Trading Act, Consumer Guarantees Act, and such like.

The underlined part basically contradicts the rest of that. If they are operating in NZ, in any way, they have to comply with all NZ laws – which includes the above-mentioned CGA. Also, based on the information we had when you posted this there is no reason to believe they'd require you to send anything internationally if there was a problem. And in their answer to you they claim that their warranty is local anyway.

Hey andrewcarterit Thanks for your post and the link provided We are international company, HQ in Au and have with local presence as advised on my previously post. The import fees was specified on our Tcs. You may try to work out the final price and we are happy to price match or go even lower whenever possible All the purchases cannot be proceeded until the buyer actually read the Terms and condition of sale as we believe this is what they should know. Cheers Andrew

Rot. You can have a check box saying "I have read and agree to the Terms and Conditions", but that doesn't force the buyer to read them. I'll guarantee that around 80% of your customers have never read your terms. And by the way, in NZ it is a breach of the Fair Trading Act for the "fine print" (such as your terms) to alter the agreement in any significant way – including adding in hidden charges such as GST or Customs. In other words, the price showing on a product page is required to reflect GST and Customs charges if it will attract them, otherwise it will be regarded as misleading. Not that I'm suggesting anything you are doing is actually wrong, but I'm just making sure you realise – I've read up on all this quite a bit due to my involvement here, and I must say that the Commerce Commission has a lot of useful information regarding the Fair Trading Act on their site.
  • TomSahz likes this

Recommended Power Supplies Recommended review sites Why stores shouldn't be removed RAM voltage

i5 7400, Gigabyte GA-B250M-D3H, 16 GB DDR4, integrated graphics, Adata XPG SX8200 480 GB (NVMe), 3x Kingston SSDNow KC380 120 GB, Corsair MX100 128 GB, Spinpoint F3 1TB HDD, DVD writer, all inside a wood case I built, Dell U2412M 24", U2311H 23" IPS and Philips 150B4 15" monitors, wood-bodied mouse, Dvorak keyboard, openSUSE Tumbleweed, Windows 8.1 Pro in a VB VM inside Linux

I may occasionally give advice regarding (consumer) law, but it is only my opinion based on my reading – I am not a lawyer.

BecexTechconz
  • BecexTechconz
  • Amateur

• posts 51

Posted 19 July 2013 - 07:34 PM

Hey LinuxUser

Thanks for the useful post

Generally, I agree that some(or most) do not actually read the terms and conditions, but regardless whether it's the electronic agreement or hard copy agreement, purchaser has the obligation, required to review this before they enter into contract. We 'insist' customers to read this by rejecting the order if they have not ticked the Tcs. I hope we are in the right track

As far as i'm concerned, Commerce Commission does not has this "online topic" covered on their site. Their rules are enforced Mortar and Brick stores. I will go on and have a check

If you have the link, please kindly PM me if you don't mind. i will bring this to our management team so they can review this :)

Cheers
Andrew

LinuxUser
  • LinuxUser
  • PriceSpy

• posts 8,999

Posted 19 July 2013 - 08:04 PM

PM'd.

Just in case anyone is wondering, the Fair Trading Act applies to everything except private sales, via any medium (e.g. online, in-store). And the Consumer Guarantees Act applies to everything other than private sales, auctions and competitive tenders.
  • TomSahz likes this

BecexTechconz
  • BecexTechconz
  • Amateur

• posts 51

Posted 19 July 2013 - 08:10 PM

Thanks LinuxUser

received your PM, i appreciate that

Cheers
Andrew

andrewcarterit
  • andrewcarterit
  • Rookie

• posts 6

Posted 19 July 2013 - 10:43 PM

Hi there

Consumer Gurantees Act only applies to New Zealand Business, does not apply to overseas business.

Please check on following website.

http://www.consumer..../what-it-covers

"goods sold over the internet by New Zealand businesses"

Also it is misleading by Pricespy they says all prices on their website including GST, in this case it's not.

"All prices are including GST"

Cheers

LinuxUser
  • LinuxUser
  • PriceSpy

• posts 8,999

Posted 20 July 2013 - 10:25 AM

Wrong, it applies to anyone doing business in NZ. Check out http://www.consumera...-guarantees-act as it is an official website whereas Consumer is not.

Good catch about that. I'll report it. Edit: Actually, looks like I won't need to – they're not being shown due to not fulfilling PriceSpy's requirements (probably about this very issue).

Edited by LinuxUser, 20 July 2013 - 10:27 AM.

• TomSahz likes this

andrewcarterit
  • andrewcarterit
  • Rookie

• posts 6

Posted 11 September 2013 - 02:10 PM

Hi there

Only reason there price is cheaper because their price does not include GST and they send goods from overseas, so customer have to pay Import fee + GST/TAX to Customs New Zealand.

Check on their following T/C Page, clearly says

https://www.becextec...4.html?CDpath=0

"the website shall be exclusive of all costs of carriage and applicable import Tax and duty unless otherwise stated which the buyer might pay."

By the time you add import fee + GST / TAX price will work out lot more expensive.

Please check on following Custom website about duty applicable.

http://www.whatsmyduty.org.nz/

It's very misleading for user, user may not be aware of additional duty and taxes... I email Pricespy but no reply.

Cheers

BecexTech / Value Basket  listed again on pricespy,

I think pricespy not sure what they doing, they do not check about GST /Duty Status

Dave_C_
  • Dave_C_
  • Rookie

• posts 4

Posted 11 September 2013 - 07:13 PM

Can someone please explain to me why, when I go from price spy to the 'stores site', and add an item to the cart (eg. product priced at 369 to get lowest price position) that the price immediately changes to approx 452 (without yet adding shipping etc)
Do these sites advertise in aussie dollars (through pricespy) and then convert to NZ dollars if we actually select an item ?
Very misleading in my view and needs to be stopped !

TomSahz
  • TomSahz
  • Master

• PipPipPipPip
  • posts 2,903

Posted 11 September 2013 - 07:28 PM

Can someone please explain to me why, when I go from price spy to the 'stores site', and add an item to the cart (eg. product priced at 369 to get lowest price position) that the price immediately changes to approx 452 (without yet adding shipping etc)
Do these sites advertise in aussie dollars (through pricespy) and then convert to NZ dollars if we actually select an item ?
Very misleading in my view and needs to be stopped !

Hi Dave, Welcome to the site. Can you provide a link for the item?

Dave_C_
  • Dave_C_
  • Rookie

• posts 4

Posted 11 September 2013 - 07:52 PM

Link to Pricespy product https://pricespy.co....t.php?p=1604006 Becex tech $369

Going to their site and selecting the Lumix TZ40 - price jumps up !

Word Of Madness
  • Word Of Madness
  • Veteran

• PipPipPipPip
  • posts 2,186

Posted 11 September 2013 - 07:56 PM

Says $369 for me.

https://www.becextec...ml#.UjAhy8Zmh8E

$75 shipping though :blink:
|| Big Bear || Viceroy || Viceroy Build Log || Peripherals ||
|| Steam ||
|| My name does not have an "L" in it ||

Dave_C_
  • Dave_C_
  • Rookie

• posts 4

Posted 11 September 2013 - 08:05 PM

Ah! forgive me, it does say that, but I did not notice (this morning) that when adding to cart and moving forward, there is no way to avoid the hidden costs

- Memory : 4GB SD +NZ$19.00
- Extended Warranty : + 1 Year +NZ$64.50
- Free Extra : Free Insurance
- Warranty : 1 Year

and mandatory $75 dollar postage, taking the price up to within $25 bucks or so of the next cheapest - who by the way has none of these such hidden unavoidable costs

No doubt a buyer beware situation - very misleading, and certainly no way of knowing about it when just viewing Pricespy details !

Dave_C_
  • Dave_C_
  • Rookie

• posts 4

Posted 11 September 2013 - 08:11 PM

and apologies again - you have to unclick the default addons
yes agree about the $75 shipping

LinuxUser
  • LinuxUser
  • PriceSpy

• posts 8,999

Posted 11 September 2013 - 08:40 PM

BecexTech / Value Basket listed again on pricespy,

And show up with a Hong Kong flag instead of a NZ flag. So anyone buying from them should know they're dealing with an overseas company, not a NZ company.

KingSwize
  • KingSwize

• PipPip
  • posts 126

Posted 11 September 2013 - 10:20 PM

Can someone explain to me why the shipping is $75... Hong Kong isnt even that far from NZ... Even if its like EMS or DHL it should in no way be $75... I bought a mechanical keyboard from USA and it was only $28 for shipping and it came in 3 working days...

KingSwize
  • KingSwize

• PipPip
  • posts 126

Posted 11 September 2013 - 10:28 PM

I have another complaint. https://www.becextec...ml#.UjBFd8bryU4 You guys advertise this as having Priority delivery but then you guys still charge me extra for shipping...? Isn't this false advertising...

BecexTechconz
  • BecexTechconz
  • Amateur

• posts 51

Posted 12 September 2013 - 02:29 AM

Hi KingSwize

We are back now and being listed as overseas store despite our local presence for our warranty.

We have 2 packages on offer:
Priority package(AU$29.95) - Insurance is optional, postage gets priority over to Free insurance package

Free Insurance Package(AU$74.95) - Comes with free postage insurance to cover both lost and damage during transit, postage is slower

They are also the same product(only differs because of above features). Whichever item you are buying, the final price will remain the same

Cheers
Andrew

BecexTechconz
  • BecexTechconz
  • Amateur

• posts 51

Posted 12 September 2013 - 02:36 AM

Hi andrewcarterit

We are back on Pricespy and listed being overseas store as LinuxUser said despite our local warranty offer.

When we launched our NZ site, we decided and made all the prices are GST inclusive, however after discussion with Pricespy management, they classify us as overseas based estore. Also, due to this status, we are considering if we just better off withdraw our NZ warranty and to make the price even cheaper.

It's shame, but we respect their decision

Customers are simply given a more option when they shop and they can work out the difference. If they feel it's cheaper for them then they can take the offer or if not they can simply walk away.

Cheers
Andrew

BecexTechconz
  • BecexTechconz
  • Amateur

• posts 51

Posted 12 September 2013 - 02:39 AM

Hi Dave_C_

You can always remove the accessories :)

Cheers
Andrew

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users