Which Gaming headset?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

andytheape
  • andytheape

• PipPip
  • posts 144

Posted 28 January 2015 - 08:33 PM

I'm looking at getting a not terrible gaming headset.

Basically want them to have mic and ideally over ear with closed back, so far im looking between

HyperX Cloud - http://www.amazon.co...22365307&sr=1-2

Razer Kraken Pro - http://www.amazon.co...pf_rd_i=desktop

Steelseries Siberia v2 - http://www.amazon.co...pf_rd_i=desktop

Does anyone have much experience with any of these or something in similar price range? They will pretty much be purely for when gaming and the mic is an important part of it dont want it to be terrible.

And an odd question, would you be able to wear these on a plane without looking silly? I think their mics are easy enough to hide away and these might be better than using open backs (at the moment i just use crappy IEMs)

Unregistered43663
  • Unregistered43663
  • Addicted

• PipPipPipPip
  • posts 1,057

Posted 28 January 2015 - 09:03 PM

HyperX Cloud hands down. Especially out of those three.

My ranking in terms of price...
HyperX Cloud: 9/10
Steelseries Siberia V2: 7/10
Razer Kraken Pro: 5/10

Also don't bother getting the new HyperX cloud. You don't need the inline sound card.
You can use the HyperX cloud on the plane, you just remove the detachable mic.
  • andytheape likes this
My Pooter: Core i5-3570k 4.4GHz || Asus Z77 Sabertooth || 2x Asus GTX 670 DC2-4GD5 4Gb 1.15GHz SLI || Kingston Genesis 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1866MHz CL9 1.65V (1.5V) || 120GB OCZ Vertex 4 || Silverstone Strider 750W ST75F 80+ Gold || Corsair 600T Silver Edition || Windows 8 Pro with Media Center 64-bit || Hyper 212 Evo || Silverstone 120mm Air Penetrator Blue LED CPU Cooler Fans || NZXT Blue LED Lighting ||

Word Of Madness
  • Word Of Madness
  • Veteran

• PipPipPipPip
  • posts 2,186

Posted 28 January 2015 - 10:01 PM

And an odd question, would you be able to wear these on a plane without looking silly? I think their mics are easy enough to hide away and these might be better than using open backs (at the moment i just use crappy IEMs)

They'll all look a bit silly being 'gamer' products, but as far as I'm aware they all have removable mics, so that will help at least.

The audio on most gaming headsets is going to be bad. If you aren't going to consider grabbing a separate set of headphones and a desk/clip-on mic, then I'd probably go for the Clouds. They're Takstar 80s with a mic, which are considered reasonable ~$50US closed headphones.
  • andytheape likes this
|| Big Bear || Viceroy || Viceroy Build Log || Peripherals ||
|| Steam ||
|| My name does not have an "L" in it ||

tehkhop
  • tehkhop
  • Veteran

• PipPipPipPip
  • posts 1,511

Posted 10 February 2015 - 05:11 PM

Read my Razer Kraken Pro review.

Spoiler

• RealOxygen likes this
Computers: Sirius | HP 650 15" Celeron Laptop
Mobile Devices: OnePlus One 64GB | iPad Mini 16GB White | Cheap 10.1" Android Tablet | HP Touchpad
Stuff Ralph54 owes me: 1GB Black USB Stick | SATA 3 cable | IDE/SATA to USB | 8GB Black USB Stick

jonovw
  • jonovw
  • Apprentice

• PipPipPip
  • posts 264

Posted 10 February 2015 - 08:00 PM

I still don't get why people keep looking at gaming headsets. You'll get a better experience going with ordinary headphones, and getting a webcam if you're cheap, or getting a desktop mic if you can afford/need it.
  • TomSahz and LinuxUser like this

RealOxygen
  • RealOxygen
  • Apprentice

• PipPipPip
  • posts 389

Posted 10 February 2015 - 08:06 PM

Tbh we need a nice simple block of recommendations that people can just look at. I like what tehkhop has done with his thread on headphones, but for someone like me (and I assume many others) who just want the best deal on some head mounted noise makers it isn't so nice to read :P That is probably why people steer towards gaming headsets like the HyperX cloud, as they are much easier to follow along with.

TomSahz
  • TomSahz
  • Master

• PipPipPipPip
  • posts 2,903

Posted 11 February 2015 - 07:09 AM

JVC HARX900s and cheap Zalman Mic1. Solid, cheap setup without the flimsy gaming gear compromises.

19th
  • 19th
  • Apprentice

• PipPipPip
  • posts 644

Posted 11 February 2015 - 10:07 AM

Those cheap Zalman microphones suck, I've listened to them a lot. I would be more inclined to pay a bit more and get a Samson Meteor or an Audio Technica ATR-2500 (among others) when Amazon have a sale on them. It's easy to buy a cheap microphone, but you're not the one who has to listen to it  <_<

Edit: Massdrop have some good microphones from time to time too, it's worth keeping an eye on them

• TomSahz likes this

TomSahz
  • TomSahz
  • Master

• PipPipPipPip
  • posts 2,903

Posted 11 February 2015 - 12:16 PM

Yeah I'll definitely look at upgrading the Mic when I see a good deal, but so far I've had no complaints from gaming buddies or team members.

RealOxygen
  • RealOxygen
  • Apprentice

• PipPipPip
  • posts 389

Posted 11 February 2015 - 12:50 PM

Can't recommend the Blue Snowball enough as a cheap mic that will last you a long, long time.

Unregistered43663
  • Unregistered43663
  • Addicted

• PipPipPipPip
  • posts 1,057

Posted 11 February 2015 - 01:05 PM

My gaming buddies all have terrible microphones bar one and myself. I certainly don't listen to my headphones at a loud volume as I'm so careful with my ears, but I'm forced to turn them down during Skype calls because of how sibilant those terrible headset microphones are. I have two friends who regularly join the Skype calls that are absolutely razer mad (but they're my life long friends...) It drives me nuts. Either listen to glass shattering highs or turn your headphones down to the point where you struggle to hear other people. They just absolute suck. However my other friend has a blue snowball and it's placed on his desk so that it picks up his computer hum and keyboard typing. Not to mention reverb from the acoustics of his room. Trying to tell him to position his microphone in a better location falls on deaf ears as "he took audio engineering at high school, it's just Skype compression".

/rant over.

There are lots of variables at play, but a terrible microphone can't be fixed. Get a condenser microphone like a snowball if you want warm sensitive pickup and position it correctly (I cannot stress this enough, a snowball will sound terrible if just plopped on a desk). Get a dynamic microphone like a shure sm57 if you have a noisy environment and just want to pick up your own voice and nothing around you (this has to be positioned directly at your mouth however).
My Pooter: Core i5-3570k 4.4GHz || Asus Z77 Sabertooth || 2x Asus GTX 670 DC2-4GD5 4Gb 1.15GHz SLI || Kingston Genesis 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1866MHz CL9 1.65V (1.5V) || 120GB OCZ Vertex 4 || Silverstone Strider 750W ST75F 80+ Gold || Corsair 600T Silver Edition || Windows 8 Pro with Media Center 64-bit || Hyper 212 Evo || Silverstone 120mm Air Penetrator Blue LED CPU Cooler Fans || NZXT Blue LED Lighting ||

jonovw
  • jonovw
  • Apprentice

• PipPipPip
  • posts 264

Posted 11 February 2015 - 02:15 PM

My gaming buddies all have terrible microphones bar one and myself. I certainly don't listen to my headphones at a loud volume as I'm so careful with my ears, but I'm forced to turn them down during Skype calls because of how sibilant those terrible headset microphones are. I have two friends who regularly join the Skype calls that are absolutely razer mad (but they're my life long friends...) It drives me nuts. Either listen to glass shattering highs or turn your headphones down to the point where you struggle to hear other people. They just absolute suck. However my other friend has a blue snowball and it's placed on his desk so that it picks up his computer hum and keyboard typing. Not to mention reverb from the acoustics of his room. Trying to tell him to position his microphone in a better location falls on deaf ears as "he took audio engineering at high school, it's just Skype compression".

/rant over.

There are lots of variables at play, but a terrible microphone can't be fixed. Get a condenser microphone like a snowball if you want warm sensitive pickup and position it correctly (I cannot stress this enough, a snowball will sound terrible if just plopped on a desk). Get a dynamic microphone like a shure sm57 if you have a noisy environment and just want to pick up your own voice and nothing around you (this has to be positioned directly at your mouth however).

Sounds like you should use something like TeamSpeak then.  You can set custom volumes for different people in that.  

I love the way my Logitech C310 webcam works.  I just have it sitting on my monitor, and it picks up all the sound in the room really clearly.  It wouldn't work so well in a noisy environment though.

• KrazyKap likes this

tehkhop
  • tehkhop
  • Veteran

• PipPipPipPip
  • posts 1,511

Posted 11 February 2015 - 03:28 PM

@Ralph54 recently bought one for $50 and it sounds amazing, can't remember what it is however... I'll ask him tonight.

Mobile Devices: OnePlus One 64GB | iPad Mini 16GB White | Cheap 10.1" Android Tablet | HP Touchpad
Stuff Ralph54 owes me: 1GB Black USB Stick | SATA 3 cable | IDE/SATA to USB | 8GB Black USB Stick

tehkhop
  • tehkhop
  • Veteran

• PipPipPipPip
  • posts 1,511

Posted 11 February 2015 - 04:56 PM

http://www.modmic.com/that's the one.

• jonovw likes this

KrazyKap
  • KrazyKap
  • Veteran

• PipPipPipPip
  • posts 1,602

Posted 11 February 2015 - 08:47 PM

To be fair, Skype does sound terrible compared to Teamspeak or Mumble in my experience.

My Rig: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv | Phanteks PH-TC12DX | i5 4670K | Asus Z97M-Plus | EVGA GTX 970 | 16GB Patriot RAM | Silverstone Strider Plus

Peripherals: AOC 12367Fh + LG Flatron 21.5" | AT-M50X + Samson Go Mic | CM Storm Quick Fire Pro - Cherry MX Red | Roccat Kone Pure

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users