• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

the_tick
  • the_tick
  • Rookie

• posts 5

Posted 03 October 2014 - 10:00 AM

Hi,

Im looking to buy a new TV and was wondering if anyone had any advice to help me choose between these models:

60" Plasma ~$1000
http://www.harveynor...-plasma-tv.html

60" LCD 100Hz ~$1700
http://www.harveynor...led-lcd-tv.html

50" LCD 100Hz ~$1000
http://www.harveynor...cd-tv-en-2.html

50" 4K LCD 50Hz ~$1700
http://www.harveynor...led-lcd-tv.html

Just wondering if anyone can rule any of these TV's out or recommend any, I would be looking at pairing it with a Chromecast or similar so having a smart TV isn't essential but advice on this would be appreciated also. Would I be able to do everything that a smart TV can with a Chromecast, could I do more?

- Is it worth getting 4K yet?
- Is getting true 100Hz worth it?
- Is it still worth getting a Plasma?
- Can Chromecast do everything a smart TV does

Thanks in advance for any help :)

tehkhop
  • tehkhop
  • Veteran

• PipPipPipPip
  • posts 1,511

Posted 03 October 2014 - 10:29 AM

It really depends how long you want the TV to last, if you're rich and replace your TV every year or 2, then I'd get the 60" LCD 100Hz.
But if you want this to last something like 5 years, then I'd go for the 50" 4k LCD 50Hz, for when 4K content begins existing.

To answer your questions:

- 4K is worth it if you plan on having a TV to last you a good amount of years, but you will get slightly worse quality for the time being, but it will be a *bit* sharper

- I wouldn't really say 100Hz is worth it, but still would be nice.

- I really don't know.

- Yep.
Computers: Sirius | HP 650 15" Celeron Laptop
Mobile Devices: OnePlus One 64GB | iPad Mini 16GB White | Cheap 10.1" Android Tablet | HP Touchpad
Stuff Ralph54 owes me: 1GB Black USB Stick | SATA 3 cable | IDE/SATA to USB | 8GB Black USB Stick

krishant007
  • krishant007

• PipPip
  • posts 219

Posted 03 October 2014 - 10:36 AM

Just my 2c.. Dont get Plasma mate - the technology is dying. 4K is good - but there isnt much content out there to watch so maybe its not worth it yet - give it another 2 years or so to become mainstream. 1080P would be the one to get.

Between the 2 LCDs you have stated - depends on the size of your living area. General rule of thumb, the distance between TV and couch is 3 times the size of the TV - not a strict rule though.

Also, consider Sony KDL60-W600B. Bit more pricy (and I have seen these below the 2K mark - go in and haggle!!) But much better TV for the money. You can get it down to 1800 - much better TV than the Pana model you got up there

LinuxUser
  • LinuxUser
  • PriceSpy

• posts 8,999

Posted 03 October 2014 - 11:13 AM

Just my 2c.. Dont get Plasma mate - the technology is dying. 4K is good - but there isnt much content out there to watch so maybe its not worth it yet - give it another 2 years or so to become mainstream. 1080P would be the one to get.

Between the 2 LCDs you have stated - depends on the size of your living area. General rule of thumb, the distance between TV and couch is 3 times the size of the TV - not a strict rule though.

Also, consider Sony KDL60-W600B. Bit more pricy (and I have seen these below the 2K mark - go in and haggle!!) But much better TV for the money. You can get it down to 1800 - much better TV than the Pana model you got up there

The thing is, that as Tehkhop said, if it lasts for more than two years you'll have that content but not the 4K TV.

Recommended Power Supplies Recommended review sites Why stores shouldn't be removed RAM voltage

i5 7400, Gigabyte GA-B250M-D3H, 16 GB DDR4, integrated graphics, Adata XPG SX8200 480 GB (NVMe), 3x Kingston SSDNow KC380 120 GB, Corsair MX100 128 GB, Spinpoint F3 1TB HDD, DVD writer, all inside a wood case I built, Dell U2412M 24", U2311H 23" IPS and Philips 150B4 15" monitors, wood-bodied mouse, Dvorak keyboard, openSUSE Tumbleweed, Windows 8.1 Pro in a VB VM inside Linux

I may occasionally give advice regarding (consumer) law, but it is only my opinion based on my reading – I am not a lawyer.

Romans 3:23; 6:23; 5:8; 10:9-10,13

tehkhop
  • tehkhop
  • Veteran

• PipPipPipPip
  • posts 1,511

Posted 03 October 2014 - 12:20 PM

Just remembered, Noel Leemings have a sale on down at ASB show grounds greenlane, pretty amazing deals so if you're in Auckland and can buy the TV before 9PM today then take a look.
Computers: Sirius | HP 650 15" Celeron Laptop
Mobile Devices: OnePlus One 64GB | iPad Mini 16GB White | Cheap 10.1" Android Tablet | HP Touchpad
Stuff Ralph54 owes me: 1GB Black USB Stick | SATA 3 cable | IDE/SATA to USB | 8GB Black USB Stick

ryanc1256
  • ryanc1256
  • Addicted

• PipPipPipPip
  • posts 1,258

Posted 03 October 2014 - 12:53 PM

- Can Chromecast do everything a smart TV does

Kinda, but it's a bit different. You also need an android or ios phone to use it. you can watch most things on the internet just by streaming it to the chromecast but there are a lot of application's (apps) that just support the chrome cast on your phone for example, netflix does, youtube and twitch.tv (does now, if you like watching game streams), and there are a lot more but you get the picture.
  • S0up2up likes this
Current build: intel i5 2500k | ati 7970 | 8gb RAM | seasonic 750 | Samsung Spin Disk 1TB | cooler master 690 ii advanced| 23.6" ViewSonic Monitor
Next build (2016 maybe): awesome parts :) (Is that better harleh)

battlelog :: My Nubish Github

S0up2up
  • S0up2up
  • Master

• PipPipPipPip
  • posts 3,298

Posted 03 October 2014 - 02:22 PM

Just remembered, Noel Leemings have a sale on down at ASB show grounds greenlane, pretty amazing deals so if you're in Auckland and can buy the TV before 9PM today then take a look.

Can someone buy a UHD TV for me and then ship it down? Are the deals really that good?
  • LinuxUser likes this

Rig: Corsair 350D | i7 4770K | 16gb Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz | 2x Sapphire R9 290X (CrossfireX) | 2x Samsung 840 Pro 256 (Raid 0) | Seasonic Platinum 1000W | Intel AC 7260 Wireless Card.
Cooling: EK Supremacy Full Nickel (Mounted direct die) | EK 290X full block (Acetal/ Nickel) | Acrylic hard tubing | XSPC PWM D5 | Corsair SP120 PWM fans - Quiet Edition | Bitspower C47 fittings
Gadgets: iPhone 6 64Gb

eliongater
  • eliongater
  • Veteran

• PipPipPipPip
  • posts 2,181

Posted 03 October 2014 - 09:54 PM

Iirc the chrome cast only does 720p so will look pretty bad on 4k. I wouldn't say it's a good replacement for a Smart TV, more an addition
Steam Battlelog Raptr 404 So many Pixels so little Time: i5-3570k | Maximus V Gene | Sapphire 7950 Vapor-X | 8gb samsung | QNIX QX2710

Tom's DinDin Place™.

ryanc1256
  • ryanc1256
  • Addicted

• PipPipPipPip
  • posts 1,258

Posted 03 October 2014 - 10:20 PM

Iirc the chrome cast only does 720p so will look pretty bad on 4k. I wouldn't say it's a good replacement for a Smart TV, more an addition

It depend's on what the app is, it does support 1080p though. Like I can stream to my chromecast from my desktop at 1080p right now if i wanted I think the netflix app streams at 1080 as well, depending on if your connection can handle it.

Edit: 1080p is only in beta for streaming your desktop at the moment so yeah. so you should be able to stream anything at 1080p just not screencast from your desktop atm.

https://support.goog...r/3046409?hl=en
Current build: intel i5 2500k | ati 7970 | 8gb RAM | seasonic 750 | Samsung Spin Disk 1TB | cooler master 690 ii advanced| 23.6" ViewSonic Monitor
Next build (2016 maybe): awesome parts :) (Is that better harleh)

battlelog :: My Nubish Github

apple cupcakes
  • apple cupcakes

• PipPip
  • posts 131

Posted 03 October 2014 - 11:48 PM

I would absolutely recommend you get the plasma, compared to a cheap LCD the quality difference is generally quite noticable. Plasma is a dying tech is because it has a bad name due to the problems it used to have, will require a significant amount of R&D to achieve 4k at 60-70", and in showrooms they look terrible.

Burn-in is no longer a significant problem as the rated life of modern plasmas is +100k hours so uneven wear is hard to achieve. The motion on a plasma is also much better than LCDs, especially IPS based tvs. In fact on a side not I would recommend if you decide on an LCD get a VA panel as they are quicker than IPS and have roughly 3x the contrast.

Blacks are also superior on plasma, generally having a contrast ratio of 5-10k depending on the set, as opposed to ~3k for VA and ~1k for IPS.

About the refresh rates, 100Hz is useful depending on personal preference. Many people do not like the soap opera effect which 100Hz panels create, which is when motion looks too smooth making the video look fake. Some people prefer it though, so I recommend you look at a set in person and decide if you like it. Most 100Hz tvs let you turn the interpolation off however so if the cost is the same there is no reason to not buy one. I would still recommend the plasma however as the 100Hz is not useful for games it is not a true 100Hz, rather being interpolated to mimic a higher frame rate whilst increasing input delay. Plasmas do not have the problems with motion that requires 100Hz so i would still recommend the plasma set in this regard.

Surprisingly at the lower end of tvs plasmas are often better for gaming too as they have far better motion depication and as burn-in is not a large concern anymore.

How far away from your set do you plan on sitting? 4K would be worth it in my opinion on a 50" if you were sitting at or closer than about 2m. If you are that close go for it, though if not you will be sacrificing PQ for a higher res. If you are further away than that the jump from 50"-60" would be very helpful.

LCD isn't without its positives though. They are much lighter, which sounds trivial but a 60" plasma is not easy to move. In very bright rooms LCD is much more easily viewable than cheap plasmas due to the surface of the panel being coated in matte plastic, as opposed to the shiny glass which plasmas have.

The power LCD uses is lower too, my 50" Panasonic plasma is rated for 360w while the LG 50" LCD I replaced was rated at about 200w I think. Being $700 cheaper than the 60" LCD however this isn't as significant as far as future costs go.

I probably sound a bit like a plasma fanboy, but I am sold on them since I found the ghosting on the LG LB5820 to be incredibly distracting as it cheap IPS panel which are terrible for good motion unless good overdrive is used which sadly many tvs don't use well.

IMO if your tv will not be in direct sunlight and you do more nighttime viewing than daytime get the 60" plasma. $1000 for a 60" is an amazing price too, I recently got a 50" Panasonic for $950 which was a reasonable price but am kicking myself for missing this.

If you do a lot of daytime viewing however I recommend the LCD simply due to the much more forgiving coating under bright light.
  • benhanna likes this

the_tick
  • the_tick
  • Rookie

• posts 5

Posted 04 October 2014 - 12:25 PM

Thanks for all the comments guys!

Gonna have a think about it over the next couple of days, cheers for the input :)

andytheape
  • andytheape

• PipPip
  • posts 144

Posted 05 October 2014 - 07:43 PM

Can someone buy a UHD TV for me and then ship it down? Are the deals really that good?

I tried to get my sister to do this last year because it was better TV than what I was looking at and about $400 cheaper than I could find it anywhere else (55in LG cant remember what exactly now). Unfortunately she bought 1 and couldnt fit a 2nd in her car. D'oh
  • tehkhop likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users