• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

jjknz
  • jjknz
  • Apprentice

• PipPipPip
  • posts 800

Posted 15 August 2014 - 01:30 PM

Wow, thanks for the extensive insight into the headphones. Really much appreciated, it was a good read.
It's given me more direction into what I might want to get.

Apparently my Klipsch S4s are bass end biased. But these are my very very first sort of entry level audiophile IEMs. So the sound quality is a lot better in every aspect from where I was coming from.

I like house, drumstep, bass heavy music.

Yeah, I did say I enjoy bass heavy stuff, but these days mostly I'm listening to Soft Rock.
I guess I just want an all-rounder. Is it right to assume slight equalization will make most headphones fit to my taste?

Heracles: Intel Core i7 3770K | ASUS GTX 760 x2 SLI | 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro Red | Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H | Antec High Current Gamer 850W | Samsung 840 Series 120GB | Seagate Barracuda 1TB | Toshiba 640GB | ASUS Xonar DSX | Corsair Carbide 300R | Corsair Air Series AF140 Quiet x2 | TP-Link Archer T9E ]

Word Of Madness
  • Word Of Madness
  • Veteran

• PipPipPipPip
  • posts 2,186

Posted 15 August 2014 - 01:40 PM

If you want extensive spend a few hours reading on places like Head-Fi and Inner Fidelity :D

You can also take a look at things like this, although only use it as a rough guideline:
  • TomSahz likes this
|| Big Bear || Viceroy || Viceroy Build Log || Peripherals ||
|| Steam ||
|| My name does not have an "L" in it ||

jjknz
  • jjknz
  • Apprentice

• PipPipPip
  • posts 800

Posted 15 August 2014 - 01:43 PM

If you want extensive spend a few hours reading on places like Head-Fi and Inner Fidelity :D

You can also take a look at things like this, although only use it as a rough guideline:

I'm assuming the dB is the sensitivity? And the lines represent how well they perform at each frequency?
So the HD558 and Q701s would have better bass response?

Heracles: Intel Core i7 3770K | ASUS GTX 760 x2 SLI | 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro Red | Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H | Antec High Current Gamer 850W | Samsung 840 Series 120GB | Seagate Barracuda 1TB | Toshiba 640GB | ASUS Xonar DSX | Corsair Carbide 300R | Corsair Air Series AF140 Quiet x2 | TP-Link Archer T9E ]

Word Of Madness
  • Word Of Madness
  • Veteran

• PipPipPipPip
  • posts 2,186

Posted 15 August 2014 - 01:49 PM

It just gives you an idea of the sound signature of that headphone, whether it's bright, or bass heavy, etc, by letting you know how much dB of sound is output at that frequency.

Have a read of the guide from the site that does the graphs.

I had a look and your Klipsch S4s are on there too, although I'm not sure how valid it is to compare IEMs to full size headphones.
|| Steam ||

jjknz
  • jjknz
  • Apprentice

• PipPipPip
  • posts 800

Posted 15 August 2014 - 02:07 PM

I'm gonna ask my retailer if I can try before I buy. Or at least get a full refund if I don't like them.

Word Of Madness
  • Word Of Madness
  • Veteran

• PipPipPipPip
  • posts 2,186

Posted 15 August 2014 - 02:12 PM

Where are you located? Surely there's a few audio shops around where you try out some display models. Look for the smaller higher end audio retailers rather than the big box stores, although the large stores are probably still worth checking just incase they've got some good models on display. JBs in Dunedin usually have a few sets of high end Sennheiser, along with lower end models and few from other brands, while Harvey's have the Ultimate Ears which are all right, and the Beats/50Cent/Skullcandy/etc which are atrocious. The small store Totally Wired has the Grado range as well as some from Tivolli and NuForce. Strawberry Sound was great though. Heaps of AKGs to choose from, some nice ones from PSB, as well as some Denons, Focals, Marshalls and a few others which I forget. I can't imagine where you live if Dunedin outclasses you for electronics retail.
  • MassaHarri likes this
|| Steam ||

jjknz
  • jjknz
  • Apprentice

• PipPipPip
  • posts 800

Posted 15 August 2014 - 02:17 PM

I'm in a small town called Masterton, 1.5 hours north from Wellington. I might have to go down there to check some stuff out. In the meantime I'm getting some ATH A500Xs in to try, see how they sound.

krishant007
  • krishant007

• PipPip
  • posts 219

Posted 15 August 2014 - 02:22 PM

Just my 2cents. I had the Audio Technica M50. They were amazing. Some of the best sounds I have heard. The only issue (as pointed out earlier by someone), they were not the most comfortable ones. DONT get me wrong, I could wear them 5 hours non stop without much issue, but after this they started to get annoying. And yes they were quite heavy as well. Ended up selling them after an year of use.

I recently got Bose AE2 for myself as I always loved the feel and comfort of them! They are not the best sounding ones around - at least not as good as M50, but they are above average for sure. I picked them up on a decent sale. No regrets on the Bose. They are the most comfortable headphones I have ever tried (and I have tried quite a few!). I would go back to Audio Technica M50 if they were more comfortable and a bit lighter..

If you want comfort, use the Bose as your baseline! Their plush leather earcups are super plush.

I also have Logitech Gaming headphones - I have used beats as well (they are ridiculous!!, they look alright yes, but thats about it!). Also tried out Soul by Ludacris - i swear, never buying hip hop artists headphones anymore. Well, 50cent just released star wars headphones - I'd get those.. lol.. Also have used Sennheiser PX200ii and HD260 which were good as well. But Audio Technica are best of the bunch in terms of sound quality.

I would love to try out AKG and Grado. Have always heard good things about them but never sure which one to get. And I cannot justify buying another set of headphones at this stage.

Hope that helps :)
  • MassaHarri and jjknz like this

Word Of Madness
  • Word Of Madness
  • Veteran

• PipPipPipPip
  • posts 2,186

Posted 15 August 2014 - 02:31 PM

I'm in a small town called Masterton, 1.5 hours north from Wellington.

You're the one who was explaining why having a high K/D ratio was good in that other thread right? I got dem Googil maps, I can look this stuff up :D

Whether it's worth a trip into Welly is up to you. You may not even find the headphones you want to try, although it can give you a point of comparison. If you think Grados have enough bass, but the reviews say the bass is a bit lacking, then you'll probably be fine with the AKGs you couldn't find which are also said to lack bass. If you just buy a set based on reviews, you won't be disappointed. If you've never owned or listened to some decent headphones before then almost anything from decent brand over $200 is going to be great, even some of the sub $150 headphones will still kick the ass of whatever you had before. But as stated on the other page, you may not be buying the best ones available to you. I'd probably just chance it and buy something online.

I would love to try out AKG and Grado. Have always heard good things about them but never sure which one to get. And I cannot justify buying another set of headphones at this stage.

If you want to try them out, see if you can catch some used SR60i or SR80i. I picked up my SR80i for $80, and they provide good value at their retail price of $170. If you just want to try open headphones in general then have a look at the AKG style headphones from Samson and Superlux. There's also some from Somic which are supposed to sound great, but have crap build and comfort, but if you're into headphone modding, they may be a good starting point just like the Fostex T50RP.
  • jjknz likes this
|| Steam ||

jjknz
  • jjknz
  • Apprentice

• PipPipPip
  • posts 800

Posted 15 August 2014 - 02:32 PM

You're the one who was explaining why having a high K/D ratio was good in that other thread right? I got dem Googil maps, I can look this stuff up :D

Yes 'tis me hahaha. On afterthought I feel like a moron explaining all that. But hey, it's ok. It can be a new trend.

Here are the headphones I'm looking at, trying to get more in-depth info on these:
https://pricespy.co....l=138000&view=l

MassaHarri
  • MassaHarri
  • Apprentice

• PipPipPip
  • posts 930

Posted 15 August 2014 - 08:03 PM

Among other headphones, I also have some ath-t500's and they are great value. Haven't done much research, but they look similar to the a500's but have the headrest piece across the head. Very comfortable and sound fantastic. Not as much bass as the m50s, but enough.
  • jjknz likes this

jjknz
  • jjknz
  • Apprentice

• PipPipPip
  • posts 800

Posted 15 August 2014 - 08:05 PM

Among other headphones, I also have some ath-t500's and they are great value. Haven't done much research, but they look similar to the a500's but have the headrest piece across the head. Very comfortable and sound fantastic. Not as much bass as the m50s, but enough.

That's good to hear. Comfort is a big point for me. Can't wait till I get to test a pair when they come in. Noel Leeming were nice enough to say that I'm allowed to try before I buy. They usually don't ship in stuff just to 'try.'

jjknz
  • jjknz
  • Apprentice

• PipPipPip
  • posts 800

Posted 17 August 2014 - 02:10 PM

Hey guys, do any of you have experience with velour ear pads on headphones? I hear they are (subjectively) more comfortable.

AstoriaParanoia
  • AstoriaParanoia
  • Wannabe

• Pip
  • posts 14

Posted 17 August 2014 - 02:50 PM

I had some on a Corsair headset which have velour pads..
Didn't like the sound but boy were they super comfortable.
  • jjknz and Jaysan_Theta like this

19th
  • 19th
  • Apprentice

• PipPipPip
  • posts 644

Posted 17 August 2014 - 03:12 PM

I bought a pair of Audio Technica ATH-M40x headphones a few weeks back for $130 after my Logitech G35s snapped (after 5 or so years of use), absolutely loving them, they're really comfy too. I've got them running through a Sony amplifier hooked up to my PC and the sound is jaw-droppingly good.

My budget when I was looking for a new pair was around $150, and I reckon these are definitely one of the best bang/buck cans out there. The M40X tend to have a more neutral sound than the M50X which I like too. Supposedly they sound pretty much the same, except people say that the bass is lacking a bit on the M40X compared to the M50X due to a slightly smaller driver (40mm vs 45mm). I don't feel like the bass is lacking at all, especially when the amp is powering them, the sound detail is amazing, I'm not a bass head though.

They're great on the go too, nice and portable.

jjknz
  • jjknz
  • Apprentice

• PipPipPip
  • posts 800

Posted 22 August 2014 - 01:29 PM

After testing it out, I ended up going with the Audio Technica A500X. It sounds so nice! I'll try have a review of some sort up after a few days usage.
  • TomSahz and MassaHarri like this

tehkhop
  • tehkhop
  • Veteran

• PipPipPipPip
  • posts 1,511

Posted 22 August 2014 - 02:01 PM

Nice choice, hope you like them.
Computers: Sirius | HP 650 15" Celeron Laptop
Mobile Devices: OnePlus One 64GB | iPad Mini 16GB White | Cheap 10.1" Android Tablet | HP Touchpad
Stuff Ralph54 owes me: 1GB Black USB Stick | SATA 3 cable | IDE/SATA to USB | 8GB Black USB Stick

Unregistered43663
  • Unregistered43663
  • Addicted

• PipPipPipPip
  • posts 1,057

Posted 22 August 2014 - 04:02 PM

Everyone is buying headphones recently! I just bought a pair of Beyerdynamic DT990 pros to replace my AT M50s
  • jjknz likes this
My Pooter: Core i5-3570k 4.4GHz || Asus Z77 Sabertooth || 2x Asus GTX 670 DC2-4GD5 4Gb 1.15GHz SLI || Kingston Genesis 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1866MHz CL9 1.65V (1.5V) || 120GB OCZ Vertex 4 || Silverstone Strider 750W ST75F 80+ Gold || Corsair 600T Silver Edition || Windows 8 Pro with Media Center 64-bit || Hyper 212 Evo || Silverstone 120mm Air Penetrator Blue LED CPU Cooler Fans || NZXT Blue LED Lighting ||

jjknz
  • jjknz
  • Apprentice

• PipPipPip
  • posts 800

Posted 22 August 2014 - 04:06 PM

Haha. This is my first pair! They sound sooo premium. I love the detail in the treble especially. Female vocalists sound like they are singing into my ears from inside my head. I can hear all the tiny details like slight inhales and lip smacking. I feel like this is money well spent.
  • MassaHarri and Unregistered43663 like this

Unregistered43663
  • Unregistered43663
  • Addicted

• PipPipPipPip
  • posts 1,057

Posted 23 August 2014 - 12:40 PM

It's a nice feeling isn't it haha. I had that reaction too and remember asking myself why everything before this has sounded so bad. Is it some sort of conspiracy?
My Pooter: Core i5-3570k 4.4GHz || Asus Z77 Sabertooth || 2x Asus GTX 670 DC2-4GD5 4Gb 1.15GHz SLI || Kingston Genesis 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1866MHz CL9 1.65V (1.5V) || 120GB OCZ Vertex 4 || Silverstone Strider 750W ST75F 80+ Gold || Corsair 600T Silver Edition || Windows 8 Pro with Media Center 64-bit || Hyper 212 Evo || Silverstone 120mm Air Penetrator Blue LED CPU Cooler Fans || NZXT Blue LED Lighting ||

jjknz
  • jjknz
  • Apprentice

• PipPipPip
  • posts 800

Posted 23 August 2014 - 12:57 PM

IKR? It's a treat for my ears. I've deleted any audio files that are low quality haha. Trying to keep it 256kbps and above for mp3s. Need me some CDs!

MassaHarri
  • MassaHarri
  • Apprentice

• PipPipPip
  • posts 930

Posted 23 August 2014 - 01:31 PM

If you want to EQ certain frequencies then this system wide EQ is fantastic http://sourceforge.n...s/equalizerapo/

You enable it for a sound device and control the db per frequency in a config txt file. I've boosted multiple frequencies under 75hz and I now get the bass that I wanted on my T500's.
  • TomSahz, S0up2up, jjknz and 2 others like this

jjknz
  • jjknz
  • Apprentice

• PipPipPip
  • posts 800

Posted 23 August 2014 - 10:49 PM

If you want to EQ certain frequencies then this system wide EQ is fantastic http://sourceforge.n...s/equalizerapo/

You enable it for a sound device and control the db per frequency in a config txt file. I've boosted multiple frequencies under 75hz and I now get the bass that I wanted on my T500's.

Thanks man, I'm using my Xonar Audio Center and it seems to be doing OK. I have it in an ever so slight 'U' shape.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users