KrazyKap
  • KrazyKap
  • Veteran

• PipPipPipPip
  • posts 1,604

Posted 25 November 2015 - 10:31 PM

My internet at this flat sucks:

4861395438.png

however even with that sort of connection I would expect to get a stable ping in game unless there is strain on the network. So I get the idea that the only thing I could do to fix that would be to prioritize traffic to my PC.

But we have a pretty crap router: TP-Link TD-W8968.

Is there anything I can do with the pre-installed firmware?

If it's any help: http://puu.sh/ly53N/4e7b0112a7.png

My Rig: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv | Phanteks PH-TC12DX | i5 4670K | Asus Z97M-Plus | EVGA GTX 970 | 16GB Patriot RAM | Silverstone Strider Plus

Peripherals: AOC 12367Fh + LG Flatron 21.5" | AT-M50X + Samson Go Mic | CM Storm Quick Fire Pro - Cherry MX Red | Roccat Kone Pure

LinuxUser
  • LinuxUser
  • PriceSpy

• posts 9,005

Posted 26 November 2015 - 07:39 AM

If there's anything there, it is probably under "Bandwidth Control". Other than that, I can't really help.

Recommended Power Supplies Recommended review sites Why stores shouldn't be removed RAM voltage

i5 7400, Gigabyte GA-B250M-D3H, 16 GB DDR4, integrated graphics, Adata XPG SX8200 480 GB (NVMe), 3x Kingston SSDNow KC380 120 GB, Corsair MX100 128 GB, Spinpoint F3 1TB HDD, DVD writer, all inside a wood case I built, Dell U2412M 24", U2311H 23" IPS and Philips 150B4 15" monitors, wood-bodied mouse, Dvorak keyboard, openSUSE Tumbleweed, Windows 8.1 Pro in a VB VM inside Linux

I may occasionally give advice regarding (consumer) law, but it is only my opinion based on my reading – I am not a lawyer.

Romans 3:23; 6:23; 5:8; 10:9-10,13

john9815
  • john9815
  • Wannabe

• Pip
  • posts 18

Posted 26 November 2015 - 12:59 PM

I would suggest the Xiaomi Mi-Wifi Mini router. Picked mine up for 30 USD and I'm running OpenWRT on mine with the PandoraBox 14.09 r512 / LuCI Trunk (0.12+svn-r512) GUI.

It works rather nicely, have VLANS and SQM setup on a VDSL2+ Connection.

Theres plenty of ram and storage for more scripts if you want.

So if you were to pick one of these up, you could do general terminal bashing and setup possibly a round robin distrubition system and an efficient QoS system.

• KrazyKap likes this

tehkhop
  • tehkhop
  • Veteran

• PipPipPipPip
  • posts 1,511

Posted 26 November 2015 - 05:07 PM

I would suggest the Xiaomi Mi-Wifi Mini router. Picked mine up for 30 USD and I'm running OpenWRT on mine with the PandoraBox 14.09 r512 / LuCI Trunk (0.12+svn-r512) GUI.

It works rather nicely, have VLANS and SQM setup on a VDSL2+ Connection.

Theres plenty of ram and storage for more scripts if you want.

So if you were to pick one of these up, you could do general terminal bashing and setup possibly a round robin distrubition system and an efficient QoS system.

1. I completly agree, I've got 3 of those xiaomi routers in my house as APs.

2. Didn't realize you could put OpenWRT on them, which is awesome, so I'm going to do just that.

3. Only problem I have with them is they have wireless AC, but don't have gigabit ports.

4. Judging by the OP, I think he's stuck with the current setup (since he's only using the stock firmware)

So yeah, if you can get yourself something new, get a xiaomi, unless you can afford something a bit better (with gigabit ethernet hopefully), however, if you can't get something new:

- Heavily consider a 3rd party firmware, when done correctly, chances of it bricking are very very minuscule.

- Look for QoS settings in your router, however IIRC, my old router (W8960N) had pretty cruddy QoS settings.

• KrazyKap likes this
Computers: Sirius | HP 650 15" Celeron Laptop
Mobile Devices: OnePlus One 64GB | iPad Mini 16GB White | Cheap 10.1" Android Tablet | HP Touchpad
Stuff Ralph54 owes me: 1GB Black USB Stick | SATA 3 cable | IDE/SATA to USB | 8GB Black USB Stick

KrazyKap
  • KrazyKap
  • Veteran

• PipPipPipPip
  • posts 1,604

Posted 26 November 2015 - 06:49 PM

Cheers for the replies :) 

I'll have to look into it more closely, but those options sound very sensible. The fact that I'm just a flatmate here and don't necessarily have control is a pain, and sadly fibre won't be here until after June 2016 (even though just down the other end of my road has fibre, and one block in every other direction does too).

Only other thing I'm unsure of is whether my theory that this connection is good enough for stable ping is true or not.

My Rig: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv | Phanteks PH-TC12DX | i5 4670K | Asus Z97M-Plus | EVGA GTX 970 | 16GB Patriot RAM | Silverstone Strider Plus

Peripherals: AOC 12367Fh + LG Flatron 21.5" | AT-M50X + Samson Go Mic | CM Storm Quick Fire Pro - Cherry MX Red | Roccat Kone Pure

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users