26 replies to this topic

jtchal
  • jtchal
  • Addicted

• PipPipPipPip
  • posts 1,125

Posted 15 June 2013 - 11:11 AM

Hey guys,
Coming to you for some advice and tips, I've had my SGS2 for more than a year a half now.
Still very happy with it, but since updating to the 4.1.2 android version earlier this year the phone seems to run out of device memory all the time.
I'm meant to have 1.97 GB of device memory which I believe I do, and my apps are only taking up like 443 MB at the moment. The available storage space is only displaying 300 MB, so the question is what is taking up the other 1 GB+ of space?!

I tried having a look on google and all I could find was on cyanogen forums where people had rooted their phones etc, which I'm not familiar with and would like to avoid if possible.
But it seems to be the data/log folder that's just taking everything in. i.e. I had 306 MB earlier this morning and as I am typing this I only have 300 left.

Does anyone know if there's a way to clean up those folders without tampering with the OS too much? This 'running out of space' message on my notification bar is really annoying me. I did a full factory reset not long ago and it fixed the problem temporarily but it seems to be a repetitive thing after a while. So not too keen on doing another factory reset as I barely have any apps installed on my phone...

Let me know if you guys have any ideas.

Cheers

- Battlelog -
 | Corsair AX650 | InWin 904 | Corsair H100i | And not much else at the moment...

LinuxUser
  • LinuxUser
  • PriceSpy

• posts 9,005

Posted 15 June 2013 - 11:15 AM

I would take that to be permanent storage, rather than RAM?

In which case it is most likely a log file of some kind as you say, or alternatively one of your apps gone crazy (most likely).

Recommended Power Supplies Recommended review sites Why stores shouldn't be removed RAM voltage

i5 7400, Gigabyte GA-B250M-D3H, 16 GB DDR4, integrated graphics, Adata XPG SX8200 480 GB (NVMe), 3x Kingston SSDNow KC380 120 GB, Corsair MX100 128 GB, Spinpoint F3 1TB HDD, DVD writer, all inside a wood case I built, Dell U2412M 24", U2311H 23" IPS and Philips 150B4 15" monitors, wood-bodied mouse, Dvorak keyboard, openSUSE Tumbleweed, Windows 8.1 Pro in a VB VM inside Linux

I may occasionally give advice regarding (consumer) law, but it is only my opinion based on my reading – I am not a lawyer.

Romans 3:23; 6:23; 5:8; 10:9-10,13

jtchal
  • jtchal
  • Addicted

• PipPipPipPip
  • posts 1,125

Posted 15 June 2013 - 11:41 AM

Yes it is the permanent storage, that's where all the apps get installed then if they are too big then get switched to the USB storage.
This is what I can see:

Posted Image

- Battlelog -
 | Corsair AX650 | InWin 904 | Corsair H100i | And not much else at the moment...

ryanc1256
  • ryanc1256
  • Addicted

• PipPipPipPip
  • posts 1,258

Posted 15 June 2013 - 12:14 PM

Wow, using up 1.2GB thats weird, maybe it's some samsung app's caching stuff (a lot) or some thing's making massive log files.... I've had an android phone for like 4 years and I don't know why that's happening...
Current build: intel i5 2500k | ati 7970 | 8gb RAM | seasonic 750 | Samsung Spin Disk 1TB | cooler master 690 ii advanced| 23.6" ViewSonic Monitor
Next build (2016 maybe): awesome parts :) (Is that better harleh)

battlelog :: My Nubish Github

jtchal
  • jtchal
  • Addicted

• PipPipPipPip
  • posts 1,125

Posted 16 June 2013 - 01:39 PM

I'm quite annoyed, really don't know what's causing it. I'm thinking it might be google music, since I upgraded to the 4.1.2 F.W it seems to be running in the background 24/7... I have never used it before. Going to see if there's any fixes. Grrr

- Battlelog -

Republican
  • Republican
  • Apprentice

• PipPipPip
  • posts 316

Posted 16 June 2013 - 02:56 PM

i dont mean to be rude but your very limited without rooting in these circumstances, normally you would just flash another region/ rom or revert to CWM backup since its the OS side thats the issue

factory reset disable all and just have the basic programs and see if it continues after a 2 days, otherwise find someone to do it for you.
i never had this issue updating my s2

jtchal
  • jtchal
  • Addicted

• PipPipPipPip
  • posts 1,125

Posted 16 June 2013 - 03:39 PM

Will try another factory reset, I just checked my mates SII who's storage info/details are looking normal. Phone is starting to lag a lot now too 96MB free as I speak, factory reset here I come.

- Battlelog -

HellboY47
  • HellboY47
  • Apprentice

• PipPipPip
  • posts 287

Posted 16 June 2013 - 04:07 PM

Will try another factory reset, I just checked my mates SII who's storage info/details are looking normal. Phone is starting to lag a lot now too 96MB free as I speak, factory reset here I come.

My Galaxy S2 is on 4.1.2 and ive had no problems with storage. Mind you i did reset it recently because i had alot of clutter, so a reset might do the trick. If that doesnt work, download an external file manager ( I use File Expert HD) and try to put everything off that flash storage, and maybe onto a Micro sdCard. Message me personally if you need any help because ive got the same device and firmware, so i could probably help you out more than others. ( not picking names B) )

Attached Files

• TomSahz and HybridTheory like this

HybridTheory
  • HybridTheory
  • Apprentice

• PipPipPip
  • posts 341

Posted 17 June 2013 - 07:38 AM

+^

I try not to store ANYTHING on my internal permanent memory on my S4.. I unload everything to the SD card..

Hopefully you can free some space up. Good luck buddy :) Keep us posted
  • HellboY47 likes this

LinuxUser
  • LinuxUser
  • PriceSpy

• posts 9,005

Posted 17 June 2013 - 05:51 PM

As said above, after doing the factory reset leave it with a bare minimum of apps for a few days. That would minimise the chance that the problem is caused by an app.

Recommended Power Supplies Recommended review sites Why stores shouldn't be removed RAM voltage

i5 7400, Gigabyte GA-B250M-D3H, 16 GB DDR4, integrated graphics, Adata XPG SX8200 480 GB (NVMe), 3x Kingston SSDNow KC380 120 GB, Corsair MX100 128 GB, Spinpoint F3 1TB HDD, DVD writer, all inside a wood case I built, Dell U2412M 24", U2311H 23" IPS and Philips 150B4 15" monitors, wood-bodied mouse, Dvorak keyboard, openSUSE Tumbleweed, Windows 8.1 Pro in a VB VM inside Linux

I may occasionally give advice regarding (consumer) law, but it is only my opinion based on my reading – I am not a lawyer.

Romans 3:23; 6:23; 5:8; 10:9-10,13

jtchal
  • jtchal
  • Addicted

• PipPipPipPip
  • posts 1,125

Posted 17 June 2013 - 07:44 PM

So after doing a factory reset, the phone is a lot better to use. I keep checking the storage from time to time and it seems to be normal... I have uninstalled the Google Music updates and then disabled it. It seemed to start running all the time without me even opening it up. So hopefully that was issue. Will update the thread in a while.

In saying that, my friend just rooted his SIII and is more than happy with it. He's trying to get me to do my phone now. Soooo that might happen in the future in case I have issues with it again.

- Battlelog -

ryanc1256
  • ryanc1256
  • Addicted

• PipPipPipPip
  • posts 1,258

Posted 17 June 2013 - 07:53 PM

So after doing a factory reset, the phone is a lot better to use. I keep checking the storage from time to time and it seems to be normal... I have uninstalled the Google Music updates and then disabled it. It seemed to start running all the time without me even opening it up. So hopefully that was issue. Will update the thread in a while.

In saying that, my friend just rooted his SIII and is more than happy with it. He's trying to get me to do my phone now. Soooo that might happen in the future in case I have issues with it again.

Yeah, thats good... I have google music open most of the time, and ive never had this problem... And yeah, I've done it to most of my android phones, just so i can remove some bloatware apps that really annoy me.
  • TomSahz likes this
Current build: intel i5 2500k | ati 7970 | 8gb RAM | seasonic 750 | Samsung Spin Disk 1TB | cooler master 690 ii advanced| 23.6" ViewSonic Monitor

HellboY47
  • HellboY47
  • Apprentice

• PipPipPip
  • posts 287

Posted 17 June 2013 - 07:56 PM

I rooted my S2 to CyanogenMod 10.1 nightly, because i found out that Android 4.1.2 was the last stop for the S2. I now run the basic android software, and i must say it feels alot less cluttered without all the touchwiz garbage on my phone :)
  • TomSahz, LinuxUser and ryanc1256 like this

ryanc1256
  • ryanc1256
  • Addicted

• PipPipPipPip
  • posts 1,258

Posted 17 June 2013 - 09:22 PM

I rooted my S2 to CyanogenMod 10.1 nightly, because i found out that Android 4.1.2 was the last stop for the S2. I now run the basic android software, and i must say it feels alot less cluttered without all the touchwiz garbage on my phone :)

Yeah , my beloved htc sensation, is stopping on 4.1.2 as well, so I installed aokp which is based off CyanogenMod... And now my phones on 4.2.2 and i'm loving clean android without all the htc sense garbage...

Republican
  • Republican
  • Apprentice

• PipPipPip
  • posts 316

Posted 18 June 2013 - 12:15 AM

i couldnt wait to use custom roms, the delay of ics officially on phones was 1 year behind then JB was around the corner,will happen again with KLP, thankfully cyanogen and akop will release it after the sources are out.updates are faster without sense,touchwiz Ui ontop.

you gotta root these days have control, i cant imagine using android without SU, with many features , adblock on websites - less demanding, firewall,monitor wakelocks, delete bloat apps in system/app, backup app data, colour correction for lcd screens and then you got battery improvements with kernels.
  • TomSahz, ryanc1256 and HellboY47 like this

ryanc1256
  • ryanc1256
  • Addicted

• PipPipPipPip
  • posts 1,258

Posted 18 June 2013 - 07:46 AM

i couldnt wait to use custom roms, the delay of ics officially on phones was 1 year behind then JB was around the corner,will happen again with KLP, thankfully cyanogen and akop will release it after the sources are out.updates are faster without sense,touchwiz Ui ontop.

you gotta root these days have control, i cant imagine using android without SU, with many features , adblock on websites - less demanding, firewall,monitor wakelocks, delete bloat apps in system/app, backup app data, colour correction for lcd screens and then you got battery improvements with kernels.

So true.. I think my rom gets updated like a week after the android source code comes out.

HellboY47
  • HellboY47
  • Apprentice

• PipPipPip
  • posts 287

Posted 18 June 2013 - 09:25 AM

ill post a pic of my storage again after the root/JB to show the OP what it did to my ram and storage. :)
  • ryanc1256 likes this

jtchal
  • jtchal
  • Addicted

• PipPipPipPip
  • posts 1,125

Posted 18 June 2013 - 09:46 AM

Keen to see that!

- Battlelog -

HellboY47
  • HellboY47
  • Apprentice

• PipPipPip
  • posts 287

Posted 18 June 2013 - 10:40 AM

Attached File  cpuz1.jpg   70.48KB   0 downloads

Okay so this photo is how much ram i have with it on standby mode, considerably less then before when i had touchwiz on.

Attached File  sdcard1.jpg   56.49KB   0 downloads

And the sd card one is how much i have on my sd card after transferring stuff over. :)
Attached File  storage1.jpg   49.15KB   0 downloads

The storage photo is how much free space i have on my phone.

I'll try find the link for you if you want to go further with the whole Cyanogen Mod process.
  • TomSahz likes this

jtchal
  • jtchal
  • Addicted

• PipPipPipPip
  • posts 1,125

Posted 18 June 2013 - 10:46 AM

Hmmm that looks rather good! And yes please, so long as it's a fairly basic process as I'm useless when it comes to messing about with phones.

- Battlelog -

HellboY47
  • HellboY47
  • Apprentice

• PipPipPip
  • posts 287

Posted 18 June 2013 - 10:58 AM

Please be careful with this decision as you lose all the touch wiz stuff and it goes back to pure vanilla android. Make sure you back up your stuff (contacts etc.) so you dont lose them. Also back up any games saves that you can (for me it was minecraft)

http://www.ibtimes.c...nightly-rom.htm

Here is the guide. You can skip step five if you have backed up already.

There are three things you need to download. The custom rom http://www.get.cm/?device=i9100.

The program Odin .http://www.google.co.nz/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=odin%201.85&source=web&cd=1&sqi=2&ved=0CCkQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fforum.xda-developers.com%2Fattachment.php%3Fattachmentid%3D581913%26d%3D1304094576&ei=xZO_UbP9J6iZiQeLoIGoBw&usg=AFQjCNF7sF0f2yJp0IxHp1ISlP2fzGKhtw&bvm=bv.47883778,d.aGc&cad=rja

Clockwork Mod for Galaxy S2 : http://forum.xda-dev...d.php?t=1118693 (This helps transfer the zip files to SD CARD.

And the Gapps Zip File. http://goo.im/gapps/...0301-signed.zip

Follow it all correctly and you should get it all done nice and quickly.

If it hangs at boot after you have done the switch, wipe data / factory reset and it should be nice and done :)

email me if you need personal help - h3llboy47@gmail.com or Pricespy Message Me.
  • TomSahz and ryanc1256 like this

jtchal
  • jtchal
  • Addicted

• PipPipPipPip
  • posts 1,125

Posted 23 June 2013 - 12:40 PM

Looks like this will be happening soon. Already have 200MB that are unaccounted for...
I will need some tips as to how to and what to backup. All of my contacts are saved to my google account.
I don't have any game data to back up.
What else is there to back up? No media either. Maybe recent txts.

Do I back them up on Samsung Kies or something else?

- Battlelog -

ryanc1256
  • ryanc1256
  • Addicted

• PipPipPipPip
  • posts 1,258

Posted 23 June 2013 - 01:26 PM

Looks like this will be happening soon. Already have 200MB that are unaccounted for...
I will need some tips as to how to and what to backup. All of my contacts are saved to my google account.
I don't have any game data to back up.
What else is there to back up? No media either. Maybe recent txts.

Do I back them up on Samsung Kies or something else?

Samsung Kies wont sync with your phone after you go through with this (as far as I'm aware), all you backup is your contacts messages that you want to save, just anything you want to save...

you do a back up in the Clockwork mod recovery thing...

jtchal
  • jtchal
  • Addicted

• PipPipPipPip
  • posts 1,125

Posted 24 June 2013 - 06:59 PM

Times were tough yesterday, thought I'd screwed up the phone completely.
Managed to give it a second life though! See for yourself, still getting used to CM10.1 but liking it so far!

Posted Image
  • TomSahz, LinuxUser and ryanc1256 like this

- Battlelog -

ryanc1256
  • ryanc1256
  • Addicted

• PipPipPipPip
  • posts 1,258

Posted 24 June 2013 - 08:17 PM

Times were tough yesterday, thought I'd screwed up the phone completely.
Managed to give it a second life though! See for yourself, still getting used to CM10.1 but liking it so far!

Yeah, its fantastic. I had it on my old phone for about 1 and half years...

Republican
  • Republican
  • Apprentice

• PipPipPip
  • posts 316

Posted 03 July 2013 - 12:50 PM

Its quite hard to brick a phone unless you do something very stupid, I remember my anti virus stoped me flashing in the middle of the process, I was so scared, it worked after I disabled it

Make sure you back up the efs folder, samsung puts vital imei info in a flashable section, flashing stock rom can fix it.
  • ryanc1256 likes this

Shehab0
  • Shehab0
  • Rookie

• posts 1

Posted 20 February 2017 - 06:57 PM

Smartphones are used everyday, it is easy to out of space. One way you can clean junk files and temp files, the other way is to transfer your files to computer and delete them on your Android to free up more space. You can backup Samsung data to computer.

Edited by Shehab0, 21 February 2017 - 02:38 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users