Mighty Ape: a warning for first-time customers

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

number 6
  • number 6
  • Rookie

• posts 1

Posted 27 January 2021 - 08:25 PM

I placed my first Mighty Ape order recently, using a credit card, and was surprised to then get an email that a not-previously-mentioned step of "ID Verification" was also required.  But fair enough -- by avoiding getting ripped off they don't have to charge more to cover such losses.  However, after I replied with a scan of one of the requested documents nothing happened to my order status for several days; it continued to state that he item was in stock and would be shipped "today".

So I posted to their Customer Support asking could they please tell me when my order was likely to actually ship.  I did not get a reply.  In later unrelated correspondence they said that one could expect replies within 2-4 business days, which IMO is pretty slack when a customer is contacting them about an unexpected delay in the first place.  And indeed they did get the verification sorted out within that period, enabling the order to be shipped.

The moral of the story is that first-time customers should be prepared for an unadvertised delay, and that "today" is not necessarily today.

tbonesteak
  • tbonesteak
  • Apprentice

• PipPipPip
  • posts 330

Posted 28 January 2021 - 11:24 AM

Yeah I hate their support, they have the worst support when it comes to refunds too. Only store that has ever tried their hardest to weasel out of refunding on a faulty product.

Edited by tbonesteak, 28 January 2021 - 12:33 PM.

LinuxUser
  • LinuxUser
  • PriceSpy

• posts 9,034

Posted 28 January 2021 - 04:11 PM

Interesting. The old GP Forums experiences with online retailers thread ranked them pretty high, and support was something they seemed to consider fairly important. Must have got worse since then, and that was quite a number of years ago now.

Wanting credit cards verified is not uncommon and is quite fair, but for them to take a few days to handle their end of things is not good enough.

Recommended Power Supplies Recommended review sites Why stores shouldn't be removed RAM voltage

i5 7400, Gigabyte GA-B250M-D3H, 16 GB DDR4, integrated graphics, Adata XPG SX8200 480 GB (NVMe), 3x Kingston SSDNow KC380 120 GB, Corsair MX100 128 GB, Spinpoint F3 1TB HDD, DVD writer, all inside a wood case I built, Dell U2412M 24", U2311H 23" IPS and Philips 150B4 15" monitors, wood-bodied mouse, Dvorak keyboard, openSUSE Tumbleweed, Windows 8.1 Pro in a VB VM inside Linux

I may occasionally give advice regarding (consumer) law, but it is only my opinion based on my reading – I am not a lawyer.

Romans 3:23; 6:23; 5:8; 10:9-10,13

Sury
  • Sury
  • Amateur

• PipPip
  • posts 67

Posted 31 January 2021 - 09:43 AM

That's rather interesting. Wonder if they are short-staffed in some area's of the business.
At least with a company like this, they have a ticketing system so email's don't just go to a generic email address and 1 or 2 people deal with it.

My last inquiry I had with them was end of last year before Christmas which I got a response after 2days, in saying this it wasn't a pressing issue.

Before ordering with stores, I am the type of person who looks through FAQs, shipping terms and conditions etc..
Mighty Ape does have this information on their site, in regards to ID Verification with new customers.
https://help.mightya...ty-verification

Mighty Ape got acquired by Kogan.com last December, so there may have been changes of policies in regards to how things are done now, compared to the past.

I have shopped with Mighty Ape for the past 10yrs, so I can not speak of a new customer experience, but their ordering and shipping is pretty fast. Multiple times I have had things ship from Mighty Ape and had them arrive within 24hours.
Only time there are delays is holiday sales which you can guarantee at least 2-4day delay.

Edited by Sury, 31 January 2021 - 05:49 PM.

Corsair 750D | Asus Z97 Deluxe(NFC & WLC) | Intel i7 4690K | Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB DDR3 | Gigabyte G1 980TI | Samsung 840 256GB | Samsung 850 Evo 500GB | WD Blue 1TB | Sound Blaster Z | Corsair AX1200i | Noiseblocker BlackSilent Pro Fans
Custom Water Cooled: EK GPU Block | Koolance 380i CPU Block | Bitspower Fittings | Bitspower 150 Upgrade Kit | Bitspower D5 Mod Top | Bitspower D5 Mod Kit | SwifTech D5 Pump | PrimoChill Compression Fittings | Primochill PETG Tubing

LinuxUser
  • LinuxUser
  • PriceSpy

• posts 9,034

Posted 01 February 2021 - 07:51 AM

Ha, Kogan. I've heard bad things about them, because they also bought the Dick Smith Electronics brand. For example, https://classic.pric...?showtopic=4357 and https://classic.pric...?showtopic=4566

So that probably explains things about Mighty Ape.

Recommended Power Supplies Recommended review sites Why stores shouldn't be removed RAM voltage

i5 7400, Gigabyte GA-B250M-D3H, 16 GB DDR4, integrated graphics, Adata XPG SX8200 480 GB (NVMe), 3x Kingston SSDNow KC380 120 GB, Corsair MX100 128 GB, Spinpoint F3 1TB HDD, DVD writer, all inside a wood case I built, Dell U2412M 24", U2311H 23" IPS and Philips 150B4 15" monitors, wood-bodied mouse, Dvorak keyboard, openSUSE Tumbleweed, Windows 8.1 Pro in a VB VM inside Linux

I may occasionally give advice regarding (consumer) law, but it is only my opinion based on my reading – I am not a lawyer.

Romans 3:23; 6:23; 5:8; 10:9-10,13

DZander
  • DZander
  • Amateur

• PipPip
  • posts 57

Posted 01 February 2021 - 08:49 AM

https://www.stuff.co...for-127-million

But still should be existing management until 2023 at least...

but we might be seeing the implications of:

had been tracking Mighty Ape for a number of years and believed it could vastly expand the company's product range and lower its prices.

10 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 10 guests, 0 anonymous users