• Please log in to reply
178 replies to this topic

Unregistered28435075
  • Unregistered28435075
  • Apprentice

• PipPipPip
  • posts 419

Posted 14 October 2012 - 12:00 PM

I built an i3 2100 system for someone earlier with the integrated graphics, so the power consumption was minuscule.
Initially I used the Corsair CX430 unit, which did not work properly, the computer would not shut down.
It would restart approx. 2 seconds after powering off. So thinking the unit was faulty, I sent it back and got a brand new replacement.
It did the same thing again with the replacement unit, so I decided to add a graphics card to the system and try to shut it down then. It shut down fine since the power consumption of the system was increased...
So I believed that the PSU would not shut down properly when the system wasn't pulling enough power out of it.
Ended up getting an Antec 400W PSU which was at the same price. Shut down no problem. The person I built the computer for ended up getting their system about 3 weeks later than expected :s
So I personally would stay away from the Corsair CX PSUs if using a low-wattage system.

I found this thread which indicates that there was a problem with the original CX series when under very low loads
http://forum.corsair...ead.php?t=96784

Couldn't find anything with the CXv2/v3 series so the problem has probably been fixed.

You have to remember that these are budget units, so the quality is not as high as expensive units, so it is more likely that there will issues with the power supply.

Solid 400W options are Corsair CX v2/v3, Strider Essential, Antec Neo Eco.
Aywun Mega Power Pro is the same platform as OCZ ZS if I remember correctly, so will be solid.
Also I found a review on the Aywun Megapower Elite, which reveals that it is the same platform as the Silverstone Essential, so should be decent for a budget build.
http://hardwareinsig...upply-review/3/
  • LinuxUser likes this

hodgeman
  • hodgeman

• PipPip
  • posts 104

Posted 14 October 2012 - 12:42 PM

Unless your running a sli system, you can get away with almost any cheap 650 watt psu. Only power supplies i'd avoid are the ones that come with cheap tower cases and ones without off switches.

ChairmanDrew
  • ChairmanDrew
  • Apprentice

• PipPipPip
  • posts 559

Posted 14 October 2012 - 01:11 PM

Unless your running a sli system, you can get away with almost any cheap 650 watt psu. Only power supplies i'd avoid are the ones that come with cheap tower cases and ones without off switches.

I'd say a comment like this goes against the purpose of the thread.
  • TomSahz, Unregistered28435075, LinuxUser and 2 others like this

Sapphire HD 7970, i7 3770, 12gb Kingston HyperX, Asrock B75 Pro3-M, Intel 530 SSD 120gb

ChairmanDrew
  • ChairmanDrew
  • Apprentice

• PipPipPip
  • posts 559

Posted 14 October 2012 - 01:39 PM

Saying this, I'm totally going with the cheapest option of the tier 3 when I figure out what that is :blush:
  • eliongater and jonovw like this

Sapphire HD 7970, i7 3770, 12gb Kingston HyperX, Asrock B75 Pro3-M, Intel 530 SSD 120gb

Unregistered28435075
  • Unregistered28435075
  • Apprentice

• PipPipPip
  • posts 419

Posted 14 October 2012 - 04:44 PM

Saying this, I'm totally going with the cheapest option of the tier 3 when I figure out what that is :blush:

Both of these aren't on my list yet, but are reasonable.

FSP HEXA 500 is a decent power supply. Quality is decent for a budget unit and voltage stability is all right. When stressed to 500W ripple is apparently quite high, but if used in a computer that won't stress the power supply hard then it would be quite good. It's only $53 from AlphaCity.
https://pricespy.co....ct.php?p=881402

Antec VP-450P. Not really a 450W unit, more like 350W. Quality is decent, voltage stability is decent. When stressed hard ripple is high though. $57 from AlphaCity.
https://pricespy.co....ct.php?p=904886

ChairmanDrew
  • ChairmanDrew
  • Apprentice

• PipPipPip
  • posts 559

Posted 14 October 2012 - 05:40 PM

Cheers for that, I was curious about the Hexa. I was also wondering about the ones in your tier 4 list with similar ripple issues, that is if you just go a good 100w more than required will you have plenty of headroom before ripple becomes an issue?
The build I'm putting together will be pretty power light so I'll probably get the Hexa. Shouldn't break the budget too much, being the cheap bastard I am.

Unregistered28435075
  • Unregistered28435075
  • Apprentice

• PipPipPip
  • posts 419

Posted 14 October 2012 - 09:33 PM

Cheers for that, I was curious about the Hexa. I was also wondering about the ones in your tier 4 list with similar ripple issues, that is if you just go a good 100w more than required will you have plenty of headroom before ripple becomes an issue?
The build I'm putting together will be pretty power light so I'll probably get the Hexa. Shouldn't break the budget too much, being the cheap bastard I am.

Yes the ripple should be a lot lower if you are drawing less than the max capacity of the power supply.

The Cooler Master Elite 400 was fine, if you disregard the high ripple in this review.
http://www.hardwares...ly-Review/975/7

Also Aywun Mega Power Eco are made by Huntkey. I know that the 650W is the same as the Huntkey Jumper, which is decent. I don't know for sure how good the 450W version is though.

hodgeman
  • hodgeman

• PipPip
  • posts 104

Posted 15 October 2012 - 12:55 AM

I'd say a comment like this goes against the purpose of the thread.

Hehe, spending crazy amount on the psu is only going to leave you with less for the actual performance parts of a computer, over $100 on a psu is a but much IMO unless its going to be powering a beastly sli system.

My old system was a little fussy with a horrible brand 500w and was only a dual core and 9600gt, multiple hdd's etc.. the main problem i think came from having to use extra molex power splitter cables as had used all the available ones.

Currently running one of the most hated psu's it seems, an Auriga 650w, never had a single issue with it. Powering 4 hdd's +dvd, 4ghz quad core, gtx 460 which needs 2 6pin connectors, 12GB 1600 ram (4+2, 4+2, so it is dual channel), lights fans etc.. I was sceptical about the single psu fan, but it doesnt ever seem to run hot :) Even though my terribly cooled vidcard hits 90c load.

My mate recently bought a full system from somewhere on layby and although the spec of the computer are beast, the power supply is putts and will bluescreen his comp on a cold start (didnt at first)... so he leaves his computer on 24/7.

Store bought machines will always run cheap crap components unless specified, bare min psu, stock intel mobos etc.. nasty

TomSahz
  • TomSahz
  • Master

• PipPipPipPip
  • posts 2,915

Posted 15 October 2012 - 07:57 AM

Hehe, spending crazy amount on the psu is only going to leave you with less for the actual performance parts of a computer, over $100 on a psu is a but much IMO unless its going to be powering a beastly sli system.

This comment leads me to believe you have very little experience with building stable systems properly. The power supply is a key component to any system. Without proper voltage regulation and stable current levels your system can experience all sorts of problems. Not to mention the life of your components can be reduced or even taken out completely if the PSU goes. Its not about the capacity (wattage) its about the build quality. I'd rather spend alot on a good quality 500w unit than pay less for a crappy 650w unit.

My old system was a little fussy with a horrible brand 500w and was only a dual core and 9600gt, multiple hdd's etc.. the main problem i think came from having to use extra molex power splitter cables as had used all the available ones.

So you say not to spend too much on a power supply then outline problems you've had in the past from making that exact mistake?

Currently running one of the most hated psu's it seems, an Auriga 650w, never had a single issue with it. Powering 4 hdd's +dvd, 4ghz quad core, gtx 460 which needs 2 6pin connectors, 12GB 1600 ram (4+2, 4+2, so it is dual channel), lights fans etc.. I was sceptical about the single psu fan, but it doesnt ever seem to run hot :) Even though my terribly cooled vidcard hits 90c load.

Of course you've never had an issue with it. Give it another couple of years and you will though.

My mate recently bought a full system from somewhere on layby and although the spec of the computer are beast, the power supply is putts and will bluescreen his comp on a cold start (didnt at first)... so he leaves his computer on 24/7.

What a huge waste then? Illustrates the typical approach that alot of people take spending up large on GPU/CPU (probably getting power they will never use) and then skimping on the PSU. I don't know how he can live with that. A system that blue screens at all is not stable and that workaround is silly. Just invest in a decent Power supply which you can probably use across multiple builds i.e Corsair HX650 - 7 year warranty and flawless specs.
  • Unregistered28435075, LinuxUser, Unregisteredd11561a2 and 1 other like this

ChairmanDrew
  • ChairmanDrew
  • Apprentice

• PipPipPip
  • posts 559

Posted 15 October 2012 - 08:14 AM

Thanks to hodgeman and TomSahz for post's reinforcing why its best not to skimp and at least get a reliable PSU. It can be hard to bring yourself to spend money on something which is never visibly going to give you a performance boost in the way that say a GPU or CPU will, but nonetheless it is money well spent.
  • TomSahz and LinuxUser like this

LinuxUser
  • LinuxUser
  • PriceSpy

• posts 9,034

Posted 15 October 2012 - 09:21 AM

The off switches are the last things I'd worry about. Would you really be happy with the exact same PSU just because it had a switch (that does nothing for its performance, and costs minimally) on it?

Store bought machines will always run cheap crap components unless specified, bare min psu, stock intel mobos etc.. nasty

He'd be better off spending $150 on a decent PSU and turning it off when appropriate. It'd cost far less in the long run.

There's nothing wrong with "stock Intel mobos".
  • TomSahz and Unregistered28435075 like this

Recommended Power Supplies Recommended review sites Why stores shouldn't be removed RAM voltage

i5 7400, Gigabyte GA-B250M-D3H, 16 GB DDR4, integrated graphics, Adata XPG SX8200 480 GB (NVMe), 3x Kingston SSDNow KC380 120 GB, Corsair MX100 128 GB, Spinpoint F3 1TB HDD, DVD writer, all inside a wood case I built, Dell U2412M 24", U2311H 23" IPS and Philips 150B4 15" monitors, wood-bodied mouse, Dvorak keyboard, openSUSE Tumbleweed, Windows 8.1 Pro in a VB VM inside Linux

I may occasionally give advice regarding (consumer) law, but it is only my opinion based on my reading – I am not a lawyer.

Romans 3:23; 6:23; 5:8; 10:9-10,13

ChairmanDrew
  • ChairmanDrew
  • Apprentice

• PipPipPip
  • posts 559

Posted 15 October 2012 - 11:40 AM

Yes the ripple should be a lot lower if you are drawing less than the max capacity of the power supply.

The Cooler Master Elite 400 was fine, if you disregard the high ripple in this review.
http://www.hardwares...ly-Review/975/7

Would I be fine going with this then? The online calculator recommends 330w with my specs and I'm after a low cost PSU that is only 140mm in length.

LinuxUser
  • LinuxUser
  • PriceSpy

• posts 9,034

Posted 15 October 2012 - 12:52 PM

It should be OK if it suits your needs.

Of course, there is one factor that a reviewer can't test, but rather only make highly educated guesses about: reliability.

Recommended Power Supplies Recommended review sites Why stores shouldn't be removed RAM voltage

i5 7400, Gigabyte GA-B250M-D3H, 16 GB DDR4, integrated graphics, Adata XPG SX8200 480 GB (NVMe), 3x Kingston SSDNow KC380 120 GB, Corsair MX100 128 GB, Spinpoint F3 1TB HDD, DVD writer, all inside a wood case I built, Dell U2412M 24", U2311H 23" IPS and Philips 150B4 15" monitors, wood-bodied mouse, Dvorak keyboard, openSUSE Tumbleweed, Windows 8.1 Pro in a VB VM inside Linux

I may occasionally give advice regarding (consumer) law, but it is only my opinion based on my reading – I am not a lawyer.

Unregistered28435075
  • Unregistered28435075
  • Apprentice

• PipPipPip
  • posts 419

Posted 15 October 2012 - 01:24 PM

Yeah although the Cooler Master Elite can provide the power, the reliability will not be that great.

I would feel that the reliability of the FSP HEXA will be better. The FSP has been recommended before on JonnyGuru.com and Overclock.net for people on very low budgets.
  • LinuxUser likes this

ChairmanDrew
  • ChairmanDrew
  • Apprentice

• PipPipPip
  • posts 559

Posted 15 October 2012 - 03:18 PM

Yeah although the Cooler Master Elite can provide the power, the reliability will not be that great.

I would feel that the reliability of the FSP HEXA will be better. The FSP has been recommended before on JonnyGuru.com and Overclock.net for people on very low budgets.

The deal breaker here is finding an appropriately sized unit for this case that I plan to get. https://pricespy.co....ct.php?p=577481

Although it says supports up to 160mm but 1400mm preferable, from the sounds of this review it would be best to just go for 140mm.
http://www.thinkcomp...-case-review/4/

Unregistered675f1e9d
  • Unregistered675f1e9d
  • Apprentice

• PipPipPip
  • posts 702

Posted 15 October 2012 - 04:42 PM

Chairman just get a prodigy its only like $10-20 more

ChairmanDrew
  • ChairmanDrew
  • Apprentice

• PipPipPip
  • posts 559

Posted 15 October 2012 - 05:16 PM

Chairman just get a prodigy its only like $10-20 more

I'll consider it. I just quite like the look of the qx 2000 and the double decker construction sounds kind of cool.

hodgeman
  • hodgeman

• PipPip
  • posts 104

Posted 16 October 2012 - 08:39 PM

Ive built my own computers from about the last 15 years and the power supply has never been the culprit if my computer is acting odd, apart from it being dead (fans go nothing else) and addon cables which didnt come with the PSU. I also frequent overclocking/benchmarking forums and overclock every bit that can to a stable higher then default clock. Ive had some power supplies say they are running like 11v on the 12v line and yet still never an issue. I fashion my own heatsinks, but have a bad habit of modding things before even testing if they are ok in the first place :P

Tons of ppl ask forums for help with their computer issues and soooo many reply saying oh it must be the PSU, get a better one, then they get a better one and still have the same problem. Motherboards nowadays have lots of power phases / voltage stabilizing.

Ram is usually the reason for computer instability and is also the hardest to fine tune for maximum boost in performance without crashes. Bit OT.

A bought full PC you cant even change components after purchase without voiding warrenty :/ and stock intel mobos give you very little options (bios), thats why i dont like 'em, need dem m0r buttons to press! There is a reason they are usually the cheapest.

There is tons of software for trying to find max o/c / artifacts / unstability etc.. but generally none of these work for sh!t and a lan game with your buds will show if computer is up to the task sooner then anything.

My 650w Auriga has been running for about 3 years now.

Goodluck ChairmanDrew finding a psu to fit your needs, sry for rant.

TomSahz
  • TomSahz
  • Master

• PipPipPipPip
  • posts 2,915

Posted 17 October 2012 - 07:13 AM

Ive built my own computers from about the last 15 years and the power supply has never been the culprit if my computer is acting odd, apart from it being dead (fans go nothing else) and addon cables which didnt come with the PSU. I also frequent overclocking/benchmarking forums and overclock every bit that can to a stable higher then default clock. Ive had some power supplies say they are running like 11v on the 12v line and yet still never an issue. I fashion my own heatsinks, but have a bad habit of modding things before even testing if they are ok in the first place :P

Tons of ppl ask forums for help with their computer issues and soooo many reply saying oh it must be the PSU, get a better one, then they get a better one and still have the same problem. Motherboards nowadays have lots of power phases / voltage stabilizing.

Ram is usually the reason for computer instability and is also the hardest to fine tune for maximum boost in performance without crashes. Bit OT.

A bought full PC you cant even change components after purchase without voiding warrenty :/ and stock intel mobos give you very little options (bios), thats why i dont like 'em, need dem m0r buttons to press! There is a reason they are usually the cheapest.

There is tons of software for trying to find max o/c / artifacts / unstability etc.. but generally none of these work for sh!t and a lan game with your buds will show if computer is up to the task sooner then anything.

I find your approach to computers a little strange. This thread is aimed at people looking to find a list of tried and tested units. You'll find that most members never recommend an over the top expensive or high capacity unit. I guess we'll just agree to disagree about how important power supplies are.
  • Unregistered28435075, LinuxUser and Unregisteredd11561a2 like this

LinuxUser
  • LinuxUser
  • PriceSpy

• posts 9,034

Posted 17 October 2012 - 07:20 AM

There's plenty of times I've seen on forums where the PSU has been replaced and it has fixed the problem too.

And voltage regulators don't completely solve the problem, because there are a number of parts that are run directly off the PSU voltage. For instance, if you have very bad power it can kill your HDD, or at least the data on it.

And when a PSU fails, especially cheap ones, they can damage other parts – nothing will survive if the transformer shorts or if the feedback mechanism fails, either of which could (especially in cheap supplies) result in 300 V on all output lines (other than ground, obviously). It could happen. I'd sooner pay more for the PSU in the first place and never have a problem rather than have that sort of risk.

Edited by LinuxUser, 25 October 2012 - 08:50 AM.
Stupid PSU/CPU mixup

• TomSahz, Unregistered28435075, Unregisteredd11561a2 and 1 other like this

eliongater
  • eliongater
  • Veteran

• PipPipPipPip
  • posts 2,181

Posted 24 October 2012 - 07:54 PM

What rating would the ocz zt psu be?
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817341051
Steam Battlelog Raptr 404 So many Pixels so little Time: i5-3570k | Maximus V Gene | Sapphire 7950 Vapor-X | 8gb samsung | QNIX QX2710

Tom's DinDin Place™.

damnwebsite
  • damnwebsite
  • Apprentice

• PipPipPip
  • posts 294

Posted 24 October 2012 - 08:42 PM

What rating would the ocz zt psu be?
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817341051

tier 2 is my 2cents, leaning towards tier 3 though

eliongater
  • eliongater
  • Veteran

• PipPipPipPip
  • posts 2,181

Posted 31 October 2012 - 07:58 PM

any idea what rank evga's psu will be?
http://www.evga.com/...ies&chipset=PSU
Steam Battlelog Raptr 404 So many Pixels so little Time: i5-3570k | Maximus V Gene | Sapphire 7950 Vapor-X | 8gb samsung | QNIX QX2710

Tom's DinDin Place™.

Unregistered675f1e9d
  • Unregistered675f1e9d
  • Apprentice

• PipPipPip
  • posts 702

Posted 01 November 2012 - 06:12 AM

Depends who the oem is , you would want to find that out
  • Unregisteredd11561a2 likes this

eliongater
  • eliongater
  • Veteran

• PipPipPipPip
  • posts 2,181

Posted 01 November 2012 - 06:26 AM

Depends who the oem is you would want to find that out

Did some digging and i think they might be fsp

Tom's DinDin Place™.

LinuxUser
  • LinuxUser
  • PriceSpy

• posts 9,034

Posted 01 November 2012 - 08:06 AM

They'll probably be at least OK.

Unregisteredd11561a2
  • Unregisteredd11561a2
  • Master

• PipPipPipPip
  • posts 3,298

Posted 01 November 2012 - 01:15 PM

The OEM for the eVGA Supernova PSUs seem to be a heavily modified Etasis design... Supposedly a good PSU, however a source mentioned that he was only of two knowledgeable about PSUs, he has since left eVGA (due to a disagreement with senior management) and the other is now working in Taiwan for eVGA. So I would say these are good units, but the proceeding units might not be very good...
  • LinuxUser likes this

Unregistered28435075
  • Unregistered28435075
  • Apprentice

• PipPipPip
  • posts 419

Posted 01 November 2012 - 03:09 PM

OCZ ZT probably a tier 2.

EVGA Supernova 1500 tier 2, OEM Etasis.
The other EVGA ones are FSP designed, but modified so unsure how good they will be.
  • LinuxUser likes this

jeidamani
  • jeidamani
  • Wannabe

• Pip
  • posts 36

Posted 28 November 2012 - 04:42 PM

Okay darn.
So i wasnt aware of this thread, and have just purchased a Aywun Mega Power Elite - The 750w version.
Ref: http://www.aywun.com...ails.asp?ID=137
This PSU is listed on this thread as being Tier 4.

So the problem that was mentioned for this model - *Rated at peak power* - Im not too sure what that means in terms of bad news. Will it explode if kept at peak power or something?

According to RealHardTechX's PSU Requirement page, i only need a 575 Watt PSU
Ref: http://www.realhardt...vos/Page362.htm

And according to the eXtreme Power Supply Calculator, my build only requires 366 Watt's
Ref: http://extreme.outer...n.com/PSUEngine

Is it possible that, because my power requirements are so much lower than the max 750w capacity of my PSU, that it shouldnt be a problem?

Any replies would be much appreciated; I just got confirmation my new case arrived & im a bit nervous installing the PSU now :S

Thanks guys

JeigaAlpha Desktop Build:

SCR: 27" 1080p + 32" 1080p TV - Case: Silverstone FTZ01 - M/B: ASRock Z77E-ITX - CPU: i5 3570K - Cooler: Cryorig C7 - GPU: Sapphire R9 290 4GB - RAM: 2x8GB 1866Mhz DDR3 - SSD: 120GB + 60GB - HDD: 2TB - ODD: LG Bluray/DVD - KB: Logitech G110 - Mouse: Razer Imperator - Controllers: Xbox 360 Wireless & Hori Tekken 6 Fight Stick Wireless - H/Set: Plantronics BackBeat PRO - Tablet: Wacom Bamboo Fun - OS: Windows 10 64bit

LinuxUser
  • LinuxUser
  • PriceSpy

• posts 9,034

Posted 28 November 2012 - 05:10 PM

It simply means that it is rated for a short-duration spike up to 750 W, rather than rated at that for continuous power. Its actual power rating is more like 650 W – 700 W, which is plenty. It'll probably do the job OK, but personally I wouldn't want a tier 4 PSU. However, you may prefer to just stick with it, and I doubt you'll have a problem.

Edited by LinuxUser, 28 November 2012 - 05:10 PM.

• Unregistered28435075 likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users