When did the "new" website happen? What a useless pile of crap&#

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

Vladimir81
  • Vladimir81
  • Rookie

• posts 3

Posted 15 July 2018 - 10:35 AM

Just jumped on Pricespy for the first time in a while, and thought it would be the last time ever after seeing the new layout!

Only 2 columns:  Product description, and price.  What were they thinking???!!

Fortunately before I removed Pricespy from my bookmarks, I found the link to the "old Pricespy".  Hopefully this isn't just a temporary thing though while people get used to the new layout?

Tried to find out info on it but was surprised to see noone else complaining about it?!

• benhanna, hajlubbe and samsamsam like this

tbonesteak
  • tbonesteak
  • Apprentice

• PipPipPip
  • posts 328

Posted 15 July 2018 - 02:42 PM

I agree, the new menu up the top looks horrid. It's missing so many of the key features of why people used the site in the first place.

Can't make product lists, can't see forum activity, navigation menu looks like something from the early 2000s, the search bar is off centre, daily deals looks extremely out of  place.

It's bizarre to me that they'd release a new design without adding all the features, always thought that was a big NO-NO for web development.

• LinuxUser likes this

i7 7700k Delid @ 5ghz | GTX 1070 | 16gb DDR4 2400 | Gigabyte Z270-HD3 | 250gb Samsung M.2 | OCZ ZX 850W | Be Quiet! Dark Base Pro 900 | BenQ 24'' 144hz + BenQ 24'' 4k

TomSahz
  • TomSahz
  • Master

• PipPipPipPip
  • posts 2,893

Posted 15 July 2018 - 06:22 PM

I wouldn't worry too much. They probably released it as we see it now to get feedback on what people would like to change.

I agree with above.

Categories should be listed under the search bar

Forum activity should be listed somewhere

Product lists should be more obvious, not just linked under your user tile

Should be able to sort by other things like release year rather than having it only as a filter

Would be nice to be able to list all results on one page rather than having to go through different pages

Any word from PS about the dev process? Will feedback be incorporated?

Edited by TomSahz, 15 July 2018 - 06:23 PM.

• LinuxUser likes this

LinuxUser
  • LinuxUser
  • PriceSpy

• posts 8,943

Posted 16 July 2018 - 10:04 AM

It changed over to the new about the beginning of the month. I too am surprised it took this long for anyone to post about it!

I'm pretty sure having the old one available is a temporary thing, but the new one is nowhere near finished. I'm guessing the old one should be around until the new is at least mostly finished.

I do find it surprising that it is the default already, and not just readily available as a beta. The latter is roughly the process used when the really old site was replaced with the older version of the old site (for those of us that remember). But as Tom says, it is probably to get feedback on the design.

On the 5th I submitted feedback on the site via the "Feedback" tab on the right, and got a reply saying it was appreciated and would be passed on to the developers. It also acknowledged that the new site is a "work in progress". So I would suggest that feedback, if reasonable and in line with what they're trying to do, will be incorporated.

Just to compare / add to the lists above, I mentioned the following (in rough order of priority):

Comparing products / more product feature columns

Sorting options, particularly sorting by lowest price in stock

Seeing the three cheapest stores in the category listing without going to the product, also the number of stores listing a product

Forum access

Product lists

I didn't really get into appearance / formatting sorts of details.

Recommended Power Supplies Recommended review sites Why stores shouldn't be removed RAM voltage

i5 7400, Gigabyte GA-B250M-D3H, 16 GB DDR4, integrated graphics, Adata XPG SX8200 480 GB (NVMe), 3x Kingston SSDNow KC380 120 GB, Corsair MX100 128 GB, Spinpoint F3 1TB HDD, DVD writer, all inside a wood case I built, Dell U2412M 24", U2311H 23" IPS and Philips 150B4 15" monitors, wood-bodied mouse, Dvorak keyboard, openSUSE Tumbleweed, Windows 8.1 Pro in a VB VM inside Linux

I may occasionally give advice regarding (consumer) law, but it is only my opinion based on my reading – I am not a lawyer.

Romans 3:23; 6:23; 5:8; 10:9-10,13

Vladimir81
  • Vladimir81
  • Rookie

• posts 3

Posted 16 July 2018 - 01:04 PM

All I can say is "If it it ain't broke....."!!

The "old" website was/is great and did everything I wanted it to do. I do hope they don't get rid of it if this new work in progress is a sign of the direction they are heading.

Edited by Vladimir81, 16 July 2018 - 05:08 PM.

TomSahz
  • TomSahz
  • Master

• PipPipPipPip
  • posts 2,893

Posted 16 July 2018 - 03:28 PM

All I can say is "If it it ain't broke....."!!

The "old" website was/is great and did everything I wanted it to do. I do hope they don't get rid of it this new work in progress is a sign of the direction they are heading.

People said exactly the same thing when the current owners bought it from the Australian owner years and years ago. I was a vocal critic too. But eventually the new site became way better and they incorporated lots of user feedback.

• LinuxUser likes this

LinuxUser
  • LinuxUser
  • PriceSpy

• posts 8,943

Posted 16 July 2018 - 09:58 PM

I agree with Tom. There are a few things they won't do (specifying which store(s) to sort by comes to mind – however this is not the topic to discuss that), but other than that they generally seem pretty open to sensible / useful feedback.

• TomSahz likes this

Recommended Power Supplies Recommended review sites Why stores shouldn't be removed RAM voltage

i5 7400, Gigabyte GA-B250M-D3H, 16 GB DDR4, integrated graphics, Adata XPG SX8200 480 GB (NVMe), 3x Kingston SSDNow KC380 120 GB, Corsair MX100 128 GB, Spinpoint F3 1TB HDD, DVD writer, all inside a wood case I built, Dell U2412M 24", U2311H 23" IPS and Philips 150B4 15" monitors, wood-bodied mouse, Dvorak keyboard, openSUSE Tumbleweed, Windows 8.1 Pro in a VB VM inside Linux

I may occasionally give advice regarding (consumer) law, but it is only my opinion based on my reading – I am not a lawyer.

fehrlund
  • fehrlund
  • Developer

• posts 66

Posted 19 July 2018 - 07:57 PM

Hi guys,

I think we should probably have informed you about this change before it happened, so you knew the reasons we did it this way and let you know that the classic version will be available during the transition - sorry about that.

So, why did we roll out this platform (which is lacking some functionality) instead of using a beta-program? There are a few reasons we felt that this was the best way to go. I wont go into all of them, but one key one is that things are going mobile. We see more and more traffic coming from mobile devices and google is making a hard shift towards mobile - they are going to start indexing the mobile pages rather than the desktop pages. Our current desktop platform is fairly old, and making it responsive would mean a rewrite of the entire front end. Therefore, a few years back, we created a mobile version instead. This worked fine in terms of performance but it was a lot of work to maintain two separate platforms. In the end we realised we would need to create a responsive front end, and modernise the architecture so that we could keep a higher development pace. The reason we are leading with the new platform is that it is responsive, so we get the benefit of it covering both the mobile and desktop versions. We don't have to worry about google switching to mobile index. We also do more testing and measuring on the new platform, we want to benefit from this and it will help us create a better site in the end. But this requires that is in use.
Finally - and most importantly for us here in the forum - we will get stronger feedback. Unfortunately, beta releases don't always deliver as much feedback as you want.

So, features, features, features. Yes, we are missing some ... (some key features for some use cases). I can not give any guarantees for exactly which features will available on the new platform. We will cut some stuff, it might be things you don't even notice or it might be something you think is very important. If it's the latter, then contact us via feedback forms or in the forum. We will always look at it and if a lot of people are requesting the same thing - well of course that will get our attention!

Product details on category pages and more sorting options, this is coming (unless we see some sort of major turn of events)

The classic version will be available at least as long as we feel there is important functionality that is not yet available on the new platform.

I hope this explains our reasoning a little, and that it makes sense :)
Peace

• TomSahz and LinuxUser like this

LinuxUser
  • LinuxUser
  • PriceSpy

• posts 8,943

Posted 19 July 2018 - 09:18 PM

Thanks for all that!

tbonesteak
  • tbonesteak
  • Apprentice

• PipPipPip
  • posts 328

Posted 19 July 2018 - 09:39 PM

Is there any chance you guys could make it so when we choose classic it saves that as our preferred version? Vice Versa when we go back to new version. (Like how old and new reddit work currently.)

i7 7700k Delid @ 5ghz | GTX 1070 | 16gb DDR4 2400 | Gigabyte Z270-HD3 | 250gb Samsung M.2 | OCZ ZX 850W | Be Quiet! Dark Base Pro 900 | BenQ 24'' 144hz + BenQ 24'' 4k

LinuxUser
  • LinuxUser
  • PriceSpy

• posts 8,943

Posted 20 July 2018 - 10:08 AM

They have different URLs ((www.)pricespy.co.nz vs classic.pricespy.co.nz), so it should be possible without them doing anything.

3dnutta
  • 3dnutta
  • Rookie

• posts 1

Posted 24 July 2018 - 12:30 PM

I have been using this site for at least 15 years and have always used it a lot when purchasing computer gear.

The state of the site in its current form is really bad, there are so many parts of the old site that I relied on, compare items, having lists on the left etc. If it ain't broke don't fix it as others are saying, if the new site will end up with all the functions of the old, or the old still be available I will keep using the site. Thanks for showing the old vs is available!

Ragnor
  • Ragnor
  • Rookie

• posts 6

Posted 25 July 2018 - 02:09 AM

Responsive makes sense but why fixed width breakpoints instead of adaptive or fluid?

On my 2560x1440 27" your content div is fixed with 1010px  :(

Hrafn42
  • Hrafn42
  • Wannabe

• Pip
  • posts 34

Posted 30 July 2018 - 05:31 PM

I hope that in attempting to merge their desktop and mobile versions, they aren't repeating the Windows 8 fiasco -- attempting to force desktop users to accept the limitations of mobile devices. Ragnor's comment on "fixed width breakpoints" seems to indicate that they might be.

I've yet to see a mobile-based product search that is as flexible as the better desktop ones. The only advantage they have is camera-based picture search (which isn't really as big a thing for computer & electronics as it is for say clothing or shoes). For anything else they tend to be massively inferior to desktop.

Also are desktop and mobile users accessing the site to do the same thing? I could easily see desktop users using it more to do in-depth feature comparisons, versus mobile users using it more to do quick in-store price comparisons.

• oldmanmoz, LinuxUser and Vladimir81 like this

Vladimir81
  • Vladimir81
  • Rookie

• posts 3

Posted 30 July 2018 - 10:13 PM

Also are desktop and mobile users accessing the site to do the same thing? I could easily see desktop users using it more to do in-depth feature comparisons, versus mobile users using it more to do quick in-store price comparisons.

Very good point!

Ragnor
  • Ragnor
  • Rookie

• posts 6

Posted 31 July 2018 - 01:12 AM

Information density on the new alerts page could do with some work, why so few items... and no paging control, number of pages pr or page indicators.

At least do infinite scroll if you going to only pre render a few items and not do paging.

LinuxUser
  • LinuxUser
  • PriceSpy

• posts 8,943

Posted 31 July 2018 - 08:42 AM

I hope that in attempting to merge their desktop and mobile versions, they aren't repeating the Windows 8 fiasco -- attempting to force desktop users to accept the limitations of mobile devices. Ragnor's comment on "fixed width breakpoints" seems to indicate that they might be.

I wouldn't worry too much at this stage. I'm guessing that'll change. I hope so anyway, because I totally agree with you.

That's very likely. Funny thing, that's pretty much along the lines of what the respective devices can support doing readily!

Information density on the new alerts page could do with some work, why so few items... and no paging control, number of pages pr or page indicators.

At least do infinite scroll if you going to only pre render a few items and not do paging.

My guess is they haven't finished that yet.

mafoo
  • mafoo
  • Rookie

• posts 1

Posted 11 August 2018 - 06:41 PM

Probably been discussed before. But it really is average. Maybe make "old pricespy" default for a bit? I'm all for revamped interfaces if they are good. New is poo in its current form.

LinuxUser
  • LinuxUser
  • PriceSpy

• posts 8,943

Posted 11 August 2018 - 08:02 PM

Merged into existing thread.

I largely agree, although that's mostly due to not-yet-ported features.

fehrlund
  • fehrlund
  • Developer

• posts 66

Posted 16 August 2018 - 09:25 PM

Hey guys, quick update… 

Our latest product update is now live; on category pages desktop users can now choose what details to display in columns and sort by them.

We have a few more category page updates in the works but the feedback from our community is incredibly valuable so please keep it coming! 

I will keep you updated on the bigger changes on the site (but perhaps I'll start a new thread since this thread is now visible on the front page, and it has a ... let's say less than flattering ... title  ;)

• LinuxUser likes this

tbonesteak
  • tbonesteak
  • Apprentice

• PipPipPip
  • posts 328

Posted 17 August 2018 - 01:19 AM

Great changes so far, seems a lot better now.

It’s nice to see forum integration again :)

Side note: going from new site to forums then clicking pricespy logo takes us back to classic site, not biggest deal though.

Edited by tbonesteak, 17 August 2018 - 01:21 AM.

• LinuxUser likes this

Hrafn42
  • Hrafn42
  • Wannabe

• Pip
  • posts 34

Posted 17 August 2018 - 07:24 PM

Our latest product update is now live; on category pages desktop users can now choose what details to display in columns and sort by them

It's an improvement over the previous iteration, but that's a very low bar (given that iteration was, accurately to my mind, described as "a useless pile of crap"). However it is to my mind still inferior to the old site.

Particularly, it makes grossly inefficient use of screen width. On my (27" 4k) screen only half the width is search results (like the old site, it has fixed width, but makes the problem even worse by taking up some of this width for filter options). It also seems to allow a maximum of four columns apart from product description and price. This is a real problem, as filter categories are often sparsely populated, so you frequently have to eyeball them, rather than being able to simply filter for them (particularly as unpopulated category entries get eliminated by any filter on that category).

This very much gives the appearance of a UI dumbed down to fit on mobile screens. May I therefore suggest as a title for the replacement thread: The "new" site: a not-completely-useless piece of crap.

Needless to say, at this rate, I'll continue with the 'classic' site until you drag it out of my cold, dead hands.

CriticalConsumer
  • CriticalConsumer
  • Rookie

• posts 3

Posted 10 September 2018 - 02:53 PM

I fully agree with OP and the moment pricespy drops the Old PriceSpy option I will NEVER visit the site again. The new layout is HORRIBLE and likely designed by a psychopath. DONT'T fix what doesn't need fixing!

Oh, and I utterly LOATHE having a filter on the side of the screen. It makes you scroll like a maniac to see your search options. The filter on the top of the screen is the ONLY good place to have it.

And how can I compare stuff with the new site? I CAN'T. It's about THE MOST IMPORTANT feature of pricespy. Being able to compare and base purchase decisions on that. It's absolutely insane what pricespy is doing. What happened to the Titanic will be nothing compared to where pricespy is headed.

TheExiledNinja
  • TheExiledNinja
  • Rookie

• posts 2

Posted 16 September 2018 - 01:37 PM

New design is is a steaming pile of crap created by idiots.

sTkz1NU.jpg

9b01d02e902524ca9a3741026d075cd4
  • 9b01d02e902524ca9a3741026d075cd4
  • Rookie

• posts 3

Posted 03 December 2018 - 05:13 AM

A great feature to have would be to check filters/features on a product search and then save it as an alert, you could then set a price amount. Then whenever any of the products price goes lower than that you will be alerted.

Edited by 9b01d02e902524ca9a3741026d075cd4, 03 December 2018 - 05:14 AM.

LinuxUser
  • LinuxUser
  • PriceSpy

• posts 8,943

Posted 03 December 2018 - 10:58 AM

As far as I know, that used to be available. It probably still is on the old site. Alerts are probably still very much a work in progress on the new site, so it's probably on the way.

• 9b01d02e902524ca9a3741026d075cd4 likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users