MacBook battery replacement and trackpad problem

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

LinuxUser
  • LinuxUser
  • PriceSpy

• posts 8,979

Posted 14 December 2018 - 07:37 AM

I've got a 2012 Retina MacBook Pro, which has two problems: a battery that might last 20 minutes if you're doing nothing much, and a trackpad that sometimes doesn't respond.

I bought it second-hand for Mac software development purposes, but it's finding other uses too. It was sold as having a fault with the screen intermittently flickering black, sometimes enough to make it unusable, which I don't think I've ever seen. Because of the fault it was going cheap – otherwise I would have bought something with rather lower specs. But I've found these two problems with it (I didn't realise at the time that the battery was quite that bad), and while I don't mind the battery problem, I strongly object to the trackpad problem...

With regards to the trackpad problem, I have read that the battery could be responsible if it is swelling or similar. I will note that the problem only seems to appear when it is fully charged, and particularly after it has been fully charged and plugged in for a while. So I'm thinking this is likely, but I'd like any thoughts on this.

With regards to the battery, I know about the difficulties of getting out the existing thoroughly-glued-in battery, but I'm willing to attempt it. I'd like a better battery life, but don't need it. And if it fixes the trackpad, then it is essential. And any other problem with the trackpad would require removing it anyway, so it might as well be replaced. The question here is, does anyone have any recommendations for getting a replacement?

Recommended Power Supplies Recommended review sites Why stores shouldn't be removed RAM voltage

i5 7400, Gigabyte GA-B250M-D3H, 16 GB DDR4, integrated graphics, Adata XPG SX8200 480 GB (NVMe), 3x Kingston SSDNow KC380 120 GB, Corsair MX100 128 GB, Spinpoint F3 1TB HDD, DVD writer, all inside a wood case I built, Dell U2412M 24", U2311H 23" IPS and Philips 150B4 15" monitors, wood-bodied mouse, Dvorak keyboard, openSUSE Tumbleweed, Windows 8.1 Pro in a VB VM inside Linux

I may occasionally give advice regarding (consumer) law, but it is only my opinion based on my reading – I am not a lawyer.

Romans 3:23; 6:23; 5:8; 10:9-10,13

Republican
  • Republican
  • Apprentice

• PipPipPip
  • posts 314

Posted 16 December 2018 - 10:51 PM

macbook 13"?

does the bottom cover have dents or has been pushed in?.

i would open it up and disconnect the battery connector,boot it and see if anything improves also check the battery appearance, trackpad and display connection, then reinsert the display connection, check the board for any damage.

memtest86 the ram too since they are soldered.

maybe after a while apply new thermal paste.

i think the trackpad cable runs underneath the battery connector so it could be related.

the ribbon cables are quite weak and can damage easily so keep that in mind.

if the trackpad works then it shouldn't need replacing.

these MacBooks can run ridiculously hot reaching 90c and the fan curve is bad by default, get a program called macs fan control and change it.

then watch louis rossmann videos on youtube to see if you can solve some of your issues.

LinuxUser
  • LinuxUser
  • PriceSpy

• posts 8,979

Posted 17 December 2018 - 07:46 AM

Sorry for missing that out – it's 15".

The bottom cover is screwed on.

Good suggestions thank you, I'll look into all that.

Edit: Sorry, completely missed what the question meant... There are no dents in the bottom or anything that I can see.

Recommended Power Supplies Recommended review sites Why stores shouldn't be removed RAM voltage

i5 7400, Gigabyte GA-B250M-D3H, 16 GB DDR4, integrated graphics, Adata XPG SX8200 480 GB (NVMe), 3x Kingston SSDNow KC380 120 GB, Corsair MX100 128 GB, Spinpoint F3 1TB HDD, DVD writer, all inside a wood case I built, Dell U2412M 24", U2311H 23" IPS and Philips 150B4 15" monitors, wood-bodied mouse, Dvorak keyboard, openSUSE Tumbleweed, Windows 8.1 Pro in a VB VM inside Linux

I may occasionally give advice regarding (consumer) law, but it is only my opinion based on my reading – I am not a lawyer.

LinuxUser
  • LinuxUser
  • PriceSpy

• posts 8,979

Posted 17 December 2018 - 03:02 PM

The trackpad works well – most of the time. One of the middle cells of the battery appears to have a bulge on the top (when viewed from underneath) at one side, almost directly above the trackpad cable. I'm not sure how bad it is, but I'm sure it isn't meant to be there...

Just for fun, a few minutes ago I had it running on battery, and gave it a bit of load. The battery was at about 98%. After a few seconds it dropped to 41% (without showing anything in between), and then almost immediately went to sleep due to low battery. I plugged it in, and after it woke up it was showing 91%.

Republican
  • Republican
  • Apprentice

• PipPipPip
  • posts 314

Posted 18 December 2018 - 05:58 PM

apple had a free battery replacement a while back,i would check around and find out. 
when i had a retina mid 2013 in 2017 (Warranty expired) they had a free service for #staingate and Oobe newmarket provided the replacement.

an app called coconutbattery can give you information about the battery https://www.coconut-...coconutbattery/

or Apple logo in the menu bar/Select About this Mac/System Report/Power/Health section. - battery should have 1000 cycles before dying.

there is a place in onehunga,auckland where you can buy apple parts called techbarn ltd,possbily ask to keep an eye for another retina 2012 for parts, i was there last week and it was a gold mine for laptops.

if all else fails i would remove that battery before it damages the device.

LinuxUser
  • LinuxUser
  • PriceSpy

• posts 8,979

Posted 19 December 2018 - 11:20 AM

They don't seem to have any relevant battery replacement thing going right now. Anyhow, the battery is over 1200 cycles (claiming a capacity of only about 4500 mAh) so it would seem it's just old and not actually faulty.

The concern I have with using genuine batteries (either purchased or pulled from another device) is that they've potentially got a high cycle count, and are probably old. But are non-Apple batteries worth considering?

I will definitely remove the existing battery as you say. It's not exactly doing anything useful there, and could definitely do damage as you say...

Republican
  • Republican
  • Apprentice

• PipPipPip
  • posts 314

Posted 21 December 2018 - 09:58 PM

I don't know much about 3rd party batteries but i try to avoid them for safety reasons, just like buying a power supply for a desktop

i have purchased from this company before for something else.

https://www.trademe....60c820f9aa61491

if i was to buy a battery with or without warranty, i wouldn't use the adhesive yet and just put some tape to hold it in place and use it for like 3-4 months so if it did fail you won't have the hassle of prying it off and risk damaging.

LinuxUser
  • LinuxUser
  • PriceSpy

• posts 8,979

Posted 22 December 2018 - 04:20 PM

I don't know much about 3rd party batteries but i try to avoid them for safety reasons, just like buying a power supply for a desktop

I can understand that. However most of the time it's either that (including counterfeits being sold as genuine), to get a device serviced by the manufacturer (expensive), or a second-hand battery (which is already well on the way to worn out)...

if i was to buy a battery with or without warranty, i wouldn't use the adhesive yet and just put some tape to hold it in place and use it for like 3-4 months so if it did fail you won't have the hassle of prying it off and risk damaging.

Good point.

I have removed the old battery. What looked like it might have been a bulge seems to have a corresponding dip on the opposite side, so I'm guessing it's probably just a bend. The trackpad is still not quite right, although it doesn't seem anywhere near as bad, so I'll check out that a little further.

Edit: I removed the plate over the bottom of the trackpad, and then removed the trackpad cable. Everything looks OK. Put it back, and in a quick check it seems like it might be working better. However, earlier (straight after removing the battery) I noticed that the right ~1 cm of it doesn't work properly, and that hasn't changed. I'm OK with that (it's no worse for usability than the bottom ~1 cm not working, which is apparently by design!), but can't help but wonder if they're both the same problem showing up in different ways.

Edited by LinuxUser, 22 December 2018 - 05:54 PM.

LinuxUser
  • LinuxUser
  • PriceSpy

• posts 8,979

Posted 26 December 2018 - 03:04 PM

Hmm, the trackpad problem is still present. I'm thinking I'll replace it – they're about $30 on AliExpress. I'm guessing the problem is on the analog side of things (otherwise why the issue that only affects the right side, and why intermittent), but that doesn't help much. At least now that I've noticed the issue with the right side I can understand the issue with right-click where it was left-clicking if I had my finger right near the corner!

LinuxUser
  • LinuxUser
  • PriceSpy

• posts 8,979

Posted 14 January 2019 - 07:55 AM

Just got and installed the new trackpad. So far, it is working fine. And even better, the area at the bottom that is apparently not supposed to respond is basically non-existent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users