199 replies to this topic

TomSahz
  • TomSahz
  • Master

• PipPipPipPip
  • posts 2,904

Posted 08 October 2010 - 05:50 PM

Hello everyone,

I am a long time user of the site and a recently appointed moderator. I want the users of the forum to be able to communicate with the administrators of Pricespy about the development of the site. Even though items discussed in this thread are not guaranteed to become features, the development team will read this thread frequently to hear your proposals and wishes for the future of Pricespy.

This thread will be a place to request new functionality, new features and to discuss these ideas and build upon them :P

So what type of new functionality would YOU like to see? Please contribute any ideas you have relevent to the site :)

Cheers

LinuxUser
  • LinuxUser
  • PriceSpy

• posts 9,006

Posted 09 October 2010 - 07:33 AM

For things like the "Help" and "Report" tab, it may be a better idea to use (in the CSS style) "position: fixed;" rather than using "position: absolute;" with Javascript to adjust their position.

Also, the filters are rather slow in Konqueror (prob. poor Javascript support) and not brilliant in IE 7. (But they are very good in Firefox.)

Edited by LinuxUser, 11 October 2010 - 12:58 PM.

Recommended Power Supplies Recommended review sites Why stores shouldn't be removed RAM voltage

i5 7400, Gigabyte GA-B250M-D3H, 16 GB DDR4, integrated graphics, Adata XPG SX8200 480 GB (NVMe), 3x Kingston SSDNow KC380 120 GB, Corsair MX100 128 GB, Spinpoint F3 1TB HDD, DVD writer, all inside a wood case I built, Dell U2412M 24", U2311H 23" IPS and Philips 150B4 15" monitors, wood-bodied mouse, Dvorak keyboard, openSUSE Tumbleweed, Windows 8.1 Pro in a VB VM inside Linux

I may occasionally give advice regarding (consumer) law, but it is only my opinion based on my reading – I am not a lawyer.

Romans 3:23; 6:23; 5:8; 10:9-10,13

livus
  • livus
  • Rookie

• posts 9

Posted 09 October 2010 - 08:15 PM

I would really like the option to filter out retailers we don't want to deal with when performing a general search.

This would for example enable me to factor out stores whose prices have a distorting effect (i.e are way lower than anyone else's) and who I don't want to buy from due to their shipping practices.
  • Edwood and coleadve like this

TomSahz
  • TomSahz
  • Master

• PipPipPipPip
  • posts 2,904

Posted 10 October 2010 - 11:15 AM

I would really like the option to filter out retailers we don't want to deal with when performing a general search.

This would for example enable me to factor out stores whose prices have a distorting effect (i.e are way lower than anyone else's) and who I don't want to buy from due to their shipping practices.

Hello livus!

There is currently discussion among the Admins about the possibility of implementing a feature which would give the user more control over what they see. However, blacklisting or removing stores from searches will probably not be happening. Instead, the idea is that you can 'favourite' certain stores which show up as the lowest price in your product lists for your items. The idea is detailed in this thread here. Check it out and see what you think.

Cheers

LinuxUser
  • LinuxUser
  • PriceSpy

• posts 9,006

Posted 11 October 2010 - 08:01 AM

I think reviews from the "Customer in online store" should not be included as it is impossible to moderate them properly because you have no information to prove that it isn't just the store posting them, and any info you do have is supplied by the store, and is therefore unreliable.

Edit: On the "Expert" Infotec site, I cannot find any way to submit a review like shows up on here, even when I looked at the sitemap (/shop/sitemap.php). For those wanting to object about the negative reviews from the "customer in online store", if EI can make fake positive reviews, they can make a few negative reviews so (hopefully) no one questions the possibility of actually creating a review. Also, if reviews were submitted on their site, they could easily control what ones ever got to Pricespy anyway.

Edited by LinuxUser, 11 October 2010 - 12:56 PM.

Recommended Power Supplies Recommended review sites Why stores shouldn't be removed RAM voltage

i5 7400, Gigabyte GA-B250M-D3H, 16 GB DDR4, integrated graphics, Adata XPG SX8200 480 GB (NVMe), 3x Kingston SSDNow KC380 120 GB, Corsair MX100 128 GB, Spinpoint F3 1TB HDD, DVD writer, all inside a wood case I built, Dell U2412M 24", U2311H 23" IPS and Philips 150B4 15" monitors, wood-bodied mouse, Dvorak keyboard, openSUSE Tumbleweed, Windows 8.1 Pro in a VB VM inside Linux

I may occasionally give advice regarding (consumer) law, but it is only my opinion based on my reading – I am not a lawyer.

aquilatech
  • aquilatech
  • Rookie

• posts 1

Posted 11 October 2010 - 01:00 PM

Displaying the manufacturers part number with each item would be helpful.

johanneshenrysson
  • johanneshenrysson

• posts 232

Posted 11 October 2010 - 08:58 PM

I think reviews from the "Customer in online store" should not be included as it is impossible to moderate them properly because you have no information to prove that it isn't just the store posting them, and any info you do have is supplied by the store, and is therefore unreliable.

Edit: On the "Expert" Infotec site, I cannot find any way to submit a review like shows up on here, even when I looked at the sitemap (/shop/sitemap.php). For those wanting to object about the negative reviews from the "customer in online store", if EI can make fake positive reviews, they can make a few negative reviews so (hopefully) no one questions the possibility of actually creating a review. Also, if reviews were submitted on their site, they could easily control what ones ever got to Pricespy anyway.

Reviews from "Customer in online store" means that when you put an order, you get an oppertunity to fill a form. Then after a while (a couple of days) you get a second form* (send to your email). After both forms are completed your review is visible on PriceSpy.

So you don't have to be a registered member on PriceSpy to create a review, but that is pretty much the only difference.

* The idea is that you complete the review after you have received your order.

Edited by johanneshenrysson, 11 October 2010 - 08:59 PM.

livus
  • livus
  • Rookie

• posts 9

Posted 12 October 2010 - 04:48 PM

The idea is detailed in this thread here. Check it out and see what you think.

Hi Tom Sahz,

Frankly the favourite system would be annoying as it would entail me having to favourite every single store except the single one with the distortionary prices. Then I would have to continually watch and add all new stores.

I'm not sure why you are reluctant to allow filtering out - which others wouldn't see - unless it wpould affect some sort of deal you already have with your linked stores?

If so, this is a real pity. Also, there have been a few complaints about the ethics of continuing to list some sites - the one I'm trying to avoid is Electron World, for instance - and this would be one way of lessening the annoyance of those inclusions.
  • Edwood likes this

TomSahz
  • TomSahz
  • Master

• PipPipPipPip
  • posts 2,904

Posted 12 October 2010 - 05:12 PM

Hi Tom Sahz,

Frankly the favourite system would be annoying as it would entail me having to favourite every single store except the single one with the distortionary prices. Then I would have to continually watch and add all new stores.

I'm not sure why you are reluctant to allow filtering out - which others wouldn't see - unless it wpould affect some sort of deal you already have with your linked stores?

If so, this is a real pity. Also, there have been a few complaints about the ethics of continuing to list some sites - the one I'm trying to avoid is Electron World, for instance - and this would be one way of lessening the annoyance of those inclusions.

Hi livus,

Discussions with the pricespy team have made it clear to me that excluding stores is not possible for several reasons.

First of all it goes against the site philosophy which is to include every store relevent in order to give the consumer the complete picture and as much choice as possible. Favouriting is a way in which the site philosophy can be maintained while giving users more functionality and options.

Secondly, there is the possibility of abuse with excluding stores. If people are able to exclude stores from their product list prices, then stores have an incentive to make others look bad in order to remove the competition. Such is the ugly reality of a highly competitive market. The favouriting system does not encourage abuse of this sort or of any sort as far as i can see.

Try to think of favouriting as more of a selective process of choosing a bunch of great stores, rather than just filtering out a couple of stores. If there are only a couple of stores that you want to ignore, then perhaps you could favourite the stores that compete with them most often. You'll often find that prices for most products form a hierarchy with the same stores in their places for many different products. I think it makes more sense to develop relationships with a few good stores that you know have great service and are well priced rather than looking for the lowest price every time and possibly regretting it later. This approach has definitely worked well for me.

As far as the ethics of listing certain stores, I too am aware of several stores with suspicious practises and will be bringing the topic up with the Pricespy team when i speak to them next. We have to keep in mind that there are only a couple of stores ruining it for the vast majority, but i will endeavour to get an answer for you on the points you have raised.

Cheers

Edited by TomSahz, 12 October 2010 - 05:14 PM.

livus
  • livus
  • Rookie

• posts 9

Posted 14 October 2010 - 03:23 PM

Hi TomSahz

nice to have someone listen to my gripes even though I'm clearly not going to get my own way on this.

First of all it goes against the site philosophy which is to include every store relevent in order to give the consumer the complete picture and as much choice as possible. Favouriting is a way in which the site philosophy can be maintained while giving users more functionality and options.

Secondly, there is the possibility of abuse with excluding stores. If people are able to exclude stores from their product list prices, then stores have an incentive to make others look bad in order to remove the competition. Such is the ugly reality of a highly competitive market. The favouriting system does not encourage abuse of this sort or of any sort as far as i can see.

I find these reasons a little odd.... I notice the (very useful) beta of stores close to user location seems to have gone - I guess this didn't fit with the "pricespy philosophy" too?

I have to admit, as someone with an ongoing dislike of the new interface I am quite ready to believe that the site philosophy really is to force in as much extraneous detail as possible whether it is useful to the individual user or not. :angry:

I believe the incentives you describe in the second reason are already in place. This site is riddled with review functions, ranking etc - it's inherent in the new pricespy design. If a user perception is that a store is dodgy, appearance in searches isn't going to change that.

But, I think maybe you have misunderstood my request - I should have put it better. I'm only interested in filtering out stores temporarily as part of specific searches.

Temporary exclusions wouldn't impact on my general experience of pricespy, it would just allow me to get a quick n dirty overview, of, say, which are the cheapest 3g touchscreen mobiles with A-GPS across the range, etc. Which is what I've done this week, only with a lot of unnecessary mouse-overs trying to track down the "real" lowest prices thanks to distortion from one annoying store.

To my mind this kind of functionality would be one of the things that new pricespy could do well.

I get what you're saying about favourites but I'm personally not interested in a "favourites" functionality as I already have all my preferred suppliers bookmarked and am pretty familiar with what they're up to - I bet most people have some idea of this - it's for the unknown options that something like a comparison site is useful, not the tried and true. I see how your technique could work but I wanted to keep an open mind.

Favouriting/ whitelisting on a permanent basis sounds like a return to the "small pond" of what users already know about, and I think it would be much worse for the majority of vendors.

Ah well, I can see I am not about to get my way here any more than I did with "pricespy lite" toggle.

In a nutshell: if pricespy is determined to force us to see everyone's prices at all times for philosophical reasons, then good for them, but it becomes even more important that there is a careful vetting of those vendors (or the site becomes less valuable). This would cut down on annoyance, therefore this is the second best solution for a user like me, not "favourites". So I'm glad they're seriously looking at issues around inclusion.

/ grumpy old man rant

TomSahz
  • TomSahz
  • Master

• PipPipPipPip
  • posts 2,904

Posted 14 October 2010 - 04:25 PM

I find these reasons a little odd.... I notice the (very useful) beta of stores close to user location seems to have gone - I guess this didn't fit with the "pricespy philosophy" too?

Im not sure i know what you mean. The feature is still there, nothings changed with that.

I believe the incentives you describe in the second reason are already in place. This site is riddled with review functions, ranking etc - it's inherent in the new pricespy design. If a user perception is that a store is dodgy, appearance in searches isn't going to change that.

But stores are not able to manipulate user perception with the favouriting system i described, at least that i can see. The 'favouriting' feature we are talking about here is for prices in product lists, not for global searches. Its a sort of first stage that might be expanded upon depending how it goes.

Temporary exclusions wouldn't impact on my general experience of pricespy, it would just allow me to get a quick n dirty overview, of, say, which are the cheapest 3g touchscreen mobiles with A-GPS across the range, etc. Which is what I've done this week, only with a lot of unnecessary mouse-overs trying to track down the "real" lowest prices thanks to distortion from one annoying store.

To my mind this kind of functionality would be one of the things that new pricespy could do well.

How do you mean temporary exclusions?

I get what you're saying about favourites but I'm personally not interested in a "favourites" functionality as I already have all my preferred suppliers bookmarked and am pretty familiar with what they're up to - I bet most people have some idea of this - it's for the unknown options that something like a comparison site is useful, not the tried and true. I see how your technique could work but I wanted to keep an open mind.

So whats wrong with the idea of favouriting those bookmarked sites so that you can see what their lowest prices are in your product lists? Isnt it a step forward?

Favouriting/ whitelisting on a permanent basis sounds like a return to the "small pond" of what users already know about, and I think it would be much worse for the majority of vendors.

What do you mean by "small pond" of what users want? How would it be much worse for the majority of vendors?

In a nutshell: if pricespy is determined to force us to see everyone's prices at all times for philosophical reasons, then good for them, but it becomes even more important that there is a careful vetting of those vendors (or the site becomes less valuable). This would cut down on annoyance, therefore this is the second best solution for a user like me, not "favourites". So I'm glad they're seriously looking at issues around inclusion.

I agree with you that it is very important to monitor the vendors and make sure they are dealing appropriately. I believe that the review system + favouriting would achieve some level of reliability with regards to finding the best prices from reputable dealers.

Cheers

Edited by TomSahz, 14 October 2010 - 04:27 PM.

johanneshenrysson
  • johanneshenrysson

• posts 232

Posted 14 October 2010 - 06:31 PM

We (PriceSpy) don't want to censor the market, therefore we do not exclude stores because they may be fishy. If we somehow finds out that the store really is fishy, then it's a different story.
This is not because we want to earn a lot of money (to just list a store is free anyway..), but because we believe in "Innocent until proven guilty". We also believe that the store reviews and our forum gives the user a fair chance to see what kind of store it is. Users should know if a store is behaving badly, and then be allowed to make the decision wether to buy or not.
Our job should not be to close stores that we don't like, but to stand outside with signs telling how good or bad the store is.

In some cases we may mark prices from a certain store, due to numerous complaints regarding how the store has been acting. If a store has this mark, their price will not be visible as the ceapest one in categories or in the search result, for instance:
(Please notice that we do not mark prices from a certain store due to how people think that they will be acting.)

You have already been debating regarding favouriting stores, to only include the ones that you like. I think that a feature like that also should have the possibility to exclude stores by not liking them.
Personally I like the idea, and it has been up for debate pretty much forever (in Sweden as well). However there are some issues, mainly performance issues.

Workarounds (kind of)
Yes, there are actually possible workarounds. For instance:
- Calculate lowest price
Put products and/or searches (done with filters) in a personal list, then click "calculate lowest price" in bottom left corner. This function allows you to see cheapest possible. One list for in store and one for cheapest overall disregarding stock status. You can choose to include or exclude stores.
- Price alerts
Choose a product or a search (done with filters) and create a price alert. Here you can choose to either include only stores that you like, or to exclude stores that you do not like. There are also options for how to handle stock status.

I hope this may be of help!

designern
  • designern
  • Rookie

• posts 0

Posted 15 October 2010 - 08:24 AM

For things like the "Help" and "Report" tab, it may be a better idea to use (in the CSS style) "position: fixed;" rather than using "position: absolute;" with Javascript to adjust their position.

We are using "position: fixed" in some browsers, but have chosen not to use it in Firefox for example, where we found that it affected the performance of the scrolling. See this bug report. (I noticed that they say it has just been resolved so we will try to enable position:fixed for Firefox soon.)

Also, the filters are rather slow in Konqueror (prob. poor Javascript support) and not brilliant in IE 7. (But they are very good in Firefox.)

Yes, the filters are using quite heavy javascripts and DOM editing, so they are slow in some browsers. We recommend users of IE7 to upgrade to IE8, and Linux users will as far as I know get the fastest performance in Google Chrome.

TomSahz
  • TomSahz
  • Master

• PipPipPipPip
  • posts 2,904

Posted 15 October 2010 - 12:09 PM

Linux users will as far as I know get the fastest performance in Google Chrome.

Yes i can confirm this. I get pretty good performance in chrome under Ubuntu, firefox is definitely slower for filters.

livus
  • livus
  • Rookie

• posts 9

Posted 17 October 2010 - 03:10 PM

Workarounds (kind of)
Yes, there are actually possible workarounds. For instance:
- Calculate lowest price
Put products and/or searches (done with filters) in a personal list, then click "calculate lowest price" in bottom left corner. This function allows you to see cheapest possible. One list for in store and one for cheapest overall disregarding stock status. You can choose to include or exclude stores.
- Price alerts
Choose a product or a search (done with filters) and create a price alert. Here you can choose to either include only stores that you like, or to exclude stores that you do not like. There are also options for how to handle stock status.

I hope this may be of help!

Thanks - this is helpful.

TomSahz: oops, my bad, I see the location maps are still there.

What do you mean by "small pond" of what users want? How would it be much worse for the majority of vendors?

What I mean is I can't see why blacklisting to exclude a small group of stores is somehow worse than whitelisting to exclude a large group of stores. If anything I'd think it would be the other way round.

DividingByZero
  • DividingByZero

• PipPip
  • posts 185

Posted 21 October 2010 - 12:30 PM

This is perhaps the wrong thread to point this out in but the 3.5" HDDs category only goes up as far as 2TB. I know the newly released 2.5TB and 3TB drives aren't available in NZ yet but hopefully they will be soon and PriceSpy will be ready to categorise them.

johanneshenrysson
  • johanneshenrysson

• posts 232

Posted 21 October 2010 - 08:35 PM

This is perhaps the wrong thread to point this out in but the 3.5" HDDs category only goes up as far as 2TB. I know the newly released 2.5TB and 3TB drives aren't available in NZ yet but hopefully they will be soon and PriceSpy will be ready to categorise them.

First 3TB is here :rolleyes:

JC Ohope
  • JC Ohope
  • Amateur

• PipPip
  • posts 50

Posted 21 October 2010 - 08:49 PM

First 3TB is here :rolleyes:

It may be here, but the "Hard Drive Size" filter only goes up to 2000 GB (and the WD 2.5 & 3 TB drives show up as 'no data' in the size related fields) :blush:

i5-750 @ 2.67Ghz w/Corsair A50 | Gigabyte GA-p55-UD3 | 4GB Corsair XMS3 1600Mhz | Msi GTX 560Ti OC

Crucial M4 128GB | 2 x Samsung Spinpoint 1TB | Corsair HX620w | Fractal Design R3 w/Noctua's

johanneshenrysson
  • johanneshenrysson

• posts 232

Posted 21 October 2010 - 08:56 PM

It may be here, but the "Hard Drive Size" filter only goes up to 2000 GB (and the WD 2.5 & 3 TB drives show up as 'no data' in the size related fields) :blush:

Hm.. that is kind of wierd. Have to check a few things...

EDIT: Doh... there are no product details on the hdd, that's why the filters don't work :rolleyes:
(I'll fix it as soon as possible, probably have to wait for next update though..)
EDIT2: Then again, it would be boring if it was that easy. Well, I'm working on it.

Edited by johanneshenrysson, 21 October 2010 - 09:02 PM.

Mad-Season
  • Mad-Season
  • Amateur

• PipPip
  • posts 87

Posted 29 October 2010 - 01:37 PM

Can we have photo galleries on our profiles for uploading pics of our warez please? ^^
Core I7 920 3.2GHz | Bloodrage GTI x58 | 6GB DDR3 | 3TB/2GB/1GB Seagate Barracuda | XFX HD6850 Dual-fan Edition SLI | Cooler Master V8 | Sony HTM7 Muteki 7.2 HT
Lenovo IdeaPad Y500 | Core I5 3230M 2.6GHz | 6GB DDR3 | Dual GT650M SLI | JBL Speakers

johanneshenrysson
  • johanneshenrysson

• posts 232

Posted 29 October 2010 - 08:40 PM

Can we have photo galleries on our profiles for uploading pics of our warez please? ^^

That's a very good idea. We have been debating it, and we like the it. However I don't know when we will be able to implement it.

SkinyJim
  • SkinyJim
  • Wannabe

• Pip
  • posts 35

Posted 05 November 2010 - 03:50 PM

Here's a fresh idea.

For price lists I'd like to see a button/function that tells me what store sells the most items on my list. For example, I make a list for a computer build. I only want to shop at one site for the build so I'd like to go to the one where I would have to substitute the least parts.

Thoughts/opinions?

johanneshenrysson
  • johanneshenrysson

• posts 232

Posted 05 November 2010 - 07:45 PM

Here's a fresh idea.

For price lists I'd like to see a button/function that tells me what store sells the most items on my list. For example, I make a list for a computer build. I only want to shop at one site for the build so I'd like to go to the one where I would have to substitute the least parts.

Thoughts/opinions?

I think "Price optimization"/"Calculate lowest price" pretty much cover that part?
You get a couple of suggestions, and it usually gives one or two suggestions with one or two stores (provided there is a store with decent pricing that sell all products). Filter on one of these stores to compare.

SkinyJim
  • SkinyJim
  • Wannabe

• Pip
  • posts 35

Posted 07 November 2010 - 11:24 AM

I think "Price optimization"/"Calculate lowest price" pretty much cover that part?
You get a couple of suggestions, and it usually gives one or two suggestions with one or two stores (provided there is a store with decent pricing that sell all products). Filter on one of these stores to compare.

:blush: well now I'm embarrassed

DividingByZero
  • DividingByZero

• PipPip
  • posts 185

Posted 07 November 2010 - 09:28 PM

Could we get post times to display in New Zealand Daylight Saving Time please?
When I make this post it'll display as being from an hour in the future...

LinuxUser
  • LinuxUser
  • PriceSpy

• posts 9,006

Posted 08 November 2010 - 02:25 PM

My Controls->Board Settings->Base time zone. It's not even New Zealand, but is somewhere else with +13:00 and daylight saving as well!

johanneshenrysson
  • johanneshenrysson

• posts 232

Posted 09 November 2010 - 09:27 PM

Same issue here. It is possible to set manually (update your profile), but that's quite annoying... I'll see what we can do.

Ps. Awesome with posts from the future ;)

spiderm0nkey
  • spiderm0nkey
  • Amateur

• PipPip
  • posts 66

Posted 30 November 2010 - 09:39 AM

Just browsing through the power supply section at the moment and have noticed the lack of filters! The two most important ones that I can think of that would be very helpful are:

80+ certification
Modular

The idea of having to hunt through each of the units and work out which ones are modular or not and then which ones are 80+ certified is feeling like a very daunting task for me atm as I go to pick out a nice new PSU haha.

5lay3r666
  • 5lay3r666
  • Apprentice

• PipPipPip
  • posts 255

Posted 30 November 2010 - 10:00 AM

a cold cathode section would be cool as im trying to locate a pink set for my sisters xmas present and finding it difficult. I may have to get white ones with pink film over the top
Core2Extreme QX6700 @ 3.3GHz, 6GB DDR2 (1333MHz), P5Q PRO, GTX275 X2 in SLi, Corsair Force 3 120GB + 2TB WD Green X2 + 1TB Spinpoint F3 +2TB seagate

ArchSerpo
  • ArchSerpo
  • Addicted

• PipPipPipPip
  • posts 1,279

Posted 30 November 2010 - 10:21 AM

spider you could always ask in the forums with your budget and system parts and get advice from everyone else, but i see this way for ease of use. Besides pretty much all newly-released power supplies are 80+ these days.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users