• Please log in to reply
2070 replies to this topic

TomSahz
  • TomSahz
  • Master

• PipPipPipPip
  • posts 2,903

Posted 22 September 2013 - 12:53 PM

A big new section and all this extra recent activity might call for some new mods ;)

We're currently discussing this :)
  • LinuxUser and eliongater like this

Word Of Madness
  • Word Of Madness
  • Veteran

• PipPipPipPip
  • posts 2,186

Posted 22 September 2013 - 01:24 PM

Here's a proposition to get us started on discussing the forum layout.

Have a new forum "Buy, Sell & Trade" in the General section below Stores and General Discussion.

Within the BS&T forum, there will be several subforums to separate different kinds of goods.
Computers and Computer Hardware.
PC Peripherals.
PC Software and PC Games.
Consoles and Console Games.
Other Electronics.
Miscellaneous.

The rules, guidelines, trusted traders, middlemen, etc, should all be global announcements that are sticky and visible in all subforums.
  • TomSahz, LinuxUser, KrazyKap and 1 other like this
|| Big Bear || Viceroy || Viceroy Build Log || Peripherals ||
|| Steam ||
|| My name does not have an "L" in it ||

JoshHunter
  • JoshHunter
  • Master

• PipPipPipPip
  • posts 3,782

Posted 22 September 2013 - 01:34 PM

IMO it doesn't need to be that compartmentalised. PC peripherals could merge with a Computers and Components section, and games could go in the Games and Consoles section. We can use an adaptation of the layout PriceSpy's current root board uses.

Buy, Sell and Trade (root section, things that don't fit into the categories go here)

Computers and Components

Games and Consoles

Audio and HiFi

• TomSahz, LinuxUser, ryanc1256 and 3 others like this

Ralph54
  • Ralph54
  • Apprentice

• PipPipPip
  • posts 305

Posted 22 September 2013 - 01:42 PM

IMO it doesn't need to be that compartmentalised. PC peripherals could merge with a Computers and Components section, and games could go in the Games and Consoles section. We can use an adaptation of the layout PriceSpy's current root board uses.

Buy, Sell and Trade (root section, things that don't fit into the categories go here)

Computers and Components

Games and Consoles

Audio and HiFi

I agree, but maybe make Audio and HiFi into "Other Electronics" (which would fit in cameras and phones), that way we have 3 broadish categories so most things will fit into them, but it still isn't too complicated.
  • LinuxUser and JoshHunter like this

Dave: 4.5Ghz i5 3570k, 8GB G.Skill RAM 1866mhz, 7950, 120GB 840 Series SSD, HX650
Other Stuff: Dell UltraSharp U2312HM, Nexus 5 16GB

Word Of Madness
  • Word Of Madness
  • Veteran

• PipPipPipPip
  • posts 2,186

Posted 22 September 2013 - 01:46 PM

If I'm selling a keyboard, I put it in Computers and Components. And if I'm selling a headset it goes in Audio and HiFi, or is it a peripheral? And hence still goes in Computer and Components. What about a monitor? Do we make it Audio and Video, and put it in there, or does that go in Computers and Components too? Where would I put my copy of Windows 7 or Photoshop?

Basically I wanted to come up with a catch-all system, unfortunately, that does lead to a large about of subforums, but I find having some level of organisation is best. If I'm after motherboards and RAM, I don't want to see a whole bunch of guys selling monitors, headsets and keyboards.

I've tried to condense it down a little:

Audio, Video, and Peripherals.
PC Software and Games.

Everything else gets dumped in the root section.

I don't think 4 categories is excessive. And it pretty much covers everything that I can think of, unless we suddenly get a whole bunch of people wanting to sell cars or something, in which case I guess we go back to the admins and get another section added.

Edit: I missed phones and tablets.
I've put a poll in the OP. If we can get enough people to vote on that, we should have a better idea on what people will want to use this section for, and can perhaps come up with better categories. E.g. if people aren't really interested in buying and selling consoles, they can go in the root section, but if get a lot of budding photographers interested in cameras, then we ought to have a section just for that.
  • TomSahz, LinuxUser, KrazyKap and 1 other like this
|| Steam ||

JoshHunter
  • JoshHunter
  • Master

• PipPipPipPip
  • posts 3,782

Posted 22 September 2013 - 02:10 PM

If I'm selling a keyboard, I put it in Computers and Components. And if I'm selling a headset it goes in Audio and HiFi, or is it a peripheral? And hence still goes in Computer and Components. What about a monitor? Do we make it Audio and Video, and put it in there, or does that go in Computers and Components too? Where would I put my copy of Windows 7 or Photoshop?

Basically I wanted to come up with a catch-all system, unfortunately, that does lead to a large about of subforums, but I find having some level of organisation is best. If I'm after motherboards and RAM, I don't want to see a whole bunch of guys selling monitors, headsets and keyboards.

I've tried to condense it down a little:

Audio, Video, and Peripherals.
PC Software and Games.

Everything else gets dumped in the root section.

I don't think 4 categories is excessive. And it pretty much covers everything that I can think of, unless we suddenly get a whole bunch of people wanting to sell cars or something, in which case I guess we go back to the admins and get another section added.

Edit: I missed phones and tablets.
I've put a poll in the OP. If we can get enough people to vote on that, we should have a better idea on what people will want to use this section for, and can perhaps come up with better categories. E.g. if people aren't really interested in buying and selling consoles, they can go in the root section, but if get a lot of budding photographers interested in cameras, then we ought to have a section just for that.

A headset could go in either, it doesn't matter. A monitor could also go in either. It's not going to be that widely used, it doesn't need to be complicated. I think more discussion needs to be had on the categories.
  • LinuxUser likes this

Word Of Madness
  • Word Of Madness
  • Veteran

• PipPipPipPip
  • posts 2,186

Posted 22 September 2013 - 02:14 PM

I'll give the poll a day or two to run, and just see where we end up with that. The main objective is to work out which things are going to widely used, and make sections for them. Everything else can be grouped together into more general categories, or go in the root forum.
  • tehkhop likes this
|| Steam ||

KrazyKap
  • KrazyKap
  • Veteran

• PipPipPipPip
  • posts 1,602

Posted 22 September 2013 - 02:29 PM

The Linus Tech Tips forum is adding a BST area, according to the latest WAN show, and they use the same forum software I believe, so it might be worth looking in to how they do things.
  • TomSahz, LinuxUser, eliongater and 2 others like this

My Rig: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv | Phanteks PH-TC12DX | i5 4670K | Asus Z97M-Plus | EVGA GTX 970 | 16GB Patriot RAM | Silverstone Strider Plus

Peripherals: AOC 12367Fh + LG Flatron 21.5" | AT-M50X + Samson Go Mic | CM Storm Quick Fire Pro - Cherry MX Red | Roccat Kone Pure

JoshHunter
  • JoshHunter
  • Master

• PipPipPipPip
  • posts 3,782

Posted 22 September 2013 - 03:23 PM

The Linus Tech Tips forum is adding a BST area, according to the latest WAN show, and they use the same forum software I believe, so it might be worth looking in to how they do things.

Good idea.

S0up2up
  • S0up2up
  • Master

• PipPipPipPip
  • posts 3,298

Posted 22 September 2013 - 03:38 PM

And regardless these categories won't be set in stone and your end users would be able to choose where their stuff gets saved. Have the three catagories seems to be logical.

In terms of moderators... Two should still cut it. They are plenty active and still able to handle all the requests asked from them. This forum isn't that big.
  • LinuxUser likes this

Rig: Corsair 350D | i7 4770K | 16gb Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz | 2x Sapphire R9 290X (CrossfireX) | 2x Samsung 840 Pro 256 (Raid 0) | Seasonic Platinum 1000W | Intel AC 7260 Wireless Card.
Cooling: EK Supremacy Full Nickel (Mounted direct die) | EK 290X full block (Acetal/ Nickel) | Acrylic hard tubing | XSPC PWM D5 | Corsair SP120 PWM fans - Quiet Edition | Bitspower C47 fittings
Gadgets: iPhone 6 64Gb

Word Of Madness
  • Word Of Madness
  • Veteran

• PipPipPipPip
  • posts 2,186

Posted 22 September 2013 - 04:12 PM

It sounds like they're implementing a full on classifieds section, with integrated feedback/reputation, and special pages that you create rather than just a thread.
|| Steam ||

Word Of Madness
  • Word Of Madness
  • Veteran

• PipPipPipPip
  • posts 2,186

Posted 22 September 2013 - 04:28 PM

Based on the poll, I'd go with this if you want the fewest categories possible:

PCs and PC Hardware.
PC Peripherals, Games and Software.
Everything else can go in the root forum.

The other thing that needs to be decided is a minimum post count. There should be one, it's just a matter of how high, and whether or not we consider Linux's suggestion of being able to view sales threads with a lower post count, but be unable to create their own threads.
  • JoshHunter likes this
|| Steam ||

Ralph54
  • Ralph54
  • Apprentice

• PipPipPip
  • posts 305

Posted 22 September 2013 - 05:52 PM

For the reputation/trust system, I think we should have it in a thread, and so there are two tiers:

Trusted - Middlemen are not necessary (but can still be used) - The criteria could be something like: 10 good trades, no bad, <100 posts OR 5 good trades, no bad >100 posts (that way people who are just using the BST have to prove themselves.

Not Trusted- Middlemen are highly recommended - Anyone not fitting the criteria above is in this group.

Then, when someone posts an ad to sell something, the rules could require them to post whether they are trusted or not.

Dave: 4.5Ghz i5 3570k, 8GB G.Skill RAM 1866mhz, 7950, 120GB 840 Series SSD, HX650

JoshHunter
  • JoshHunter
  • Master

• PipPipPipPip
  • posts 3,782

Posted 22 September 2013 - 07:00 PM

Verified links to TradeMe accounts could add to user credibility too.

I think the post count to view the BST forum should be 50 posts.
  • TomSahz, LinuxUser, Ralph54 and 1 other like this

ArchSerpo
  • ArchSerpo
  • Addicted

• PipPipPipPip
  • posts 1,279

Posted 22 September 2013 - 07:40 PM

Following GPForums' way of 100 posts to view/post in the BST is a decent method. Except maybe change it to 50 posts. Case in point, fraudsters aren't gonna waste their time collating 50 posts, they'll just go off to some other forum/tardme. Which should mean the only complaints that come from here are just from laziness/forgetfulness/slow shipping.

Just have a verified traders thread like gpforums too. Once you start adding in heatwave/trademe as a requirement it's just getting complicated, although people are of course free to post links to their trademe/other trading history

Also middlemen wouldn't be required, anyone that will have access to it will be a trusted-enough member of the community
  • LinuxUser likes this

Ralph54
  • Ralph54
  • Apprentice

• PipPipPip
  • posts 305

Posted 22 September 2013 - 07:50 PM

Also middlemen wouldn't be required, anyone that will have access to it will be a trusted-enough member of the community

I think it was always going to be an optional thing. I would want one if it was a $2000 computer I was selling, but if it was a $50 camera, I'd have enough trust in other people.
  • TomSahz, LinuxUser and tehkhop like this

JoshHunter
  • JoshHunter
  • Master

• PipPipPipPip
  • posts 3,782

Posted 22 September 2013 - 07:58 PM

Just have a verified traders thread like gpforums too. Once you start adding in heatwave/trademe as a requirement it's just getting complicated, although people are of course free to post links to their trademe/other trading history

Both of these are just options that can be available for the cautious.
  • LinuxUser likes this

Ralph54
  • Ralph54
  • Apprentice

• PipPipPip
  • posts 305

Posted 22 September 2013 - 08:30 PM

Just made a quick mockup of a chart which may help keep the system a little more explained:

Attached File  Screeny 2013-09-22 at 8.28.50 PM.png   96.86KB   2 downloads

eliongater
  • eliongater
  • Veteran

• PipPipPipPip
  • posts 2,181

Posted 22 September 2013 - 08:34 PM

What about at the start when no one has any feedback? Also would 1000+ post people or people who we talk to out of PS be considered safe?

Also i think this was mentioned in here some where (sorry if it wasn't) but i also like the idea of custom titles for people e.g. sleever
  • LinuxUser likes this
Steam Battlelog Raptr 404 So many Pixels so little Time: i5-3570k | Maximus V Gene | Sapphire 7950 Vapor-X | 8gb samsung | QNIX QX2710

Tom's DinDin Place™.

Crovalli
  • Crovalli
  • Wannabe

• Pip
  • posts 33

Posted 22 September 2013 - 09:03 PM

Quite like the idea of the buy/sell thread, though I don't exactly like the idea of 50 posts to *view* what people are selling, mainly cause I wouldn't wanna have to wait out to get ideas on prices (if I wanted to sell one of my monitors to a friend etc.)

I don't understand how the TradeMe account would be incorporated, and how useful it would be, seeing as I don't have my own, don't have intentions of making one, and tend to use either mothers or girlfriends accounts when needed.

Middlemen seems a good idea, particularly in the initial startup of the thread to get a general jist of how certain traders are, though down the line I don't see the point in this, and I'd assume they'll get a cut of the sale?
  • LinuxUser likes this

JoshHunter
  • JoshHunter
  • Master

• PipPipPipPip
  • posts 3,782

Posted 22 September 2013 - 09:11 PM

Quite like the idea of the buy/sell thread, though I don't exactly like the idea of 50 posts to *view* what people are selling, mainly cause I wouldn't wanna have to wait out to get ideas on prices (if I wanted to sell one of my monitors to a friend etc.)

I don't understand how the TradeMe account would be incorporated, and how useful it would be, seeing as I don't have my own, don't have intentions of making one, and tend to use either mothers or girlfriends accounts when needed.

Middlemen seems a good idea, particularly in the initial startup of the thread to get a general jist of how certain traders are, though down the line I don't see the point in this, and I'd assume they'll get a cut of the sale?

The TradeMe account obviously wouldn't be a requirement.. It would just be something that could provide extra credibility.

MassaHarri
  • MassaHarri
  • Apprentice

• PipPipPip
  • posts 930

Posted 22 September 2013 - 09:28 PM

I'm legit with 10 posts :D
  • tehkhop and KrazyKap like this

JoshHunter
  • JoshHunter
  • Master

• PipPipPipPip
  • posts 3,782

Posted 22 September 2013 - 09:32 PM

I'm legit with 10 posts :D

Posted Image
  • eliongater and KrazyKap like this

MassaHarri
  • MassaHarri
  • Apprentice

• PipPipPip
  • posts 930

Posted 22 September 2013 - 09:51 PM

I become trusted after another 39 posts? I better start posting then!

It's a somewhat flawed concept i think, but i understand what you're trying to do.

JoshHunter
  • JoshHunter
  • Master

• PipPipPipPip
  • posts 3,782

Posted 22 September 2013 - 09:57 PM

Most concepts are flawed in one way or another ^_^
  • KrazyKap likes this

eliongater
  • eliongater
  • Veteran

• PipPipPipPip
  • posts 2,181

Posted 22 September 2013 - 10:31 PM

Is some punctuation missing on girlfriend? Or do you have more than one :P

Posted Image

SHUTDOWN
  • JoshHunter likes this
Steam Battlelog Raptr 404 So many Pixels so little Time: i5-3570k | Maximus V Gene | Sapphire 7950 Vapor-X | 8gb samsung | QNIX QX2710

Tom's DinDin Place™.

Crovalli
  • Crovalli
  • Wannabe

• Pip
  • posts 33

Posted 22 September 2013 - 10:34 PM

Not sure if it's been mentioned, could there be a possibility of compulsory information you must give when selling? Not sure if it's me being pedantic but with second hand components I'd like to know about their previous use eg if a CPU has been overclocked before, if a hard drive was used as a primary drive or w/e. Yes I'm aware it could be asked, but for someone like me I'd wanna completely ignore needing to ask etc
  • LinuxUser likes this

JoshHunter
  • JoshHunter
  • Master

• PipPipPipPip
  • posts 3,782

Posted 22 September 2013 - 11:01 PM

Most people lie about CPU's being overclocked :/ It's like car listings on TradeMe:

Never been thrashed, responsible female driver, never skidded

Then you go and see the car and the rear tires are bald.
  • TomSahz, LinuxUser, S0up2up and 5 others like this

Word Of Madness
  • Word Of Madness
  • Veteran

• PipPipPipPip
  • posts 2,186

Posted 22 September 2013 - 11:44 PM

Based on the poll, I'd go with this if you want the fewest categories possible:

PCs and PC Hardware.
PC Peripherals, Games and Software.
Everything else can go in the root forum.

We've now had double the responses and the distribution is very similar. How do people feel about these categories?

I'm agreed on the 50 post minimum. It's low enough to be easily attainable for any active forum users, but is high enough to off-put the average scammer.

As far as the trusted traders list goes, Heatware would be a pretty good option to keep track of feedback. The other possibility would be to use GP's system, where you have a list of traders, and all of the people who have nominated them as a good trader. Then have another thread for dodgy traders, where you do the same thing, but adopt a 3 strikes system, where if they get nominated 3 times their BS&T permissions are removed.
  • TomSahz and KrazyKap like this
|| Steam ||

Unregistered43663
  • Unregistered43663
  • Addicted

• PipPipPipPip
  • posts 1,057

Posted 22 September 2013 - 11:45 PM

Then you go and see the car and the rear tires are bald.

And it's a front wheel drive. This has happened to me, and obviously he rotated the tyres.
My Pooter: Core i5-3570k 4.4GHz || Asus Z77 Sabertooth || 2x Asus GTX 670 DC2-4GD5 4Gb 1.15GHz SLI || Kingston Genesis 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1866MHz CL9 1.65V (1.5V) || 120GB OCZ Vertex 4 || Silverstone Strider 750W ST75F 80+ Gold || Corsair 600T Silver Edition || Windows 8 Pro with Media Center 64-bit || Hyper 212 Evo || Silverstone 120mm Air Penetrator Blue LED CPU Cooler Fans || NZXT Blue LED Lighting ||

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users