• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

cat824
  • cat824

• PipPip
  • posts 131

Posted 27 September 2018 - 12:10 PM

Hi all,

It has been quite a while since being active on here, I even got an email to say they may delete my account due to inactivity!

My family and I are travelling to Shanghai, China for a while. We all know that they block access to Google owned stuff, which we use almost all-day, everyday. 

Can anyone recommend us some VPN services to use so we can get access to blocked content while we are there? Yes I know I can Google these, but it would be best if I could get your recommendation as opposed to just picking one off the internet shelf. I would not mind paying a small fee for the VPN service, it would just need to reliably get us access to blocked content for about 3 months. 

Thank you in advance everyone!

cat

My Battlelog page.

Silverstone TJ08-E | Asus P8H67M-LE | Core i5-2400 | Kingston 2x4GB 1333 LP | Deepcool Gammaxx S40 | EVGA GTX770 SC 2GB | Cooler Master V550 | Seagate 600 240GB | WD Blue 500GB | Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2012 | Logitech G3

SpartanVXL
  • SpartanVXL
  • Wannabe

• Pip
  • posts 11

Posted 03 October 2018 - 04:03 PM

The main issue with access in China is reliability, the GFW is not nice to most services and to get a reliable connection requires some tricky setup. Off the shelf stuff is not guaranteed to work day-to-day (or even hour-to-hour).

Really, the best for this is data roaming on your carrier but I don't know if 3 months is viable. I know this might sound strange, but Vodafone is very good for international service along with Spark

LinuxUser
  • LinuxUser
  • PriceSpy

• posts 8,999

Posted 03 October 2018 - 07:19 PM

That's interesting. After a bit of research (where Google was anything but helpful), I'm pretty sure that when roaming the data is encrypted between your phone and your provider's network (e.g. Spark or Vodafone), with the network the phone actually connects to unable see the data. So similar to a VPN, except at a lower network level and without having to connect to a service that they're trying to block.

I don't know how reliable it would be, but if you're that way inclined you might be able to set up VPN or SSH access to your own network / computer...

Recommended Power Supplies Recommended review sites Why stores shouldn't be removed RAM voltage

i5 7400, Gigabyte GA-B250M-D3H, 16 GB DDR4, integrated graphics, Adata XPG SX8200 480 GB (NVMe), 3x Kingston SSDNow KC380 120 GB, Corsair MX100 128 GB, Spinpoint F3 1TB HDD, DVD writer, all inside a wood case I built, Dell U2412M 24", U2311H 23" IPS and Philips 150B4 15" monitors, wood-bodied mouse, Dvorak keyboard, openSUSE Tumbleweed, Windows 8.1 Pro in a VB VM inside Linux

I may occasionally give advice regarding (consumer) law, but it is only my opinion based on my reading – I am not a lawyer.

Romans 3:23; 6:23; 5:8; 10:9-10,13

cat824
  • cat824

• PipPip
  • posts 131

Posted 04 October 2018 - 10:17 AM

Hi guys,

Thank you for the input. Roaming actually came across our discussion at home, but it just didn't seem economical. 

In the end, we settled for the one from VPN.ac. Apparently there is a crackdown going on in China so a lot of VPN servers have been blocked. Wife's on Facebook now so everything seems good!

Thanks again! :)

cat

• LinuxUser likes this

My Battlelog page.

Silverstone TJ08-E | Asus P8H67M-LE | Core i5-2400 | Kingston 2x4GB 1333 LP | Deepcool Gammaxx S40 | EVGA GTX770 SC 2GB | Cooler Master V550 | Seagate 600 240GB | WD Blue 500GB | Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2012 | Logitech G3

Tech555
  • Tech555
  • Rookie

• posts 1

Posted 07 March 2019 - 11:51 PM

There are very few VPN services which works in china like Express vpn and PureVPN, you can try PureVPN as its much affordable and also will work great when you come back to new zealand. 

https://www.purevpn....new-zealand-vpn

Gangreno
  • Gangreno
  • Rookie

• posts 3

Posted 15 June 2019 - 01:35 PM

There are very few VPN services which works in china like Express vpn and PureVPN, you can try PureVPN as its much affordable and also will work great when you come back to new zealand. 

https://www.purevpn....new-zealand-vpn

HI there,

Your post is helpful. I will check on this. Thanks for sharing.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users