Struggling to get Nvidia Shield TV to work

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

andytheape
  • andytheape

• PipPip
  • posts 144

Posted 23 January 2016 - 12:29 AM

So ive bought an Nvidia Shield TV from US, plugged it into my monitor and it works just fine but it doesnt seem to want to display on either my TV (2 1/2year old Panasonic), or my parents TV (5 year old 3D Pansonic). I wasn't sure if it could be an issue of PAL/NTSC but I thought NZ TVs could manage both. All im getting is a blank screen

Ive updated the Shield TV software so thats up to latest and tried messing with TV settings but still no picture. Anyone able to take a guess at what might be the issue and how to fix/work around it?

Ive posted on the Shield forums but didnt get any responses.

LinuxUser
  • LinuxUser
  • PriceSpy

• posts 8,999

Posted 23 January 2016 - 08:07 AM

I was wondering as I read the first sentence if PAL / NTSC could be the issue, then decided it would be no longer relevant now that HDMI and higher resolutions are in use. Then you mention it, and you're probably right anyway. So I did a little reading, and it is only relevant for analog stuff. So not the issue.

The HDMI version(s) supported on each end is possible, but very unlikely. Is the TV using the correct input?

Recommended Power Supplies Recommended review sites Why stores shouldn't be removed RAM voltage

i5 7400, Gigabyte GA-B250M-D3H, 16 GB DDR4, integrated graphics, Adata XPG SX8200 480 GB (NVMe), 3x Kingston SSDNow KC380 120 GB, Corsair MX100 128 GB, Spinpoint F3 1TB HDD, DVD writer, all inside a wood case I built, Dell U2412M 24", U2311H 23" IPS and Philips 150B4 15" monitors, wood-bodied mouse, Dvorak keyboard, openSUSE Tumbleweed, Windows 8.1 Pro in a VB VM inside Linux

I may occasionally give advice regarding (consumer) law, but it is only my opinion based on my reading – I am not a lawyer.

Romans 3:23; 6:23; 5:8; 10:9-10,13

ireshine
  • ireshine

• PipPip
  • posts 105

Posted 23 January 2016 - 10:09 AM

Can you set the resolution to Auto Detect?

off-topic:

hows the performance compare to a HTPC?

LinuxUser
  • LinuxUser
  • PriceSpy

• posts 8,999

Posted 23 January 2016 - 11:49 AM

off-topic:

hows the performance compare to a HTPC?

What HTPC though? It'd be easy (but expensive) to build a HTPC that out-performed most gaming machines.

Recommended Power Supplies Recommended review sites Why stores shouldn't be removed RAM voltage

i5 7400, Gigabyte GA-B250M-D3H, 16 GB DDR4, integrated graphics, Adata XPG SX8200 480 GB (NVMe), 3x Kingston SSDNow KC380 120 GB, Corsair MX100 128 GB, Spinpoint F3 1TB HDD, DVD writer, all inside a wood case I built, Dell U2412M 24", U2311H 23" IPS and Philips 150B4 15" monitors, wood-bodied mouse, Dvorak keyboard, openSUSE Tumbleweed, Windows 8.1 Pro in a VB VM inside Linux

I may occasionally give advice regarding (consumer) law, but it is only my opinion based on my reading – I am not a lawyer.

andytheape
  • andytheape

• PipPip
  • posts 144

Posted 24 January 2016 - 05:06 AM

Yeah ive tried different inputs and different cables, mainly the one included with TV.

I havent got it working enough to test how well it works, i really dont need to use it on my monitor when i have a $1.5-$2k computer plugged into it already. I actually bought it to use as a streaming box for my parents, i had them running on a WD Live TV box but good 1080p movies seemed to be too much for the Live TV box to handle and the Shield was $165USD including shipping and controller + voice remote and i was assuming it would work well enough to last this TV + when they next buy a new one (since im assuming their next will be 4k and its 4k capable.

When i plug it into my monitor i can go into options and switch around the settings although pretty sure the Shield detects what resolution and speed the monitor + TV can run at but either way i tried every setting and then tried plugging into the TVs again but no go.

So i dont know if this is just something in my imagination but would there possibly be a monitor that could pull the signal and then output the same screen to another screen via HDMI as a duplicate screen? its about the only thing i can think to try unless i tried to buy a hdmi to component cable adapter which again im assuming exists and could possibly work.

If all fails I guess ill give it a go on my monitor for the gaming experience with the controller (although i just bought a Steam Controller back from the US with me lol)

ireshine
  • ireshine

• PipPip
  • posts 105

Posted 24 January 2016 - 08:31 AM

What HTPC though? It'd be easy (but expensive) to build a HTPC that out-performed most gaming machines.

lets say about $400 (how much my HTPC costed), I don't use it for gaming. manly video content.

I want to move to Android box, but....

Pro and Cons of PC versus a Android box

PC Pros

File-sharing

fast, very snappy in kodi

Easy to setup

PC Cons

kodi support for Netflix, Crunchyroll, TVNZ, youtube, (its terrible!)

power usage

Space it takes up

Android box Pros

power usage

Space it doesn't takes up

App support for Netflix, Crunchyroll, TVNZ, youtube (good if the app give you 1080p)

Android box Cons

File-sharing

Doesn't support H.256 (some do, some don't)

default apps Think its a tablet and not a TV (bad interface)

andytheape
  • andytheape

• PipPip
  • posts 144

Posted 24 January 2016 - 04:50 PM

lets say about $400 (how much my HTPC costed), I don't use it for gaming. manly video content.

I want to move to Android box, but....

Pro and Cons of PC versus a Android box

PC Pros

File-sharing

fast, very snappy in kodi

Easy to setup

PC Cons

kodi support for Netflix, Crunchyroll, TVNZ, youtube, (its terrible!)

power usage

Space it takes up

Android box Pros

power usage

Space it doesn't takes up

App support for Netflix, Crunchyroll, TVNZ, youtube (good if the app give you 1080p)

Android box Cons

File-sharing

Doesn't support H.256 (some do, some don't)

default apps Think its a tablet and not a TV (bad interface)

With the Cons for android i plug my main shared hard drive into the router and the andriod box pics it up over wifi/ethernet cable

WD live tv support is amazing thats why i bought it to begin with, itll even play iso files but its just not powerful enough anymore

And obviously cost is a big incentive, cheaper to buy and to run.

• ireshine likes this

ireshine
  • ireshine

• PipPip
  • posts 105

Posted 24 January 2016 - 05:46 PM

on topic.

Can it be the HDMI cable or the TV input only supports HDMI 1.(whatever)

and the Shield using HDMI 2.0

LinuxUser
  • LinuxUser
  • PriceSpy

• posts 8,999

Posted 25 January 2016 - 09:16 AM

Yeah ive tried different inputs and different cables, mainly the one included with TV.

I havent got it working enough to test how well it works, i really dont need to use it on my monitor when i have a $1.5-$2k computer plugged into it already. I actually bought it to use as a streaming box for my parents, i had them running on a WD Live TV box but good 1080p movies seemed to be too much for the Live TV box to handle and the Shield was $165USD including shipping and controller + voice remote and i was assuming it would work well enough to last this TV + when they next buy a new one (since im assuming their next will be 4k and its 4k capable.

When i plug it into my monitor i can go into options and switch around the settings although pretty sure the Shield detects what resolution and speed the monitor + TV can run at but either way i tried every setting and then tried plugging into the TVs again but no go.

So i dont know if this is just something in my imagination but would there possibly be a monitor that could pull the signal and then output the same screen to another screen via HDMI as a duplicate screen? its about the only thing i can think to try unless i tried to buy a hdmi to component cable adapter which again im assuming exists and could possibly work.

If all fails I guess ill give it a go on my monitor for the gaming experience with the controller (although i just bought a Steam Controller back from the US with me lol)

There are devices that'd split the connection between two screens, but I'm not sure if they'd do what you want. An HDMI to Component adapter might work too, but one thing is sure with them: HDCP would not work. But they may work no better than the connection to the TV does.

on topic.

Can it be the HDMI cable or the TV input only supports HDMI 1.(whatever)

and the Shield using HDMI 2.0

Possible, but I would have expected the Shield to fall back to 1.x. And I wouldn't guarantee that the monitor, which it does work with, supports 2.0 anyway. But it almost has to be something along those lines, because I don't see what else it could possibly be.

andytheape
  • andytheape

• PipPip
  • posts 144

Posted 25 January 2016 - 09:27 PM

There are devices that'd split the connection between two screens, but I'm not sure if they'd do what you want. An HDMI to Component adapter might work too, but one thing is sure with them: HDCP would not work. But they may work no better than the connection to the TV does.

Possible, but I would have expected the Shield to fall back to 1.x. And I wouldn't guarantee that the monitor, which it does work with, supports 2.0 anyway. But it almost has to be something along those lines, because I don't see what else it could possibly be.

Splitting it via something else is a shot in the dark at just something that might work.

I'll try a hdmi to component cable since thats a pretty cheap option to test.

"Check that your TV has an HDCP-compatible HDMI port.  Some content requires HDCP."

From Nvidia site. Which I assume would mean it would at least display the home page even without and the HDCP kicks in when trying to view something specific. (I just spent about 45mins reading about HDCP because i didnt know what it was before this)

LinuxUser
  • LinuxUser
  • PriceSpy

• posts 8,999

Posted 26 January 2016 - 07:28 AM

Yes, it is a good idea to test it if you can. And yes, a lack of HDCP support would generally only be an issue for the particular content that needs it.

andytheape
  • andytheape

• PipPip
  • posts 144

Posted 02 February 2016 - 09:10 PM

Well new component cable didn't work unfortunately, It must be something in the TV region somehow but ive no idea what.

Guess ill just have to use on monitor.

Thanks for suggestions

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users