Photo

Pricespy is deleting accounts waaaay too hastily?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Runnerman
  • Runnerman
  • Rookie

• posts 4

Posted 25 May 2018 - 04:52 AM

I've had this account for around about a decade, and I got an email today saying if I don't log in within 30 days then it would be GONE. 

And even once I "saved" it, this account would still be at risk every 18 months. Why such a short time span?!

I don't understand why Pricespy would want to delete accounts, is just a teeny amount of data sitting on a server! Surely they'd lose more repeat returns or lose more good will, than whatever teeny savings they'd make by clearing up a bit of server space. 

• pacif13r and LinuxUser like this

DZander
  • DZander
  • Wannabe

• Pip
  • posts 46

Posted 25 May 2018 - 09:10 AM

It might be part of the EU privacy law changes?

HiFreak1c
  • HiFreak1c
  • Rookie

• posts 1

Posted 25 May 2018 - 09:26 AM

Yeah, +1 -- literally that's the only reason I'm logged in right now. lol

• gregosnz likes this

LinuxUser
  • LinuxUser
  • PriceSpy

• posts 9,005

Posted 25 May 2018 - 09:59 AM

I've had this account for around about a decade, and I got an email today saying if I don't log in within 30 days then it would be GONE. 

And even once I "saved" it, this account would still be at risk every 18 months. Why such a short time span?!

I don't understand why Pricespy would want to delete accounts, is just a teeny amount of data sitting on a server! Surely they'd lose more repeat returns or lose more good will, than whatever teeny savings they'd make by clearing up a bit of server space. 

That is weird. And I totally agree with you. Weirdest of all, space savings are probably the thing of smallest consequence.

It might be part of the EU privacy law changes?

Maybe. I doubt it though. And even if it is, it doesn't apply to NZ, unless there are some aspects that also apply to international customers of EU businesses. I do realise that the owners and devs are in the EU and are mostly developing for the EU, but how hard would it be to only prune old accounts on non-NZ sites?

Put it this way, I've just had to go through making some mobile apps comply, and I didn't see Google mention anything other than getting consent to use cookies and ad personalisation. Nothing about accounts, data retention, or anything like that. If it isn't relevant to a mobile app, it probably isn't relevant to a website either.

Recommended Power Supplies Recommended review sites Why stores shouldn't be removed RAM voltage

i5 7400, Gigabyte GA-B250M-D3H, 16 GB DDR4, integrated graphics, Adata XPG SX8200 480 GB (NVMe), 3x Kingston SSDNow KC380 120 GB, Corsair MX100 128 GB, Spinpoint F3 1TB HDD, DVD writer, all inside a wood case I built, Dell U2412M 24", U2311H 23" IPS and Philips 150B4 15" monitors, wood-bodied mouse, Dvorak keyboard, openSUSE Tumbleweed, Windows 8.1 Pro in a VB VM inside Linux

I may occasionally give advice regarding (consumer) law, but it is only my opinion based on my reading – I am not a lawyer.

Romans 3:23; 6:23; 5:8; 10:9-10,13

RyoOkutani
  • RyoOkutani
  • Rookie

• posts 7

Posted 25 May 2018 - 10:30 AM

Hmmm the EU privacy law changes - i assume you guys are talking about the GDPR applies internationally.  Most likely an aspect of this...

TomSahz
  • TomSahz
  • Master

• PipPipPipPip
  • posts 2,903

Posted 25 May 2018 - 01:05 PM

Hopefully a strategy to force people back to the forums - they've been dead for too long :-(

• lvmarv and LinuxUser like this

johanneshenrysson
  • johanneshenrysson

• posts 232

Posted 25 May 2018 - 04:51 PM

Hi there,

Yes, this is a result of the GDPR which goes live within EU now.

Is it common that you don’t use your account for more than 18 months and then start using it again?

Regards
Johannes

GYMKHANA
  • GYMKHANA
  • Rookie

• posts 1

Posted 25 May 2018 - 05:45 PM

I have used Pricespy periodically but didn't realize / remember that I needed to log in.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users