Most prices are skewed by one supplier that I cant blacklist

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

Edwood
  • Edwood
  • Rookie

• posts 5

Posted 27 June 2014 - 08:52 AM

I've recently become a bit of a pricespy fanboy, but one thing has got me really frustrated...

The problem is that most of the prices are skewed by a certain band of liars and thieves that are somehow still around despite a terrible star rating and a very long list of complaints.

The dodgey outfit usually has significantly lower prices than the next guy and it means that any quick view is completely decieving. This price distortion the most basic functionality of PriceSpy. :(

Im trying to compare the prices of a couple of products and its very frustrating that I have to write down the actual lowest market price and manually compare with the next product.
My product list lies to me about the lowest fair market price for the products im interested in.
The compare tool lies to me about the fair market price comparison.

I've disliked the store, but all that does is stop me getting alerts from them.

C'mon! PriceSpy - surely you can at least let us filter out companies we dislike from the search results!?

:blink:
  • Spacer and hajlubbe like this

TomSahz
  • TomSahz
  • Master

• PipPipPipPip
  • posts 2,903

Posted 27 June 2014 - 09:13 AM

Hi Ed,

At the moment you can sort of filter out stores you don't like but I agree that an easier solution exists.

For searches, you have to manually select the stores you want to accept results from. I think a better solution would be to have a button in the filter list that allows you to automatically restrict stores to ones that you have liked.

For product lists, when calculating the lowest price you can choose to ignore stores or only consider stores.
  • SammyD likes this

Edwood
  • Edwood
  • Rookie

• posts 5

Posted 27 June 2014 - 09:37 AM

Hi Tom - thanks for your reply.
I can't figure out how to do any of the filtering you're talking about.

At the moment you can sort of filter out stores you don't like

How can I do that?

For searches, you have to manually select the stores you want to accept results from.

How do i do that?

For product lists, when calculating the lowest price you can choose to ignore stores

That sounds good - how do i do that?
I've played with the product lists, but I can't figure out how to blacklist a store.

Also, for what its worth, Im after a black list, not a whitelist. There's only one store messing everything up, and i'd have to go and whitelist every store I can find, and keep updating every time i find a new store.

Thanks!

LinuxUser
  • LinuxUser
  • PriceSpy

• posts 9,005

Posted 27 June 2014 - 09:44 AM

Hi Tom - thanks for your reply.
I can't figure out how to do any of the filtering you're talking about.

"At the moment you can sort of filter out stores you don't like"
How can I do that?

"For searches, you have to manually select the stores you want to accept results from."
How do i do that?

"For product lists, when calculating the lowest price you can choose to ignore stores"
That sounds good - how do i do that?
I've played with the product lists, but I can't figure out how to blacklist a store.

Also, for what its worth, Im after a black list, not a whitelist. There's only one store messing everything up, and i'd have to go and whitelist every store I can find, and keep updating every time i find a new store.

Thanks!

I'm not sure what Tom is referring to with the first one. With the second one, it is probably a reference to selecting stores in the product filters, but unfortunately that only affects which products are filtered out, not the sorting or anything else. The third one is almost definitely a reference to price optimisation – on your product list there's a couple of buttons up the top toward the middle, one is compare products and the other is price optimisation.

I hope something gets done here too, but it hasn't happened before...

Recommended Power Supplies Recommended review sites Why stores shouldn't be removed RAM voltage

i5 7400, Gigabyte GA-B250M-D3H, 16 GB DDR4, integrated graphics, Adata XPG SX8200 480 GB (NVMe), 3x Kingston SSDNow KC380 120 GB, Corsair MX100 128 GB, Spinpoint F3 1TB HDD, DVD writer, all inside a wood case I built, Dell U2412M 24", U2311H 23" IPS and Philips 150B4 15" monitors, wood-bodied mouse, Dvorak keyboard, openSUSE Tumbleweed, Windows 8.1 Pro in a VB VM inside Linux

I may occasionally give advice regarding (consumer) law, but it is only my opinion based on my reading – I am not a lawyer.

Romans 3:23; 6:23; 5:8; 10:9-10,13

TomSahz
  • TomSahz
  • Master

• PipPipPipPip
  • posts 2,903

Posted 27 June 2014 - 09:44 AM

First bit was a general comment to introduce the two solutions.

For searches there is a 'Store Filter' where you can narrow results to certain stores.

For product lists, click the little dollar icon in the middle of the three icons on the top right. Its a feature called 'Price optimisation' and lets you see how to get the lowest price with the lowest number of stores for the contents of the list. When you do this, disliked stores are automatically excluded, and you can click a single button to add all 'liked' stores, or you can just add a few manually. For some reason you can only 'price optimize' a max of 12 products at a time. I'll ask why this is the case.

There is no blacklist feature at this time and its probably unlikely there will be, but I've made a suggestion about how to make searches easier that fits in with the current solution for price optimization.

Edited by TomSahz, 27 June 2014 - 09:46 AM.

Edwood
  • Edwood
  • Rookie

• posts 5

Posted 27 June 2014 - 10:12 AM

Hmmm... neither of these options really help me, but thanks anyway.

The first option (using advanced search) makes me choose one particular supplier which kinda defeats the purpose of the site.
The second option combines everything in my list, exludes the band of thieves, but presents the information in a consolidated way grouped and organised in a shopping list of sorts that makes it quite hard to make the quick comparisons im trying to.

Its a pity PriceSpy cant give us a blacklist option. I see it's been requested many times before, and because of this same supplier... pity.

Its so frustraing that I can't rely on the pricing shown in my list/s because it is using pricing provided by a scam artist that nobody in thier right mind would give money to :(

Cheers.
  • gaspard likes this

TomSahz
  • TomSahz
  • Master

• PipPipPipPip
  • posts 2,903

Posted 27 June 2014 - 11:41 AM

Hmmm... neither of these options really help me, but thanks anyway.

You can select as many stores as you want when using the store filter, you don't have to select just one.

The second option is primarily designed to be a shopping list type thing that lets you know how you can obtain all the parts from as few stores as possible for the lowest price.

I agree with you that it is frustrating how a couple of stores can ruin the experience for everyone. On balance I'm still in favour of them being listed due to the fact their incompetence would be undocumented otherwise, but I do wish we had a solution implemented to address the points you raise.

gaspard
  • gaspard
  • Amateur

• PipPip
  • posts 57

Posted 17 June 2018 - 02:48 AM

I just noticed this, thought I would fire up pricespy to compare a couple video card prices... lo-and-behold the BS super-low prices shown on pricespy cannot actually be found on their dodgy website thus ruining the display, because although you can filter out products not sold by certain stores, it doesn't hide the prices of those dodgy stores in the list if the product you're trying to price happens to be sold by said store...

So now sorting by price isn't easy... just need a way to exclude certain stores from the listing altogether, could be an option that is only accessible to logged-in users that's fine.

ONE OF THESE THINGS IS NOT LIKE THE OTHER:

Attached File  pricespy listing.PNG   159.72KB   1 downloads

Attached File  e-deals bs.PNG   531.43KB   1 downloads

Edited by gaspard, 17 June 2018 - 02:59 AM.

gaspard
  • gaspard
  • Amateur

• PipPip
  • posts 57

Posted 17 June 2018 - 03:20 AM

And one more example just to draw a clear picture:

The pricespy listing for a GTX 1080 Ti Strix from Asus:

Attached File  pricespy listing2.PNG   513.91KB   0 downloads

The product listing on the dodgy website:

Attached File  e-deals bs 2.PNG   175.02KB   0 downloads

LinuxUser
  • LinuxUser
  • PriceSpy

• posts 9,005

Posted 18 June 2018 - 09:59 AM

I have reported the problem with their prices. I'm guessing the prices will be either removed or corrected within a day or two.

But I totally agree with you about needing some way to exclude stores when sorting.

• TomSahz and benhanna like this

Recommended Power Supplies Recommended review sites Why stores shouldn't be removed RAM voltage

i5 7400, Gigabyte GA-B250M-D3H, 16 GB DDR4, integrated graphics, Adata XPG SX8200 480 GB (NVMe), 3x Kingston SSDNow KC380 120 GB, Corsair MX100 128 GB, Spinpoint F3 1TB HDD, DVD writer, all inside a wood case I built, Dell U2412M 24", U2311H 23" IPS and Philips 150B4 15" monitors, wood-bodied mouse, Dvorak keyboard, openSUSE Tumbleweed, Windows 8.1 Pro in a VB VM inside Linux

I may occasionally give advice regarding (consumer) law, but it is only my opinion based on my reading – I am not a lawyer.

TomSahz
  • TomSahz
  • Master

• PipPipPipPip
  • posts 2,903

Posted 18 June 2018 - 05:18 PM

Yeah, it isn't really good enough to only be able to restrict searches to a list of 'favourite' stores. Would be much easier to exclude a couple of stores from searches so you only get genuine results.

• benhanna likes this

LinuxUser
  • LinuxUser
  • PriceSpy

• posts 9,005

Posted 19 June 2018 - 11:16 AM

I just noticed this, thought I would fire up pricespy to compare a couple video card prices... lo-and-behold the BS super-low prices shown on pricespy cannot actually be found on their dodgy website thus ruining the display, because although you can filter out products not sold by certain stores, it doesn't hide the prices of those dodgy stores in the list if the product you're trying to price happens to be sold by said store...

So now sorting by price isn't easy... just need a way to exclude certain stores from the listing altogether, could be an option that is only accessible to logged-in users that's fine.

ONE OF THESE THINGS IS NOT LIKE THE OTHER:

Well, the good news is that that store has had their prices removed. Unfortunately, that only helps until it happens again...

• gaspard and TomSahz like this

gaspard
  • gaspard
  • Amateur

• PipPip
  • posts 57

Posted 19 June 2018 - 01:23 PM

Yeah, it isn't really good enough to only be able to restrict searches to a list of 'favourite' stores. Would be much easier to exclude a couple of stores from searches so you only get genuine results.

but it's even worse then that, because even if you're only showing products from "Favorite" shops, you're still showing all prices for said products (including the dodgy prices if that same product is sold by both favorite and dodgy shop), it doesn't hide the prices for the "undesired" shops so comparison is much harder.

• LinuxUser likes this

TomSahz
  • TomSahz
  • Master

• PipPipPipPip
  • posts 2,903

Posted 19 June 2018 - 05:17 PM

but it's even worse then that, because even if you're only showing products from "Favorite" shops, you're still showing all prices for said products (including the dodgy prices if that same product is sold by both favorite and dodgy shop), it doesn't hide the prices for the "undesired" shops so comparison is much harder.

Ah right, yeah I get what you mean. I assumed if you restricted to only one store it would show the prices for that one store only but nothing changes other than what products are shown (really only half of the functionality we need).

jaqqour
  • jaqqour
  • Amateur

• PipPip
  • posts 54

Posted 20 June 2018 - 11:45 AM

This has really started to be something that gets to me also, I fire up price-spy to look at my alerts bar nearly every day but in recent months there has been no visible change due to one particular store keeping a near static -questionable- low price on most things i am waiting for a deal to pop up on before pulling the trigger (I would never buy from this store based on comments in these forums)

The ability to filter stores from your alerts would be brilliant, because you could actually see 'real' prices at a glance.

LinuxUser
  • LinuxUser
  • PriceSpy

• posts 9,005

Posted 20 June 2018 - 01:54 PM

If you have alerts on an individual product it looks like it is possible to specify only liked stores, or only stores with a rating of __ or better.

However, if you're basing the alert on filters, it doesn't seem to be possible. And filtering by store won't help...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users