4 replies to this topic

S0up2up
  • S0up2up
  • Master

• PipPipPipPip
  • posts 3,298

Posted 25 July 2011 - 09:30 PM

Hey guys,

Looking at getting a Digital SLR. Something around $600-$1000.
Any suggestions and comments would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Brendan

Rig: Corsair 350D | i7 4770K | 16gb Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz | 2x Sapphire R9 290X (CrossfireX) | 2x Samsung 840 Pro 256 (Raid 0) | Seasonic Platinum 1000W | Intel AC 7260 Wireless Card.
Cooling: EK Supremacy Full Nickel (Mounted direct die) | EK 290X full block (Acetal/ Nickel) | Acrylic hard tubing | XSPC PWM D5 | Corsair SP120 PWM fans - Quiet Edition | Bitspower C47 fittings
Gadgets: iPhone 6 64Gb

krishant007
  • krishant007

• PipPip
  • posts 219

Posted 26 July 2011 - 04:40 AM

Id recommend getting Canon 600D (i myself just got the 550D last november and the 600D came out in march i think). It is great. Other ones that you can look at are Nikon, i think D5000 or the D3100. But strongly recommend going to the shops and having a feel of any camera before you buy it.

I was considering between the 550D and Sony Alpha55 (which uses some new translucent mirror technology) and other nifty features. I went to the shop and held them both. The sony was the smaller of the 2, thats why I dint get that one. The Canon felt more comfortable in my hands so suited me better. I did look at Nikon as well, but decided not to get it since the model they have (i think at the time it was D5000) was much older than the Canon counterpart.

But ya, people will typically tell you that Canon and Nikon are the 2 big guys in the DSLR industry, and they pretty much are. But I heard lots of good things about the new sony ones so thought id consider them as well.

But they will also tell you, no matter which brand u get, u will probably stick with that brand since people usually replace the bodies of the camera and keep the lenses.

My twin lens kit cost me about 1500 nzl. It was well worth it. There is not much difference between the 550D and the 600D besides the articulating screen. The processor i heard is still the same and so are the ergonomics.

The 550D sells for 1200 and i think u should spend the extra 200 above ur budget if u are seriously thinking of photography as a hobby. If you not, and want a better camera than a normal point and shoot, i think Nikon D3100 with the 18-55mm lens should do you just fine.

Personally, i mostly just used the 18-55mm lens atm, but thats cz i just started with photography about 8months ago.

Hope that helps

LinuxUser
  • LinuxUser
  • PriceSpy

• posts 9,005

Posted 26 July 2011 - 12:34 PM

Yes, I was told by a professional photographer that Canon and Nikon are the two big ones, and not much to choose between them. But he did say Canon is better for low light conditions.

Get a kit with the lens(es) – much cheaper, and still perfectly good (but not as good as some). An 18-55 mm is pretty good for normal stuff – fairly wide angle at one end, but the other end is zoomed in somewhat (not that it matters with the high resolution – generally speaking, you'll be able to crop it and still resize it smaller).

Recommended Power Supplies Recommended review sites Why stores shouldn't be removed RAM voltage

i5 7400, Gigabyte GA-B250M-D3H, 16 GB DDR4, integrated graphics, Adata XPG SX8200 480 GB (NVMe), 3x Kingston SSDNow KC380 120 GB, Corsair MX100 128 GB, Spinpoint F3 1TB HDD, DVD writer, all inside a wood case I built, Dell U2412M 24", U2311H 23" IPS and Philips 150B4 15" monitors, wood-bodied mouse, Dvorak keyboard, openSUSE Tumbleweed, Windows 8.1 Pro in a VB VM inside Linux

I may occasionally give advice regarding (consumer) law, but it is only my opinion based on my reading – I am not a lawyer.

Romans 3:23; 6:23; 5:8; 10:9-10,13

TomSahz
  • TomSahz
  • Master

• PipPipPipPip
  • posts 2,903

Posted 27 July 2011 - 10:08 PM

Canon vs Nikon comes down to preference once you've used both. Starting out on either platform is great, theres very few differences for the beginner (of which I am one).

I was in a similar boat to you at the end of last year. I was looking at the 450D but then my Dad suprised me with the 550D. Id definittely reccommend it! Its an amazing camera, easy to use and feels like decent construction.

If you can, buy the body and lenses separately. I have read really good things about Canons basic 50mm prime lens:

https://pricespy.co....uct.php?p=31827

I was planning on getting that but I was given the 550D with the 18-55mm kit lens. Im also looking to get a specific macro lens but theres no way I can afford it right now.

Also get an SD card, you want 8GB minimum. I dont have a tripod yet but am looking to get a manfrotto in the future.

What sort of photography are you interested in? Im still experimenting and learning basics but definitely looking to focus on macro and landscapes in the future. Its pretty daunting getting into it, but once you've taken the time to learn about the camera and experimented with different shots it feels really great.

There are some great resources at photo.net:

http://photo.net/learn/

If you have any questions feel free to ask :)

mckev91
  • mckev91
  • Rookie

• posts 7

Posted 08 June 2012 - 09:59 AM

Just to add to the discussion, I have a Cannon 350D which is pretty nice, if not a bit older. I wouldn't discount buying second hand, on trade me you'll most likely find a better body for less. Like others have said, if you go Cannon or Nikon you have an easier job of finding more lenses.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users