Unregisteredd11561a2
  • Unregisteredd11561a2
  • Master

• PipPipPipPip
  • posts 3,298

Posted 03 May 2012 - 01:32 PM

..:: How To Build A Computer 101 ::..

1. Hardware Selection:

So just go down the list, when you settle on an item that you want, you will need to add it to a list of your own creation using the normal PriceSpy functionality. Also you will need to change the filter options depending on previous choices made. For example: If you have chosen a socket 1155 CPU, like the i5 2500K, you would need a socket 1155 motherboard like the ASUS P8Z77-V Pro.

Computer Component List

CPU:: Click Here
CPU Cooler:: Click Here (Only if you have a need to exceed the ability of the stock cooler, such as if you were overclocking the CPU)
Motherboard:: Click Here
RAM:: Click Here
Graphics Card:: Click Here
HDD/SDD:: Click Here
Sound Card:: Click Here
Network Adapters (Wireless Card, etc):: Click Here
Case:: Click Here

Depending on your case choice you may need additional fans.

PSU::
-Now after you have decided on the gear to jam inside that nice shiny case, you will need to calculate the Wattage used by the system:: By Clicking Here
-Secondly here is where care needs to be placed. You do not want to get a cheap PSU, as it could fry the components that you have spend your time and hard earned money, to gain. So here is a link to a list of reputable PSUs, that Guitar Man has kindly taken his time to put together.
-If for any reason (e.g. price), you do not like any of the suggested PSUs, you can choose from the full PSU category:: Click Here. (However, be warned a low quality PSU can lead to damage of your other components.)

2. Building the System:

Now building the system itself... Sounds terribly scary! And to some it is, I mean who wouldn't be afraid of playing with large Lego? I know that I use that phrase a lot, but it is rather like playing with Lego, just with a touch more care applied. And at any point you get stuck there is us helpful lads and ladies online to help peeps out, plus a tonne of guides floating around!

An excellent example is the one found at Toms Hardware called Step by step guide to building a PC. It has large pictures and easy to follow instructions for each step, Me and TomSahz thoroughly recommended it. :D

3. Optimising the System:

For a very long time, i sought a website resource that contained exactly what Tweakguides.com does. The site focuses on providing top quality tweak guides, and acts as a repository for PC optimization and troubleshooting knowledge. This knowledge is contained within the many 'Tweakguides' written by Koroush Ghazi, who is very knowledgeable about all aspects of computers. In the words of Koroush Ghazi:

"Tweaking is about understanding and customizing all the settings in a game, application or Windows to make things run as fast as possible, as smoothly as possible, with maximum stability."

Perhaps the most utilised guides are the game guides, including popular FPS and RPG titles. The guides provide .ini tweaks, mod information and in game settings information. All settings and variables changed within the guides are personally tested by Koroush, and as long as the guides are followed you wont have any problems.
It makes sense to know how everything inside your computer works together, so that if a problem does arise you can troubleshoot it and resolve it successfully. For this reason I've found the Windows, nVidia/ATI and other system guides to be extremely useful. There are Tweaking companions free for download; 100's of pages to help you customise and tweak your Windows XP/Vista/7 system to gain maximum performance and stability. I highly recommend Tweakguides to everyone.

Edited by Unregisteredd11561a2, 07 May 2015 - 07:46 AM.

• fehrlund, TomSahz, Unregistered28435075 and 3 others like this

LinuxUser
  • LinuxUser
  • PriceSpy

• posts 9,031

Posted 03 May 2012 - 02:16 PM

OK, stickying it now.

But my first suggestion is to suggest them heading over to Guitar Man's list of recommended PSUs (link is in my sig) rather than to the PSU category – but leave the category link there.

Your example might be better if it specified a socket 1155 CPU with a 1155 motheboard, or even that the socket on the CPU and motherboard must be the same.

Possibly link to CPU coolers as well.

Correct the capitalisation of PriceSpy!

Oh, and we are always happy to give advice on a build!!!

Edited by LinuxUser, 03 May 2012 - 02:25 PM.

• Unregisteredd11561a2 and raul98555 like this

Recommended Power Supplies Recommended review sites Why stores shouldn't be removed RAM voltage

i5 7400, Gigabyte GA-B250M-D3H, 16 GB DDR4, integrated graphics, Adata XPG SX8200 480 GB (NVMe), 3x Kingston SSDNow KC380 120 GB, Corsair MX100 128 GB, Spinpoint F3 1TB HDD, DVD writer, all inside a wood case I built, Dell U2412M 24", U2311H 23" IPS and Philips 150B4 15" monitors, wood-bodied mouse, Dvorak keyboard, openSUSE Tumbleweed, Windows 8.1 Pro in a VB VM inside Linux

I may occasionally give advice regarding (consumer) law, but it is only my opinion based on my reading – I am not a lawyer.

Romans 3:23; 6:23; 5:8; 10:9-10,13

Unregisteredd11561a2
  • Unregisteredd11561a2
  • Master

• PipPipPipPip
  • posts 3,298

Posted 03 May 2012 - 02:52 PM

OK, stickying it now.

Cheers, hope thats what you were intending to do, when you suggested it in the other thread.

But my first suggestion is to suggest them heading over to Guitar Man's list of recommended PSUs (link is in my sig) rather than to the PSU category – but leave the category link there.

Done.

Your example might be better if it specified a socket 1155 CPU with a 1155 motheboard, or even that the socket on the CPU and motherboard must be the same.

Editted. Do you think that gives a better example? Just did it the other way as I figured it was better to be generic.

Possibly link to CPU coolers as well.

Done. Can you just double check that the blurb makes sense.

Correct the capitalisation of PriceSpy!

Done haha I think that is all. Hopefully, that is all legit now.
  • raul98555 likes this

LinuxUser
  • LinuxUser
  • PriceSpy

• posts 9,031

Posted 03 May 2012 - 04:05 PM

So just go down the list, when you settle on an item that you want, you will need to add it to a list of your own creation using the normal pricespy functionality. Also you will need to change the filter options depending on previous choices made. For example: if have choosen a i5 2500k, you would need a socket 1155 board like the ASUS P8Z77-V Pro.

-Now after you have decided on the gear to jam inside that nice shiny case, you will need to calculate the Wattage used by the system:: By Clicking Here
-Now here is where to care needs to be placed. You do not want to get a cheap PSU, as it could fry the components that you have spend your time and hard earned money, to gain. So here is a link to a list of reputable PSU's, that GuitarMan has kindly taken his time to put together.
-Npow after all of that is done, you can actually choose a Power Supply Unit that has an equivalent Wattage rating or higher (to the one calcualted first off):: Click Here

Note highlighting... 1) Capitalisation, 2) an, 3) having all bullet points starting with Now is a bit repetitive, you may want to change that, 4) obvious :). And just a couple of comments: Guitar Man has his username spelt with underscores, so I think it is fair to put a space, and also his list gives links to the products on here too so they can just use them – but keep the category link with something along the lines of (only "along the lines of" because I'm not quite happy with my wording!) "If you aren't happy with using a PSU from the list for some reason (e.g. price), use this link to go to the full PSU category – but be warned, a low quality PSU could damage other components".

Cheers, hope thats what you were intending to do, when you suggested it in the other thread.

Yes, it was.

Editted. Do you think that gives a better example? Just did it the other way as I figured it was better to be generic.

Actually, the way I was thinking of was more generic than what you had... something like "if you choose a socket 1155 CPU, then you would need to choose a socket 1155 motherboard" although you could possibly give an example CPU / CPU family and motherboard.

Done. Can you just double check that the blurb makes sense.

Yes, it is fine.

You've done a great job. It'll be interesting to get a bit of feedback from other members!

Edited by LinuxUser, 03 May 2012 - 04:12 PM.

• TomSahz and raul98555 like this

Recommended Power Supplies Recommended review sites Why stores shouldn't be removed RAM voltage

i5 7400, Gigabyte GA-B250M-D3H, 16 GB DDR4, integrated graphics, Adata XPG SX8200 480 GB (NVMe), 3x Kingston SSDNow KC380 120 GB, Corsair MX100 128 GB, Spinpoint F3 1TB HDD, DVD writer, all inside a wood case I built, Dell U2412M 24", U2311H 23" IPS and Philips 150B4 15" monitors, wood-bodied mouse, Dvorak keyboard, openSUSE Tumbleweed, Windows 8.1 Pro in a VB VM inside Linux

I may occasionally give advice regarding (consumer) law, but it is only my opinion based on my reading – I am not a lawyer.

raul98555
  • raul98555
  • Rookie

• posts 6

Posted 03 May 2012 - 04:25 PM

*cries* this is amazing

I didnt expect such a response, also just by reading the whole set up already, I am learning a few things about building

my own computer, which thanks to theThailand floods, might not be possible by the end of the year!

tbonesteak
  • tbonesteak
  • Apprentice

• PipPipPip
  • posts 330

Posted 03 May 2012 - 05:49 PM

If only PriceSpy had an API, you could do all of it in the post. Dev's are too lazy I guess.

LinuxUser
  • LinuxUser
  • PriceSpy

• posts 9,031

Posted 03 May 2012 - 06:29 PM

Well, probably not in a forum post, but you definitely could on a web page. I wouldn't say it is laziness so much as lack of need (even use), combined with the fact that PriceSpy would somehow have to benefit from the use of it to make it worthwhile (and I doubt they would, more likely it would cause more server load causing higher expenses, and less site visitors and therefore less ad revenue).

Unregisteredd11561a2
  • Unregisteredd11561a2
  • Master

• PipPipPipPip
  • posts 3,298

Posted 03 May 2012 - 10:40 PM

*cries* this is amazing
I didnt expect such a response, also just by reading the whole set up already, I am learning a few things about building my own computer, which thanks to the Thailand floods, might not be possible by the end of the year!

Glad you like it.

If only PriceSpy had an API, you could do all of it in the post. Dev's are too lazy I guess.

Could you make an API and then use selected individuals to create Apps for it that benefits PriceSpy.

LinuxUser
  • LinuxUser
  • PriceSpy

• posts 9,031

Posted 04 May 2012 - 11:06 AM

Probably they have an API as they have an app for smartphones, but my guess is that it is internal-only – which I don't blame them for. An API would allow the creation of software (whether for web, smartphone, or PC) that would interact with PriceSpy – for example, TradeMe has an API whereby you can create programs which can place bids etc. But TradeMe benefits (at least in theory) from anyone looking at anything on there (whether buying, or looking for something as they are wanting to buy), whereas PriceSpy only benefits from the end-user due to ads – and an API would prevent that unless there was something to make up for it.

Besides, how would an API be used, and how much? Probably once or twice for something like this. Other than that, as competition which wouldn't be permitted.

Unregisteredd11561a2
  • Unregisteredd11561a2
  • Master

• PipPipPipPip
  • posts 3,298

Posted 06 May 2012 - 06:50 PM

Does any one think that the order of the components needs to be changed?

Maybe Case to the top?

Besides, how would an API be used, and how much? Probably once or twice for something like this. Other than that, as competition which wouldn't be permitted.

All valid points, I gather there would be no end benefit for PriceSpy as a whole to do this. And it would increase security risks as the API would be running off their database right?

On a side note, does everyone think that the order of the components is good? Maybe sticking the case up above everything?

LinuxUser
  • LinuxUser
  • PriceSpy

• posts 9,031

Posted 07 May 2012 - 10:42 AM

-Secondly here is where to care needs to be placed. You do not want to get a cheap PSU, as it could fry the components that you have spend your time and hard earned money, to gain. So here is a link to a list of reputable PSUs, that Guitar Man has kindly taken his time to put together.
-If for any reason (e.g. price), you do not like any of the suggested PSUs, you can choose from the full PSU category:: Click Here. (However, be warned low quality PSUs can lead to damage over your other components.)

The first is poorly worded – maybe just remove it. Second should be "spent". Remove the highlighted comma. Change the "gain" to "get" – it is correct, but an unfamiliar and awkward wording for most people. The "over" should probably be "of".

Does any one think that the order of the components needs to be changed?

Maybe Case to the top?

All valid points, I gather there would be no end benefit for PriceSpy as a whole to do this. And it would increase security risks as the API would be running off their database right?

On a side note, does everyone think that the order of the components is good? Maybe sticking the case up above everything?

Yes, maybe the case should be on top – it definitely should be before the motherboard as it will affect the choice of motherboard (rather than the other way around).

I would initially reserve ~$150 of my budget for the PSU. Then for a gaming build I'd start by choosing the graphics card (first for budget reasons, other build types may well get it left until later), then the CPU, then seeing what motherboards in what form factors are available for that CPU which are suited to my needs, then choose the case based on the available form factors (if I decided there was a different form factor case I wanted, I'd find a suitable motherboard and then find a CPU for the motherboard), then the CPU cooler if not stock, then RAM (I'd choose RAM suited to the CPU cooler, not the other way around), then HDDs and/or SSDs, then finally sound cards and network cards. However, others might think differently!

Well, an API would make it easier for anyone up to no good, although it wouldn't actually enable anything that isn't already (at least, as far as I can see).
  • TomSahz likes this

TomSahz
  • TomSahz
  • Master

• PipPipPipPip
  • posts 2,915

Posted 07 May 2012 - 12:15 PM

The "over" should probably be "of".

Agreed with your other points on grammar. Maybe it should be "to"?

"However, be warned that low quality PSU's can lead to damage to your other components"
  • LinuxUser likes this

tbonesteak
  • tbonesteak
  • Apprentice

• PipPipPip
  • posts 330

Posted 07 May 2012 - 12:27 PM

"However, be warned that low quality PSU's can lead to damage to your other components"

It should be:

"However, be warned that a low quality PSU can lead to damage to your other components"

Since "PSU's" is a grammar nightmare in itself.
  • LinuxUser likes this

Unregistered4b3b17c2
  • Unregistered4b3b17c2
  • Apprentice

• PipPipPip
  • posts 800

Posted 07 May 2012 - 01:57 PM

Should be PSUs. Not PSU's or PSU

because otherwise it would be PSU's = power supply unit's. which is wrong
and PSU = power supply unit, which is not plural.

so PSUs = power supply units, which is correct.

LinuxUser
  • LinuxUser
  • PriceSpy

• posts 9,031

Posted 07 May 2012 - 02:03 PM

It should be:

"However, be warned that a low quality PSU can lead to damage to your other components"

Yes, I agree. I only looked at the over/of rather than the sentence as a whole.

But a plural is never formed with a ' , so "PSUs" would be better than "PSU's" if you wanted it to be plural (which would require other things as well).

For sure, but it doesn't necessarily need to be plural surely (assuming appropriate wording)?

I hope no one minds the grammar corrections... :D

Unregisteredd11561a2
  • Unregisteredd11561a2
  • Master

• PipPipPipPip
  • posts 3,298

Posted 07 May 2012 - 03:14 PM

That's be corrected, however according yo your timestamps it was corrected before you even brought it up. So can someone please look through the first post and double check that it makes sense now?

Also have editted that whole PSU dilema to edit out as many PSUs and PSU's as possible. Hopefully, with the changes it makes more sense.

And no I didn't mean to sound grumpy haha just knew I had editted some of it before you guys complained about it. If its the rogue PriceSpy clock again, I humbly appologise.

Unregistered4b3b17c2
  • Unregistered4b3b17c2
  • Apprentice

• PipPipPip
  • posts 800

Posted 07 May 2012 - 03:42 PM

That's be corrected, however according yo your timestamps it was corrected before you even brought it up. So can someone please look through the first post and double check that it makes sense now?

Also have editted that whole PSU dilema to edit out as many PSUs and PSU's as possible. Hopefully, with the changes it makes more sense.

And no I didn't mean to sound grumpy haha just knew I had editted some of it before you guys complained about it. If its the rogue PriceSpy clock again, I humbly appologise.

It should be:

I was talking about tbonesteak's post

LinuxUser
  • LinuxUser
  • PriceSpy

• posts 9,031

Posted 07 May 2012 - 03:46 PM

Hmm, looks like you missed my post.

The time is currently around 3:45 PM. Check your time zone and DST settings (I found I had to disable automatic DST).

Edited by LinuxUser, 07 May 2012 - 03:47 PM.

TomSahz
  • TomSahz
  • Master

• PipPipPipPip
  • posts 2,915

Posted 07 May 2012 - 05:08 PM

I think it makes more sense in Spanish:

"Sin embargo, se advirtió que la baja calidad de la fuente de alimentación puede provocar daños en los componentes de otros"

:D
  • Unregisteredd11561a2 likes this

tbonesteak
  • tbonesteak
  • Apprentice

• PipPipPip
  • posts 330

Posted 07 May 2012 - 07:44 PM

This is going way off topic now :)

But I do have a suggestion; maybe start with the backbone hardware etc. like the case then the PSU.

Case > PSU > Mobo > CPU > RAM > HDD > Graphics Card.

(Edit: I don't mean this in a build priority list, it's just a clearer format - at least when I look at it like that.)

LinuxUser
  • LinuxUser
  • PriceSpy

• posts 9,031

Posted 07 May 2012 - 07:59 PM

No, PSU needs to come last due to its requirements being dependent on the other components, not the other way around. And I'd always choose the CPU before the motherboard, as the CPU is important for performance reasons, whereas the motherboard is not. And I'd choose the graphics card first as it is the most important part from a performance perspective for a gaming build, and is also a relatively expensive item. As to whether case comes before the motherboard or after is dependent on whether the case design is more important than the choice of motherboard (and probably CPU), or whether it is the other way around – which is up to the designer.
  • TomSahz and Unregisteredd11561a2 like this

Unregisteredd11561a2
  • Unregisteredd11561a2
  • Master

• PipPipPipPip
  • posts 3,298

Posted 08 May 2012 - 12:23 AM

I think it makes more sense in Spanish:

"Sin embargo, se advirtió que la baja calidad de la fuente de alimentación puede provocar daños en los componentes de otros"

:D

Haha I frankly agree. Muy bueno!

Unregisteredd11561a2
  • Unregisteredd11561a2
  • Master

• PipPipPipPip
  • posts 3,298

Posted 08 September 2012 - 08:28 PM

Updated TomSahz, hopefully that all makes sense.

TomSahz
  • TomSahz
  • Master

• PipPipPipPip
  • posts 2,915

Posted 09 September 2012 - 10:36 AM

$1,500 list links to $1000 list, just noticed. Excellent job, thanks for this!

Unregisteredd11561a2
  • Unregisteredd11561a2
  • Master

• PipPipPipPip
  • posts 3,298

Posted 09 September 2012 - 02:50 PM

Thanks, it's fixed now. Hopefully that is the only screw up...

William4037
  • William4037
  • Wannabe

• Pip
  • posts 36

Posted 09 September 2012 - 06:04 PM

Here my $1512 option if it was me here

jtchal
  • jtchal
  • Addicted

• PipPipPipPip
  • posts 1,125

Posted 09 September 2012 - 07:30 PM

Here my $1512 option if it was me here

I think there's an incompatibility issue with the motherboard (intel socket) and CPU (AMD bulldozer chip).
Would be a powerful gaming machine with that HD 7950 Graphics card though :)
One more option, I don't know whether AcBel make very good power supplies, if it was me I would consider Seasonic, Antec and Corsair power supplies just to be on the safe side.
  • TomSahz, lvmarv, LinuxUser and 1 other like this

- Battlelog -
 | Corsair AX650 | InWin 904 | Corsair H100i | And not much else at the moment...

TomSahz
  • TomSahz
  • Master

• PipPipPipPip
  • posts 2,915

Posted 09 September 2012 - 07:41 PM

Yeah the motherboard is a Z77 chipset for Socket 1155 processors from intel. You need to get a socket AM3+ motherboard.

lvmarv
  • lvmarv
  • Apprentice

• PipPipPip
  • posts 644

Posted 09 September 2012 - 07:49 PM

Surely you wouldn't spend $1500 on a PC these days and not have a SSD?

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asrock Steel Legend B450 | 16GB Kingston Hyper X Fury 3200mhz DDR4 | Sapphire Nitro+ 6700XT | Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB | Crucial MX500 1TB | Corsair HX1050W | Silverstone PM01

Ryzen 7 5800x | Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo 3600mhz DDR4  | PNY XLR8 RTX3080 | Samsung 970 Evo 500GB | Samsung 850 Evo 1TB | eVGA Supernova P2 850W | Lian Li PC-011 Dynamic

Unregisteredd11561a2
  • Unregisteredd11561a2
  • Master

• PipPipPipPip
  • posts 3,298

Posted 09 September 2012 - 07:58 PM

William... Bro just go for the $1,500 list up top. That list would frankly just destroy any game!

Try not to use that word. Tom.

Edited by Unregisteredd11561a2, 09 September 2012 - 08:33 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users