• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

ChairmanDrew
  • ChairmanDrew
  • Apprentice

• PipPipPip
  • posts 557

Posted 07 April 2016 - 08:27 PM

My Moto G 2 has had a hard life the last few months. It got dropped at a couple of points, so now has quite extensive cracks and chips on the glass, but has continued to work flawlessly up until just recently. Sometimes swiping the screen will not work at all, but the thing is at other times it will work fine, particularly if I turn the device off and on again. But even then, it will just be a matter of time before it becomes unresponsive again.

So my main question is, will getting the screen fixed even solve the sort of problems I'm experiencing? Because the lowest amount I've had quoted is upwards of $100, and that seems like too much to spend on a phone of this value. But at the same time, I'm pretty skint, and the Moto G has served me just well enough, so not looking necessarily to upgrade just yet anyway. I've also looked at videos of how to DIY, but decided its way too much of a pain in the arse, besides not having all of the required tools at hand.

Any experts/advice?

Sapphire HD 7970, i7 3770, 12gb Kingston HyperX, Asrock B75 Pro3-M, Intel 530 SSD 120gb

LinuxUser
  • LinuxUser
  • PriceSpy

• posts 9,005

Posted 07 April 2016 - 09:11 PM

Probably. If it isn't the screen it'll be software, and I'm pretty sure you can put CyanogenMod or a different ROM on it if you want.

Replacing it yourself shouldn't be too bad. I highly doubt you actually require any tools you don't have. You've probably got appropriate screwdrivers, and other than that the only tool you might actually need is something to heat up glue – for which a hair dryer may well work if you take your time. Unless it is constructed differently than I'm expecting, which is unlikely for a phone of that price.

Recommended Power Supplies Recommended review sites Why stores shouldn't be removed RAM voltage

i5 7400, Gigabyte GA-B250M-D3H, 16 GB DDR4, integrated graphics, Adata XPG SX8200 480 GB (NVMe), 3x Kingston SSDNow KC380 120 GB, Corsair MX100 128 GB, Spinpoint F3 1TB HDD, DVD writer, all inside a wood case I built, Dell U2412M 24", U2311H 23" IPS and Philips 150B4 15" monitors, wood-bodied mouse, Dvorak keyboard, openSUSE Tumbleweed, Windows 8.1 Pro in a VB VM inside Linux

I may occasionally give advice regarding (consumer) law, but it is only my opinion based on my reading – I am not a lawyer.

Romans 3:23; 6:23; 5:8; 10:9-10,13

ChairmanDrew
  • ChairmanDrew
  • Apprentice

• PipPipPip
  • posts 557

Posted 07 April 2016 - 09:47 PM

Yeah, by tools I only really mean a hair dryer and a tiny screwdriver (I forget the exact size). A hairdryer I can probably borrow somewhere if I put my mind to it. I've actually already got the replacement glass, ordered from ebay for a few $. But watching videos of the process kind of took the steam out of wanting to attempt. But I guess at this point theres not too much to lose if something goes wrong.

But does it sound odd, that sometimes it works and other times not? Do you think it would have had anything to do with the Android update recently?

Sapphire HD 7970, i7 3770, 12gb Kingston HyperX, Asrock B75 Pro3-M, Intel 530 SSD 120gb

Republican
  • Republican
  • Apprentice

• PipPipPip
  • posts 316

Posted 07 April 2016 - 11:55 PM

I replaced a cracked g2 5inch screen, i have never tried to put new glass as it looks harder, i got a new screen for 68$, small torx screw driver is needed, the glass panel eventually lifted off the plastic and dust got in, its was just stuck with double sided sticky tape a heat gun so i put some ados glue to hold it together.

https://www.ifixit.c... Teardown/35956

ChairmanDrew
  • ChairmanDrew
  • Apprentice

• PipPipPip
  • posts 557

Posted 08 April 2016 - 03:25 AM

Cheers, yeah, I just bought the glass as it was all that was faulty as of a week or so ago. But I did see on the videos that I watched that it was probably a bit easier to replace the glass and digitizer as one. When my phone feels like playing ball again I'll try and give it a factory reset and see if that helps, otherwise at some point I'll probably just take a screwdriver and blow dryer to this thing and see if I can do it. Wont have too much to lose, and in the meantime I've got a crusty Lumia 635 from work that is functional enough.

LinuxUser
  • LinuxUser
  • PriceSpy

• posts 9,005

Posted 08 April 2016 - 09:14 AM

Yeah, by tools I only really mean a hair dryer and a tiny screwdriver (I forget the exact size). A hairdryer I can probably borrow somewhere if I put my mind to it. I've actually already got the replacement glass, ordered from ebay for a few $. But watching videos of the process kind of took the steam out of wanting to attempt. But I guess at this point theres not too much to lose if something goes wrong.

But does it sound odd, that sometimes it works and other times not? Do you think it would have had anything to do with the Android update recently?

Replacing just the glass will be significantly harder than other options, but if adequate it'd be far cheaper too. However, damaged glass is very unlikely to cause problems.

It is unusual that it sometimes works and other times doesn't, and it could definitely be to do with an update.

Cheers, yeah, I just bought the glass as it was all that was faulty as of a week or so ago. But I did see on the videos that I watched that it was probably a bit easier to replace the glass and digitizer as one. When my phone feels like playing ball again I'll try and give it a factory reset and see if that helps, otherwise at some point I'll probably just take a screwdriver and blow dryer to this thing and see if I can do it. Wont have too much to lose, and in the meantime I've got a crusty Lumia 635 from work that is functional enough.

It'd be even easier replacing the entire screen assembly, but cost even more (probably what Republican did, for that kind of price).

The factory reset may help, but I'd personally install CyanogenMod to make sure. Or check in case there are any more updates!

Recommended Power Supplies Recommended review sites Why stores shouldn't be removed RAM voltage

i5 7400, Gigabyte GA-B250M-D3H, 16 GB DDR4, integrated graphics, Adata XPG SX8200 480 GB (NVMe), 3x Kingston SSDNow KC380 120 GB, Corsair MX100 128 GB, Spinpoint F3 1TB HDD, DVD writer, all inside a wood case I built, Dell U2412M 24", U2311H 23" IPS and Philips 150B4 15" monitors, wood-bodied mouse, Dvorak keyboard, openSUSE Tumbleweed, Windows 8.1 Pro in a VB VM inside Linux

I may occasionally give advice regarding (consumer) law, but it is only my opinion based on my reading – I am not a lawyer.

Romans 3:23; 6:23; 5:8; 10:9-10,13

ChairmanDrew
  • ChairmanDrew
  • Apprentice

• PipPipPip
  • posts 557

Posted 08 April 2016 - 01:35 PM

Should have been an obvious fix from the start, but I gave it a factory reset and it seems to be working fine now. Would still be nice to try and replace the glass sometime, but maybe I'll wait until things are critical, or I have some extra $ for a replacement phone should something go horribly wrong.

• LinuxUser likes this

ChairmanDrew
  • ChairmanDrew
  • Apprentice

• PipPipPip
  • posts 557

Posted 09 April 2016 - 12:54 AM

Phone playing up again :( With developer tools on I can see where there pressure problems are. Guess its time to get out the screwdriver...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users