• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

RealOxygen
  • RealOxygen
  • Apprentice

• PipPipPip
  • posts 389

Posted 13 December 2015 - 02:09 PM

Looking for a great phone for under $700 that should (in theory) last a few years, and be the same (if not better than) my old Nexus 5.

I was looking at the Oneplus Two, but would like to hear some other recommendations.

Thoughts? Cheers.

jonovw
  • jonovw
  • Apprentice

• PipPipPip
  • posts 264

Posted 13 December 2015 - 02:54 PM

Nexus 5X.

• ryanc1256 likes this

pricekitty4427
  • pricekitty4427

• PipPip
  • posts 105

Posted 13 December 2015 - 05:54 PM

I agree. Nexus 5X.

ryanc1256
  • ryanc1256
  • Addicted

• PipPipPipPip
  • posts 1,258

Posted 13 December 2015 - 07:12 PM

or ask Google for this...

then you get a free Nexus P! 

hehe :P

Current build: intel i5 2500k | ati 7970 | 8gb RAM | seasonic 750 | Samsung Spin Disk 1TB | cooler master 690 ii advanced| 23.6" ViewSonic Monitor
Next build (2016 maybe): awesome parts :) (Is that better harleh)

battlelog :: My Nubish Github

RealOxygen
  • RealOxygen
  • Apprentice

• PipPipPip
  • posts 389

Posted 14 December 2015 - 08:49 AM

Nexus 5X.

The 5X has lesser specs and build quality than the Oneplus 2, and exceeds the budget anyways :P

or ask Google for this...

then you get a free Nexus P! 

hehe :P

Didn't know you were a CaptainSparklez fan ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Was actually looking at the Oneplus X, seems like a good cheaper phone.

Maeur1
  • Maeur1
  • Apprentice

• PipPipPip
  • posts 324

Posted 15 December 2015 - 02:57 PM

The 5X has lesser specs and build quality than the Oneplus 2, and exceeds the budget anyways :P

I dunno how much you are into the android scene of things, but you don't get a nexus device for its specs. You get a nexus device cause you want to get new android updates first, better support from Google, better compatibility with applications (as the nexus brand is considered the "developers" phone) and you get android how Google wanted it to be.

It used to be the case that this was the only way to get a phone that ran android decently, but nowadays, getting something with similar specs or better than a nexus, the phone will probably be fine.

On the other hand, the Oneplus X is pretty much a nexus 5 in a different shell. Tbh a nexus 5 is still pretty dam solid. I only upgraded to a 6P cause I wanted a bigger battery, and screen, and also wanted to check out the new fingerprint sensor. 

• benhanna and ryanc1256 like this

THE BEAST: I5 2500k | 8gb HyperX Blue | Gigabyte Z68AP-D3 | Sapphire Dual X R9 280X | FSP Group Aurum 600W | Antec DF-85 | Crucial M4 120gb SSD | 3x 1TB Hard Drives |

ryanc1256
  • ryanc1256
  • Addicted

• PipPipPipPip
  • posts 1,258

Posted 15 December 2015 - 05:44 PM

I'm not but it just popped up on my youtube feed lol

I dunno how much you are into the android scene of things, but you don't get a nexus device for its specs. You get a nexus device cause you want to get new android updates first, better support from Google, better compatibility with applications (as the nexus brand is considered the "developers" phone) and you get android how Google wanted it to be.

It used to be the case that this was the only way to get a phone that ran android decently, but nowadays, getting something with similar specs or better than a nexus, the phone will probably be fine.

On the other hand, the Oneplus X is pretty much a nexus 5 in a different shell. Tbh a nexus 5 is still pretty dam solid. I only upgraded to a 6P cause I wanted a bigger battery, and screen, and also wanted to check out the new fingerprint sensor. 

Totally agree! 

I still have my nexus 5 want to upgrade it but only because want to try new stuff lol...

but apart from that the nexus series is great!

Current build: intel i5 2500k | ati 7970 | 8gb RAM | seasonic 750 | Samsung Spin Disk 1TB | cooler master 690 ii advanced| 23.6" ViewSonic Monitor
Next build (2016 maybe): awesome parts :) (Is that better harleh)

battlelog :: My Nubish Github

RealOxygen
  • RealOxygen
  • Apprentice

• PipPipPip
  • posts 389

Posted 15 December 2015 - 05:53 PM

I really did consider the Nexus 5x simply for that reason, but it's over budget :L And after having a Nexus  for over a year I feel like the first statement of compatibility and support leaves quite a lot to be desired, given that the phone still caused me more issues than the awful apple trash I've owned in the past. Not sold on that one :P

I'm not too bothered about getting updates earlier either, especially since the state of my past Nexus device is far from capable of receiving updates early. If the phone doesn't have the build quality to have it last more than a year, then I'm not interested, especially since the phone I have was treated so damn well and still died on me. Hence why I would like to jump brands.

So consider the Nexus brands excluded, especially since I clearly stated a budget that that phone exceeds.

I'm not but it just popped up on my youtube feed lol

Nobody will judge you if you're secretly a Minecrafter ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Maeur1
  • Maeur1
  • Apprentice

• PipPipPip
  • posts 324

Posted 15 December 2015 - 07:23 PM

I really did consider the Nexus 5x simply for that reason, but it's over budget :L And after having a Nexus  for over a year I feel like the first statement of compatibility and support leaves quite a lot to be desired, given that the phone still caused me more issues than the awful apple trash I've owned in the past. Not sold on that one :P

I'm not too bothered about getting updates earlier either, especially since the state of my past Nexus device is far from capable of receiving updates early. If the phone doesn't have the build quality to have it last more than a year, then I'm not interested, especially since the phone I have was treated so damn well and still died on me. Hence why I would like to jump brands.

So consider the Nexus brands excluded, especially since I clearly stated a budget that that phone exceeds.

Nobody will judge you if you're secretly a Minecrafter ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

I know you said that nexus brands excluded, but another phone that might be in the budget could be a Nexus 6 (The motorola one) off amazon then youshoped here? I think it would be a bit of a upgrade in battery life, screen quality, camera quality, and general size (Although i dont know your preference when it comes to size, I am a big phone lover.)

For some non nexus choices, I have a friend with a Xiaomi Mi4/Mi4i, That thing has amazing build quality, and feels amazing in the hand (thanks to the metal). Also the Xiaomi Note could also be an option. As you have said, there is the OnePlus 2 or 1 depending on whether you need NFC or not. 

Another choice not heard of often is the Aclatel OneTouch Idol 3. Make sure to google the whole name otherwise you get some cheap low end phones that they make, but this one is the Snapdragon 615 one.

To rank these phones I have said in order that I would personally go for:

1. Nexus 6 (I like big phones and nexus ones)
  2. OnePlus 2 (I use NFC a lot, otherwise this would be first)
  3. Alcatel OneTouch Idol 3 (Big phone)
  4. Xiaomi Note
  5. Xiaomi Mi4 (Build quality is insane!)
  6. OnePlus 1
  7. Xiaomi Note (Haven't seen this one in real life, so Its down here)

Btw thats a personal preference, Anyone can have different views on it. One thing that I find is that if you google about any problems with any phone, you are gonna find a dozen people complaining. I find if something is made by a big company (LG, Motorola, Samsung) and you dont hear people complaining about it, its probably good. I kinda judge phones by how little complaints I head about them, rather than the amount of praise for them. I kinda ignore the praises, and check which has the least negatives.

EDIT: I should specify that the Mi4 and Mi4i are different phones, and I am talking about the Mi4, without the "i"

• ryanc1256 and RealOxygen like this

THE BEAST: I5 2500k | 8gb HyperX Blue | Gigabyte Z68AP-D3 | Sapphire Dual X R9 280X | FSP Group Aurum 600W | Antec DF-85 | Crucial M4 120gb SSD | 3x 1TB Hard Drives |

RealOxygen
  • RealOxygen
  • Apprentice

• PipPipPip
  • posts 389

Posted 15 December 2015 - 08:17 PM

Ended up going for the 64gb Oneplus Two, thanks so much for the recommendations!

• benhanna likes this

Maeur1
  • Maeur1
  • Apprentice

• PipPipPip
  • posts 324

Posted 15 December 2015 - 08:33 PM

Nice pick! Have fun with your little christmas prezzie! I'm sure you will enjoy it!

• ryanc1256 likes this

Republican
  • Republican
  • Apprentice

• PipPipPip
  • posts 316

Posted 18 December 2015 - 03:42 PM

I ended up getting the 5x and its pretty good, similar feel to the n5, the finger print scanner is excellent, less than a second to the home screen, good daily phone, even the specs are below expectations but I'm satisfied with the nexus and development

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users