• Please log in to reply
199 replies to this topic

LinuxUser
  • LinuxUser
  • PriceSpy

• posts 9,005

Posted 30 November 2010 - 11:51 AM

Can we have the filters back, please?

Recommended Power Supplies Recommended review sites Why stores shouldn't be removed RAM voltage

i5 7400, Gigabyte GA-B250M-D3H, 16 GB DDR4, integrated graphics, Adata XPG SX8200 480 GB (NVMe), 3x Kingston SSDNow KC380 120 GB, Corsair MX100 128 GB, Spinpoint F3 1TB HDD, DVD writer, all inside a wood case I built, Dell U2412M 24", U2311H 23" IPS and Philips 150B4 15" monitors, wood-bodied mouse, Dvorak keyboard, openSUSE Tumbleweed, Windows 8.1 Pro in a VB VM inside Linux

I may occasionally give advice regarding (consumer) law, but it is only my opinion based on my reading – I am not a lawyer.

Romans 3:23; 6:23; 5:8; 10:9-10,13

spiderm0nkey
  • spiderm0nkey
  • Amateur

• PipPip
  • posts 66

Posted 30 November 2010 - 02:46 PM

spider you could always ask in the forums with your budget and system parts and get advice from everyone else, but i see this way for ease of use. Besides pretty much all newly-released power supplies are 80+ these days.

Thing is that I know what I'm after, but because there are so many units, it's hard to sift through and remember which ones have the features and specs that I require, because not only do pretty much none of the power supplies have any detailed info listed, but again, there are no filters. Anyone who doesn't know anything about power supplies is going to get lost very quickly lol... And have to do a LOT of Googling!

ktn
  • ktn
  • Dev

• posts 17

Posted 30 November 2010 - 09:16 PM

Can we have the filters back, please?

Yes, we're working on it.

vrv8calais
  • vrv8calais
  • Rookie

• posts 1

Posted 01 December 2010 - 06:46 AM

They're working again, thanks for sorting it out quickly
Like most, I use the filters all of the time to target the
components I'm after.

Agent24
  • Agent24
  • Amateur

• PipPip
  • posts 62

Posted 10 December 2010 - 04:28 PM

Can we have the site back?

Nothing is showing up right now except for 48 wireless network adapters.

All the other categories have disappeared!!

Edited by Agent24, 10 December 2010 - 04:29 PM.

DividingByZero
  • DividingByZero

• PipPip
  • posts 185

Posted 10 December 2010 - 07:49 PM

Can we please edit our own reviews?

I tend to review something that I buy after I've been using it for a week. Sometimes though extended use shows the product to be better or worse performing/reliable/efficient than I originally thought.

I review stores after buying from them for the first time. I cannot change the review to reflect my experience returning a failed product or making subsequent purchases however.

Product reviews and store reviews would both benefit from allowing the author to edit them after further reflection or experience.

johanneshenrysson
  • johanneshenrysson

• posts 232

Posted 10 December 2010 - 07:58 PM

Can we please edit our own reviews?

I tend to review something that I buy after I've been using it for a week. Sometimes though extended use shows the product to be better or worse performing/reliable/efficient than I originally thought.

I review stores after buying from them for the first time. I cannot change the review to reflect my experience returning a failed product or making subsequent purchases however.

Product reviews and store reviews would both benefit from allowing the author to edit them after further reflection or experience.

Create a new review, and the old one will be removed.

TomSahz
  • TomSahz
  • Master

• PipPipPipPip
  • posts 2,903

Posted 12 December 2010 - 07:44 AM

Being able to edit reviews would certainly be helpful. for instance, if you buy something on the 1st of December and its the first time you've reviewed that particular store then you can write the review for that experience. But then later on it would helpful to be able to edit the review or perhaps insert more text into the review to update your dealings with a store from a purchase made on the 5th of December. So you would have something like:

"1/12/2010: [store review]
5/12/2010: [Another review]"

This way we could keep the format of having one review per person per store but it would be alot easier to update the reviews to reflect continued purchases instead of having to re write an entire review. What do you think Johannes?

johanneshenrysson
  • johanneshenrysson

• posts 232

Posted 13 December 2010 - 09:52 PM

Pardon for being a bit unclear. When entering a store that you already have reviewed, click on the textarea at the top (already filled with some text), and you'll get something similar to this (same goes for products):
https://www.minhembi...c_id=369438.jpg

Ps. Removed some admin buttons and info at the bottom...

TomSahz
  • TomSahz
  • Master

• PipPipPipPip
  • posts 2,903

Posted 14 December 2010 - 08:48 AM

Hello Johannes,

Does that mean we can already 'edit' or update reviews?

I just tried to go to a product that I know i've reviewed before but it seems to be missing. The game 'Bioshock' for PC. All i can find is Bioshock 2 and Bioshock for 360/PS3/Mac.

johanneshenrysson
  • johanneshenrysson

• posts 232

Posted 14 December 2010 - 09:13 PM

Yes, it is already possible to edit/update reviews.

Sorry, the product is not available on PriceSpy as no stores are currently selling Bioshock for PC.

Agent24
  • Agent24
  • Amateur

• PipPip
  • posts 62

Posted 18 December 2010 - 09:29 PM

Can't think of anything at the moment, just make sure you keep trying to make the site run as fast as possible.

In older browsers and slower computers it can be a bit annoying trying to do anything.

TomSahz
  • TomSahz
  • Master

• PipPipPipPip
  • posts 2,903

Posted 19 December 2010 - 07:30 AM

Can't think of anything at the moment, just make sure you keep trying to make the site run as fast as possible.

In older browsers and slower computers it can be a bit annoying trying to do anything.

Theres definitely always a benefit to improving speed. Do the developers work on improving performance often? I have noticed slightly more speed since the new site was released but I think it would be nice to higher performance for people running lower specced machines (and looking on here for parts to upgrade!). It would be perfect to have the speed of the mobile site combined with the features and interface of the new site.

22367rh
  • 22367rh
  • Amateur

• PipPip
  • posts 52

Posted 31 January 2011 - 08:06 AM

Could we possibly get a side-bar section (like the Price Alerts) that informs us of the current value of a set of lists we have made?

Maybe even have it whereby you can select 5 lists to track so that we can at a glance see the prices of our upcoming builds.

johanneshenrysson
  • johanneshenrysson

• posts 232

Posted 01 February 2011 - 01:00 AM

Could we possibly get a side-bar section (like the Price Alerts) that informs us of the current value of a set of lists we have made?

Maybe even have it whereby you can select 5 lists to track so that we can at a glance see the prices of our upcoming builds.

I'm sorry, I don't really understand. Please explain it further.

22367rh
  • 22367rh
  • Amateur

• PipPip
  • posts 52

Posted 01 February 2011 - 09:55 AM

Like this: Posted Image

Went to the effort of saving main page & tweaking it to show how it could look :)

Lists in screen shot are to (in order):
https://pricespy.co....o=lista&k=28927 (public version)
https://pricespy.co....o=lista&k=25959 (public version)
https://pricespy.co....php?a=VIA&k=156

johanneshenrysson
  • johanneshenrysson

• posts 232

Posted 01 February 2011 - 09:19 PM

Thanks, now I get it. It looks interesting. I don't think that we will change anything right now, but we'll keep it in mind for coming updates.

22367rh
  • 22367rh
  • Amateur

• PipPip
  • posts 52

Posted 01 February 2011 - 10:18 PM

Also another suggestion: how about a 'related products' style system that would allow a user to 'upgrade/downgrade' a given part and have it list the savings/cost for each action.

Eg:
Part: Western Digital Caviar Green WD15EARS 64MB 1.5TB
Price: $102.35

Downgrade Capacity
Part: Western Digital Caviar Green WD10EARS 64MB 1TB
Price: $85.76 (Save $16.59)

Upgrade Capacity
Part: Western Digital Caviar Green WD20EARS 64MB 2TB
Price: $142.23 (Cost: $39.88)

Would this be too complicated with the web of possible upgrades?
eg: with hard drives you'd have main upgrades being Capacity, Rotational Speed & Cache Size.

If so it could make for a good GreaseMonkey add-on or offline program.

Edited by 22367rh, 01 February 2011 - 10:18 PM.

johanneshenrysson
  • johanneshenrysson

• posts 232

Posted 03 February 2011 - 10:13 PM

Another interesting suggestion. This is a bit complicated though.

We are working on other features which are quite complicated as well, and use similar thinking. However we have been working on this for some time now, and it is still a bit too complicated. The hard part is to get a suggestion that actually is correct and fit the user.

If we use the example above, what matters to the user? Maybe I wan't a upgrade with a specific speed, but the capacity may vary. Or maybe I want a specific capacity, while the speed doesn't matter.
Even if we know which properties that matters, do the user want a specific brand, or maybe a specific serie.

To make it even more complicated, in other categories you may have to think about compatibility.

I would say that if we manage to create a working feature for compatibility (for instance automatically pick all parts needed for a computer), this feature will be very close to release as well. But for now I can only recommend using the filters to get possible upgrades/downgrades.

Edited by johanneshenrysson, 03 February 2011 - 10:14 PM.

LinuxUser
  • LinuxUser
  • PriceSpy

• posts 9,005

Posted 26 March 2011 - 05:04 PM

A suggestion for the filters: make it possible to select if you want features A and B or if you want A or B (inclusive OR, so accepts both). For example, select that a graphics card that has DVI and HDMI, or select that it must have at least one of the two. I realise that could be difficult, but one way of achieving that which would be easier would be to basically allow the user to enter a query somewhat like SQL (possibly would be, but very simplified/restricted).

Another suggestion is to be able to sort by price but only for those stores selected in the filters.

Yet another suggestion is to have a button to automatically select all/none of the filter options for filters with lots of options (e.g. stores), so that you can select all but one or two easily.

And what about an option to include results where the info filtered for is not known? e.g. if you select that a monitor needs HDMI, you can choose whether to see only monitors listed as having a HDMI port, or to see all monitors for which it is not known that they don't have it. Yet another way of putting it would be to choose if it must be known to have it, or if it must not be known to not have it.

I hope all this makes sense!

Edited by LinuxUser, 26 March 2011 - 05:10 PM.

Recommended Power Supplies Recommended review sites Why stores shouldn't be removed RAM voltage

i5 7400, Gigabyte GA-B250M-D3H, 16 GB DDR4, integrated graphics, Adata XPG SX8200 480 GB (NVMe), 3x Kingston SSDNow KC380 120 GB, Corsair MX100 128 GB, Spinpoint F3 1TB HDD, DVD writer, all inside a wood case I built, Dell U2412M 24", U2311H 23" IPS and Philips 150B4 15" monitors, wood-bodied mouse, Dvorak keyboard, openSUSE Tumbleweed, Windows 8.1 Pro in a VB VM inside Linux

I may occasionally give advice regarding (consumer) law, but it is only my opinion based on my reading – I am not a lawyer.

johanneshenrysson
  • johanneshenrysson

• posts 232

Posted 26 March 2011 - 08:02 PM

A suggestion for the filters: make it possible to select if you want features A and B or if you want A or B (inclusive OR, so accepts both). For ...

Thanks, I think that your suggestions sounds very interesting! I know that we have been debating some of them already, but been unable to create them due to performance etc.

However as both hardware and the site itself develops, it may be just right to bring them up for discussion again.

PCGamer
  • PCGamer
  • Apprentice

• PipPipPip
  • posts 439

Posted 23 April 2011 - 04:18 PM

i wish products that had been on pricespy for under a month were labeled new.

TomSahz
  • TomSahz
  • Master

• PipPipPipPip
  • posts 2,903

Posted 24 April 2011 - 04:03 PM

i wish products that had been on pricespy for under a month were labeled new.

Sounds like a useful feature, cant be too hard to implement.

sparkkid
  • sparkkid
  • Rookie

• posts 1

Posted 17 May 2011 - 07:33 PM

Hi There,

Just a quick suggestion, I am not sure if this has been suggested before or not but I personally have about 8 price alerts most of which send me emails daily.

Would it be possible to add an option to the price alerts system so that you can have the option of just 1 single daily email with all of you price alerts on it
sort of like Trademe's new daily listings emails if you know what I mean.

PCGamer
  • PCGamer
  • Apprentice

• PipPipPip
  • posts 439

Posted 22 May 2011 - 07:06 PM

like the Swedish site could be have a forum page for each product to discuss and query it.

Keyvee
  • Keyvee
  • Wannabe

• Pip
  • posts 12

Posted 11 June 2011 - 07:36 PM

I'm checking every few days to see any price differences in my product list. Right now the total cost of all parts is $1,273.44. Tomorrow it might have dropped a couple of bucks to $1,271.96.

Is there a way to see the history of prices for a product list (in the same way you can for a component) to see a price trend for the overall cost of the build?

This might aleady exist and I'm just blind otherwise it might be a handy feature for the future.

Cheers

LinuxUser
  • LinuxUser
  • PriceSpy

• posts 9,005

Posted 11 June 2011 - 09:20 PM

I'm checking every few days to see any price differences in my product list. Right now the total cost of all parts is $1,273.44. Tomorrow it might have dropped a couple of bucks to $1,271.96.

Is there a way to see the history of prices for a product list (in the same way you can for a component) to see a price trend for the overall cost of the build?

This might aleady exist and I'm just blind otherwise it might be a handy feature for the future.

Cheers

Moved to Functionality Requests.

No, that feature doesn't exist. Hence why I moved it. It is a good idea, and so would be price alerts for the list.

Another idea of my own (just now):
In the links at the bottom of the forum pages, make it so that the whole box (not just the number) works as a link. I got this to work by changing (using Firebug in Firefox)
<span class=&#34;pagelink&#34;><a title=&#34;2&#34; href=&#34;http&#58;//pricespy.co.nz/forum/index.php?showtopic=590&st=30&#34;>&gt;</a></span>
to
<a class=&#34;pagelink&#34; title=&#34;Next page&#34; href=&#34;http&#58;//pricespy.co.nz/forum/index.php?showtopic=590&st=30&#34; style=&#34;padding-left&#58; 15px !important; margin-left&#58; 3px;&#34;>></a>
Of course, the styles could go in the external stylesheet, and the "!important" is only necessary to override the existing style for padding (which uses "!important").

TomSahz
  • TomSahz
  • Master

• PipPipPipPip
  • posts 2,903

Posted 14 June 2011 - 01:51 PM

Woah thats crazy, when I clicked on the 'page 2' button to see the newest reply to this thread I was thinking "maybe Ill ask for the entire box not just the number to be linked to linking the next page"

:)

LinuxUser
  • LinuxUser
  • PriceSpy

• posts 9,005

Posted 14 June 2011 - 02:44 PM

Woah thats crazy, when I clicked on the 'page 2' button to see the newest reply to this thread I was thinking "maybe Ill ask for the entire box not just the number to be linked to linking the next page"

:)

:) Great minds think alike, or so I've been told!

LinuxUser
  • LinuxUser
  • PriceSpy

• posts 9,005

Posted 14 June 2011 - 09:17 PM

What about having posts made through the comment facility of a public list counted along with forum posts (they are listed in the users' forum profile under Posts, but not in the posts: count, as far as I know), especially seeing that if they are made from the forum they do count.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users