• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

Broxx
  • Broxx

• PipPip
  • posts 103

Posted 07 June 2011 - 02:40 PM

Hey guys,

I have been trying to find a site for ages regarding the Broadband speed provided by each ISP. I know there are other factors that influence the line-speed eg. Distance from the exchange, Hardware etc. There are sites such as www.speedtest.net which adds together all the Bandwidth and gives an estimate of Downloads and Uploads available but it only gives you an average compared to all NZ household and is not specific eg What is the average speed during peak hrs, which ISP has the highest rating, It does not provide any of this info.
So reason why I am here is because me and my flatmates want to change our ISP and we want to find the best option available as possible as our current Provider is just not cutting it. So if its not that big of hassle it would be very helpful if you could fill out the template like mine in providing valuable info about your ISP. It would make our Decision making alot easier.

Please select the Auckland server when doing the speedtest:
www.speedtest.net

ISP: Slingshot
Plan: All you can eat
Data usage: Unlimited
Cost p/month: $80 + $49 for Landline
Offpeak : Not valid, its unlimited.
Traffic Shaped: Yes, Priority based.
Would you recommend your ISP to others?: NO
Offpeak
Posted Image
Peak Hours(3pm-12pm)
Posted Image

Pros: Unlimited, We are heavy net users averaging around 450-550GB a Month. Very good for streaming have never seen Youtube circle thingy when loading video. Usually around 1MBps or higher HTTP downloads no matter what time of the day. Fairly good torrent speeds. Very bad for MMORPG's, very good for FPS.

Cons: Worse customer service ever, Forced to play online games after Midnight to get playable Latency, not stable keep getting Disconnected, recognizes filehosting sites such as Rapidshare, Megaupload as p2p downloads, Free modem provided has no advanced controls for QoS, too expensive.

Only reason why I'm still with these guys is because they are the only ISP providing the Unlimited plan atm and I only pay $21.50 p/mnth (split 6 ways)

Thank you for your time.

Edited by Broxx, 08 June 2011 - 11:31 PM.

lazeraptor
  • lazeraptor
  • Apprentice

• PipPipPip
  • posts 349

Posted 07 June 2011 - 03:09 PM

Orcon, The cheapest plan available and decent speeds.
Local:
Posted Image

This is taken from a g wireless network.
Will be between 7-10Mb/s pretty consistently.
Gaming on NZ/Oz servers is fine.
Though have had a couple of occasions when speeds drop down to 256Kb/s for half an hour and then be back to normal.
Paying $70 a month for 30GB + a phoneline. Excess data is $2 a GB. Split between 4 of us in the flat, works out to be ~$4 a week. I personally only use about 15Gb a month. As I generally avoid torrenting anything and try to save bandwidth by copying files from games that I buy on steam off other people.

The one time I did ring customer service when we had trouble connecting, they seemed alright. Sent a guy from Chorus around and he seemed to fix the problem.

International speeds:
Sydney-
Posted Image
LA-
Posted Image

Youtube loads without needing to wait for a buffer, though it does struggle on anything higher then 480p.
Steam usually downloads at about 1MB/s.

Would I recommend? For the average user, Yes. Although Telecom is faster, for what you are paying it doesn't really bother me that I could be downloading stuff faster.

Edited by lazeraptor, 07 June 2011 - 03:25 PM.

Broxx
  • Broxx

• PipPip
  • posts 103

Posted 07 June 2011 - 03:46 PM

In datacap plans there is no priority put in place, yes? This would fix our problem greatly as Gaming is in the bottom Tier with P2P with my plan. When we signed up we were advised this was the plan for gaming and ever since then slingshot has just been contradicting themselves everytime we call up customer service. I'm serious with the trouble they have caused me and my flatmates I was very close to calling FAIRGO.

Btw thats fairly good speed for LA server, will upload mine when I get home.

Edited by Broxx, 07 June 2011 - 04:06 PM.

tbonesteak
  • tbonesteak
  • Apprentice

• PipPipPip
  • posts 329

Posted 07 June 2011 - 04:22 PM

ISP: Telecom
Plan: Total Home
Data usage: 40gb
Cost p/month: $115 ( including landline )
Capped Speed: ~30kbytes/s
Traffic Shaped: No, only reduced speeds during heavy load.
Would you recommend your ISP to others?: Sort of, they're scammers tbh ( somehow I downloaded 2gb in a day when I had the router off... )

Posted Image

Get's to 15MBits/Sec at night. ( Never got these speeds before upgrading my router to a industry standard router, Linksys N+++ )

lolpwnt
  • lolpwnt
  • Wannabe

• Pip
  • posts 20

Posted 07 June 2011 - 04:23 PM

ISP: Vodaphone
Data usage: 10GB
Traffic Shaped: No
Would you recommend your ISP to others?: Location dependent

Posted Image

Was on telecom unlimited until it was no longer available and was getting better speeds than this (download 2.5 upload 0.8 but a ping of 36)

EDIT: I seem to be winning (currently) with both speed and ping but the difference when i changed plans was noticeable and looking to change again soon

Edited by lolpwnt, 07 June 2011 - 04:31 PM.

Broxx
  • Broxx

• PipPip
  • posts 103

Posted 07 June 2011 - 04:43 PM

WoW I'm amazed, I have never seen speeds above 11Mbps in my life. Tbone How much for just the Broadband? lolpwnt your net is just unbelievable, that 10GB usage would be gone in 5hrs at my flat with that speed. I'm curious as to how much your plan cost?

Also I never knew a quality modem made that big of a difference. Seems like a good investment instead of the cheap mass-produced free handouts.

lolpwnt
  • lolpwnt
  • Wannabe

• Pip
  • posts 20

Posted 07 June 2011 - 04:47 PM

Thought some other locations would be nice
Sydney:
Posted Image
Miami:
Posted Image
Tokyo:
Posted Image

tbonesteak
  • tbonesteak
  • Apprentice

• PipPipPip
  • posts 329

Posted 07 June 2011 - 04:49 PM

WoW I'm amazed, I have never seen speeds above 11Mbps in my life. Tbone How much for just the Broadband? lolpwnt your net is just unbelievable, that 10GB usage would be gone in 5hrs at my flat with that speed. I'm curious as to how much your plan cost?

Also I never knew a quality modem made that big of a difference. Seems like a good investment instead of the cheap mass-produced free handouts.

Without it's $81/month.

Total Home just works out about $12 cheaper than paying 2 seperate bills.

lolpwnt
  • lolpwnt
  • Wannabe

• Pip
  • posts 20

Posted 07 June 2011 - 04:53 PM

$53.24 a month for net and landline. I keep usage to a minimum until the end of the billing period then unleash the downloads usually get around 30GB on the last day. XD

My speeds are only that good as im 4 houses away form the green road side cabinet. Im using a free handout single port modem with a 8port switch so i dont think it makes much of a difference

ickarumba1
  • ickarumba1
  • Apprentice

• PipPipPip
  • posts 633

Posted 07 June 2011 - 05:04 PM

ISP: Telecom
Plan: Total Home 5GB double data
Data usage: 10GB
Cost p/month: $85 broadband and calling
Offpeak : Nope :(
Traffic Shaped: Nope
Would you recommend your ISP to others?: Not really

This plan is a bit lop-sided: I get really high speeds but almost no bandwidth. I've gotten 18 mbps from torrenting once.
I get reliable service and decent latency.
There is also no off-peak (none that I'm aware of anyway).

Broxx
  • Broxx

• PipPip
  • posts 103

Posted 07 June 2011 - 05:05 PM

$53.24 a month for net and landline. I keep usage to a minimum until the end of the billing period then unleash the downloads usually get around 30GB on the last day. XD

May actually recommend this plan for my parents, I would jump on it in a hearthbeat but I just cant see myself using below 40GB a month. We have even decided to setup a server-pc at my flat and store all of our "Open source" data on 2x2tb HDD, Hopefully this reduces our usage dramatically.

ArchSerpo
  • ArchSerpo
  • Addicted

• PipPipPipPip
  • posts 1,279

Posted 07 June 2011 - 07:18 PM

@Broxx im fairly sure ihug is part of vodafone now.

ISP: Actrix
Plan: Cyberjet Broadband
Data usage: 20GB + 2$/GB over
Cost p/month: $51.06 + 46 (homeline)
Offpeak : Nah
Traffic Shaped: Dont believe so
Would you recommend your ISP to others?: In my location no, dont have 2+ yet and my ping and download speeds show that. Actually did test it twice to see if 63 ping was correct..
Auckland:
Posted Image
Wellington:
Posted Image
Christchurch:
Posted Image
I live on the North Shore..
wait wtf? wheres my data being routed through? im on the north shore... same results with both auckland servers. More speedtest results and im getting 53 ping on wellington server, 63 on auckland servers... think I may have a little talk with Mr 0800 number

Edited by P1n3apqlExpr3ss, 07 June 2011 - 07:32 PM.

lolpwnt
  • lolpwnt
  • Wannabe

• Pip
  • posts 20

Posted 07 June 2011 - 07:31 PM

@Broxx im fairly sure ihug is part of vodafone now.

ISP: Actrix
Plan: Cyberjet Broadband
Data usage: 20GB + 2$/GB over
Cost p/month: $51.06 + 46 (homeline)
Offpeak : Nah
Traffic Shaped: Dont believe so
Would you recommend your ISP to others?: In my location no, dont have 2+ yet and my ping and download speeds show that. Actually did test it twice to see if 63 ping was correct..
Auckland:
Posted Image
Wellington:
Posted Image
wait wtf? wheres my data being routed through? im on the north shore... same results with both auckland servers. More speedtest results and im getting 53 ping on wellington server, 63 on auckland servers... think I may have a little talk with Mr 0800 number

LOL how do u get such bad speeds to Auckland server i live on the shore also and i get 4 times the speed as you

ArchSerpo
  • ArchSerpo
  • Addicted

• PipPipPipPip
  • posts 1,279

Posted 07 June 2011 - 07:33 PM

LOL how do u get such bad speeds to Auckland server i live on the shore also and i get 4 times the speed as you

I have no idea, although I dont have 2+ i was downloading music just sunday night at 500KB/s so confused right now, might ring my ISP

edit: for comparison sakes i get 140-150 ping on ON3 BC2 servers

Edited by P1n3apqlExpr3ss, 07 June 2011 - 07:34 PM.

lolpwnt
  • lolpwnt
  • Wannabe

• Pip
  • posts 20

Posted 07 June 2011 - 07:38 PM

Where you want the best connection to is Napier as thats where NZ connects with the rest of the world (i think could be wrong)
Posted Image

ArchSerpo
  • ArchSerpo
  • Addicted

• PipPipPipPip
  • posts 1,279

Posted 07 June 2011 - 07:42 PM

Heres the napier result, i think youre right about that as well, i think theres another point around wellington and/or chch?
Posted Image

Broxx
  • Broxx

• PipPip
  • posts 103

Posted 07 June 2011 - 08:33 PM

Auckland:
Posted Image
Wellington:
Posted Image
Christchurch:
Posted Image

Your net is fine, I get around the same speed during this time. lolpwnt your 1 lucky man to get that speed during this peak hr.

ArchSerpo
  • ArchSerpo
  • Addicted

• PipPipPipPip
  • posts 1,279

Posted 07 June 2011 - 08:38 PM

Your net is fine, I get around the same speed during this time. lolpwnt your 1 lucky man to get that speed during this peak hr.

Im talking about the pings and distance to server parts, not so much the speeds

lolpwnt
  • lolpwnt
  • Wannabe

• Pip
  • posts 20

Posted 08 June 2011 - 10:46 AM

It seemed that i was getting slightly faster speeds today so I tried again
Posted Image

ArchSerpo
  • ArchSerpo
  • Addicted

• PipPipPipPip
  • posts 1,279

Posted 08 June 2011 - 05:53 PM

Posted Image

Server distance thing seems to have figured itself out. HOWEVER today im getting a different ISP? Yesterday it was NZGATE Aggregate Networks and today it is ITNET? How is that explained?

Also how is my ping better to wellington than auckland? 53 to welly vs 63~ to auck

ArchSerpo
  • ArchSerpo
  • Addicted

• PipPipPipPip
  • posts 1,279

Posted 12 July 2011 - 08:43 PM

Update: Just ran a few tests again to see whats going on and apparently my IP is in the hamilton area: http://whatismyipadd...ip/203.96.56.29
Got a friend to do it with theirs and theyre located within the red circle thing..

Broxx
  • Broxx

• PipPip
  • posts 103

Posted 12 July 2011 - 09:34 PM

Update: Just ran a few tests again to see whats going on and apparently my IP is in the hamilton area: http://whatismyipadd...ip/203.96.56.29
Got a friend to do it with theirs and theyre located within the red circle thing..

I just did my IP from my Parents place in Hamilton and got Auckland. I asked Orcon and they said it is done for security reasons, for example When you go on a website your ip will appear to that web site for example as 64.129.168.27 and at your actual external ip will be 129.64.18.02.

Test at rents place, Orcon ISP.(wireless)
Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Broxx, 12 July 2011 - 09:40 PM.

larzyy
  • larzyy
  • Wannabe

• Pip
  • posts 47

Posted 12 July 2011 - 09:41 PM

I live on the North Shore too, on Telecom total home. 20GB. A friend of mine down the road on the same plan gets up to 26 download(rarely)and usually around 18.

Attached Files

Broxx
  • Broxx

• PipPip
  • posts 103

Posted 12 July 2011 - 09:44 PM

I live on the North Shore too, on Telecom total home. 20GB. A friend of mine down the road on the same plan gets up to 26 download(rarely)and usually around 18.

He is most likely closer to the exchange then you.

Edited by Broxx, 12 July 2011 - 09:45 PM.

ArchSerpo
  • ArchSerpo
  • Addicted

• PipPipPipPip
  • posts 1,279

Posted 12 July 2011 - 09:47 PM

Hmmm still odd, either way sent a message ISPs way and see what they say

larzyy
  • larzyy
  • Wannabe

• Pip
  • posts 47

Posted 12 July 2011 - 09:48 PM

I think the problem may be the cables. No matter at what time of the day, or on what device I use our internet it's always 12-13...what could I do to improve my speeds? Router is ADSL2+ (standard telecom router)

Broxx
  • Broxx

• PipPip
  • posts 103

Posted 12 July 2011 - 09:59 PM

Your speeds are fine as it is. But may make a slight difference if you upgrade to a quality Modem such as https://pricespy.co....ct.php?p=522123 my friend owns it and his speed increased by 2Mbps but he always complains about the very poor wireless strength. Other than that i highly doubt anythings wrong with the wiring.

larzyy
  • larzyy
  • Wannabe

• Pip
  • posts 47

Posted 12 July 2011 - 10:08 PM

Yeah, we bought that exact modem and it didn't make a difference, unfortunately. And since I mainly use wireless, it wasn't the right modem for me. I wish telecom still had their big time plan...

Broxx
  • Broxx

• PipPip
  • posts 103

Posted 12 July 2011 - 10:17 PM

Can you find out your actual line speed rate? can be found in your router settings.
Also I am curious as to how your mate can get 26Mbps when ADSL2+ maximum download speed is 24Mbps. Maybe he has got UFB?

Edited by Broxx, 12 July 2011 - 10:23 PM.

larzyy
  • larzyy
  • Wannabe

• Pip
  • posts 47

Posted 12 July 2011 - 10:23 PM

That'd be interesting to see, if the problem is the line or the modem, or if they're capping us.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users