• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

ogman
  • ogman
  • Rookie

• posts 3

Posted 02 September 2010 - 12:10 AM

Hi all,

Im new to here and need some help in regards to getting a new gaming PC for me. :D

My budget at maximum is about 2-3k.

Reason is I bought my PC about 3 years ago and I spent that much and it has lasted me this long with out any issues what so ever (reason I need a new one is I am giving my old one to the wife).... so with that in mind I wanted to do the same this time around and get something descent so it will last me another 3 odd years :D

This PC will be purely for gaming. And the usual checking emails and streaming movies etc which i don't think uses up that much resources.

I don't know what I need since there is i3, i5, i6, i7, quad cores lol very confusing. But just to give you an Idea I play multi player online games only (e.g WoW, Lineage 2 etc).

Anyways If you can give me some feedback in regards to parts or point me in the right direction it will be great :)

Thx

Unregistered7d0f9e12
  • Unregistered7d0f9e12
  • Rookie

• posts 1

Posted 02 September 2010 - 07:15 AM

if your using it for games high quality parts are waht you will need.

the i3, i5,i7 are jsut nameing conventions for Intel cpu's .

first off all do you want an intel or AMD based PC?

lazeraptor
  • lazeraptor
  • Apprentice

• PipPipPip
  • posts 349

Posted 02 September 2010 - 10:37 AM

Something like this: https://pricespy.co....eraptor&k=17659 would definitely do you well for a gaming PC.

krishant007
  • krishant007

• PipPip
  • posts 219

Posted 02 September 2010 - 01:19 PM

that rig is good, but i think its a bit excessive for your use ogman.. i would just knock out a couple of the components such as the extra gpu, the headset, get a lower power supply (550 should be enough and that is about 90 bucks for a good coolermaster one) and perhaps a cheaper case,

i personally wouldnt pay more than 120 or 150 max for a case.. i dont go for looks too much, more functionality, but some of these cases have really good cooling and airflow so they would keep the computer cool, but if your comps in a bit of open space, then it shud be fine, plus you dont need really good cooling if your not gonna overclock or something (im assuming)..

i myself have a dell 410 tower which is really big and i have got 3 hdds in there, 550 watt power supply, 8800gt gpu and a q6600 quad core, the temps that i am getting is about 80 degrees when im pushing it quite a bit, the fans kick in, cools it down.. so thats all good, the comp is stashed in the corner as well so its not very well ventilated, but that doesnt give me too many issues. the fans do get loud, but thats only during gaming and i cant really hear them behind the bullet sounds :D

soo moral of the story, you dont really need a very good case for airflow etc unless you are overclocking etc. so u can save some money there.

also, im assuming you have a keyboard and mouse so dont need to get those... oh, that list has 2 1tb hdd, so u can only get 1 or 2 if you gona store heaps of movies :D

hope that helps.

DividingByZero
  • DividingByZero

• PipPip
  • posts 185

Posted 02 September 2010 - 01:21 PM

The list a couple of posts up is a good start.

Rather than spending $800 on SLI'd graphics cards you could just get an HD5850 for less than $500. You can then save on a PSU as a 500-600W one would do (I'd go for a Corsair HX520). The money you save that way could be spent getting a better monitor or even more of them (1920x1200 monitors are much nicer for gaming for example).

As for AMD or Intel, it really only depends on what you want to spend on a processor. The i5 in the above list is what I'd go for at that price point. If you wanted to spend less then the AMD Phenom IIs perform very well and are cheaper. You would then need a socket AM3 motherboard, which are cheaper than the LGA1156 (i5 CPUs) ones.

I agree with the above post on cases, it really is personal preference. Just get a decent one that you like the looks of. It doesn't need to be expensive.

Edited by DividingByZero, 02 September 2010 - 01:24 PM.

krishant007
  • krishant007

• PipPip
  • posts 219

Posted 02 September 2010 - 01:29 PM

oh, you mentioned that you play MMO games, so you dont need intense grafix for that. the gtx460 would be more than enuf for that.. even you can drop it to a ati 5770 or 5750 for MMO games.

Unless you do hardcore gaming like Crysis or one of those Gpu intense games, then go for the gtx460 or 5850 which is a bit better than the gtx.

but for mmo games, you dont need the top gpus or something..

ogman
  • ogman
  • Rookie

• posts 3

Posted 02 September 2010 - 04:14 PM

if your using it for games high quality parts are waht you will need.

the i3, i5,i7 are jsut nameing conventions for Intel cpu's .

first off all do you want an intel or AMD based PC?

Well I have always had intel so I want to stick with that :D

that rig is good, but i think its a bit excessive for your use ogman.. i would just knock out a couple of the components such as the extra gpu, the headset, get a lower power supply (550 should be enough and that is about 90 bucks for a good coolermaster one) and perhaps a cheaper case,

i personally wouldnt pay more than 120 or 150 max for a case.. i dont go for looks too much, more functionality, but some of these cases have really good cooling and airflow so they would keep the computer cool, but if your comps in a bit of open space, then it shud be fine, plus you dont need really good cooling if your not gonna overclock or something (im assuming)..

i myself have a dell 410 tower which is really big and i have got 3 hdds in there, 550 watt power supply, 8800gt gpu and a q6600 quad core, the temps that i am getting is about 80 degrees when im pushing it quite a bit, the fans kick in, cools it down.. so thats all good, the comp is stashed in the corner as well so its not very well ventilated, but that doesnt give me too many issues. the fans do get loud, but thats only during gaming and i cant really hear them behind the bullet sounds :)

soo moral of the story, you dont really need a very good case for airflow etc unless you are overclocking etc. so u can save some money there.

also, im assuming you have a keyboard and mouse so dont need to get those... oh, that list has 2 1tb hdd, so u can only get 1 or 2 if you gona store heaps of movies :D

hope that helps.

Yeah i agree my current case is a Kandalf Full tower, I think its thermal-take cause it says with flashing blue lights lol. Im not to fussed about the case either as I dont stare at the case as long as things run cool im happy.

oh, you mentioned that you play MMO games, so you dont need intense grafix for that. the gtx460 would be more than enuf for that.. even you can drop it to a ati 5770 or 5750 for MMO games.

Unless you do hardcore gaming like Crysis or one of those Gpu intense games, then go for the gtx460 or 5850 which is a bit better than the gtx.

but for mmo games, you dont need the top gpus or something..

I thought that It needs to be high end? Since it does that Antialiasing or something? And I want to play games in High currently i have to put it to low so It doesn't lag.. :D

Edited by ogman, 02 September 2010 - 04:12 PM.

dr spock
  • dr spock

• PipPip
  • posts 205

Posted 02 September 2010 - 06:16 PM

MMO's aren't very graphically demanding (they have to cater for lowest common denominator PC's).

Previous posters sum up most of the relevant points. You should also look though some of the other topics in this forum, there are plenty of "specs for a gaming PC" ones.

As a general rule, Intel systems have more raw power, but are more expensive than AMD. Gaming is a graphics bound task, so typically you can go for a cheaper AMD cpu/mobo and not sacrifice any gaming performance.

You can easily build a mid-range AMD gaming PC (that will play MMO's on high) for $2k including a monitor.

ogman
  • ogman
  • Rookie

• posts 3

Posted 02 September 2010 - 08:46 PM

Hi all,

Here is a build that I made going by you all and google :D

https://pricespy.co....age.php?a=ogman

thoughts?

Daniel1236
  • Daniel1236
  • Amateur

• PipPip
  • posts 66

Posted 02 September 2010 - 09:24 PM

https://pricespy.co....iel1236&k=21095
Build i just did that should meet all your needs and more, even if its doesn't you can always go get another 5850 and crossfire them later. thats was the reason for the beastly, its always nice to give yourself that extra headroom for upgrading later on.

krishant007
  • krishant007

• PipPip
  • posts 219

Posted 03 September 2010 - 09:51 AM

i would go with the gtx460 or the 5770 for this rig.. 5850 would be overkill for the purposes.. the gtx460 would play those mmo games well and it will leave room to breath as well.

and i think you can save at least 150 bux if you choose a different power supply and case.. go for a corsair or coolermaster 550 or 600 watts .. you dont need that much power.. eg

https://pricespy.co....ct.php?p=218965

and you shave off 50 bux or so from the case..

hope that helps

Squilliam
  • Squilliam
  • Wannabe

• Pip
  • posts 29

Posted 07 September 2010 - 10:28 AM

You know you could always go for a more basic system.

Something like an Antec Sonata 3 with 500W PSU, Athlon X4, HD 5750, basic motherboard etc. You'd save a heap of money that way and you'd probably find there aren't really any games which would challenge the system too much. It'd save you a heap of money. Its just something to consider.

lazeraptor
  • lazeraptor
  • Apprentice

• PipPipPip
  • posts 349

Posted 07 September 2010 - 11:22 AM

Considering i have to tone down the graphics settings if I want to run any new game at 1920x1080 with my HD5770. Spending the extra money on a graphics card is definitely worth it if you want to play the current and next gen of games at the graphics settings they are supposed to be played at.

DividingByZero
  • DividingByZero

• PipPip
  • posts 185

Posted 07 September 2010 - 11:35 AM

As above. Spending more on a graphics card is usually worth it. My HD5850 can max out most games at 1920x1200 but there are always the poorly optimised games that stretch it (GTA IV could demand up to around 2.6GB of graphics memory to max out textures and draw distance at my resolution).

On the other hand MMOs are pretty easy on graphics requirements so if you are only playing them you needn't worry so much.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users