• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

Ninja_m00se
  • Ninja_m00se

• PipPip
  • posts 190

Posted 17 October 2014 - 08:21 PM

Hi All,

I've owned an xbox one before, but had to sell it to gather some err 'funds' for moving house. I did notice i got alot of hate for owning that console too. Each to their own of course. Now. i've got a plan of a new entertainment suite in my head (and in the form of pricespy lists) for my new home. I was wondering if you guys had any opinions on the console, or Pros and Cons? I've read multiple reviews but people are biased to one another so its never a fair opinion.

thanks for any help given.

Ninja ;)

Intel i5 8600K + deepcool 240mm AIO | ASUS Z370-F Gaming | G.Skill Trident Z 16GB Memory | ASUS ROG GTX 1060 | EVGA Supernova 650W PSU | Samsung 840 EVO x3 | 2TB Seagate Barracuda | Corsair 570X Case

ASUS VC279H Monitor | Logitech G PRO Keyboard + Mouse | Playmax 800mm Mouse Mat | Razer Kraken v2 7.1.

RealOxygen
  • RealOxygen
  • Apprentice

• PipPipPip
  • posts 389

Posted 17 October 2014 - 08:48 PM

Hey there,

I won't even mention the XBOX One, I was on XBOX 360 for 3 years, but the one just has nothing on the PS4 (other than exclusives of course).

I've been a console user for a while, but am on pc now, I'll try my best not to be biased at all. + is pros, = is neutrals, - is cons.

PS4
+Easy to set up
+Controller is more compact than something like this
+Exclusives
+Compact
=It's a console..
-Not upgradeable
-No keyboard
-Not consistant 1080p
-Often more expensive
-Memberships

MEDIA PC
+Its a PC. Emails, flash, whatever, it does it.
+No memberships
+Keyboard
+'Open' for programs etc.
-Initial effort
-Not quite as seamless

Get a media PC if you can, otherwise a PS4 will serve you well. Don't get an xbox one :)
  • LinuxUser likes this

apple cupcakes
  • apple cupcakes

• PipPip
  • posts 131

Posted 17 October 2014 - 08:57 PM

Objectively there isn't much between them. The PS4 is graphically superior, (VERY) generally looking at of 900p for the Xbox One v 1080p for the PS4.

The Xbox One is generally considered to have a better controller, though the PS4's is much much better than the PS3's. The Xbox also has better media playback capabilities, as it now supports DLNA, playback from external devices, 3D BluRay and PLEX if you have a premium subscription compared to the PS4 which has none of this and isn't going to in the near future.

The exclusives are preference, being Halo, Gears, Sunset Overdrive, Froza, Titanfall etc. for Xbox. PS4 has Bloodbourne, Infamous, DriveClub, KillZone, LittleBig Planet and a few more. There are sites which go more in depth with the games.

If you are getting a general entertainment suite, if you wanted a single box the Xbox One is a better bet because of the media functions. If you wanted an HTPC also, the PS4 would be better for multiplats. The exclusives IMO should be a larger factor over multiplats though as the difference between the Xbox One and PS4 is not enormous.

In my experience the best console is often the one which the majority of people you know have. Playing with people more than makes up for most of the disadvantages

I bought an Xbox for Halo when all my mates have PS4's though just to be confusing :)

RealOxygen
  • RealOxygen
  • Apprentice

• PipPipPip
  • posts 389

Posted 17 October 2014 - 09:05 PM

Objectively there isn't much between them. The PS4 is graphically superior, (VERY) generally looking at of 900p for the Xbox One v 1080p for the PS4.

Closer to 720p on XBOX One and 900p on PS4 :/

apple cupcakes
  • apple cupcakes

• PipPip
  • posts 131

Posted 17 October 2014 - 09:15 PM

Yeah sometimes it's that bad. Next-gen ay?
I would suggest get a PC but I know that's not helpful or relevant haha.

LinuxUser
  • LinuxUser
  • PriceSpy

• posts 8,999

Posted 18 October 2014 - 07:55 AM

Hey there,

I won't even mention the XBOX One, I was on XBOX 360 for 3 years, but the one just has nothing on the PS4 (other than exclusives of course).

I've been a console user for a while, but am on pc now, I'll try my best not to be biased at all. + is pros, = is neutrals, - is cons.

PS4
+Easy to set up
+Controller is more compact than something like this
+Exclusives
+Compact
=It's a console..
-Not upgradeable
-No keyboard
-Not consistant 1080p
-Often more expensive
-Memberships

MEDIA PC
+Its a PC. Emails, flash, whatever, it does it.
+No memberships
+Keyboard
+'Open' for programs etc.
-Initial effort
-Not quite as seamless

Get a media PC if you can, otherwise a PS4 will serve you well. Don't get an xbox one :)

You can use a controller on the PC.

But I agree with getting a PC if possible. And it isn't that much more expensive to get something comparable either.

Recommended Power Supplies Recommended review sites Why stores shouldn't be removed RAM voltage

i5 7400, Gigabyte GA-B250M-D3H, 16 GB DDR4, integrated graphics, Adata XPG SX8200 480 GB (NVMe), 3x Kingston SSDNow KC380 120 GB, Corsair MX100 128 GB, Spinpoint F3 1TB HDD, DVD writer, all inside a wood case I built, Dell U2412M 24", U2311H 23" IPS and Philips 150B4 15" monitors, wood-bodied mouse, Dvorak keyboard, openSUSE Tumbleweed, Windows 8.1 Pro in a VB VM inside Linux

I may occasionally give advice regarding (consumer) law, but it is only my opinion based on my reading – I am not a lawyer.

Romans 3:23; 6:23; 5:8; 10:9-10,13

Ninja_m00se
  • Ninja_m00se

• PipPip
  • posts 190

Posted 18 October 2014 - 08:32 AM

I currently have my gaming PC set up in my office (the one in my signature) but was trying to steer away from the xbox and another pc. Trying to make it tidy. Maybe just a blu ray player set up would be better do you guys reckon?

Intel i5 8600K + deepcool 240mm AIO | ASUS Z370-F Gaming | G.Skill Trident Z 16GB Memory | ASUS ROG GTX 1060 | EVGA Supernova 650W PSU | Samsung 840 EVO x3 | 2TB Seagate Barracuda | Corsair 570X Case

ASUS VC279H Monitor | Logitech G PRO Keyboard + Mouse | Playmax 800mm Mouse Mat | Razer Kraken v2 7.1.

peanutformula
  • peanutformula
  • Amateur

• PipPip
  • posts 65

Posted 18 October 2014 - 08:33 AM

Hey there i have a ps4 and a gaming pc and to be quite honest i havn't turned on the ps4 since i finished playing the last of us,there doesn't seem to be alot of games out yet im sure i will use it again once some decent ones come out that are console exclusive but currently it was a bit of a waste of $ for me,

Console wise it does seem to be very good to use though the controller is a huge improvment over the ps4 and runs well my only complaint would be that the ''ui'' can be a bit awkward to navigate through at times
  • Ninja_m00se and RealOxygen like this

RealOxygen
  • RealOxygen
  • Apprentice

• PipPipPip
  • posts 389

Posted 18 October 2014 - 09:10 AM

You can use a controller on the PC.

But I agree with getting a PC if possible. And it isn't that much more expensive to get something comparable either.

Sorry, I didn't make myself clear, I mean for media usage, not gaming. You may be able to use a controller for that, but certainly not very easily.

I currently have my gaming PC set up in my office (the one in my signature) but was trying to steer away from the xbox and another pc. Trying to make it tidy. Maybe just a blu ray player set up would be better do you guys reckon?

Check out getting a high power barebones unit like zotac's zbox line, but a PS4 may be the way to go for you. Just do some good research. Personally, I would go for a media PC in a cube case :)

nztdm
  • nztdm
  • Amateur

• PipPip
  • posts 91

Posted 18 October 2014 - 09:23 PM

You can build a PC that is 1/4 the size of a PS4 for media, far more capable for media. And a lot less expensive.

Antec ISK 110 case.

MonoCase: Fully custom case and modified PSU. Entire system only 14% larger than a PS4. Click for pics!

Intel Core i5-4670 3.8GHz, 1x8GB 1600MHz CL9 Kingston Low-Profile, 500GB Samsung 840 EVO, EVGA GTX 970 SC ACX2.0, Gigabyte H87N-WiFi Rev2.0, Silverstone NT07-115X, Athena AP-MFATX50P8 (modified), Realtek RTL8191SE, Custom RGB LED controller system.

master_nz
  • master_nz
  • Rookie

• posts 1

Posted 18 October 2014 - 10:27 PM

I say the choice of console depends on the games. I see consoles as sole gaming machine. I would go for Xbox one as the exclusives can't be found on any other console. Mainly halo franchise. That is the same reason i have a 3ds and wii u, Mario and Pokémon. I am not interested in any ps4 titles, and one I am can be found on other platforms. Consoles can go on Internet, play videos and view pics but the user experience is poor compared to a pc. That is why I recently build a htpc. It doesn't look out of place in my entertainment unit as its build in the silverstone GD08 case. You can build a decent htpc for as little as $850. Get a wireless controller and you can play games on the big screen. STEAM is a great place to pick up really cheap games. Htpc are for media play back, Network attach storage, downloading torrents, gaming, Web browsing. One final word, Games make or break a console.
  • apple cupcakes likes this

RealOxygen
  • RealOxygen
  • Apprentice

• PipPipPip
  • posts 389

Posted 19 October 2014 - 07:48 AM

You can build a PC that is 1/4 the size of a PS4 for media, far more capable for media. And a lot less expensive.

Antec ISK 110 case.

No expansion slots = no GPU. Dealbreaker for gaming :/
  • LinuxUser likes this

tehkhop
  • tehkhop
  • Veteran

• PipPipPipPip
  • posts 1,511

Posted 19 October 2014 - 09:41 AM

And then there's the MC Collection, which runs at 1080p on the Xbox One and looks AMAZING.

This isn't really talked about, but the Xbox One will soon be getting tiled resources (I think the MC Collection is the first to bring that in? I also think that's why it does 1080p 60fps, compared to Destiny's 1080p 30fps, when they're on such similar engines.), which will improve performance.

I've also personally noticed the Xbox One has slightly better anti-aliasing than the PS4, but that could just be me.

On the PC vs Console, everyone has bias, it's a personal thing. I personally like both, but consoles better.
Computers: Sirius | HP 650 15" Celeron Laptop
Mobile Devices: OnePlus One 64GB | iPad Mini 16GB White | Cheap 10.1" Android Tablet | HP Touchpad
Stuff Ralph54 owes me: 1GB Black USB Stick | SATA 3 cable | IDE/SATA to USB | 8GB Black USB Stick

RealOxygen
  • RealOxygen
  • Apprentice

• PipPipPip
  • posts 389

Posted 19 October 2014 - 10:27 AM

I've also personally noticed the Xbox One has slightly better anti-aliasing than the PS4, but that could just be me.

On the PC vs Console, everyone has bias, it's a personal thing. I personally like both, but consoles better.

You'd probably notice this as XBOX runs at native 720p, with AA, and PS4 runs at 900p upscaled to 1080p, so blurry 1080p, with less AA :) That's in BF4 at least.

Curious, why do you think this?

tehkhop
  • tehkhop
  • Veteran

• PipPipPipPip
  • posts 1,511

Posted 19 October 2014 - 10:58 AM

Curious, why do you think this?

I find it more immersive sitting infront of the 55" TV, with my surround sound.
That plus tactile feedback just makes consoles more fun for me.
Mobile Devices: OnePlus One 64GB | iPad Mini 16GB White | Cheap 10.1" Android Tablet | HP Touchpad
Stuff Ralph54 owes me: 1GB Black USB Stick | SATA 3 cable | IDE/SATA to USB | 8GB Black USB Stick

RealOxygen
  • RealOxygen
  • Apprentice

• PipPipPip
  • posts 389

Posted 19 October 2014 - 11:03 AM

PCs do this too, better ;)

And this - you can hook up an XBOX One or PS4 controller with full vibration support to a small form factor media pc.
  • LinuxUser and eliongater like this

Ralph54
  • Ralph54
  • Apprentice

• PipPipPip
  • posts 305

Posted 19 October 2014 - 11:18 AM

Since when were 55" TVs only compatible with consoles.. Same goes with surround :P.
  • MassaHarri, LinuxUser, eliongater and 1 other like this

Dave: 4.5Ghz i5 3570k, 8GB G.Skill RAM 1866mhz, 7950, 120GB 840 Series SSD, HX650
Other Stuff: Dell UltraSharp U2312HM, Nexus 5 16GB

tehkhop
  • tehkhop
  • Veteran

• PipPipPipPip
  • posts 1,511

Posted 19 October 2014 - 11:28 AM

I personally hate it when people say this, because realistically, I'm not dragging my PC through to my TV, or my Console through to my setup.

So that's why it's better for me.

Also, you get nearly 0 hackers/cheaters on consoles, compared to PC (ofc that's a generalization, but still a very accurate one).

Ralph54
  • Ralph54
  • Apprentice

• PipPipPip
  • posts 305

Posted 19 October 2014 - 11:35 AM

I personally hate it when people say this, because realistically, I'm not dragging my PC through to my TV, or my Console through to my setup.

You could however buy a second PC for the same price as a console and hook that up to your TV.

Personally, I don't mind console gaming at all, but with all the crap that goes on (yes, I'm looking at you Ubisoft) I prefer to boycott anything to do with it.
  • LinuxUser and RealOxygen like this

Dave: 4.5Ghz i5 3570k, 8GB G.Skill RAM 1866mhz, 7950, 120GB 840 Series SSD, HX650
Other Stuff: Dell UltraSharp U2312HM, Nexus 5 16GB

RealOxygen
  • RealOxygen
  • Apprentice

• PipPipPip
  • posts 389

Posted 19 October 2014 - 11:59 AM

Also, you get nearly 0 hackers/cheaters on consoles, compared to PC (ofc that's a generalization, but still a very accurate one).

I absolutely agree with you, console just is for some people, and I respect that. I'd just like people to know that having a dedicated gaming pc, as well as a dedicated media PC to replace a console in the lounge is a good, and more importantly, a viable idea.

The hacking thing is very exaggerated.. I've been on console for the same time as PC, and only found 1 hacker on AAA titles, over both platforms. Found a bunch on Rust, just the same as I found a bunch on WaW on the xbox.
  • LinuxUser and KrazyKap like this

Word Of Madness
  • Word Of Madness
  • Veteran

• PipPipPipPip
  • posts 2,186

Posted 19 October 2014 - 12:14 PM

Rubbish.

I haven't seen a hacker/scripter/cheater on PC since I stopped playing F2P titles. Stuff like Planetside 2 or TF2 you'd maybe see a couple per week at most, and in PS2 it wasn't that big of deal since you could easily just redeploy to another base and avoid them. The only time you see lots of hackers is if you play stuff like Combat Arms/War Rock/Soldier Front. Maybe you see more in games like CoD or DayZ since they tend to attract that sort of crowd.
  • Ralph54, KrazyKap and RealOxygen like this
|| Big Bear || Viceroy || Viceroy Build Log || Peripherals ||
|| Steam ||
|| My name does not have an "L" in it ||

apple cupcakes
  • apple cupcakes

• PipPip
  • posts 131

Posted 19 October 2014 - 04:31 PM

There are some definate exceptions to this on console. Call of Duty 4 and WaW are both infested with hackers, whilst the newer games seem to have far fewer though still there (chopper gunner aimbot in MW2 is the dumbest thing I've ever seen).

As far as aimbots go on console it seem to be largely limited. Halo had lag switch problems on 360 though thta shoulnd't be a problem with MCC because of MS dedicated servers.

ireshine
  • ireshine

• PipPip
  • posts 105

Posted 19 October 2014 - 05:33 PM

PS4(or any console) are easy to setup and get straight to what you want to do. (limits are except)
Limits: There are currently 387 games https://en.wikipedia...Station_4_games
unknown how many programs/apps

console are like one tricky pony , but maybe you like that trick... a lot

PC are difficult to choose.... and your limits are restricted (but not permanently) to your hardware of choice.
incomplete list of 650 games https://en.wikipedia..._PC_video_games
excluding emulators for sega-(all of them)/arcade machines(most of them)/most of nintendo consoles/Android games.
Program/apps... a lot okay!

PC are a love hate relationship, but we will make it work.

RealOxygen
  • RealOxygen
  • Apprentice

• PipPipPip
  • posts 389

Posted 19 October 2014 - 06:49 PM

I think we're missing the point...

Essentially,

Media PC > PS4 > XBOX One

Settled.
  • LinuxUser likes this

Word Of Madness
  • Word Of Madness
  • Veteran

• PipPipPipPip
  • posts 2,186

Posted 19 October 2014 - 08:15 PM

I think we're missing the point...

Essentially,

Media PC > PS4 > XBOX One

Settled.

For media use I think the XB1 wins out over the PS4. For gaming it's the other way around. That is unless you prefer one sides exclusive titles, or have more friends with that console. Another advantage of having a HTPC for gaming use is that your games work on both, and with streaming systems getting better, using a small low-end PC may become a viable gaming system if you've already a gaming desktop and a collection of games.
  • apple cupcakes and LinuxUser like this
|| Steam ||

19th
  • 19th
  • Apprentice

• PipPipPip
  • posts 644

Posted 20 October 2014 - 02:03 AM

There are some definate exceptions to this on console. Call of Duty 4 and WaW are both infested with hackers, whilst the newer games seem to have far fewer though still there (chopper gunner aimbot in MW2 is the dumbest thing I've ever seen).

As far as aimbots go on console it seem to be largely limited. Halo had lag switch problems on 360 though thta shoulnd't be a problem with MCC because of MS dedicated servers.

I have played a metric tonne of Call of Duty 4 and Black Ops on PC and hackers were absolutely few and far between, if you play on any decent servers, they are moderated and players are able to vote-kick. During the time I had an Xbox 360 I came across far more people who had their rapid-fire controllers etc.

Word Of Madness
  • Word Of Madness
  • Veteran

• PipPipPipPip
  • posts 2,186

Posted 20 October 2014 - 02:28 AM

I have played a metric tonne of Call of Duty 4 and Black Ops on PC and hackers were absolutely few and far between, if you play on any decent servers, they are moderated and players are able to vote-kick. During the time I had an Xbox 360 I came across far more people who had their rapid-fire controllers etc.

;)
|| Steam ||

RealOxygen
  • RealOxygen
  • Apprentice

• PipPipPip
  • posts 389

Posted 20 October 2014 - 06:48 AM

Funny story, I accidentally bought a rapid fire controller :P

Ninja_m00se
  • Ninja_m00se

• PipPip
  • posts 190

Posted 20 October 2014 - 04:14 PM

I'm leaning more to a PS4, as i've owned the xbox one before, and i also have a decent gaming computer for my house. I'm just looking at a console really not much more. Just wanted to know if the PS4 was good

RealOxygen
  • RealOxygen
  • Apprentice

• PipPipPip
  • posts 389

Posted 20 October 2014 - 06:31 PM

I'm leaning more to a PS4, as i've owned the xbox one before, and i also have a decent gaming computer for my house. I'm just looking at a console really not much more. Just wanted to know if the PS4 was good

Cool, just make sure you make the right choice :)
  • Ninja_m00se likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users