• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

TomSahz
  • TomSahz
  • Master

• PipPipPipPip
  • posts 2,903

Posted 24 July 2016 - 01:56 PM

Josh's recent thread on VPS providers reminded me that I'm in the market to change my shared host. My current host is based in Australia, and speed is good, but they seem to have lots of random outages that they explain as DDoS or 'issues with their upstream provider' and I'm a bit over it. That said, if I can't find anything better than what I have I probably won't bother switching.

My website is just a basic personal site (wordpress) and blog that I'm trying to use to promote myself amongst others in my industry. I don't need anything too fancy. It actually seems harder to find a good host at the lower end as the saturated market leads many to oversell their capability, and its hard to find genuine reviews.

Just wondering if anyone can recommend a decent shared host for wordpress? My requirements are modest:

Budget: ~NZ$15 /month
Prefer cPanel
2-3GB storage   
Decent email support is a must
Don't need a huge amount of bandwidth or mail accounts

Domain is registered separately for another 4 years

Server location can be anywhere, but my first host was in the US and I was a bit underwhelmed by speed, so ideally NZ or Australia. I'm aware I can use a CDN like CloudFlare but after some testing I'm not sold on the benefits for smaller sites like mine.

LinuxUser
  • LinuxUser
  • PriceSpy

• posts 9,005

Posted 25 July 2016 - 09:54 AM

$15 / month is quite a bit, so you've got plenty of options. Unfortunately I've had very little contact with support at anywhere I can suggest. I'd probably recommend Freeparking, which is $150 + GST per year (= $172.50 = ~$14.38 / month), including a free domain name. Or OpenHost (which was suggested in that same thread) at either $7 + GST (but only 1 GB storage) or  $11 + GST per month (= $12.65 = $151.80 / year = $20.70 less than Freeparking, or about the cost of the domain name), although they don't use cPanel (they use Plesk instead). However, OpenHost is owned by a group that owns several web hosts, and another one of theirs, FlexiHost, has the same pricing but does use cPanel. So yeah, I don't really know what is best.

• TomSahz likes this

Recommended Power Supplies Recommended review sites Why stores shouldn't be removed RAM voltage

i5 7400, Gigabyte GA-B250M-D3H, 16 GB DDR4, integrated graphics, Adata XPG SX8200 480 GB (NVMe), 3x Kingston SSDNow KC380 120 GB, Corsair MX100 128 GB, Spinpoint F3 1TB HDD, DVD writer, all inside a wood case I built, Dell U2412M 24", U2311H 23" IPS and Philips 150B4 15" monitors, wood-bodied mouse, Dvorak keyboard, openSUSE Tumbleweed, Windows 8.1 Pro in a VB VM inside Linux

I may occasionally give advice regarding (consumer) law, but it is only my opinion based on my reading – I am not a lawyer.

Romans 3:23; 6:23; 5:8; 10:9-10,13

TomSahz
  • TomSahz
  • Master

• PipPipPipPip
  • posts 2,903

Posted 25 July 2016 - 03:14 PM

$15 / month is quite a bit, so you've got plenty of options. Unfortunately I've had very little contact with support at anywhere I can suggest. I'd probably recommend Freeparking, which is $150 + GST per year (= $172.50 = ~$14.38 / month), including a free domain name. Or OpenHost (which was suggested in that same thread) at either $7 + GST (but only 1 GB storage) or  $11 + GST per month (= $12.65 = $151.80 / year = $20.70 less than Freeparking, or about the cost of the domain name), although they don't use cPanel (they use Plesk instead). However, OpenHost is owned by a group that owns several web hosts, and another one of theirs, FlexiHost, has the same pricing but does use cPanel. So yeah, I don't really know what is best.

Thanks, I didn't see FlexiHost, might check them out a bit more. I liked the look of OpenHost but didn't want to have to learn another management style so Flexi seems like a good fit.

Edit: They seem to have lots of complaints on No Cowboys, well so do OpenHost. The FlexiHost ones talk about service dropping after being acquired by OpenHost. I'll probably avoid both.

I can understand why NZ hosts can't offer better pricing, but if they can't offer decent support either then maybe I'll have to look overseas again.

tehkhop
  • tehkhop
  • Veteran

• PipPipPipPip
  • posts 1,511

Posted 25 July 2016 - 05:38 PM

Personally I've used HostGator, and GoDaddy in the past.

GoDaddy was good, but after all the controversy around them, and nothing too fabulous I switched to hostgator. 

Hostgator was very affordable and just completely average everything else. Nothing to complain about, good price. But nothing overly amazing.

I have heard really good things about dreamhost as well though.

A friend of mine hosts a wordpress site that's fairly popular with 5k ish hits a day, and he raves about his provider. I can't remember the place, but I'll ask him and let you know.

• TomSahz likes this
Computers: Sirius | HP 650 15" Celeron Laptop
Mobile Devices: OnePlus One 64GB | iPad Mini 16GB White | Cheap 10.1" Android Tablet | HP Touchpad
Stuff Ralph54 owes me: 1GB Black USB Stick | SATA 3 cable | IDE/SATA to USB | 8GB Black USB Stick

Sury
  • Sury
  • Amateur

• PipPip
  • posts 61

Posted 25 July 2016 - 10:12 PM

Bit off topic.. but a little info about these companies.

WebDrive owned Openhost and it's running all out of the same data center and when you ring support it's the same people, but they answer accordingly depending on which company you are trying to contact.
They also owned Domain4Less.

Sometime in 2014, Web Drive was brought by DigiWeb and all these companies were put under the 1 company called Umbrellar but trade under their own branding still.
Umbrellar is the company that LinuxUser is referring to, but technically it is DigiWeb.

Freeparking is also owned by Umbrellar.

I am not sure what other companies DigiWeb own, but if they continue to buy out all the other hosting companies in NZ, they will become a monopoly in the market.

Webdrive/Openhost had good support staff back in the day, but things have gone a bit down hill since DigiWeb brought them.

Edited by Sury, 25 July 2016 - 10:13 PM.

Corsair 750D | Asus Z97 Deluxe(NFC & WLC) | Intel i7 4690K | Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB DDR3 | Gigabyte G1 980TI | Samsung 840 256GB | Samsung 850 Evo 500GB | WD Blue 1TB | Sound Blaster Z | Corsair AX1200i | Noiseblocker BlackSilent Pro Fans
Custom Water Cooled: EK GPU Block | Koolance 380i CPU Block | Bitspower Fittings | Bitspower 150 Upgrade Kit | Bitspower D5 Mod Top | Bitspower D5 Mod Kit | SwifTech D5 Pump | PrimoChill Compression Fittings | Primochill PETG Tubing

LinuxUser
  • LinuxUser
  • PriceSpy

• posts 9,005

Posted 26 July 2016 - 10:17 AM

Interesting... I didn't realise that! The name I was thinking of was actually "Internet Services Group Limited", and I didn't realise it went any further, but you're exactly right.

Recommended Power Supplies Recommended review sites Why stores shouldn't be removed RAM voltage

i5 7400, Gigabyte GA-B250M-D3H, 16 GB DDR4, integrated graphics, Adata XPG SX8200 480 GB (NVMe), 3x Kingston SSDNow KC380 120 GB, Corsair MX100 128 GB, Spinpoint F3 1TB HDD, DVD writer, all inside a wood case I built, Dell U2412M 24", U2311H 23" IPS and Philips 150B4 15" monitors, wood-bodied mouse, Dvorak keyboard, openSUSE Tumbleweed, Windows 8.1 Pro in a VB VM inside Linux

I may occasionally give advice regarding (consumer) law, but it is only my opinion based on my reading – I am not a lawyer.

Romans 3:23; 6:23; 5:8; 10:9-10,13

TomSahz
  • TomSahz
  • Master

• PipPipPipPip
  • posts 2,903

Posted 26 July 2016 - 02:13 PM

@Sury: Thanks for the info. After seeing a lot of unhappy reviews on nocowboys I'm leaning away from Umbrellar brands.

@Tehkhop: Keen to hear what your friend recommends.

tehkhop
  • tehkhop
  • Veteran

• PipPipPipPip
  • posts 1,511

Posted 26 July 2016 - 10:13 PM

I spoke to my mate and he uses Media Temple, though it's 20 USD a month minimum, so that would be like $28.

Bit outside your budget, but if you want to see what you could get for more, you can have a look.

• TomSahz likes this
Computers: Sirius | HP 650 15" Celeron Laptop
Mobile Devices: OnePlus One 64GB | iPad Mini 16GB White | Cheap 10.1" Android Tablet | HP Touchpad
Stuff Ralph54 owes me: 1GB Black USB Stick | SATA 3 cable | IDE/SATA to USB | 8GB Black USB Stick

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users